Love, love, love that they give our villains (Ji Shuran and Imperial Diviner) a backstory in ep 27, fleshes them out as humans and shows us their humanity, making them complex and evokes my sympathy. Appreciate this drama's powerful themes. We can see and understand how Ji Shuran and the Imperial Diviner (and even Shen Yu Rong) ended up going down the paths that they did - how their deeply painful experiences shaped their deeply vicious characters. However, I appreciate Jiang Ruo Yao's character arc; her character growth reminds us that, at the end of the day, we always have a choice in who we want to be. Shen Yu Rong striving to do the right thing, whenever possible, as difficult as it is for him in his position, is also a testament to this.
Overall, love that we see the driving forces behind all the characters, what made them who they are today and what they're driven by in every moment. Excellent, excellent writing and acting!!! Praying for more like this in dramaland!
P.S. The father, Jian Yuan Bai, is also such a well-written character, so much that I hate him. A man who is blind to everyone in his own family, useless and insufficient and easily manipulated, lacking a mind of his own.
now I am really hating the drama after 12 eps the drama will come to an end and still there is nothing between…
I strongly disagree with you. So many dramas are filled with gratuitous skinship when the characters themselves have no actual chemistry or authentic emotion between them to like or love each other - not to mention too many dramas depict toxic interactions. This drama actually shows a couple that greatly respects one another and, most importantly, themselves as well; they show their care for one another in subtle but authentic ways, step by step. They have amazing chemistry because they actually understand one another on a deep level, intellectually and emotionally. They don't need confessions - if you've been paying attention, it's been shown again and again in ways that are more aligned with real relationships than the overdone drama of a fantasy world. And they support one another in their goals. The sexual tension stemming from all that is just the cherry on top because there is an actual foundation of love and respect. And this, to me, is such more powerful storytelling than just having skinship scenes with no actual emotional foundation.
Love this drama!!!! Did they ever explain why Ji Shuran (the stepmom) wants so badly to get rid of Jiang Li? Or is it just assumed that it’s because JL is the daughter of the first wife?
I'm re-watching this as a mid-30s woman and the end of episode 10 made me lose all respect for FL. To be hiding right in front of your bf behind another man, when he could be misconstruing the situation in all sorts of ways, instead of having a conversation head on. She's over 30 for God's sake. (But then again she's an obsessive fangirl to begin with, so what am I expecting....) What was she expecting to happen if he just left like that? To lie her way out of it later? This kind of moment and the trust that's broken from it is pretty irreparable IRL. Then the story took the cheap way out instead of showing character growth. I don't know what I'm expecting from dramaland anymore - it just tries to pass off all sorts of problematic and toxic behavior as cute, funny, or attractive. I'm over it.
I like the drama so far (ep. 6), the premise, and the refreshing new take, but does the FL scream her way through problems for the rest of the drama? If so, I won't be able to stand it. I was hoping for a new kind of FL who could grow through this experience and become an effective public servant through her own skills - not by being an overreactive, screaming Karen. The 18th time around, it's not so cute anymore.
My god this drama had the best payout. Going from episodes filled with angst to the best ending I've seen in dramas in a long time - they really stuck the landing and I bawled like a baby.
NGL I read summaries and fast-forwarded through quite a lot of the angst. But overall, great ensemble cast and characters, great acting from the leads, great story that had so many twists and turns to keep me on my toes until the very end.
Just watched until OG Cai Wei actress dies and will stop here. It’s a very interesting premise and the investigation…
I agree with you. I was only able to watch up to episode 5 because JJY's face is uncanny valley. Felt like I was watching a drama where a Chinese makeup influencer with a permanent face filter would pop up every so often.
The chemistry between ZHHZ (the OG Cai Wei) and LXY is the best genuine chemistry that I've seen in cdramaland in a long time - I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. That is chemistry that money can't buy. I mourn the drama that could've been. If there are any astute producers out there, I'd be booking ZHHZ and LXY right now for a future drama.
I was so happy to unexpectedly come across this gem! So hilarious and romantic in its own wacky way - such a refreshing take on romcoms! Great acting by both leads and I feel like they have way better chemistry than the two in the drama (Dating in the Kitchen, based on the same novel) - in this movie, I can actually see them as a couple in real life; they have the same intense, give-no-effs, chaotic energy. XD I didn't want this movie to end!
BTW, make sure to watch through the credits - there's a bonus scene in there, which I consider to be the perfect ending.
