Quantcast

Details

  • Last Online: 3 days ago
  • Gender: Female
  • Location:
  • Contribution Points: 0 LV0
  • Roles:
  • Join Date: January 28, 2022
Completed
How Dare You!?
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Apr 24, 2026
32 of 32 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.5
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 7.5
Rewatch Value 7.0
This review may contain spoilers

Lovers Against Fate

This story follows a classic transmigration setup. A young woman, Wang Cuihua, is reading a novel when she suddenly finds herself transported into its world, inhabiting the body of Yu Wanyin, the infamous demonic concubine of the tyrant emperor Xiahou Dan.
In the original plot, Yu Wanyin is destined to die and serves as a cruel antagonist to the story’s main couple: Prince Xiahou Bo and the concubine Xie Yonger. Xie Yonger is meant to fall in love with the prince, overthrow the tyrant, and bring justice to the empire.

But things immediately go off-script. Now aware of her fate, Yu Wanyin refuses to follow that path. She doesn’t want to die, nor does she want to play the villain. On her first night in the palace, when she is presented to the emperor, he initially dismissed her, which leads to them interacting and something in his speech catches her attention: a modern expression that shouldn’t exist in this historical setting. Testing her suspicion, she greets him in English. When he replies, they both realize the truth, they’ve both transmigrated into this novel.

What follows is a mix of political intrigue and comedic moments as the two form an unlikely alliance. Together, they try to avoid their doomed fates, navigate palace schemes, and counter the prince’s rebellion, as they begin to wonder if the supposed “hero” couple has transmigrated as well, all while keeping their shared secret hidden.

The male lead really delivers a standout performance. His portrayal of a ‘tyrant’ is layered and deeply sympathetic. Poisoned since childhood by the empress and his brother, he suffers from constant headaches, emotional trauma, and isolation. He was forced into adulthood through abuse and control, he’s a puppet emperor teetering on the edge of madness, yet he still finds the strength to resist and fight back. What makes his story even more tragic is that he has been trapped in this world for over a decade, enduring years of loneliness before Yu Wanyin arrives.

Xie Yonger is another compelling character. Though initially framed as the “destined heroine”, her story is far more tragic. Manipulated by those around her, she tries to survive in this ruthless environment, even facing the devastating loss of her unborn child, gutted by the knowledge that the father, the prince, wanted her dead. Her character arc is emotional and well-executed.

Yu Wanyin herself is charming, mischievous, and kind-hearted, though there are moments where the portrayal could have explored deeper emotional nuance to me. As for the prince, he perfectly embodies a self-righteous, paranoid figure whose moral superiority quickly becomes insufferable. He’s easy to dislike from the start, and never really redeems himself.

The ending in the drama is simple and somewhat abrupt, implying a happy resolution. However, the original version of this story offers a much more complex conclusion, where the emperor eventually dies from the poison and wakes up in the modern world, while Yu Wanyin remains behind, raising their child alone. She lives out the rest of her life in solitude as the empress before finally dying herself and returning to the modern world, where the two are ultimately reunited. This ending adds a bittersweet layer that the adaptation chose to totally skip.

One clear weakness of the drama lies in its action scenes, which were poorly choreographed and almost cartoonish at times.

That said, the central relationship is a major strength. The chemistry between the leads is strong, and their bond develops naturally. They begin as strangers relying on each other for survival, gradually growing into something deeper. The male lead is protective without being controlling, embodying a quiet support that feels genuine and heartfelt. Their romance unfolds in a believable, gradual way that makes it all the more engaging.

The pacing is another highlight for me. Unlike many dramas that drag eventually, this one has a steady, dynamic flow. The plot progresses fast while still allowing time for character and relationship development.

Overall, it’s an enjoyable and engaging drama definitely worth watching.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Bloodhounds Season 2
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Apr 13, 2026
7 of 7 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.5
Acting/Cast 8.5
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 7.5
This review may contain spoilers

A follow-up that keeps the spirit

Good season. I’m a bit torn, I do think it kept the essence of the series, still felt grounded even though it had having some subtle surreal elements without going over-the-top (ahem, Taxi Driver, full shade).

But... I kind of regret that they spent… what, six episodes with Gunwoo mostly crying and then just showing up to fights, beating up some thugs, and repeating that cycle. I feel like he used to be more proactive than this. On the psychological angle, it does make sense, back in season 1, he just went with the flow and reacted to what happened to him. Now he has hindsight, carries guilt, trauma, and seeing people get hurt again reminds him of what he lost. I actually really like that aspect.

