K-Drama
Give it a Chance
This series is not for you if you don’t like paranormal story lines with a side of sci-fi. If it is, you are in for a treat.I love this series even with the bittersweet ending. It had a great original storyline. I also like how they incorporated several nods to Lovely Writer in some of the earlier episodes. Great script, beautiful cinematograph, and very good acting. I love the music and the special effects weree used very strategically.
However, the editing of the free cut version is not the greatest. They cut a lot of scenes which makes some of the episodes disconnected and/or confusing. The uncut version is definitely better. The cut version has many scenes missing that are needed to help the viewers fully understand and appreciate what is going on. They also cut scenes that help with the backstories of the side characters.
Disclaimer: I did a slight edit of this original review and changed the Story, Rewatch Value, and Overall Rating sections to reflect the cut version of this series. Edits were done on 1/6/2024.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
One Good Win
I placed spoilers at the end of this review.Overall, this was a very good series. This had the right combination of comedy, drama, and heartfelt moments. The first few episodes are rough around the edges, just stick with it because it does get better. I have to admit that the script was not perfect. It had parts in the beginning that made me want to drop it, but then gave me sections that made me care about the end game. What the script did a great job in was having very well-developed characters in which the cast did an incredible job making you either love or hate them. I also like how some of the characters fell in the gray area and had more than meets the eye. The music and cinematography were awesome.
Random Note:
Two minor critiques: There was one character that received a weak redemption arc and there was one missed opportunity in the last episode.
******Potential Spoiler Alert******
The weak redemption arch involved Na Gyu Won (Seol Hyeon’s father), but at least he admitted he was correct his mistake.
It would have been nice to see a scene with Yun Seong Jun’s mother meeting him after watching his match in the last episode.
Was this review helpful to you?
- Did it add anything to the original series
- Was there either an absence, advance, or regression of character/couple development
- Was the story concept interesting
- Script quality
Although it did not add anything to the original storyline, it was nice to see them during their “break-up” college days. This episode was cute and the acting was good, but it didn’t have the same magic as the main series. The background music choices were great, but I was not a fan with some of the sound effects. My only complaint is the crossover component. I would have loved to see Pat and Pran get two complete episodes instead of almost one full episode.
Random Note:
I’m probably in the minority with not liking this crossover. I’m just a little disappointed with it. Bad Buddy and A Tale of Thousand Stars are both my top favorite BL series, but I really wish this series stayed consistent with the 2-episode per couple format. I have a theory as to why this was done but I’ll keep it to myself.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
A for Effort/C for Execution
I placed a spoiler alert at the end of this review.This series was good, but it could have been a lot better. However, it was nice to watch a mature BL series that didn’t use the typical university set-up. The script was ok, but there are a few elements that don’t make sense. I have no medical training, but even I found the medical scenes very unrealistic. If they didn’t have the budget to do them correctly, they could have found a better way around it. I like the cast, but the acting was not the greatest at some points. As for production, the series does suffer from poor background music choices and bad editing.
Random Note: The English title is not grammatically correct. It should be Dear Doctor, I’m Coming for Souls.
******Potential Spoiler Alert******
The ending is bittersweet, but it makes sense considering the storyline. The time jumps in the last episode is the only editing in the series that was done correctly.
My main criticism is two characters sleep together when one is very drunk. It doesn’t matter who initiated it; this is not ok. The other character was sober and should have said no. It was also out of character for the other one to move forward with it.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
I placed any potential spoilers at the end of this review.The acting was great and it had wonderful cinematography. However, the story concept was ok. The script started off strong, but it lost steam by the end. I personally think that episode 8 could have been handled differently. The series is also too long. It has 20 episodes and each episode can be over 90 minutes long. This is also why it took me so long to finally commit to watching it. Because of the number of episodes, the series felt repetitive at times. The series could have been 14- or 15-episode series max.
******Potential Spoiler Alert******
I did not like the ending, I wished the character Jang Han-seo lived.
Was this review helpful to you?
When you misplace the Spooky
For the most part, this was a very interesting series. Unfortunately, the script lost the main aspect of the storyline. At first, it did a great job interweaving the paranormal storyline into the romantic and family drama storylines. It was also successful in setting up the world and characters which got me invested in it. My main gripe is it lost the paranormal aspect in the middle of the series. There were many episodes that you wouldn’t even know this had one. It was a good thing that the other storylines were interesting which prevented me from dropping it. It’s just that when a series is marketed to involve ghosts, it should have ghosts throughout the series. It was very successful in connecting the multiple storylines, event, and characters together in the end. However, I was able to guess the two main plot twists very early on in the series. This did have a very interesting accidental kiss that I’ve seen in years. The cast was great and did an outstanding job. The CGI, special effects, and cinematography were amazing. Although there was wasted screen time due to many flashback scenes, they did get creative at times showing them.Random Note:
Despite the main weak aspect of the script, I’d watch it again.
Was this review helpful to you?
Random Note:
There was a very funny nod to some of Yoo Yeon Seok’s previous series (Dr. Romantic/Hospital Playlist) in episode 2.