*Love Letter to Romance on the Farm* [No spoilers]Not every drama is going to be everyone's cup of tea. For me,…
I know many people think the VR concept is pointless, but I want to add my two cents by saying that I really appreciate it. I think the VR company worker who debriefed Man'er in the last episode said essentially the thesis of the drama: When Man'er asked him if all the people were NPC's, he said, "Whether they're real of not, it's your experience." That to me is the entire overarching meaning of the drama. Whether through games or VR or watching dramas/movies or daydreaming or imagining things or acting on stage or perhaps believing that our human life is a simulated playground of souls here to learn, real or not (and whatever reality may be), the emotions, connections, and growth that happens as a result are VERY real. And they shape and change a person. Man'er grew - we watched her grow - into a much stronger and grounded version of herself. I don't know anything that's more satisfying and meaningful. That's why I bawled my eyes out at the end (before the special episode) when she sees the grass horse and walks out. Whether all of that was real or not, she has transformed as a person.
*Love Letter to Romance on the Farm* [No spoilers]
Not every drama is going to be everyone's cup of tea. For me, I can't remember the last time I loved a drama this much. As a mid-30's woman, most of the dramas out there don't do it for me. It's bad or mid acting, contrived/ridiculous/illogical plots, poor writing, lazy (or non-existent) character development, pandering to idols and over-romanticized notions, overwrought tropes galore, and unrealistic/overblown (and sometimes downright toxic) romantic behaviors. Most feel like just cash cows; the art of storytelling is lost. Slice of life dramas are too heavy for me so, for years now, I've been watching drama after drama but finding most inane.
Then, here comes this drama. The characters - every single one of them - is so well-written that they feel like real, live people from the first episode. Ironic, no?, that these are people who are supposed to be NPCs have more life in them than any non-first or non-second lead character in every other drama? Say what you will of the family and what they do (I won't argue with you on that one), but the fully fleshed character development for each of them is so good that they all act in line with their character. That's some incredible thought put into acting and storywriting.
The FL is one of the most realistically badass and fully fleshed out characters I've ever seen. She doesn't feel like a character to me - she feels like someone who exists out there in the world. I want to see more of this in dramaland. Because this is what truly inspires me in real life. To persevere as Man'er does, to navigate tricky situations as she does, to be smart and kind as she does, to be guarded at times, to be brave at times, to be feel how it feels to receive love at times, to forgive at times. To grow and transform.
I also really admire this director. I will be following her work for sure. She does such an excellent job with allowing us to see all characters' emotional beats (in a look, a glance, a hand or eye movement), no matter how small, so that, whether you hate them or love them, you can understand their motivations, why they act the way they do, and maybe even empathize with some, if only for a short moment. She shows their flaws and also their humanity. And she does this with every single character that has a name.
I also greatly appreciate the director's attention to detail. There were so many moments where I could feel that she truly cares about this story and her craft - and how much it enriches the story. I can't remember them all, but there is one (not a spoiler) where someone says that the pancakes are getting burnt. Then, as the pancakes are being plated in the background, you can actually see that they are burnt. This is TOTALLY a detail that most productions would absolutely ignore but it's little touches like that that completely immersed me in every second of this story and continued to immerse me for the entire 26.5 episodes. This is all intentional on the director's part - she wants you to feel as Man'er feels. Are you in a virtual world or are you watching a drama or are you just experiencing life whether it's real or not and does that even matter at the end of the day?
Overall, for me, this drama is nothing short of art. (Even the opening and closing credits are art in of themselves.) I can understand if a lot of people don't agree. For me, this was a very well-told and well-executed story, by a director who truly cares, with an excellent cast (that's 10+ people!) that each made me invested (good or bad) in every single one of them, along with one of the most meaningful character arcs that I've seen in dramaland. I thank this cast and crew from the bottom of my heart for bringing this to life, so that I could experience, at times, cathartic bawling; howling laughter; the most tender of love between mother and daughter; anger and grief and joy and shock and judgement and compassion towards imperfect people but nonetheless watching and appreciating them grow in ways big and small.
P.S. I added my thoughts on the VR concept in the comment below as a spoiler.
P.P.S. I also think the politics in the drama is incredibly smart (at least to me, someone who doesn't think politically at all). I was kept on my toes to see how the leads would solve a problem and manipulate people and circumstances. I found it all to be clever and thoughtful writing.
My concerns with the ending:1. The timeline doesn’t seem to justify the presence of the straw horse frame. When…
As someone who works in tech, a CEO would DEFINITELY want to act like an NPC to see how testers would respond. Remember that Man'er is a beta tester - the CEO would want to create the most ideal environment for testing how people behave in a virtual world, which would not be accomplished by introducing people from the real world. Also, CEOs are high up - they're not there to be in the weeds of the work/story; it's very easy for him to say, I want to be a beta tester, so don't tell me what the story is. All to say, ML was definitely pretending to be an NPC, as shown in the subtle acting in the moments where he doesn't react to her real world musings (as you noted), when he says "that actually hurt" in the first episode, and also where he purposefully asks follow-up question to test how she would respond.
