News
Little Substance
When I saw the trailer for Break-Up Service, I was hoping for something similar to Peaceful Property, where the show starts off silly and episodic and slowly turns into a more cohesive story. However, I felt that Break-Up Service never fulfilled what I wanted for an overarching storyline, and instead felt predictable and lacking substance. The romance took so long to develop, even though I feel like it could've been an interesting office romance plot if they had started it earlier. The romantic conflicts were pretty pointless, and while I enjoyed the main couple, their storyline didn't even feel all that important until the end. I just wish the storyline was less predictable and that the show was a little less episodic, especially since some episodes I found myself totally not invested in the couple they were trying to break up.While this was a light and fun watch, it didn't feel like anything special. I really like Off, which is why I watched it in the first place, but just felt that this show missed the mark.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Unfortunately infuriating
[I will tag where the spoilers begin]What can I even say about this show. A vampire plot that lacks any real vampire aspects, special effects that were laughable at best, and a script that was missing any kind of depth all rolled up into one show. The acting unfortunately fell flat, and I don't know whether to blame the lack of chemistry between the actors, the script writing, or the directing but I think I could blame all three if I wanted to. Every episode of this show made me more upset than the last, even though I kept trying to see if it would get good. All I wanted was some classic vampire romance - the fear of being bitten, the tension in a kiss scene, broken trust because of a vampire's true desire - and instead I got a college basketball tournament, a half-baked evil vampire, and a relationship lacking any real tension. I really hope that the fault lies in the crew and not the cast - I wanted to like JossGawin, but truly could not get invested in them as a couple during this show.
Tong (Gawin) has been raised in an orphanage. When he goes off to college, he ends up helping his friend at a job, where he unknowingly works with a bunch of vampires. It is quickly revealed that he has golden blood, irresistible to vampires because of the special powers it gives them. Mark (Joss) is a vampire tasked with protecting Tong from other vampires, but soon their relationship becomes more than that of a bodyguard.
*Spoilers start here*
I truly don't know how they went SO WRONG with this plot. I can get over bad special effects or clunky dialogue, but oh my god this show was actually infuriating. You're telling me Tong gets attacked by Mark because of his blood and this causes ZERO issues with their relationship? There was no real conflicts besides the whole "does he love me or does he just love my blood" which wasn't even well thought out! And then Neo's character dying out of nowhere, without any kind of "let's turn him into a vampire to save him"??? That's the oldest plot in the book!! Why was the basketball tournament so important in a VAMPIRE SHOW??? I really think there was no need to set this show in college - it adds nothing to the actual plot and instead just feels like an excuse for GMM to reuse one of the sets they've used before. Mond played the only character that I actually liked, because at least he was INTERESTING! Joss and Gawin really gave me nothing to work with here. They were always crammed in a tiny bathtub together, or Gawin was staring at Joss shirtless (which, I get it, but why is he shirtless THAT often), and somehow they STILL didn't have chemistry. I was hoping that at least during the makeout scenes when there wasn't any awkward dialogue that the relationship would have some tension, but somehow that STILL fell flat. Even the "twist" in the real villain was predictable from episode one.
This one just fell SO flat for me. While there wasn't any one thing that made it bad, the combo of a lot of small things made this show hard to watch. I really wanted to like it, especially because I think vampire plots are super cool, but I just can't recommend this to anyone.
Was this review helpful to you?
Fiction vs. Reality
Wow. WOW! Deep In delivered an absolutely stunning, captivating show that made the viewer feel exactly what our main character felt: what happens when reality and fiction start becoming blurred? The way this story is told is probably the most unique storytelling I have ever seen in a BL, probably in any show ever. The back and forth between the show within the show and the lives of the actors was so well done, with the aspect ratio changing just to make sure the viewer knew, but having every storyline in the show within the show parallel something happening in the lives of the actors was GENIUS! Even when I thought there was no way they could make it work, they did. And I loved every MINUTE of it! In fact, I ended up so engrossed in the show they were filming that I would get mad to hear the director yell "cut!" and would sometimes forget which characters were the actors vs. the characters in the show. Absolutely brilliant writing and directing.Zhang Zhun (Shu Yuan) is a struggling actor trying to make enough money to propose to his long-term girlfriend. He finally manages to land a role alongside a big actor, Zhen Xin (Ollie), in a queer film. The two of them are tasked with building chemistry before their roles begin, and as they start filming, they begin to blur the line between the feelings of their characters and their own feelings.