Was this review helpful to you?
Starts with a weak thread.
This is one of those series that has a very weak beginning, but eventually gets better by each episode. Overall, this was good. I just wish the script was more developed. Even though it did a good job setting up the general story premise, the first two episodes were ruff around the edges. It got better by the third episode, but it continues to switch back and forth from being ok to somewhat cringe (not in a good way for me). However, the last few episodes were great and wish the other episodes had the same level of quality. Although frail at first, it did give enough to get me connected to many of the characters to make me want to continue. Nevertheless, I was not a fan how they introduced the two main characters. This was funny at times, but the humor was a little to slapstick for me. The cast was great and did a nice job making what they were given work. The cinematography was nice.Random Note:
It does have cute opening credits
For Viki views – Starting after episode 1, Don’t blink or you’ll miss it! There is an additional scene involving a side character but you won't see it if you let it automatically go to the next episode. It doesn’t have any real connection to the storyline, but it is funny and informative.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Amazingly Beautiful
I placed spoilers at the end of this review.It is always refreshing to watch a BL series with a more mature story concept. I also love how this BL series focused on many other underline themes about one’s own struggles. The artful simplicity of this script was incredible. Everything from the relationship development to the overall themes about family was well paced. The entire cast did an outstanding job with their characters. Unfortunately, there is one exception with the male leads which is very puzzling to me. The cinematography was beautiful and helped capture the undertone mood while the events unfolded.
Random Note:
I originally was undecided about watching this because the MDL series synopsis, which is very inaccurate, scared me. The one on GagaOOLala is much better.
******Potential Spoiler Alert******
The exception was the very inconstant chemistry between the two lead actors during the more intimate scenes. There were times that they were great, but then we get the standard dead lip kiss scenes that you usually see in Korean BL series. Although very puzzling to me, this was only a minor irritation.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
You will have to adjust your mindset as you watch it.
I placed spoilers at the end of this review.I usually don’t start with this but it’s important to know the series description on this page (Director’s Cut) is not very accurate. That being said, it would have been hard to write a series description without giving away the main storyline. Although it’s not accurate, it is the best one because the description on GagaOOLala and the MDL page for the regular version are completely wrong.
Overall, this was an awesome series. This may be an unpopular opinion but the main story concept was great. With not given too much away, the beginning of the series started off with episodes (1; 2; 3-4; 5-6) showing standalone storylines using the usual BL concepts. However, all of them are connected in a very unique way. My advice is to pay close attention to the closing credit scene at the end of episode 2 and the extra scene at the end of episode 4 because both did a very good job foreshadowing what the series is really about. The script was good, but it was not perfect. It had a very strong beginning, but became weak around episode 6. At this point the episodes dragged a little and there was some wasted screentime. The entire cast was wonderful. A big kudos for the two main actors because they did an incredible job getting into their characters with each different storyline. I didn’t feel like I was watching them portraying the same character over and over again. It also helped that the styling department did an incredible job creating different looks for the different characters.
Random Notes:
The location used for Namping’s house (episodes 3-4) was also used in the series “Knock, Knock Boys”. The house location used for episodes 5-8 was also used in the following series: “Twins” (Sprite and Zee’s childhood/father’s house), “GAP” (Mon’s house), “Enchanté” (Akk’s house), and “Something in My Room” (Phat’s house).
******Spoiler Alert******
MDL for the Director’s Cut series description is the best one because it doesn’t give away what the series is really about. However, I did go into this thinking the love story concept involved either reincarnation or multiple alternative universes.
I thought Top and Mick did a great acting job. It is not easy to portray multiple characters, especially in the same series. Not to mention portraying a character that is an actor that is acting on a fictional series set.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Home Sweet Home
I placed spoilers at the end of this review.Here is my usual warning that I am a sucker for series with a paranormal/strange element to it. This was a fun series. The first few episodes were a little rough around the edges, but the following episodes get better. Overall, the script was funny and heartwarming. I really liked the mini storylines involving the guest roles. The script also did a great job tying all of the various storylines together. Three out of the four main characters started off a little annoying and/or unlikable. However, the script did a great job explaining reasonings behind their behaviors as the series progresses which made them more likable. My only minor complaint is that I was able to guess some of the plot twists beforehand. As for the entire cast, they were amazing and did an incredible job with their characters. The cinematography and special effects were also amazing.
Random Notes:
The closing credit scene showed various stages of the team’s relationship development was very cool. I normally don’t watch closing credits, but found myself doing so because of this.
The saying on the neon sign with the burned-out letters was hilarious.
Home’s condo in America is the same one used in the series “Wandee Goodday”, “Only Boo”, “My School President”, and “Good Old Days”.
The smaller globe next to the one Home was staring at in episode 8 was the same one used in the series “Be my Favorite”.
******Spoiler Alert******
The beginning of the first episode threw me off because I didn’t realize that Home was in America. They could have incorporated some other hints to this other than the news. It did not help that I recognized the place from other GMMTV series.
