News
This review may contain spoilers
Growing Up Rarely Goes According to Plan
I went into Always Home expecting something along the lines of When I Fly Towards You mixed with Go Ahead. In a way, it does feel like a child of those two dramas, so I expected a sweet, fairly typical youth story about friendship, school, and first love. What I didn’t expect was just how real it would feel.Honestly, this might be one of the most realistic youth dramas I’ve watched.
What I loved most is that the drama never feels like it’s creating situations simply because it needs drama. Instead, it feels like we’re watching a group of ordinary people grow up. Their lives aren’t extraordinary. Their dreams don’t magically work out. Their relationships are messy. They make questionable decisions, change directions, disappoint themselves, and slowly realize that adulthood looks very different from what they imagined when they were younger.
Watching this after already finishing university and entering the corporate world made it especially nostalgic for me. There were so many moments where I found myself thinking, this is actually what growing up feels like.
The heart of the drama for me was definitely the friendship, particularly between Chen Huan’er, Jing Qichi, and Song Cong. I loved their dynamic and genuinely enjoyed watching them grow up together. At the same time, I actually wish the drama had leaned even harder into their friendship. Their bond was always there, but I wanted it to feel even more airtight. I wanted more moments that really emphasized how deeply connected they were.
But even that criticism circles back to what the drama does best: realism. Friendships don’t remain exactly the same from high school to university to adulthood. People get busy, move in different directions, fall in love, pursue careers, and develop lives outside their childhood friends. So while part of me wanted that perfect, inseparable youth-drama friendship, I understand why Always Home chose something more grounded.
My biggest problem was actually the romance—or should I say the love triangle, square, pentagon, whatever that situation was.
It was messy.
There were so many overlapping feelings and crushes, especially earlier in the drama, that I sometimes wished they would stop focusing on who liked whom and simply let these characters be friends. It felt unnecessary, particularly because eventually everyone finds the person they are actually supposed to be with anyway, while almost nobody ends up with the person they originally liked.
Ironically, though, even this was realistic. High school crushes ARE messy. People like the wrong person. Your friend likes someone who likes somebody else. Feelings change. Looking back, school really was full of these ridiculous relationship diagrams. So I can’t even say it was unrealistic—I just personally didn’t enjoy how much attention it received.
I also struggled somewhat with the college portion. This was probably the part where I became the most bored and started fast-forwarding. Their college lives and individual storylines simply weren’t as interesting to me as their younger years. The drama is already very slow-burn, so once I became less invested in that stage of their lives, I definitely felt the pacing.
The romance itself was nice once everything settled down, and the cast had great chemistry with one another, but romance was never the reason I cared about this drama. For me, Always Home works much better as a story about friendship, family, youth, dreams, failure, and growing up.
And I loved how differently it approached its characters.
Chen Huan’er, for example, was refreshing because she doesn’t begin the story with some enormous dream she is determined to achieve. She is simply trying to figure herself out. That felt incredibly relatable. Not everyone is seventeen years old knowing exactly what they want to do for the rest of their life. Some people are just… figuring it out.
I loved her personality too, although one thing that genuinely annoyed me was how little her character seemed to change over the roughly ten years covered by the story. I wish we had seen more obvious maturity and development from her because there were moments where she felt almost exactly the same despite so much time having passed.
Then there’s Jing Qichi, whom I really enjoyed because he isn’t the stereotypical cold youth-drama male lead. Instead, he’s energetic, mischievous, playful, a little troublesome, and incredibly alive. That made him so much more fun to watch.
His story also represents one of the things I respected most about this drama.
He dreams of becoming a football player.
And he doesn’t.
That genuinely broke my heart, but I also loved that the drama had the courage to do it.
Not everyone achieves their childhood dream. Sometimes you can love something, work incredibly hard for it, and still fail. Sometimes circumstances change. Sometimes your body, your family, money, timing, or simply life itself takes you somewhere else.
And then you become something else.
Even when Jing Qichi enters the working world, the drama doesn’t suddenly bend reality around him. The company doesn’t magically change its rules because he’s the protagonist. Life continues being life, and he has to adapt to it.
I found that incredibly refreshing.
Song Cong’s journey was another storyline I really appreciated. He grows up accustomed to being the best—the person at the top—and eventually has to confront the reality that he cannot always be number one. He does pursue his dream, unlike Jing Qichi, but even achieving what you thought you wanted doesn’t automatically answer the question of whether you have fulfilled your purpose in life.