But I’m a bit frustrated that they leaned so much on other characters at either extremes, telling him to toughen up or coddling him. To me, Gunwoo’s charm is his resilience, his pure heart, he doesn’t give in to the criminals’ methods and keeps pushing forward even when he’s scared. I felt less of that here. They kind of made him give in into the whole ‘to stop a monster you must become one’. On another character, I wouldn’t have minded, but... this is Gunwoo. Dreaming of having the ‘heart of a boxer’.

Also, Woojin felt kind of nerfed, literally. I don’t mind him being retired as a coach, and I do think the fights (in general) were better choreographed and more realistic this season. But I expected him to play a more active role like in season 1. Back then, it really felt like he and Gunwoo were a team trying to set things right. Here, it felt more like Gunwoo did most of the fighting while Woojin struggled to keep up and sometimes even needed saving like a damsel in distress. In this season, I found myself just hoping Gunwoo would show up so the beatdowns would stop.

The end of the season does hint that in the eventuality of a 3rd season, they would basically train even more to hunt bloodhounds, so I’m guessing becoming stronger.

Du-yeong being back was truly an emotional moment though. I did wonder what had happened to him since his dead body was never shown, so I’m glad he didn’t die, but they again left us on cliffhanger on not knowing what happened to him after he got stabbed, multiple times. Anyway, I could really feel Gunwoo and Woojin’s emotions when they saw him, it definitely got a few tears out of me.

To conclude, I liked the season, it keeps the spirit of the show but I do think they can do better. Hoping for a season 3.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Love in the Desert
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Feb 25, 2025
26 of 26 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 8.5
Music 7.5
Rewatch Value 7.5

A Captivating Story with Strong Performances, Despite Its Flaws

The story takes place in a desert region where three rival cities fight for dominance. Princess Huang Beishuang, fleeing after the fall of her clan, seeks refuge to the Northern Lord, Huo Qingyun.
However, when she reaches his city, he turns her away at the gates, and tragically, her mother is killed in the process. Barely escaping with her life, Huang Beishuang wanders the desert, where she meets Princess Ge Xin Wei, who is being forced into an arranged marriage with Na Zhan, the Lord of Yunpei City. In a desperate bid for freedom, Huang Beishuang and Ge Xin Wei swap identities, one seeking vengeance, the other adventure.

Unbeknownst to Huang Beishuang, she soon crosses paths with Huo Qingyun once again, the man partly responsible for her pain, and their growing bond becomes more complicated as Huang Beishuang and Huo Qingyun fall in love, but his past actions eventually come to light. She is torn between her duty, revenge, and maintaining her false identity for the newfound clan that now depends on her.

The drama is driven by intricate power struggles, shifting alliances, and characters who must navigate their ambitions while protecting those they care about. Ge Xin Wei, in her new freedom, crosses paths with a ruthless bandit named Ruo Wen. While I personally found him irredeemable as a viewer, Ge Xin Wei falls for him despite his violent past, including an attempted sexual assault on Huang Beishuang, she remains drawn to him, even as he fixates on Huang Beishuang.

Besides the romance, the main plot of the story revolves around ancient texts that the characters are trying to find and decipher, said to hold the secrets for surviving and thriving in the wilderness. These texts seem to be based on knowledge of nature, geography, and other studied fields.

The series delivers intense drama, compelling characters, power struggles, and romance, including surprisingly pretty uncensored skinship scenes, which is rare for Chinese dramas. The acting is strong, with a standout performance from Hankiz Omar, whose stunning presence leaves a lasting impression.

Just be mindful of the trigger warnings before diving in.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Night Has Come
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Dec 21, 2023
12 of 12 episodes seen
Completed 1
Overall 8.0
Story 8.5
Acting/Cast 8.5
Music 7.0
Rewatch Value 7.0
This review may contain spoilers

Wolves disguised as Sheeps.

This story is pure fiction, thriller and horror. It turns out that during a school retreat, the students of a class find themselves alone and locked in the Mafia Game. There are the Citizens who must find the Mafias, and they are helped by the Police and Doctor, while the Mafias must kill all the citizens. Every day, the Citizens must vote for a person they believe to be one of the Mafias, and they must then hide during the night because they are immobilized in a sleep while the Mafias hunt to kill them. It's a cruel and bloody game of cat and mouse that gives rise to desperate and even psychopathic characters.

