Editorials
This reminds me of Titanic but with a weaker storyline
Youth of May is a 12-ep melodrama that follows a romance between a nurse and a son of a dictator. They fell in love during the Gwangju Uprising conflict, and because of their parent's background, their relationship gets complicated. This show has 12 episodes.What got me interested in Youth of May is the characters and their effort to overcome the conflict. Youth of May is absolutely what I would call a plot-driven show. There’s basically no breathing room to really feel comfortable, nor to get invested in a few of the relationships that were formed within the show.
The problem that stands out to me is the romance, yes even though I appreciate the actor's performance and their setup for this romance at first, the pair actually get together, and there's great tension, but no chemistry. As soon as they do get together, their relationship milestones and choices all seem mindless. I don't get why they act a certain way. Their story progression feels slow to me and I don't personally feel as connected with them.
The midpoint episodes were quite a drag for me to get through. I didn't find any character growth, nor did I enjoy watching them. Instead of dealing with the conflicts, the drama shows a lot of self-inflicted misery which contributes a little to the progressions of the story and makes me bored.
I found the ending so dissatisfying, I really felt nothing. In the last two episodes, I wasn't shocked by any of the climaxes, I wasn't sad, I was pretty emotionless because I could see that the show was ending and I just didn't care. It seems that Youth of May gains popularity due to the "based on real event“ cover, but the storyline is weak and unfocused so it doesn’t buy my sympathy. So my overall rating for Youth of May is 5.5/10
Was this review helpful to you?
Heartwarming story but it's not as engaging as I thought it is
This drama is very warm-hearted in the beginning, but the episodic nature of the drama becomes a bit repetitive. I could not get as sad about the second and third clients, after the first one. The story involving the uncle and Geu Ru's dad is the part I like the most.I have a problem with the character's progressions: If the show spends some time letting Han Geu Ru feels devastated at first from the trauma of losing his dad and the unexpected intrusion from his guardian, and then we see him recovering from it, I would pay more sympathy. Instead, he seems to be undisturbed and can maintain his work productivity at the same level as when he's doing it with his dad. I appreciate his independence, but it feels too unnatural / fairytale-like. This is not the first time I see an Asperger syndrome lead portrayal in a drama. Tang Jun Sang did very well, but he's a bit stiff.
In the last episode, I see they planted some plot seeds in order for romance to develop, and I don't want this! The story should maintain its' uniqueness as its' strength and not start something unrelated, in order to continue the story. Apparently, there is no second season confirmed, so I feel somewhat at ease :)
I don’t regret watching it, though. It's a beautiful story.
Was this review helpful to you?
Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramun
4 people found this review helpful
Beautiful drama albeit not perfect
What I really enjoyed are the fighting scene, the war and the epic visuals. Great pacing, and good casting all around! Lee Joon Gi's screen presence and his role as Eun Som especially live up beyond my expectation. They couldn't have picked a more perfect recast than Lee Joon Gi! He does all his own stunts, is a master in actions so I knew he would be spectacular in this. The only recast that devastated me is Tanya, I found no passion in her line deliveries.I miss the very pretty Tanya and Saya… they are not the same here. In defense of the time jump: their portrayals did change as how their characters come across here. they grow up and their political positions and motivation also evolve, so I eventually accept that. I feel bad a bit towards Saya as he seems to be the most inferior among Tanya, Eunsom, or Tagon. Tanya pity him too for his role in prophecy, Eun Som is now a war leader beloved by people, Tagon sees Eun Som as a threat but not towards Saya, I wish he is given a bigger role... I mean, he's children of prophecy too.
I admit that it is hard to appreciate significance of the mythology aspect, if you haven’t watched season 1. I went back to rewatch season 1 before got on board with season 2. Personally, I think the previous season's costumes and music are superior. I don’t think her romance trope necessary, it feels more like a reward than earned. The ending is well-wrapped up and I am satisfied if the drama ends here. I watched it with a patriotic passion I felt watching Mr. Sunshine!
Was this review helpful to you?