I loved that contrast between them.
One character I personally could not connect with, though, was Qi Qi. She was easily my least favorite character. I found her selfish, bratty, and honestly quite annoying, and I never became particularly invested in her storyline. I also wasn’t especially convinced by her relationship with Song Cong.
But once again, somehow even my dislike for her fits into what I appreciate about this drama.
People like Qi Qi exist.
Not every person you grow up with is going to be perfectly likable or have beautiful character development. Some people are frustrating. Some people are selfish. Some people make choices you don’t understand. Always Home allows its characters to be imperfect in ways that sometimes genuinely annoyed me, but that imperfection is also part of why the world feels believable.
I also really enjoyed the older generation. The relationships between the mothers and fathers, their friendships, their dynamics with their children, and the way the families were connected added so much warmth to the story. It gave the drama that feeling of watching not simply a group of teenagers, but an entire little community growing and changing together.
And then we get to the ending.
I absolutely loved the final episode.
For all my complaints about the romantic messiness and wishing the friendship had received even more focus, the finale reminded me what this drama had actually been about all along.
It wasn’t really about who ended up dating whom.
It was about youth.
The final sequence, especially the characters speaking to and giving advice to their younger selves, genuinely made me teary. There was something so bittersweet about watching these adults look back at the versions of themselves who had all these dreams, fears, expectations, and assumptions about what their lives would eventually become.
Some dreams came true.
Some didn’t.
Some people followed their own path. Others followed what their parents wanted before eventually finding themselves. Some relationships lasted. Others changed. Some people achieved exactly what they wanted and still wondered whether it was enough.
And life continued anyway.
That was such a beautiful way to conclude this particular story because Always Home never needed some enormous dramatic message. At its core, it really is just a story about a group of people growing up.
And maybe that’s why it hit me as hard as it did.
There is something incredibly nostalgic about watching Always Home as an adult because it reminds you of that period when your entire life was still ahead of you and you genuinely believed you knew where it was going. Then you grow up and realize that life rarely follows the plan you made for it at seventeen.
I definitely had issues with the drama. The love pentagon was exhausting, I wish the friendship had received even more attention, the college portion bored me enough that I fast-forwarded through parts of it, and some character choices frustrated me. It is also very much a slow-burn drama, so I wouldn’t recommend going into it expecting constant plot developments or a romance-heavy story.
But despite all of that, I genuinely enjoyed it.
The performances were wonderful, the cast had great chemistry, the family relationships were heartwarming, and the story left a surprisingly strong impression on me.
Always Home doesn’t tell you that everyone will achieve their dreams.
It doesn’t tell you that your first love will be your last.
It doesn’t tell you that your friendships will remain exactly the same forever.
It simply tells you that you will grow up.
You’ll change. You’ll fail at some things and succeed at others. You’ll lose dreams you once thought defined you and discover new paths you never planned for. The people beside you will grow too, sometimes closer to you and sometimes in completely different directions.
And eventually, you’ll look back at the person you used to be with a strange mixture of affection, embarrassment, sadness, and nostalgia.
That’s what Always Home captured so beautifully for me.
It’s messy, slow, imperfect, incredibly heartwarming, and probably one of the most realistic portrayals of youth I’ve watched.
And somehow, its imperfections make it feel even more real.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
It’s Really Good—But It Could’ve Been Incredible
I honestly agree with the general opinion that this show had so much wasted potential. And that’s what makes it frustrating—because it’s actually a good drama. I would still recommend it and say it’s worth watching, but I don’t fully understand the level of hate it gets. I feel like a lot of people who dropped it early (like within the first 5–10 episodes) are the ones who ended up disliking it. This is definitely one of those shows that gets better the more you watch.The biggest issue is the beginning. The first episode is insanely overwhelming—probably one of the most crowded premieres I’ve ever seen. It feels like they threw everything at you all at once. Within the first episode (and honestly the first few episodes), you’re introduced to 20–30 important characters, expected to remember their names, understand their roles, and follow the plot at the same time. It’s just too much information too quickly. The show does live up to its title—“generation to generation”—with multiple generations and interconnected characters, but the way it’s introduced is messy and confusing.