Was this review helpful to you?
Various Levels of Mediocre
I am a little bias when it comes to movies with a paranormal aspect which is why I was hoping for something better. Overall, this movie was just ok. It had a great story concept, but the script was lacking in many ways. There were a few times that the script just skips random things that made it a little confusing. The main problem is the horror, comedy, and romance elements were not successfully done and became boring after a while. Because of this, I started to skip some sections towards the end. However, I did apricate the slight twist in the end. As for the positive, the cast was great. They really did the best with what they had to work with. I also enjoyed the music and the special effects were not that bad.Random Notes:
The location for Joe's house was also used in the series “Bake Me Please” (Peace’s house), “Shadow” (Dan’s childhood home), “Sing Again” (Piano’s childhood home), “Mama Gogo” (Annie’s house), and in “21 Days Theory” (Q’s house). Once again, I acknowledge that I'm a nerd for this kind of stuff.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
It was an interesting dream.
I placed spoilers at the end of this review.Overall, this was an enjoyable and interesting series. However, I am a sucker for series that have a supernatural/strange element to it. The script was good for the most part, but needed a little more tweaking and had some very weak aspects towards the end. My main complaint is key information was always misplaced which created some confusing, well for me at least. I recommend being patient because they do eventually reveal the information. The cast did a great job with their characters. I thought Putter did a great job making Yu a very likable character without him being a complete A-Hole. Ryu also did a great job making Ai appear innocent and loveable without being annoying. The cinematography was very good and did a great job keeping the consistency between the scenes involving the two different outcomes (dream version vs reality version) depending on Ai actions.
Random Note:
I went in with low expectations because this is a product of Dee Hup. Their series always seem incomplete and/or never fully hitting the mark at the end. I was very pleasantly surprised how good this series was. Apart from my main complaint and notes in the spoiler alert section, I would definitely rewatch this.
It was cute how they slipped in a quick nod to another Dee Hup series (Lovely Writer) which seems to be a running theme in their series.
If you are not going to show actors actually playing a sport, don’t bother including a match scene.
The English subtitles on GagaOOLala were good with the exception that it didn’t show English subtitles when printed content appears on screen a few times. GagaOOLala did not edit out the break credit between the episode sections.
********Spoiler Alert********
I liked that they kept the teasing aspect of the relationship to a minimum and ended it by the first episode.
Just a few examples about the misplace of information. One was the age difference between Ai and Yu. I was confused at first because I assumed that Ai and Yu were the same age. This was eventually cleared up later on, but this could have been addressed during the character introduction at the beginning of episode 1. Another was the relationship between the characters. I was a little confusing in the first episode because it introduced a lot of them without fully explaining who everyone was or their relationship between each other. They slowly give this information but they could have found a better way to do it.
Although it was a happy ending and I did enjoy it, it seemed rushed. Once again, they reveal a lot of key information at the very last minute.
Episode 10 came across as very random. I understand the main purpose was to introduce the treat Ice will play, but It could have been written better. It also had so many illogical things about it. If they knew a stalker was roaming around, why was the front door unlocked?
The script for episode 11 was the weakest out of this series. The entire storyline involving the slipping pills was not realistic. I understand they wanted to give a sense of urgency, but no one would have survived that amount of pills Ai used. Not to mention that you do not take medication prescribed to someone else. You also don’t take pills from an unmarked bottle. How did he even know it had sleeping medication?
Was this review helpful to you?
So Cute!!
If you are looking for a BL series to make you feel good, this is the one. This series was very cute and fluffy. Yet another good example that you don’t need a lot of episodes to tell a great story. The script was very well written and had a nice even pace. The cast was awesome and did a great job with their characters. It had just the right number of characters for an 8-episode series. You get just enough of everyone’s backstory without taking too much screentime. It was very refreshing to see an ex-girlfriend not placed in the crazy/evil stereotypical role. The only minor negative aspect for me was it had some shaky camera work at times.Random Note:
The timing on the English subtitles on GagaOOLala were too fast at times. I had to pause many times.
Was this review helpful to you?
BL Drama no Shuen ni Narimashita: Crank Up Hen
1 people found this review helpful
This review may contain spoilers
Hilarious Satire
I placed spoilers at the end of this review.This series was hilarious, cute, and heartwarming. This is a good example that you don’t need a lot of episodes to tell a great story. The script was very well written and didn’t take things too seriously. It had a lot of components that you think shouldn’t work, but it somehow did. The cast was awesome and did a great job with their characters. It also had great cinematography and graphics. I will have to say there is only one negative aspect about this series.
Random Note:
What an awesome way to end this year.
There was a few times when there are no English subtitles in the 2nd episode, but I was still able to figure out the overall mood of what was going on.
******Potential Spoiler Alert******
The one negative aspect about this series was the one kissing scene. We see the standard dead fish lips. If they are going to show this, I would have been fine with them not even having a kissing scene. However, this was only a minor negative for me because the rest of the series was just too funny and cute for me to care about it.
Was this review helpful to you?

3