Well-made thriller and underrated
A struggling writer (Jung Woo) deep in debt encounters a mysterious boy (Baek Hyun Sung) who has lost all his memories, but has a strange ability to physically feel the despair of others. His presence provokes a hint to an unsolved murder, leading them to investigate the case and form an unlikely bond beyond the present time.The story set up is intriguing and fresh. An aspiring writer that ends up being tangled in a murder mystery, due to the story in his debut novel which threatens his career as well. The time travel and murder mystery were done well, better than most dramas with these tropes I watched since 2023. The fantasy element was fun and emotional. Bae Hyun Sung showed very good acting as the miracle boy, especially when he’s deep in trance under his superpower. There is a plot hole, but it didn’t bother me as much when it ends.
The male lead himself is goofy and selfish, but his story is fun because I was anticipating the consequences from his actions. What stands out to me was his bond with Baek Hyun Sung, Oh Man Seok’s characters and his hate-bromance hijinks with his boss. Shout-out to Lee Ki Woo, his cocky boss portrayal was so fun. Another memorable point was the OST History and Mystery, although imo it fits best for historical dramas. If you like time-travel and thriller genre, give this one a try!
Was this review helpful to you?
Unlike stereotypical strong female characters, the show is not really about women trying to break the system or workplace hierarchy because they're already in positions of authority. It's truly about strong women and their interactions together, both as rivals but then also a growing friendship. There's betrayal and there's relying on each other. There's something so incredible about seeing women portrayed in such a dynamic way that doesn't happen very often. There were definitely moments where I just grinned because "This representation is so cool.“ I didn't realize how much of a big deal the trending words were in Korea, or at least how much this show emphasizes them in Korea. That cultural difference is interesting to me.
For the first few episodes, I was aware of the fact that I think we had too much estrogen, so I don't know how much guys are going to enjoy this because there are not many people for them to relate to, but I'm having a good day. I believe the true love story are between these ladies. The main reason of why I like the story is because these characters, they're not perfect, they still show moments of femininity. Like, Scarlet, has some anger management issues. But again, seeing her just wreck and taking such enjoyment out of breaking things is just epic. I think I'm really strongly getting queer-baited, so the a romantic subplot is for me so boring. As much as swoony the male characters are, the romance is never exciting.
Was this review helpful to you?
Run On is a drama that is not baiting for my attention as it has a very subdued vibe, but I enjoyed it very much. Not many external conflicts going on, it’s a character-driven show where the main and supporting characters’ plot are very much intertwined. I like Sun Gyeom's quirky and very kind-hearted personality, and I’m enjoying how he interacts with people around him. I appreciate how he’s very blunt to anyone. The romance is also toned-down but wholesome. Sun Gyeom and Mi Joo’s chemistry is a lot softer than most Kdramas, it feels very realistic and heartfelt. The secondary romance of Dan Ah and Young Hwa I wasn’t really paying attention for their plot but they have great emotional moments.
Another highlights for me is the playful, quiet, subdued humor in the show, it was pretty clever and sharp, those moments were few and precious. For example, when Seon Gyeom wakes up in the morning and he's getting ready for his morning run as it has been his routine for years. One morning, when he's getting ready, he stops halfway and realizes that he doesn't have a reason to run anymore, so he turns around, throws off his jacket, kicks off his shoes, and rolls back into bed. I found that’s absolutely hilarious! This is just a small no-dialogue moment but so memorable. Also, I am happy to see a positive representations of LGBTQ characters here, as they are seen as part of society. The only nitpick I want to mention is that there’s something missing throughout my watching experience… Although the character development of the main lead was great, it felt slightly boring. Overall, I am happy to have known these characters.
Was this review helpful to you?
What struck me about Misaeng was how instantly I was drawn and invested to the characters. Every character, lead and support all play a critical role in someone's arc. Mr. Oh who is our male lead's team leader. He is known to be a chill but meticulous worker, and I absolutely loved his interaction and his developing relationship with GeuRae. And then I also loved watching him try and balance his moral integrity with some of the kind of sketchy work situations that he's put into.
Through our female lead we explore some sexist attitudes. There is a lot more going on with her beyond just being a woman in an all-boys club kind of environment, which takes a while to develop. There are quite a few questions that keep getting presented throughout the course of the series that keep you engaged, and her backstory is one of them.