The series really took the storytelling from a fairly human and brutal angle. We end up with teenagers who kill each other and betray each other between friends, who do unspeakable acts to each other, and the worst is that we can sense desperation and that they hate the fact that they have to do this to survive.

The key word is not to stand out to draw suspicion, and until the last episode there were revelations about characters that we didn't suspect.

The only downside is the ending, although I was expecting a sort of simulation, and that it spoils the story a bit as unrealistic, it teases a second season that I hope will see the light of day. Otherwise, even with this kind of ending, the series is very much enjoyable for its thrilling and suspenseful moments.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Come and Hug Me
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Dec 8, 2023
32 of 32 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 8.5
Music 7.5
Rewatch Value 7.0
This review may contain spoilers

Family doesn't begin and end with blood.

This story is supposedly centered around a tragic love story but in truth, I would rather say that it is a family drama spread over a decade.

The story is quite complex and long, but it all starts with Yoon Na Moo. He is a studious and upright young man, who meets Gil Nak Won, a newly moved neighbor. What should have been the beginning of a tender love story between young teenagers quickly descends into hell, and all because of Yoon Hui Jae, Yoon Na Moo's dear father. You see, Yoon Hui Jae is a psychopath and serial killer, over the course of his life he has killed women with no motive. This man who only gives value to strengh, has two sons, Yoon Hyun Moo is Yoon Na Moo's big brother. Yoon Hyun Moo is basically a bully, but this is more complex, in truth, he is a character who has lived with the suffering of not being acknowledged by his father. Considered a "weakling", he never received any degree of attention. So, he's acting out, trying to attract the attention of his father, but also his stepmother who cared for the two boys. In contrast, Yoon Na Moo is the son cherished by his father, whom he holds in great esteem, since he was very young.

With that said, Yoon Hui Jae, the father considers that any kind of love and affection that his beloved son receives is holding him back, making him weak. This leads to a terrible Christmas night where the father murders Gil Nak Won's parents, and attempts to kill her too only to be stopped by his son, who defends Gil Nak Won against his father, calls the police, and later testify against him.

We then follow the characters over the space of 12 years, as they grow up and try to live with the terrible memories of that night, still mysterious to the public. Yoon Na Moo tries to atone for his father's crimes by being a police officer.

The story becomes more complex when murders by a serial killer begin and a stalker tries to take Gil Nak Won's life.

The series initially relied heavily on flashbacks to emphasize the relationship of each character, their motives and actions. The characters in the family are well developed. And if at the beginning we are carried away by the love story between Gil Nak Won and Yoon Na Moo when they are young, and which continues over time, quickly the family relationships in the Yoon family become the center of the intrigue and the main engine of the series.

Despite how fucked up the characters are, discovering the obsessions and unhealthy relationships they have, I can't help but have affection for them. Whether it's the mother-in-law who fled with her little daughter, witnessing Yoon Hui Jae one night with a bloody face, and who is trying to make up for leaving the two boys behind with their father. The big brother who tries to repair a family that no longer exists by committing crimes but also by sacrificing himself. The little sister who loves her two brothers unconditionally. And the more fascinating one of the psychopathic father with his youngest golden son.

This is an intricate and tragic web to behold.

As a final mention, I must say that I loved hearing the pronounced dialect of the main characters, I found it very charming.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Why R U?
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Nov 20, 2023
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.0
Story 7.0
Acting/Cast 7.5
Music 6.0
Rewatch Value 7.0

Simple Korean BL.

I think it's a cute romance, I enjoyed following the two couples. The plot is rather simple, it's boys trying to conquer their crush. The acting is good but nothing incredible either, the Korean actors have difficulty getting above awkwardness when it comes to physical touches while they excel in emotional delivery (I hope the Korean BL industry will continue to grow until we can have full fledged series). I would have liked it to explore more in length if only the episodes were allocated 10 minutes more, without a lengthy intro and epilogue.

I think that to pass the time without hassle, it's ideal.

Small downside, the editing of certain scenes are confusing, sometimes I was wondering if it was a scene imagined by our protagonists, dreams or simply reality because certain characters switch behaviors very quickly.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Bloodhounds
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Jun 23, 2023
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 7.0
This review may contain spoilers

One of the best action and revenge drama of the year.

I'm more than familiar with Woo Do Hwan as an actor, he's the one who made me check out this series and I don't regret it.

I would like to say that a lot of k-dramas tends to fall too much into the cheesy cliché when it comes to good people supporting each other to accomplish a goal/revenge (example Mad Dog, Taxi Driver S2), the interactions just become superficial and predictable, good storyline is replaced by humour.