That’s really the core problem of the drama: the execution. The story itself is strong, interesting, and has a lot of emotional pull—it does make you want to keep watching. But the storytelling? Not great. It’s messy, poorly paced, and sometimes just not engaging enough. The editing especially is rough. You get moments of beautiful cinematography, then suddenly very choppy transitions or scenes that feel out of place or even ridiculous. It’s inconsistent, and it really holds the show back from being something amazing.
The relationship is another mixed point. The leads had amazing chemistry—honestly, they carried the show. They looked great together, acted well together, and had that natural compatibility that makes you want to root for them. But the writing didn’t do them justice. Their relationship felt very push-and-pull, but not in a satisfying way. She forgives him too easily, he keeps using her or keeping her in the dark, and somehow every time they meet, it’s like nothing ever happened. There’s no real emotional consequence. I also felt like their relationship was never clearly defined, which made it frustrating to follow. I really wish the show had explored them more deeply instead of just giving us scattered moments.
That said, I did like how much the people around her cared for her—that was actually really nice to see. And I liked the second male lead as well. The cast overall felt very fresh, with a lot of new faces. Some were really impressive and I’d love to see more of them, while others were just okay. But the youthful energy of the cast definitely added something to the show.
Visually, there were some strong points. The costumes were beautiful and sometimes quite unique, and certain scenes had really nice cinematography. And Zhou Yiran—this was my first time seeing him in a historical drama, and he really suits it. He looked amazing, and you can tell a lot of people noticed that too. His styling was great (even if those two random flying hair strands showed up way too often… seriously, what was that). As for the female lead, Bao she was very cute and did a good job. I personally prefer her in softer roles, but she still worked here and matched well with him.
There are definitely flaws beyond the structure too. Some acting wasn’t the strongest, some scenes felt unnecessary or over-the-top, and certain plot justifications—like everything being done “for Pingshu”—weren’t convincing. It felt like they leaned too heavily on that excuse.
Despite all that, I still think the show is worth watching. Once you get past the first 5–6 episodes (which you really have to push through), it becomes a much easier and smoother watch. The episodes go by quickly, and the chemistry between the leads keeps you invested. It turns into something light and bingeable, even if it never fully reaches its potential.
At the end of the day, it’s frustrating because this could have been so much better. With stronger direction, better editing, and more focused storytelling, it could have been incredible. Instead, it’s a good drama with great moments, carried heavily by its cast and central couple—but still very much a missed opportunity.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Pretty and emotional, but not very gripping
a nice show overall, but honestly it felt like it lacked a clear plot. The whole time I was watching, I kept wondering what the actual endgame was supposed to be. The concept itself is interesting—an immortal and a Spirit Lord—but the execution didn’t feel strong enough to keep me hooked. It wasn’t boring, but it also didn’t feel gripping. A lot of things were happening, yet it somehow felt like nothing was really happening. It felt more like narration than actual progression, and I never got that feeling that made me want to keep coming back for more.The first half of the show felt especially slow. It leaned more into a fluffy and light tone, which was fun at times, but it made the central storyline feel weak. The whole “senses” plotline didn’t feel strong enough to carry the entire drama. The show only really picked up toward the end, where things became more action-heavy and exciting. I actually found the last part much more interesting because you could finally see things moving and progressing. It did feel like everything important was pushed into the final episodes, which made the earlier part drag in comparison.
That being said, the drama was still enjoyable. It had humor, it was a bit bittersweet, and it had some emotional moments that worked really well. It just didn’t have that strong, addictive quality or that memorability that makes a drama stand out.
Dilraba really carried the show for me. She was absolutely stunning, and her presence fit the character perfectly. She balanced the softer, more playful side and the cold, powerful Spirit Lord side really well. Her styling, costumes, hair, and overall look were incredible, and you can tell there was a lot of effort put into her appearance. Acting-wise, she was great, but I didn’t like how her character was written. The shift between her when she had her senses and when she didn’t felt too extreme, almost like two completely different people, which made her feel inconsistent at times.
Arthur Chen, in my opinion, can act, and I don’t really agree with people who say he can’t. He has presence and he delivers in emotional scenes. However, I did have an issue with his styling, especially the wigs. Most of them just didn’t suit him and honestly took me out of the scenes. He looked much better in armor, and I actually think he fits general roles really well because he has that strong aura. But in regular outfits, it didn’t always work for him. As for his character, I didn’t fully connect with his love for her. It felt like he fell for her too easily, and I never really understood why he loved her so deeply. It made the romance feel less impactful for me.