The actors did a FANTASTIC job portraying these characters, with amazing chemistry and fantastic acting. It was so insane to watch them portray TWO different characters each in this show and be so good at it. I can't believe how much I enjoyed both the actor's storyline and the show they were filming. Both were so engaging, with great tension in the plot and between the characters. This one is 100% worth watching.
Was this review helpful to you?
Already Iconic
I can't believe how quickly this show became a hit - and it is incredibly deserved. I'm typically not the biggest fan of comedies, but this one had me laughing out loud every episode. My usual problem is that the jokes don't translate well or cultural differences in comedy are too large, but in this case, they managed to make this a show that everyone will find funny. Pond and Phuwin do an INCREDIBLE job portraying these characters, and I think they'll go down as their most recognizable and famous characters for years to come.Mr. Thee (Pond), the CEO of perfume company Arseni and first son of a major mafia boss, wants to sleep with Arseni's top model, Aran (Santa). Luckily, before the bodyguard kidnap the poor model, the freelance photographer currently working on Arseni's new project Peach (Phuwin) steps in. Peach convinces Thee that threatening someone is not the way to their heart, and Thee convinces Peach to help him learn how to date by going on dates with him. Quickly, Thee forgets all about Aran and falls head over heels for Peach. Peach, oblivious to this, is baffled by every single move Thee makes.
The combo of "mafia boss obsessed with old timey soap operas" and the play on mafia CEO x y/n made this show HILARIOUS. Truly, even if you don't like comedies, it is worth watching because it is that good. There were a few major downsides to this show though: (1) There were two side couples, neither of which got much of a storyline. It felt like two half-baked plotlines instead of giving just one side couple a decent plot; and (2) the climax/main issues seemed to go away WAY too easily - a rival mafia boss and Thee's dad's rule about not falling in love barely seemed to actually matter. Still, this show was super fun and the most interesting characters Pond and Phuwin have played yet. Definitely give it a watch - just don't watch it for PerthSanta or WilliamEst, because this show is pretty much only about PondPhuwin.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
The Weight of Reality
[Spoilers will be tagged where they start]First of all, I know people were upset about this show for not having physical intimacy between the two leads, but frankly that is not the plot of this show at all. Is it still queer? Absolutely. This show explores the lives of two characters trapped by society and their own emotions, and how they try to overcome this together but are ultimately still victims of a harsh reality.
Ryu (Hayato), an ice hockey player, has no response when his friend and teammate confesses his feelings for Ryu. When the team learns of this, they make a mockery of the gay teammate, causing him to attempt suicide. Ryu, feeling guilty for not protecting his friend, runs away from his team and Japan to stay with his friend in Berlin. Burdened with the guilt of his friend's suicide attempt and dealing with the weight of coming to terms with his own sexuality, Ryu goes to a church to confess his sins. When the church catches fire, Ryu decides to burn with it until the man that overheard his confession saves him. This random encounter seems fleeting, until Ryu sees the man that saved him compete in a boxing match. In another chance encounter, Ryu meets Johan (Taecyeon), and the two become fast friends. Their lives become intertwined as they both deal with the hardships of being queer in an unaccepting society, and feel as though they need to find a way to save their souls through each other.
This show manages to hit you with a new tragedy every episode. I swear, any time someone seemed slightly happy, the writers decided to throw something horrible at them. I really loved the themes of found family and queer love, but my GOD they could not let any character be happy ever! As much as I love a sad drama, this one felt like a little TOO much.
[Spoilers start here]
I truly think the only positive takeaway from the show was the found family aspect. The way that Ryu steps in to support his best friend and everything she goes through, along with Johan, was truly the best part of the show, even when the entire group was having a rough time. However, for the finale to have Ryu marrying Sumiko for the sake of Kanau really hurt in an unexpected way. I understand why Johan left, and I think it made sense for all of the characters, but for Ryu to never truly be able to be with someone he loves because he knows it won't be accepted and frankly, even HE never accepted it himself, really really hurt. And honestly, I do not think the writing addressed this aspect well at all. I fully understand the idea that Ryu and Johan are never explicit about their relationship, even in private, considering what the two have been through. But for the show to end the way it did, with the "I love yous" right before Johan's death, felt cruel to the audience! It almost felt like a situation of "we're not allowed to really make this gay, so let's kill off the male love interest and have the main character marry a woman." While I don't think that was the intention, it still felt like they could have told this heartbreaking story of two queer men crushed by the reality they live in, but still manage to portray acceptance of oneself in these characters. All we see are two men being beat down over and over again, and never managing to live the lives they wanted. You REALLY need to want a sad show to watch this one.