Here, the series had the perfect balance between emotion, action and intensity with humor and the relationships between the characters.

Woo Do Hwan here is showing how much he is one of the most promising young actors in South Korea, his acting of a good kid wanting to protect his loved ones was embodied perfectly, we really feel for him. But I have to say, it wouldn't have been the same without Lee Sang Yi completing him. The two have shown us a very strong friendship, which goes beyond social expectations and is based entirely on the instant friendship and familiar feeling they got toward each other since they've met. Their moments of support have been truly admirable. Woo Do Hwan making us feel like he needed Lee Sang Yi, his hyung. They supported each other until the end.

Park Sung Woong was a perfect antagonist, just the right amount of annoyance, complexity and substance. A real psychopath.

As for Kim Sae Ron, I was surprised when she abruptly left the show after Lee Sang Yi's life was in the balance, without really saying goodbye, but I guess it make sense for her to fulfill her grandfather's wish by going in Italy, I would have hoped for it to be written better.

Speaking of writing, the script is just awesome, it's simple but intense, the fighting choreographies are very realistic, I felt really engaged in the story. And for once the police are quite effective and the nepo kid is likeable. So what more could you ask for ?

I just hope to see Woo Do Hwan and Lee Sang Yi on the same screen one day, they have great chemistry.

I recommend this series without hesitation.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Love Mechanics
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Jan 13, 2023
10 of 10 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 8.5
Music 6.5
Rewatch Value 8.0

Hands down, it's one of the best Thai BL series of 2022.

Wow, I have to say this is one of the best Thai BLs I've seen, and that's just down to the acting. In all, of all the Thai BL series I have seen, the only two series that have such good acting are "Not Me" and "I told the sunset about you".

Here, there are two aspects of acting that I would like to highlight.

The first is the couple. I think the way it was shot definitely played on the outcome, it was far from the cheesy shots and sometimes uncomfortable where the actors just stare at each other to make it last - which is incredibly embarrassing to witness. Honestly, I learned to ignore that in the Thai series because it's present in all of them, but here, thank god we were free of that. This makes the moments when they look into each other's eyes seem natural and not excessively long.
Speaking of the couple, it looks like they were comfortable with each other. This is the first time I've seen these actors, but from what I've gathered they've known each other and worked together for several years. This is their first series as both main leads, and it shows how well they know each other. They have perhaps the most natural chemistry and interactions I've ever witnessed between two men who play off each other's attraction.
Maybe it's also a personal feeling, but their chemistry and how comfortable they are really surprised me, from just talking, arguing or when they show their physical attraction.

Second is their individual acting. I don't know where this kid is from but War is one of the best Thai actors I've seen. And I'm not saying this lightly as I never considered the acting of Thai BL series actors to be ground-breaking, but War just threw me off. This kid is talented, I hope no matter if he wants to stay in the BL industry or not, he gets into other projects, especially complex scripts that would highlight his talent.
I mean, his eyes say so much, his micro expressions and then also his character who could have been shallow like the majority of young men who play in these series where they are blindly in love with another, but with little he could showed how much he could add to the character. He didn't just play a character, he embodied it, which is rare, and he showed he has potential.

I hope that if they still have acting projects together, War and Yin, they won't choose another series that gives us the same thing and the same kind of role as many duos do in their other BL projects.

To mention Yin, yes he doesn't shine enough to be at War's level, but his acting is more than decent. I don't expect him to ever pull off the same kind of complexity as War but it definitely has potential to grow, which is quite a lot compared to many of its peers. Honestly, I'm waiting to see more about it.

So in the end, the script itself is nothing special, it's deja vu, it's just two guys trying to navigate their new found love. Lots of unnecessary scenes and plotlines, really many stupid choices made by the characters, but it's filled with a mix of human emotions from tender moments, love, joy, complicity, misunderstanding, fear, sadness and jealousy. It's the typical mix of these series but it's really the acting that did everything here.

As for the second couple, for me they had nothing special and nothing new to bring that I haven't already seen a hundred times in other BL series but their acting is good for the role they had.

So, I highly recommend this series.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Alice in Borderland Season 2
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Jan 2, 2023
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 1
Overall 8.5
Story 9.0
Acting/Cast 8.5
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 8.0

The best sequel I've seen of a Japanese show yet.

I must say that season 2 has surpassed the first season. Here not only do we experience the games on a wider scale (the entire city) but also the point of view change and make the rhythm more interesting.