Next, we have Byun Yo Han's character who I see as 'the free-rider': The one that do nothing in a groupwork but swoop in last minute to get all of the credit. He is a little extravagant and quite annoying, but as the show develops, I see his motivations, his backstory, and he becomes one of my favorites. His arc and struggle with his boss feels very relatable.
Lastly is Kang Haneul's character. He is the intern that has it all on paper, he's got all the background and confidence... Essentially everything that our male lead lacks. However, he struggles to connect with his boss and find fulfillment from his work. And because of that, he looks to our male lead, who thrives in this environment, he gets a little bit jealous. Honestly the pairing of them was just brilliant.
I really enjoy the realistic and very genuine humor, such as characters will say the same joke once, twice, even three times throughout the series, and then it will be used to create new comedy. We will recognize the same joke and it evolves into something new. It reminded me of the inside jokes that we develop with people in our real lives, like when Mr. Oh kept tripping people and then saying the same thing after he tripped different people. I thought that was hilarious.
I have two cons. The first one being the premise is never fulfilled. Based on our male lead being admitted as an intern due to his connections, it's a really big deal in the first few episodes, as well as his GO mindset was often portrayed but it never manifests into anything special. The second one is the pacing in most episodes are very slow, ans since this series is long, it might be boring to some. But if you're interested at all, it's worth it. If you watch the first episode and are not feeling it, I think you're safe to drop it as it is a good indication of what the entire series is going to be about.
Was this review helpful to you?
So good! Maybe not for everyone
D.P. centers around the daily life of men during their mandatory military service. Our male lead was recruited into the D.P. division of the military due to his innate critical thinking ability. It is there that he joins up with a few different seniors as they track down deserters.Disclaimer: I am not familiar with official military titles, so I won't touch on that in this review.
If you're like me and all you ever really knew about this series was that it depicted systemic harassment and bullying in a gut-wrenching way, I'm here to tell you that, yes, those elements are there, but they're presented very well. This is not just harassment for harassment's sake. There's a message and as the viewer, I am getting the messages that are intended.
It has great characters, really beautiful writing, and a story that is about the human condition. Every character is given a surprising amount of depth, and even our antagonists are treated in the end as real people with their own internal struggles and demons. I find it comparable to "My Mister" and "Misaeng", those are all shows that I feel strongly represent the human condition, and so does "D.P." with as much seriousness and respect for the viewer as these ones did. Go into D.P. with caution. Do be prepared for those hard-to-watch, gory scenes. If the scenes are too much, you can always skip ahead. I'm not saying to put aside your own mental health and personal well-being just to watch a TV show.
The action are done well: From chase scenes to hand-to-hand combat, everything has the right type of tension, and the stakes are there. The soundtrack perfectly represents the feelings of the characters and the overall vibe of the show, too. The show has an episodic nature, like, "Let's catch the deserter of the episode," this might be a con to some, but it helps to understand the world and how things work. If episodic storytelling is not your thing, no worries as It transitions into the main climactic arc.
Was this review helpful to you?
Great on the 1st half, meh on the 2nd half...
BIG MOUTH refers to Park Chang Ho, as he is known to talk big but can not follow it up. He’s also a lawyer with a very low winning rate. One day, he was framed as a notorious swindler "Big Mouse" and sent to prison. Since the real “Big Mouse” is still a mystery, his wife Mi Ho is now struggling to prove her husband's innocence…First, the premise is gripping as we quickly presented with the big question "Who is Big Mouse?“ It kept me wondering on who is Big Mouth and his motives. I enjoy seeing Chang Ho’s gruesome experience in prison and his dynamic with his wife, Mi Ho. I love the suspense and how they address a realistic political issue.
Then the reveal happened and it was so underwhelming... It feels that the drama lost its’ steam. We were introduced to so many plot points but it continues solely on hero vs villain plot, while sacrificing some characters at no cost. There’s a time jump towards the ending, and all that happened afterwards made me upset. The sequence of events were rushed and the huge blow I was expecting feel a bit off. Had they build up the finale properly, I’m sure it would’ve been more impactful.