The chemistry between them was nice, but not something I’d call memorable. Some scenes were done really well, and you could feel the connection, but overall it didn’t fully convince me. Part of that might be the dynamic itself—she’s supposed to be centuries old, while he feels much younger—and it didn’t always come across with the depth it should have.
Miles Wei was really good as a villain, as expected. He always does a great job making you hate him, which just shows how good he is. My only issue was the dubbing because his voice didn’t match him at all, and it was very noticeable. It kind of took me out of his scenes. The rest of the cast did a great job as well, especially the child actor Chen Ying, who always delivers emotionally. His storyline was heartbreaking, and I really liked his end arc. Fang’s storyline was also very sad, especially everything he sacrificed, and the side characters overall added a lot to the drama.
Production-wise, the drama was beautiful. The cinematography, CGI, and fight scenes were all really well done, both in the mortal world and the spiritual world. The fight scenes especially stood out to me. You can clearly see the budget in the costumes and overall visuals. Everything looked polished and high quality. The OST was also amazing, and Liu Yuning, as always, did a great job.
As for the ending, I have mixed feelings, but I did enjoy it. I liked both versions of the ending, whether he stayed as a spirit with her or she became immortal. Personally, I preferred her becoming mortal because it felt more meaningful for her character and her dream. The last episode was very emotional, and I definitely cried, especially during his death and seeing her constantly losing the people she loves. His final act of giving her all the senses so she could live the moment fully, even at the cost of his life, was really beautiful and one of the stronger emotional moments in the show.
Overall, it’s a good drama, but it doesn’t bring anything new or particularly memorable. It’s softer than typical xianxia dramas and not very dark or intense. I would still recommend it, especially if you like emotional stories and strong visuals, but I wouldn’t go into it expecting a very strong or gripping plot. It’s more of a relaxed watch that you can enjoy without thinking too deeply about it.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
A Warm, Melancholic Story About Fate and Young Love
First Love is such a beautiful story about fate, first love, and how life doesn’t always go the way we expect it to. What I loved most about this drama is that it isn’t just a romance. It’s also very much about life itself—about hardships, missed chances, and the unpredictable paths people take.Despite everything the characters go through, I really appreciated that in the end both of them achieve their dreams. I was honestly hoping for that outcome, and it made the whole journey feel meaningful.
The show feels like a warm hug. Even though it’s full of obstacles, separation, and sad moments, there’s something incredibly comforting about it. It has that cozy feeling where you just want to sit with a cup of tea on a rainy day and watch it slowly unfold. It’s melodramatic, yes, but in a very gentle, reflective way.
Both actors did an incredible job. The performances were amazing across the board, especially with the younger and older versions of the characters. They really captured the emotions of the story beautifully.
The cinematography is another highlight. The way the show is shot is stunning—it often feels more like a movie than a series. Everything has this soft, melancholic tone that fits the story perfectly. Since the drama is inspired by a song, it actually feels like watching a song come to life, which I thought was really beautiful.
That said, the second couple didn’t interest me very much. Her child’s storyline was more interesting than the couple itself, and the pair involving Yutaka didn’t really leave much of an impression on me.
The only aspect I didn’t enjoy was the situation with the girlfriend. It felt like the male lead was emotionally cheating with the female lead while still being with her, and he never properly ended that relationship. I actually liked him with the girlfriend too, which made the situation feel unfair to her.
The characters can also feel a bit inconsistent at times—sometimes they’re very talkative and extroverted, and other times suddenly very withdrawn. I also wish we had gotten more time seeing the main couple actually being together. Since the entire show revolves around them, it would have been nice to get another episode of them traveling together or simply rediscovering their relationship.
One thing the drama does very well is the timeline shifts. The transitions between the past and present are smooth and easy to follow, never confusing.
Overall, I would definitely recommend First Love, but it’s not a very eventful drama. It’s more on the calm, reflective side—a quiet story about life, love, separation, and how one moment can change the direction of so many lives.
It’s the kind of show you watch when you want something soft, emotional, and comforting.
Was this review helpful to you?
