Quantcast

Details

  • Last Online: 1 hour ago
  • Location:
  • Contribution Points: 0 LV0
  • Roles:
  • Join Date: April 20, 2021
On Against the Current • 5 days ago
For non-Chinese speakers and/or non-Buddhists, when Lanxiang talks about "the way," she's using the word 道 (dào), which is a very Buddhist term, meaning "way" or "path" (such as the Middle Path or Noble Eightfold Path in Buddhism). There are other synonyms for "way" like 方法 (fāngfǎ), meaning method or approach, or 路 (lù), meaning road/path, but the drama is making a point by using the word 道 (dào), emphasizing the underlying Buddhist intent and theme of the story (webnovel/drama).

The original webnovel was written to be a very Buddhist story and the drama seems to have stayed true to it. We see them praying at home and in temples to Buddha, saying "Amituofo," but the Buddhist way is woven throughout the story. Buddhism is about compassion, peace, and lovingkindness; not harboring anger, resentment; accepting one's circumstances, letting go of attachment, etc., so that's why there isn't a revenge arc and why we see Lanxiang helping so many people and pretty much living by Buddhist values. So people ask how she can just move on from her family being killed, or not have anger, or not want revenge, or how she's okay with all these things happening to her, etc. - it's because letting go of anger and pain is a core foundation of Buddhist teaching. The drama just doesn't go that far to shove Buddhism down people's throats.
27 5
On Against the Current • 6 days ago
It's been a long time since a drama that has moved me this much. I cry every few episodes. Not like, "Oh, that's sad, *tear*." But because I understand what's happening on-screen, to each woman. As a woman myself. Completely. With all my heart.

I haven't come across a FL or drama so steeped in women's issues and shows them from all facets - rich, poor, pressured by family, discarded by family, used by men, violated by men, abused by men, oppressed by law, dehumanized by men and society and law, and the different ways that these women nonetheless continue to live and how each chooses to carve their own path towards "living well."

This drama doesn't shy away from showing in high-definition how exactly women are shaped, hurt, and how it feels to be in their shoes. It really peels back the layers and, through details or poignant moments, sometimes just wordless eye contact, let's us really FEEL what these women have gone through. The fact that Gantang was almost married off for her brother's benefit, if it wasn't for her reward money. How Yuchen was brought in as a slave maid at age 6, then used later as a pawn, married off to an idiot son, then saved by Lin family, her whole life at the whims of her master's family. How the first lady they freed from the brothel ended up being thrown out by her family, essentially left for dead. Ji'er's whole arc. ZXT's whole tragic arc. The eldest sister's abuse repeatedly shown in vivid, heartbreaking detail. These are all details and moments that most dramas rarely include for second leads, much less give meaning and screen time to tertiary or side characters.

I've watched a handful of dramas with some kind of brothel scene thrown in, usually for some kind of sensual/sexy/dangerous effect, sometimes to put the FL in a precarious situation, but none ever really WENT THERE emotionally. To have us feel the reality of being in that situation. The brothel madam said more than one thing that gave me chills down my spine, including "silly girl, plenty of men love this sort of thing" after the trafficked woman purposely cut her face. I will remember that scene where Ji'er was saving Lanxiang as one of the most thoroughly amazing scenes I've seen in dramaland. Two women, minimal words, but everything said in their eyes and in what is not said at all, all in a fleeting moment of shared womanhood.

I am so, so grateful that this piece of art has been made. Thank you to the writers, director, production, actors and all who've helped bring this story to life.
22 2
Replying to eliteles1 • 6 days ago
This drama is definitely a romance (and better than many). We see intensity in the relationship and in the process…
"I don't like dramas where there are so many hugs and kisses but—because it feels like the characters don't even really know each other—we don't sense the layers of their interaction."