This is my first Lee Jong Suk dramas and his psycho acting was entertaining. Apart from him, the acting of Kim Joo Heon was enjoyable, especially his fake crying and facial expressions. Overall, Big Mouth shows amazing performance and story until the reveal happened, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt and feel free to watch it!
Was this review helpful to you?
Often an omnibus-style dramas like this can feel episodic and mundane to a point, but the way it portrayed community spirit was authentic and that makes it very much worth-watching. It’s not a plot-driven drama, it’s a drama that leaves you pondering about the relationships you hold in your own life. Personally, some stories weren't as engaging as some others because I couldn't relate with them, but each story delivered profound messages. It is one of those intricate emotional series with hidden depth characters that show friendship, romance, community and reconciliation.
Was this review helpful to you?
friendship is a blessing just as wonderful besides romance.
LOVESTRUCK IN THE CITY is a story compilation of people whose lives interlinked one another. Our two leads meet in the beach and got lovestruck at first sight. After few weeks of sweet roses and butterfly moments together, they parted ways after made promise to reconnect in Seoul, where miscommunications, conflict and consequences starts to unfold…The unique aspect of this drama is it’s presented in documentary-style interviews in present-day Seoul, done in a refreshing way so I think most will enjoy. Five characters with varied personalities are being interviewed on love, sex, and relationships. It is fun because whenever a question was asked, someone will give their opinion and the next person is like replying with a completely opposite opinion.
Through these present-day interviews, the story segues to our two leads‘ past through the very BEAUTIFUL beach scenes. These flashbacks showed how they met, became friends and lovers. More than the plot, I was enchanted by the overall shot of these dreamy and romantic scenes! The chemistry between the leads is electric, fun and free-spirited through and through. Also the OSTs are wonderful! Every time a song played I noticed how much I was vibing with it.
I think the relationship between the two leads was nice, both then and now as they go through various complexities, it is realistic. I like how they switched the perspectives from our male lead's to our female lead, as it really fleshed out her identity crisis. The drama also emphasize that friendship is a blessing just as wonderful besides romance.
My con is the ending cameo, so spoiler warning! Why would they spend the conclusion focusing on a supporting character love interest with a brand-new character? It would not be a problem if told not in the finale I feel satisfied with ep 16 ending, where it fits the actual ending of the show
Was this review helpful to you?
If you think Imaginary Cat is a silly fantasy feline, I assure you: The cat is real!
Jong Hyun, an aspiring but struggling webtoon writer, has been loving and caring his sassy cat Bok Ghil for 7 years. Enters Na Woo, a café part-timer who lost her cat long time ago, and she's ambitiously drawn to both Jong Hyun and Bok Gil.If you think Imaginary Cat is a silly fantasy feline, I assure you: The cat is real! I am surprisingly impressed for the depth within the story, beyond this strange title! This is not a fluffy romcom drama with a cat subplot... More than that, it focuses on Jong Hyun's emotional journey on his career and personal struggles. Him and his cat’s moments propel his character growth, I think the plot is brilliant! There's a romance subplot, but the female lead wasn’t appealing because she’s constantly being so nosy by invading Jong Hyun’s personal space.
Both Yoo Seung Ho and the cat Bok Ghil were connecting with each other so well that I enjoy this drama solely for their chemistry. Their scenes are uniquely shot from a cat person’s perspective. Also, we can hear the cat’s inner thoughts; which I want to thank the screenwriters for writing Bok Ghil scripts awesomely. They did their research on cat's logics and behavior really well. I believe that this story was written by a cat lover, that stay true consistently until the end.
There are several emotional plot twists that had me giggling, crying so hard. I ended up re-watching the whole series after it’s done. I appreciate how the plot is going and how they are portrayed in the story. I would recommend this to any animal lovers. It’s a short watch (8 eps @35 min), so if you want to feel an endearing cat-loving journey, please watch Imaginary Cat.
Was this review helpful to you?