Was this review helpful to you?
More royal politics than romance
As someone that had been waiting for The Next Prince for nearly 3 years, I was super excited to watch it when it started airing. I thought that the sets and costuming were fantastic, and I loved the overall plot. I do think many people went into this thinking it would be a lot more romance-focused than it was, but I thought it was a great balance. While the romantic conflict was fairly predictable and repetitive, I thought that the way the romance was incorporated into the larger plot was lovely. Plus, the side characters were super fun to watch too!Khanin (Nunew) is a fencer living in London with his father, when suddenly everything he knows is turned upside down with the arrival of Charan (Zee). Khanin learns of his royal heritage, and is told he must return to the kingdom of Emmaly to compete for the crown. With Charan as his bodyguard, Khanin makes the journey to Emmaly (with assassins pursuing him) in order to train for the royal competition. As Charan helps him train, feelings begin to develop between them, and even though a relationship between a royal and his bodyguard is seemingly impossible, Khanin is determined to make it work.
This show is definitely more focused on the royal competition, family/political issues, and Khanin's journey into royalty than it is about the relationship between Charan and Khanin. Personally, I was totally fine with this. I understand the expectations people had going in to a ZeeNunew show, but I thought that the balance was great. I especially loved that this meant there were fewer relationship issues between them, allowing us to have more happy moments with them as a couple and explore the relationships of the other characters a bit more. I was left waiting for the lesbians to get any screen time (they didn't really), but I loved Ramil and Paytai's (JimmyOhm) storyline. The third couple did feel a bit thrown in unnecessarily, but they were still entertaining. I think a lot of the hate for this show is due to slow pacing and lack of romantic conflict, but I thought it was still quite enjoyable, especially if you're aware of what this show is truly about. Watch this one for the political tension between royal families and the competition for the crown.
Was this review helpful to you?
Love or Obsession?
The Trunk was a lot more than I expected it to be, and I mean that in a good way. Contract marriage plotlines aren't typically something I go for, but this one seemed interesting enough to get me to watch it, and the shorter length of it made it especially easy to watch. I didn't expect to get so hooked on it!Han Jeongwon (Gong Yoo) is currently going through a divorce that he doesn't want, and he's so desperate to keep his wife that he will do whatever she wishes to convince her; however, she insists on signing him up for a one year-long contract marriage with a woman of her choosing, and tells him that if he makes in through, she'll take him back. Jeongwon agrees, believing it the only way to win back his now ex-wife. The contract marriage should be straightforward, but it's anything but. Between the anxious drug addict main character, a contract wife with too many secrets, a controlling and manipulative ex-wife, and the ex-wife's new boytoy, there's bound to be conflicts. Things escalate further when the characters are towing the line between falling in love and convincing themselves obsession is the same thing as love.
This show did a great job at portraying the relationships. What I thought was super interesting was the dual timelines: one starting at the beginning of the contract marriage, and one about 5 months into the contract where the police are investigating the found trunk in the lake. The back and forth allowed for some excellent foreshadowing and parallels, though it did feel like they could have tied it all together a bit better. I thought that the contract wife's storyline was super interesting, but I just wish it had been a little more worked into the show. I actually quite liked the ending of the show, though it wasn't what I had expected for this one. I would say that it's best if you watch not just for the romance, but more for the rich people drama. Overall I'd say it's worth the watch considering how much they manage to do with only 8 episodes.
Was this review helpful to you?
Enemies to Lovers DONE RIGHT
This show was incredible. A true enemies to lovers, complete with a beautiful slowburn and tension all the way through. Yin and War did an INCREDIBLE job as the leads, and knowing that this was made by the company they started themselves only makes it better. I almost started rewatching this show before it even finished it was so good. Even with the longer episodes, it was able to hold my attention for every single minute, and had me excited to watch every week.After a brief encounter, it seems that Jack (Yin) and Joke (War) hit it off. When Jack goes to the bank for a much needed loan to pay off some debt collectors, he's surprised to see that Joke is the branch manager. What he doesn't know is that Joke is lying - and actively trying to expose the bank for its corruption. Joke gives him money he stole out of the safe, but the cops are quick to catch on. Joke, feeling bad, confesses to being Joker, an infamous thief that exposes corrupt businesses, and goes to prison. However, this leaves Jack with no way to pay off the debt collectors. Flash forward 5 years and Jack has been forced to become a debt collector himself, and has sworn to get revenge on Joke if he ever sees him again. Joke spent his last 5 years in prison coming up with every way he could make Jack forgive him. Upon his release, Joke immediately searches for Jack to apologize, only to be confronted not with the sweet young Jack he once knew, but a Jack dubbed the "Grim Reaper" by the locals. Regardless, Joke attempts to get close with Jack and help him out of the debt collector hell he's been forced into, while Jack swears that if he tries to get close to him again, he'll kill him.