Not a Great Drama, But a Really Enjoyable One
The Main character imo is BAKA (Idiot). The ML has absolutely zero romantic skills, yet the actor carries the role with so much charisma that it somehow works. What could have easily become an annoying character instead becomes entertaining because of how well the actor leans into that awkwardness and charm.The female lead also does a great job portraying her character. I did find quite a few aspects of her personality a bit annoying at times, but the actress really commits to the role and sells the character well. Even when the writing makes her frustrating, the performance keeps her likable enough.
One thing I didn’t love was how love-driven the story was from the start. I wish the drama had taken a bit more time building things before jumping straight into that dynamic.
That said, the chemistry between the leads is really strong. A lot of it comes from the male lead’s screen presence — he creates this constant tension that makes their interactions fun to watch.
The show definitely has its fair share of cringe scenes, but strangely that’s part of its charm. It’s a refreshing drama that moves quickly and gets straight to the point, which works well given its short runtime.
The second couple, however, adds almost nothing. Their storyline felt unnecessary, and I honestly think the drama would have been stronger if it had focused more on developing the main couple’s relationship instead.
Is this a rational or particularly well-written J-drama? Not really. The writing can be pretty “meh.” But despite that, I still found it very enjoyable and genuinely funny.
I also wouldn’t really classify it as a medical drama — the hospital setting feels more like a backdrop for the romance.
For a 10-episode series, it works well as a quick watch. That said, I actually think it could have been even better as a longer drama, with more time to develop the characters and the romance properly.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
A Drama Full of Battles, But No Sparks
I don’t think I’ve ever had such mixed feelings about a drama. It’s definitely not a show I would normally choose if I just had extra time, and honestly, if I had known what I was getting into, I might’ve skipped it. The only reason I even started it was because of Yuxi — if someone else were the ML, I probably never would’ve pressed play.Before watching, I saw so many harsh comments that I expected this drama to be a disaster. Surprisingly, it wasn’t. It wasn’t amazing, but it wasn’t the train wreck people made it out to be. The story itself is decent, and the main couple isn’t bad — I just genuinely felt nothing for them. And it wasn’t only Victoria and Yuxi; I couldn’t connect to any of the couples. Individually, I liked all the characters, but together… the chemistry simply wasn’t there.
What I did enjoy was the friendship dynamic. The group interactions, the sibling bonds — whether it was the Wei family, the Song family, or the Chu family — all those family and brotherhood moments were actually beautiful. That sense of unity and loyalty was my favorite part.
My issue is that the romance dragged on forever without going anywhere. They stretched the “will they/won’t they” to the point where it felt unnecessary. This show easily could’ve been 30 episodes instead of how long it was. There were definitely filler episodes. Oddly enough, the last five episodes were actually the best.
Surprisingly, my favorite couple ended up being the princess and Han Mei — toxic, yes, but they had tension, energy, and something that made me actually feel something.
Would I recommend this? I genuinely don’t know. It’s not bad, but I also think I went in focusing too much on the negative because of all the hate I saw beforehand. Once I actually watched it, I realized it wasn’t nearly as bad as everyone said. The plot has good points, but the writing is far from perfect.
One thing that disappointed me was Yun’s character. His arc lacked depth, and although people said he didn’t have enough screen time, I didn’t feel that — he was present, but he didn’t shine. He had so much potential, and yet the show didn’t give him the growth or focus he deserved.
I genuinely feel that his story should’ve been stronger than hers. His revenge, his ambitions, his backstory — everything was deeper and had more emotional weight. He should’ve been the center, but instead the focus shifted heavily toward her, and it weakened the narrative.
And I hate saying this, but visually and character-wise, the main couple just didn’t match. It wasn’t even the age gap — it was the way they were styled and written. He looked and acted very young and playful throughout the entire drama, while she carried a mature, grounded presence from the beginning. They felt mismatched in energy, tone, and overall vibe.
Could I have lived perfectly fine without watching this drama? Yes.
Fight for Love — but honestly, I’m still fighting to understand where the love is. I didn’t feel romance from anyone. The story carried itself more than the relationships did, and even then, I wasn’t fully convinced by the overall storyline.
As for the war scenes — I usually adore military strategy, but here there was zero logic. The production value was clearly high, but the writing behind the battles made no sense. Beautiful visuals, no strategy.
Still I was entertained nonetheless.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
My Journey to You will never end with you.