In season 1, after episode 4 we spend the rest of the time pretty much at the "Beach" where the plot develops but here, we change each episode of location and challenges.

And the intensity was there.

My heart aches because it's over, it was really entertaining and the characters once again, highly relatable. The acting was top-notch.

The only downside for me is the ending. I don't want to spoil anything, but I must say that they tricked us several times with false explanations to this alternate reality, and compared to the truth, these lies were more exciting.

But I still recommend to see, this season is definitely the best.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Alice in Borderland
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Jan 1, 2023
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 9.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 7.5
Rewatch Value 8.0

A series striking of intensity.

I'll make it short, but from the first episode the series transports us to a very intense world of anguish and fear.

People are forced to play games that are deadly, each of these games are represented by cards that designate whether it is a test of combat, physicality, mind or heart. Those of the heart being of course the most tragic.

The series makes us discover this almost apocalyptic world, we become attached to characters who leave far too soon, we root for them to just make out of a game while just afterwards they are immersed again in the cruel aspects of this world.

The loyalty and values of these individuals are put to the test.

It's really a superb first season that grabs the viewer and does not let go.

The production is insane and the acting is top notch, not one character was lacking.

I highly recommend.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
My Name
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Dec 13, 2022
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.5
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 8.5
Music 7.0
Rewatch Value 6.0

Intense series.

I'll make it short. It's the typical revenge scenario, so nothing new here. On the other hand, I think it was executed quite well overall. Personally, I found who was the culprit from the first episode but it didn't stop me from enjoying the series.

I don't watch a lot of series with female leads because generally I don't get on with their often cliché characters, but here I liked the simplicity, yet the determination of a young girl to find out who killed her father. She was a hero that I loved to follow the journey. I felt for her and I rooted for her until the end.

In terms of production, I must say it's very good, the script really leaned on the emotional side, and if we could sympathize with the killer, with a psychopath ? What if we hated a police force that does its best ? Me, that's what I love, simple but well-crafted scripts that transport us emotionally.

Only one regret is that one of the detective died, especially in this way, I had come to love his character, and he deserved better.

Overall, a good mini-series, a good script, a good production with intense fighting choreographies, good actors. 8 episodes were enough, no need more or less.
I recommend this series.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Uncanny Counter
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Dec 12, 2022
16 of 16 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.5
Story 7.5
Acting/Cast 7.5
Music 7.0
Rewatch Value 7.0
This review may contain spoilers

Good first season.

It tells the story of the demons hunters called Counters, whose goal is to capture Evil Spirits that have return to earth in pursuit of Eternal Life.

It is the somewhat typical series that brings together several elements, such as endearing characters and forming a team that becomes a family. We cannot help but root for the characters, like So Moon, who is the new addition to the Counters, it is a pure and innocent young man, who has two adorable grandparents and a lively trauma left by the death of his parents. He is our main character.
Then, Do Ha Na a mysterious but sensitive young women, who does not hesitate to fight for those she loves.
Ga Mo Tak, who was a police officer but lost his memory seven years ago after an accident, strangely the same day when So Moon's father and mother died, who were also police officers. Ga Mo Tak becomes So Moon’s mentor.
Chu Mae Ok is the maternal and protective figure of the group, she is ready to do anything for them, even to sacrificed her own life.
And finally, Choi Jang Mool, who comes and helps the other Counters from time to time, he is in charge of all of the Counters' expenses.

The series comes down to politicians who use their power to crush anyone who puts themselves in their path, they do not hesitate to corrupt and kill, using the worst methods, even going so far as to poison water reserves that the population use without the slightest care of killing them.
The series also take a look at the bullying done in schools, with the bullies which are protected instead of the victims, generally because they have highly placed parents.
And then the heart of the series, the Evils Spirit that the Counters fight, including one in particular which is at the origin of many pains, losses and trauma of several characters.

The script is not complicated but it is well put together, it gives us action, humorous, touching, sad, painful moments, it is a complete package. On the other hand, I would be honest, a lot of plots are predictable and scenes that I have just skipped, so there is this modern cheesy element but in the end it is good.

In summary, it is everything that people are craving for, I am more curious to see season 2, I want to see more sides and depth to our characters, even new faces, I want to see new challenges.

So a solid and entertaining first season, good production and script, and acting (even though nobody really stood out among them - yet, I hope next season will change that), and I'm waiting for more depth for season 2.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
All of Us Are Dead
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Dec 10, 2022
12 of 12 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.5
Story 8.5
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 7.0
Rewatch Value 7.0

Good first season.