Jack and Joke were absolutely wonderful to watch. I love a good slowburn and this one delivered in every aspect. Starting off with a full episode on the backstory of them was brilliant, and watching them go from beating each other up to slowly realizing they shouldn't be enemies, to a clear romantic tension between them was FANTASTIC. The action scenes were some of the best I've seen in a Thai show, and you could tell how hard they worked to make the fights good. That, combined with the tension of the heists Joker pulls off makes for one of the most entertaining watches ever. It'll have you on the edge of your seat the whole time and hit you with unexpected twists at the best times. The relationship development is perfect too, with issues that aren't too drawn out and a beautiful ending for the characters. ABSOLUTELY worth watching!!!
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Stunning, Emotional, and Nearly Perfect
As is typical with shows directed by Aof, this is a masterpiece. The visuals are beautiful, the acting wonderful, and the storyline nearly perfect. I watched this as it aired and I looked forward to it every single week.Day (Sea) has recently gone blind and is suffering mentally because of this. He has fallen into a depressive episode, refusing to leave his room or even open his blinds. His mom has had to hire caretaker after caretaker because no one can seem to put up with Day and his attitude - until Mhok (Jimmy). Mhok is trying to get any job he can to earn money, which isn't too easy when you have a criminal record. Day knows his mom will hate Mhok, which is precisely why he chose him, hoping that this will stop his mom from hiring someone else. Unexpectedly, Mhok seems more committed to this job than anyone ever has, and it seems that the key to winning Day over was simply to treat him like a normal person. Slowly, feelings start to develop between the two as Mhok shows Day that life can be just as wonderful even though he's gone blind.
*Spoilers Start Here*
Up until the finale, this show was actually perfect. Not a plot point was out of place, the pacing was wonderful, and the development of the characters and their relationship was absolutely beautiful. Watching Mhok and Day learn about themselves through each other and fight to be together was absolutely wonderful. However, the only reason I couldn't give this a 10/10 was the finale. I was concerned the first time Day received the cornea transplant, and was surprisingly relieved when it didn't work. I kept thinking - this entire show is about overcoming the challenges of being blind and Day learning to accept himself and his new reality, so why would they make it so he could see again? So in the finale when Day gets a SECOND cornea transplant that works, I was a little disappointed. It felt a bit like saying "your life will get better because your disability can be healed!" which is not typically how that works. I understand the narrative they made of "giving things a second chance" and how the second cornea transplant worked into that, but it still felt a bit off to suddenly throw in Day regaining his sight in a show that otherwise focused on how he could make the most of his life and be happy and in love despite his disability. So, I can only say this show was nearly perfect. It is still a beautiful show that is 100% worth watching, though it is an emotional one. Luckily, these emotional aspects aren't the typical relationship troubles, but rather Mhok and Day as a couple working through the hardships that come their way.
Was this review helpful to you?
Messy!!! (in the best way)
Imagine the messiest person you know - someone that always has drama, makes too big of a deal about things, etc. Now imagine six people like that who are all (loosely) in the same friend group. That's the plot of Only Friends.The show was NEVER boring. I was screaming at the TV and pausing to take deep breaths every single episode. You've got Mew (Book), Ray (Khaotung), and Boston (Neo) who are all pretty close friends (plus their lesbian friend Cheum (Lookjun)). In an attempt to help Mew get laid, Boston sets him up with his friend Top (Force). Mew and Top hit it off, but instead of a one night stand, start going on dates. Things start getting messy when Boston and Ray seem to be jealous of this relationship for different reasons; things get messier when bar singer Sand (First) meets Ray, and Boston starts seeing Nick (Mark). These six "friends" seem to be anything but - and they are much too willing to hurt each other in order to get what they want.
This show was super fun. It was the boldest show I've seen from GMM, and it was done well. With this many characters, it's hard to keep them all interesting and dynamic, but they did an excellent job with it. It was juicy all the way through without a moment to rest. And while I sometimes do wish there were more happy moments throughout, or more instances of positive character growth, it was extremely entertaining to watch and had me yelling at each character for different reasons. Definitely worth a watch.