"Dance, even if you trip!“
One Day Off aka Park Ha Kyung-travel diary. She’s a teacher at a high school who spend her Saturdays off doing one day trips.Sunsets, bakeries, and butterflies led Ha Kyung to some of life's small adventure. She walks around, eats, and meets various people. She realizes she receives comfort and empathy through her travels. Each trip felt realistic and strangely therapeutic, highlighting Ha Kyung’s blunt and quirky personality. I like how lighthearted her story is – being a normal person in normal circumstances, taking a break from the busy and overstimulated world.
This short drama feeds me a lot of interesting food for thoughts in a light and heartwarming manner. Each episode is dedicated to different themes, such as reflecting on our past goals and dreams, the role of a teacher, adults' involvement in setting examples for kids, future insights, and appreciating artworks. I think everyone will have their own relatable part of what’s presented in each episode. Although it is only 24’ per episode, it provokes my thoughts for hours.
The cinematography was stellar and it’s consistent throughout all episodes. This is one of the dramas that is more feels and aesthetics than plot. Good casting all around. The soundtrack as sweet and simple, making me want to take days off and take a moment to just relax and go on a daytrip.
Was this review helpful to you?
beautiful, creepy, meaningful and lustful
Despite being a skilled worker, Moon Gang Tae (Kim Soo Hyun) struggles to settle in one psychiatric ward for longer than a year; which seems to be due to his and his brother's Sang Tae (Oh Jung Se) trauma and current situation. One day, he met a successful author Ko Moon Young (Seo Yea Ji), who writes dark-toned children's fairytales and who is obsessed with him at the first sight. There are reasons of why these people are the way like they are, and those reasons seems to be darker than as it seems as first…I really enjoyed this drama for the cinematography, vibes and unique animated visuals of the fairy tales. They’re beautiful, creepy, and perfectly represent our female lead, Ko Moon Young. It’s fun how she was introduced as a dark fantasy writer aimed at children, who has a kleptomania for knives. Seo Ye Ji was phenomenal portraying her every movement and talk, showing Moon Young’s psycho and powerful aura. At times I got bored with the plot, but she’s the reason for me to keep watching. Her chemistry with Gang Tae, can only be said as seductive. The tension between them was intoxicating, especially the firsts times when they were enemies. Another thing, the Moon brotherhood were so genuine and emotional. Sang Tae’s appreciation towards art was so endearing and self-soothing. When he sees a mural, the world is more energetic and warm for him and I love the emphasize on that aspect.
This drama also has perfectly engaging OSTs. The OSTs blurred the lines among the various genres in this show; romance, comedy, suspense, and a bit of horror. The only thing that was not as engaging to me is the mystery subplot, it was predictable, too long and anticlimactic. Other than that, as mentioned, everything was beautiful and worth-watching!
Find me on Instagram: @kdramajudge
edited Mar, 2024
Was this review helpful to you?
A rubber band that is just stretched to its limits.... and eventually snaps!
A diligent student, Oh Ji Soo (Kim Dong Hee) aims for enrolling Korean prestigious universities while living all alone. To make ends meet, he secretly runs a security service for sex workers and has been successfully earn savings for his dream. However, his job is at risk of being exposed when his classmate Bae Gyuri (Park Ju Hyun) steals his work phone and starts blackmailing him.This is one of a rare crime-thriller school drama executed to the best of its potential. Every element that makes a show GREAT are there! Powerful acting, crisp filmmaking, high-intensity OSTs, engaging metaphors and thrilling character arc. A roller coaster of emotions jam-packed in 10 short episodes! The story is dealing with controversial topics without being explicit nor shaming them, as well as study pressure that all students face.
The first few episodes might feel a bit slow, but they were intriguing and unsettling. Then the second half was like a bullet train wreck, with me entirely in the passenger seat, constantly feeling a strong tension. Lots of daring awesome action scenes: cars exploding, fist fights, students go and trash a karaoke bar! XD Ji Soo’s PTSD-induced nightmares are some of the most thought-provoking and memorable scenes, really showed how bleak the situation he’s gotten into. Thanks Kim Dong Hee for being a really engaging Ji Soo!
It ended on a strong climax, and I have no complaint regarding the “slightly open for interpretation” ending. The story felt sufficient, concluded, and it has clearly delivered the message it says in the poster, that “Some mistakes can not be erased.”
Was this review helpful to you?

2