I think the ending is finished eventhough not satisfying.. at least it’s happy ending in both world.. did you…
But I think what I appreciate about the VR setup is that SHE changed; that's the most meaningful part. I think the VR guy who offboarded her in the last episode said essentially the thesis of the show when Man'er asked if all the people were NPC's - "Whether they're real of not, it's your experiences."
He did have another son. They forgot about him...lol
Yeah they sort of forgot about him, but I feel like their son was primarily a plot device to further show the discrepancy between how much they care for their son versus their daughter.
Overall, love that we see the driving forces behind all the characters, what made them who they are today and what they're driven by in every moment. Excellent, excellent writing and acting!!! Praying for more like this in dramaland!
P.S. The father, Jian Yuan Bai, is also such a well-written character, so much that I hate him. A man who is blind to everyone in his own family, useless and insufficient and easily manipulated, lacking a mind of his own.
NGL I read summaries and fast-forwarded through quite a lot of the angst. But overall, great ensemble cast and characters, great acting from the leads, great story that had so many twists and turns to keep me on my toes until the very end.
The chemistry between ZHHZ (the OG Cai Wei) and LXY is the best genuine chemistry that I've seen in cdramaland in a long time - I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. That is chemistry that money can't buy. I mourn the drama that could've been. If there are any astute producers out there, I'd be booking ZHHZ and LXY right now for a future drama.
BTW, make sure to watch through the credits - there's a bonus scene in there, which I consider to be the perfect ending.
Not every drama is going to be everyone's cup of tea. For me, I can't remember the last time I loved a drama this much. As a mid-30's woman, most of the dramas out there don't do it for me. It's bad or mid acting, contrived/ridiculous/illogical plots, poor writing, lazy (or non-existent) character development, pandering to idols and over-romanticized notions, overwrought tropes galore, and unrealistic/overblown (and sometimes downright toxic) romantic behaviors. Most feel like just cash cows; the art of storytelling is lost. Slice of life dramas are too heavy for me so, for years now, I've been watching drama after drama but finding most inane.
Then, here comes this drama. The characters - every single one of them - is so well-written that they feel like real, live people from the first episode. Ironic, no?, that these are people who are supposed to be NPCs have more life in them than any non-first or non-second lead character in every other drama? Say what you will of the family and what they do (I won't argue with you on that one), but the fully fleshed character development for each of them is so good that they all act in line with their character. That's some incredible thought put into acting and storywriting.
The FL is one of the most realistically badass and fully fleshed out characters I've ever seen. She doesn't feel like a character to me - she feels like someone who exists out there in the world. I want to see more of this in dramaland. Because this is what truly inspires me in real life. To persevere as Man'er does, to navigate tricky situations as she does, to be smart and kind as she does, to be guarded at times, to be brave at times, to be feel how it feels to receive love at times, to forgive at times. To grow and transform.
I also really admire this director. I will be following her work for sure. She does such an excellent job with allowing us to see all characters' emotional beats (in a look, a glance, a hand or eye movement), no matter how small, so that, whether you hate them or love them, you can understand their motivations, why they act the way they do, and maybe even empathize with some, if only for a short moment. She shows their flaws and also their humanity. And she does this with every single character that has a name.
I also greatly appreciate the director's attention to detail. There were so many moments where I could feel that she truly cares about this story and her craft - and how much it enriches the story. I can't remember them all, but there is one (not a spoiler) where someone says that the pancakes are getting burnt. Then, as the pancakes are being plated in the background, you can actually see that they are burnt. This is TOTALLY a detail that most productions would absolutely ignore but it's little touches like that that completely immersed me in every second of this story and continued to immerse me for the entire 26.5 episodes. This is all intentional on the director's part - she wants you to feel as Man'er feels. Are you in a virtual world or are you watching a drama or are you just experiencing life whether it's real or not and does that even matter at the end of the day?
Overall, for me, this drama is nothing short of art. (Even the opening and closing credits are art in of themselves.) I can understand if a lot of people don't agree. For me, this was a very well-told and well-executed story, by a director who truly cares, with an excellent cast (that's 10+ people!) that each made me invested (good or bad) in every single one of them, along with one of the most meaningful character arcs that I've seen in dramaland. I thank this cast and crew from the bottom of my heart for bringing this to life, so that I could experience, at times, cathartic bawling; howling laughter; the most tender of love between mother and daughter; anger and grief and joy and shock and judgement and compassion towards imperfect people but nonetheless watching and appreciating them grow in ways big and small.
P.S. I added my thoughts on the VR concept in the comment below as a spoiler.
P.P.S. I also think the politics in the drama is incredibly smart (at least to me, someone who doesn't think politically at all). I was kept on my toes to see how the leads would solve a problem and manipulate people and circumstances. I found it all to be clever and thoughtful writing.