Was this review helpful to you?
Only good if you're a big fan of EarthMix
Out of all of EarthMix's projects, this one is by far the worst. While the two have great chemistry, who thought that this plot was a good idea?Win (Mix) is in a car accident with his sister, Lin, and when he wakes up he's in his sister's body. He then embarks on a journey with his former friend Korn (Earth) in order to retrieve holy water to return to his body. Along this journey, past issues between Win and Korn resurface and as the two learn to get along again, feelings between them emerge - but does Korn have feelings for Win, or does he only care about the body his soul is transported in?
The entire conflict of this show being "is he into me or is he into me because I'm in my sister's body" is crazy. What even. Regardless, watching the relationship between Win and Korn change was very enjoyable, and the fairly slow burn friends-to-lovers was fun to watch. But thank god it was only 10 episodes because I don't think I could have watched much more.
Was this review helpful to you?
They couldn't have come up with a plot that didn't involve falling in love with a dog...?
Definitely a cute, short little show with a unique concept. I think reincarnation plots can be very interesting but this one was a little...different. Normally I would advise just getting past any of the weirdness that this entails, but this one was hard to move on from.I would have rated this higher if it weren't for the fact that any time you remember those people used to be his pets. Any time you think of that, any kind of romance that was going on feels a bit odd. Best watched if you don't think about it too much!
Was this review helpful to you?
I thought this was supposed to be good???
I watched this because I kept getting tiktoks about it since the second season dropped and I was thoroughly disappointed. The main characters are so annoying and unlikable that whatever plot they were going for just didn't work. Hira constantly gets bullied by his classmates but when it's Kiyoi he likes it? Then throw in a weird time skip, a much better potential boyfriend for Hira, and a whole lot of unnecessary conflict/miscommunication and that's about all that happens! Did they like each other the whole time? I guess so! Too bad they never actually told each other this or else the show would have been over in the first episode.Was this review helpful to you?
Cute, but nothing special
When the rich kid is forced to live on his own and support himself he ends up living with the landlord of his apartment complex...who is also his subordinate at work. Interesting dynamic between them but I feel like they could have done a lot more with it than they did.As is typical of Korean BLs, I feel like the characters didn't have a lot of room to grow throughout the series. I wish instead of unnecessary breakup plot points, the writers would allow the characters to properly develop over the course of the show. Overall a fun and easy watch.
Was this review helpful to you?
Worse Kinnporsche?
I only watched this show because my girlfriend wanted to watch a live action abo drama and.....it sure was something. Going into this, I had fairly limited knowledge of abo content, and while the show did a good job of explaining everything, I do think that maybe abo plots don't lend themselves great to live action media. The CGI "scent" was kind of hilarious, and overall I just felt like you miss a lot of details that would be apparent in a written work but not in a live action. The pacing of the show was pretty bad too, to a point where I genuinely had to look up how many episodes this show had after ep 11 because I thought it was over. Some of the more powerful ideas that they could have pursued were totally ignored, including my personal favorite of Phatsa feeling like the idea of a soulmate was forced upon him, which seemed to be discarded fairly quickly. I found myself constantly comparing this show to Kinnporsche because of the similar themes and plot points, and I don't even think Kinnporsche is a great show, but it was better than whatever happened in this one.Phatsa (Oat) has grown up unaware of the world of alphas, betas, and omegas. When he presents as a pure omega, he doesn't quite know what this means. He quickly learns of the struggles omegas face when he is bitten by Nakhun (Boat), forcing them into a bond. Phatsa is forced to live with Nakhun and enters his world as the heir to a huge, mafia-like family business.
I think one of the worst parts of this show was Phatsa going from this badass, protective, ,standing-with-justice guy to a nearly helpless partner in front of Nakhun. I think a big draw of abo is that it can address the ideas of misogyny and class divides in a fantasy setting and nearly all male cast, pointing out these inequalities in different ways. I was really hoping to see Phatsa become this very strong, resilient omega that "proves" these structural inequalities lack any merit. Instead, Phatsa barely did ANYTHING besides be stuck at home as Nakhun's mate. They could have done so many interesting things and they just didn't! It felt like they'd rather have another NC-scene filled BoatOat show than try to develop any real deeper messaging. If all you want is a live action abo drama, I guess this one will do....if you're in it for literally any other reason, there are better shows to watch!
Was this review helpful to you?