How can a show drop from a solid 10 to such a disappointment so fast? I was wondering why this drama wasn’t more widely praised — and then I reached the ending. Honestly, the ending completely ruined it for me.
The way a show ends really shapes how you remember it as a whole. And I’ve never seen such a bad ending in a C-drama. It wasn’t open-ended, it wasn’t sad, it wasn’t happy — it was just nothing. They were definitely planning for a second season — that’s the only explanation. But knowing the Chinese drama industry, why would the director do that? Usually, if a second season is already guaranteed, they can leave a cliffhanger. But if it’s not certain, why make the audience go through all that and then just make us suffer?
It started off so good. I loved it up until the last few minutes — and then they completely ruined it. How can a show screw things up in the last 10 minutes? It’s beyond me. I wanted to talk about all the good things, but everything is overshadowed by the terrible ending. It was so unnecessary.
Up until the last 10 minutes, I absolutely loved the show. It was incredible, but they somehow managed to destroy everything in those final moments. The 2nd FL suddenly gave up her revenge — for no real reason. The ending confrontation was weak and unsatisfying. She was apparently pregnant, which made no sense given the lack of trust and intimacy between them. And she was okay with him stealing back the tablet? None of it added up.
Still, up to episode 23, the show was remarkable. If you watch until the middle of episode 24, I’d actually recommend it. But finishing it to the end? I wouldn’t.
The true heart of this show was Cheng Lei. His performance was breathtaking — I’ve never seen him play a character like this, and he absolutely shined. Honestly, he outshined Zhang Ling He, though that’s partly because Cheng Lei’s character was written with more depth and strength. Zhang Ling He’s role felt weaker, almost incompetent at times — he didn’t really feel like someone deserving of being the sword wielder and Shangjue was the best candidate..
Gong Shang Jue was incredible — smart, hardworking, intense — and Cheng Lei brought him to life perfectly. I loved every scene he was in. His love story was also fascinating, though the ending ruined that too. It would’ve been better if it ended tragically than just… emptily.
Yu Xiao also delivered an amazing performance. I already liked her before, but this role really made me appreciate her versatility. The second lead couple actually had better tension and chemistry than the main leads.
One of my favorite parts was the brotherly relationship between the Jue brothers — so touching and beautifully written. I was scared one of them would die, but thankfully, that didn’t happen. This was my first time watching TJR, and he nailed his character. He was intense, a little psycho, but so captivating to watch.
As for Esther Yu, this is probably my favorite role of hers. I usually find her overly cutesy roles annoying because of her quirky voice, but here she struck the perfect balance. She was amazing. However Yun’s character was so mysterious to the end that you don’t find your self caring about her. She felt more like a supporting character for Ziyu to become the Sword Wielder than her own story. I guess they were planning to discover her story in the next season but yeah we aren’t getting that no more.
The entire cast did a phenomenal job — even the cameos. Joseph Zeng was the cherry on top, and Jin Fan was a total standout too.
Visually, this drama was stunning. The cinematography, costumes, and OSTs were all top-tier — some of the best I’ve seen in a Chinese drama. It had a dark, intriguing tone that kept me hooked. I loved that about it.
That said, the plot was sometimes confusing and hard to follow. Many characters were unreadable — it was difficult to tell who was lying or telling the truth. That constant ambiguity became exhausting after a while. The show doesn’t really focus on the leads but all the cast. I love the fac that gives all the cast to shine as everyone had a story. But it made things hard to follow up at times and the webs kept getting tangled.
Would I recommend it?
Yes — but only up to episode 23. Beyond that, it’s pure frustration. They didn’t even wrap up the Wufeng storyline, which was disappointing. It honestly felt like they should’ve done it as 40 episodes and finished it properly.
Do I regret watching it? No. Because I got to see Cheng Lei’s performance — and that alone made the journey worth it.
I also read somewhere that Yun might’ve known her identity all along, being related to the master’s family, and that she planned to leave from the start. Honestly, I’d rather believe that was the real ending — it would’ve made much more intrigue than what we got.
Despite the disappointing ending, My Journey to You remains a beautiful, memorable drama. It’s worth watching for the performances, visuals, and emotions — just be prepared that the journey ends before it feels complete.
Was this review helpful to you?