All of Us Are Dead is the typical apocalyptic series which this time tells the story of several students and their fight to survive against zombies.

The premise may seem like deja vu but it's really entertaining. Especially since it takes place in a school, and sometimes we are even entitled to comic relief moments. The series really relied on good production, be it the zombies, the gory and violent scenes. As for the script, I mean, it's fictional but it makes sense, through and through.

The characters are so adolescent representation that it's funny, between impromptu jealousies, friendships, enmities, and love, it was human.

I also liked how much the series also describes human stupidity, like this streamer who goes to the zombie zone just to do live and gain likes and subscribers, it represents our time so much, and is sadly too accurate.

I'm not going to write more, I'll finish saying that the series is good and entertaining, I especially hope that a character will make his return, his character might of seemed dull to some, but he was loyal and combative even if quiet. I hope he is transformed like the new species of zombies (which are not really) and that he will perhaps bring more depth and side to his character next season.

Can't wait for season 2.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Sweet Home
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Nov 18, 2022
10 of 10 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.5
Story 7.5
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 6.5
This review may contain spoilers

A promising first season.

I will make this short review. This is the story of Cha Hyun Soo and the residents of his building. One day suddenly people turn into monsters and they have to survive in this building at all costs.

To be honest, it's the typical kind of series with the monsters. Besides, I would have liked the monsters to have less CGI and more prosthetics, but it's probably a question of budget. We discover that among the people who transform, they can keep a human part and reason but for that they must fight in their mind to not give up to the monsters, it's a curse.
This is what Hyun Soo does, he resists and becomes a special kind of monster, very valuable. I don't want to reveal too much, but I like the story they found for him, and it's not just people fighting in a building against monsters. Many people die, and the essence of the series is our protagonists creating a community and trying to survive day to day, sometimes without water or electricity.

So the script is quite simple. On the other hand, they added characters over time that made the series finale interesting and further, which holds promise for future seasons.

I also want to mention that Song Kang did a good job in his acting again, I wouldn't say he showed it all, but this series is really a stepping stone for him and his future career. He is really talented.

If I had to summarize, it's not a super complicated story, it's more based on action and the survival of the characters, it is nice.

So I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
While You Were Sleeping
0 people found this review helpful
by Anais
Nov 8, 2022
32 of 32 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 6.5
Rewatch Value 7.0

To not miss.

It's the story of a young woman with bad premonition dreams who meets two people who suddenly develop the same ability, they realize that their lives are now somehow entwined.

It was really a pleasure to discover this series. It's a relatively simple story overall. Three people who dream of each other, more particularly of their future/events.

I saw this series because I decided to see the work where Lee Jong Suk starred, and to be honest I'm not a fan of romance but I find myself enjoying his series and roles, be it the action and thriller to romance and melodrama. Up to this point, I believe I haven't seen any series where Lee Jong Suk would be bad. So, I picked up this series hoping to enjoy it but I really liked this one.

Already, I must say that overall although there is drama, it is relatively light-hearted. Lee Jong Suk plays Jung Jae Chan, a young prosecutor who starts his career and who, thanks to circumstances, finds himself dreaming and involved with Suzy, who plays Nam Hong Ju, a fearless young reporter who has premonitory dreams herself. The drama plays relatively well on humor and comedy, with romance and intense moments of suspense. Knowing the future, they find themselves trying to change it when it turns out bad, but the consequences can be worse.

I don't want to say more, but the script is really well written. Each character introduced is intimately linked to others, and especially the story of our three protagonists turns out to be more complicated than one might have thought. They each have their trauma and secrets.
The fact that this drama is light hearted also means that yes, "good" people always win. I'm not going to blame the lack of realism because I know the show wasn't filmed that way, but overall message was more of "do the right thing" to the audience.

It was nice, I also liked to follow the relationship between the characters even if I would have liked even more interactions between Lee Jong Suk and Jung Hae In (who plays Han Woo Tak). I believe it would have been a good opportunity to embellish a male friendship.

To continue on the series, the flow is really good, we go from one event and cases to another. The past, present and future intertwine and give us an intriguing web of mystery surrounding our characters.

Honestly, this series was really a pleasure to discover, not once did I get bored, the series made me feel joy but also sadness, it made my heart beat with fear and anguish for our protagonists. It's was really a good K-drama and I don't say this often in my reviews, specially when romance is involved. The series was human and relatable.

So, I recommend without hesitation.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?