I couldn't agree more!!!! 👏👏👏👏👏
1 1
Replying to lolalovesdramas • 6 days ago
Just watched ep 33, 34 and 35 back to back. What a riveting masterpiece. I felt as if I was watching a movie.…
That explosion scene - I was like, whoa! Where'd they get the budget for that? lol
1 0
Replying to YshTomato • 6 days ago
I’ve seen so many people say they enjoy reading the comments here, and I agree—they’ve generally been insightful…
I don't think it's so much Lanxiang as it is the underlying moral and women's issues that she represents. For me, I haven't come across a FL or drama which is so steeped in women's issues and showing it from almost all facets - rich, poor, different forms of abuse, different facets of being dehumanized as a woman, different ways that women choose to interpret "live well," etc.
5 0
Replying to sinnyyy • 6 days ago
god i love character growth so much
Amen!!! This drama (ep. 35-37) is doing it SO WELL with Lin Jinqi.
3 0
Replying to Aveira • 6 days ago
I see some people complaining about the slow burn romance; but romance has always been a side plot; not the main…
AMEN!!!!!!! Well said. 👏👏👏
2 0
Replying to Moonlight • 6 days ago
I think his hands had frostbite
Oh of course! This makes sense. It was too cold and he was having trouble loading the gun. Thank you!
3 0
Replying to bnl • 8 days ago
Scroll to the very top and click the Discussion tab
Yes they need to add a “See all” link or something like that
1 0
Replying to Rinsy • 8 days ago
I love that her inner Shen Jialan is more prominent after her marriage...her smartness, her gracefulness, her…
This is such a perfect way to put it!
9 0
Replying to J348 • 8 days ago
I’m so impressed with Ji Er acting. I am now a fan💕
Also what a refreshing character - can't remember the last time I saw such a spunky, spicy, strong-spirited gal in dramaland who went from annoying to crying with her and rooting for her.
7 1
Replying to Purple_lashes • 8 days ago
Lanxiang is usually very decisive in her actions but I am simply unable to understand what she wants in a marriage.…
What a great point. I want to know what her desires are as well. I think what helps me understand them so far are:
1. The webnovel is a very Buddhist story. Hence all the praying to Buddha but also the absence of a revenge arc. If you're Buddhist, you might catch onto the other subtle things woven throughout. But suffice to say: Part of the Buddhist way is to accept one's circumstances and make the most of it - and I think Lanxiang very much lives by that.
2. While she was free and writing plays, it planted a dream in her. I felt like being forced into marriage with the ML was going to ruin her dreams but I was so, so happy and proud when she plainly told ML, "I write plays. I decided before we married. If anyone objects, I don't care. It's what I want to do." She loves it, it fulfills her, and conveniently allows her to earn money. It's not given a super huge focus in the drama, but she makes it very clear that this is one of the things she wants out of life.
3. As for marriage, I don't know. I hope she shares that at some point. But, even if she has thoughts on marriage, after being forced into it with ML, she may have resigned to whatever it is, it is. I think she certainly has made the most of it, given that she doesn't really have feelings for ML yet. She's used the position/power/money from her marriage (along with her innate intelligence) to help all the women around her - freed Jiu'er and the other two women from the brothel/slavery/destitution, freed the eldest sister and her daughter from an abusive husband, writing plays/art that resonates with women and perhaps helps educate them (since we're told that women are bringing their daughters to watch and that Lanxiang is writing a play as of ep 34 about divorce). That's more than any other high-standing lady around her (ahem, second aunt) can say. The fact that she involves ML in her endeavors means that she trusts him enough to do so and I believe shows that she wants a partner in the truest sense of the word - someone to walk alongside with and helping each other accomplish their goals, whatever they may be. She also steps up in-kind, by warning him of things, etc., which is her showing up as true partner.
4. Above all, I think she cares the most about her adoptive parents and wants to take care of them, for them to happy. I think that's why, despite not having feelings for Scholar Han, she agreed behind the scenes to that marriage - it would've enabled her to live right next door to her parents.
11 2
Replying to Mystic_Gold • 8 days ago
I really love how this drama going, but I'm confused with the way people call the interactions between the leads…
I see their interactions the way that you do and feel the same way about if a man forced me into marriage and drugged me. Lanxiang may be very slowly thawing towards Jinqi and she doesn't seem to hate him but she certainly isn't falling for him the way that I feel like some people make her out to be at this point (ep 34); she seems to me just making the best of her circumstances while remaining true to herself.

As for those who see what's happening as "sweet" or "romantic," I think a lot of cdrama viewers project their own romantic desires into dramas. They NEED the leads to be in love, or else. That's my two cents.
12 2
Replying to U-chan U-chan • 8 days ago
Oh No what happened to the broadcast calendar....! It's gone!
Scroll to the very top and click the Discussion tab
0 2
Replying to bnl • 9 days ago
I am beyond disappointed that the drugging was played off like some cutesy disagreement with cutesy music in the…
I read some of your other comments earlier - thank you for being a sane person. The whole drugging thing has dampened my excitement for this drama. I’m someone who’s very analytical so it’s hard for me to turn that off, but, if the drama is about an imperfect ML who learns from the FL as Liu Xueyi said, then hope that the drama does make up for it at some point.
2 0
Replying to Veppeee • 10 days ago
Just finished ep 27. I hope FL ends up with Scholar Han somehow or someone else who prioritizes her wants and…
I am beyond disappointed that the drugging was played off like some cutesy disagreement with cutesy music in the background. What woman in their right mind would be okay with their husband/partner DRUGGING them, while, mind you, saying straight to her face "I don't want to force you". And then literally chooses one of the most obscene ways to force someone to do something - because she was fully UNCONSCIOUS. He could've raped her and she wouldn't have known. Tying her up and gagging her would've been less obscene. This is such a heinous breach of trust and agency. I thought this drama/director was going to be different but here we go again normalizing toxic behavior in the name of "romance" and "I can't live without you." I'm at a loss for words.
3 3
Replying to bnl • 11 days ago
People definitely get blinded by a hot ML and/or projecting their own unfulfilled romantic desires into dramaland.…
My only singular thought was, well, she should be able to find/save Jiu'er more quickly now.
4 2