Love, War, and Two Generals
ally, I’m scared to start a show that is that I have been anticipating for so long and there has been so much hype about it afraid to disappoint, but this show did not disappoint me. It was such a good drama. It was exactly what I felt like expected it to be the chemistry between that the couple was amazing. I always love a general character, but having 2 generals was amazing the first half of the show before he found out her identity. I love the female leads character personality. She was so strong headed about what she wanted and I loved her fighting scene. I its my first time watching Cheng Lei, and he is an incredible incredible actor his that I love an actor who acts with his eyes the moment he fell in love with her. You could just see it in his eyes and his acting goes amazing. He was he made me fall in love with us about the drama. I love the scenes of the war and the fighting it was so coordinated between the the Leeds and I love that they had each other‘s backs and for the main part I love that there was no misunderstandings and they were able to like tell each other stuff the scene she confesses that I love the moon was one of the best moments however the whole show was great. The base was a great the suspense was there the episodes where they were fights and stuff they was they were so hike, well-made, and packed. I love a lot of all of the characters almost however, the last three episodes were a huge Miss whoever wrote them should be sued because the show it took it like such a dramatic shift the good guy that he had Mr. Chu had the potential to be a good character, but they they screwed that up. I made him evil and unnecessary and also killing Han Ye was the most unnecessary death in history. He wasn’t even the main character. His death wasn’t important. He shouldn’t killed him very wrong and the whole wedding situation being canceled was also unnecessary. They could’ve just ended the show at episode like 33 with a wedding and it would’ve been perfect. Those three episodes were so useless. It lost so much points because of this, but other than that I would definitely recommend it for people who like to watch like an action war kind of show the couple were so worth it amazing chemistry very nice to make a confession scenes and fighting scenesWas this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
A Mystery That Completely Pulled Me In
I came to Mystic Nine after watching Archives: The Nanyang Mystery, and as much as I enjoyed Archives, this one completely blew me away. I’m still very new to the whole Tomb Raiders universe, but this drama made me so much more intrigued by it. I expected something good because of the cast, but I genuinely did not expect to love it this much.One of the biggest things that stood out to me was how focused the story was. Maybe because I kept comparing it to Archives, I really appreciated that Mystic Nine centered almost entirely around one main mystery instead of constantly jumping between different storylines. For this kind of drama, 30 episodes felt like the perfect length. It gave the story enough time to build the mystery and world without dragging too much, and for the most part, the pacing kept me completely engaged.
The mystery itself was probably my favorite part. This is definitely a drama where you need to actually pay attention while watching. I wouldn’t say it’s difficult to understand, but you do need your brain to be present. You have to think, analyze things, and remember details because the show keeps making you question what is real, what is happening, and why. The payoff was absolutely worth it because by the end, everything came together in a way that made total sense.
And that final plot twist? I did NOT see it coming.
The whole temple storyline was easily the highlight of the drama for me. The reveal that there were never actually thousands of towers, that it was all the same place being repeated again and again while everyone kept forgetting, was so well done. I genuinely never considered that possibility, but the moment it was revealed, everything suddenly clicked. It wasn’t a twist added just for shock value. It actually explained what had been happening all along, which made it even more satisfying. I also loved the final idea that what seemed like magic was never really magic at all, but an illusion. That gave the whole mystery such a satisfying finish.
I also wouldn’t really call the drama scary. It has creepy moments, strange monsters, gruesome mutations, and some unsettling imagery, but nothing that felt too heavy or genuinely frightening. For me, the main appeal was the sense of mystery and adventure rather than horror.
Another huge reason this drama worked so well was the casting. William Chan was honestly perfect as the Master of the Nine Clans. He had exactly the kind of serious, commanding, mysterious aura the role needed, and I especially loved the rare moments where he would break out of that stiff personality and smile or show a softer side. He fit the role so naturally that I honestly can’t imagine anyone else playing him. I haven’t watched the older Mystic Nine, but he made me curious enough to consider it.
I’ll admit that I originally started the drama because of Joseph Zeng, and he absolutely delivered. I loved his character, his wit, and especially his development throughout the story. He added so much energy to the drama, and his chemistry with William Chan was one of the best parts of the show. Their dynamic developed so well, going from hostility and mistrust to genuine understanding and friendship. I especially liked how Lao Gu eventually came to understand the Master’s personality and the reasons behind his actions.
The supporting cast also added a lot. 8th Master was such a fun character and brought some much-needed humor into the story, while the Master’s guards were also great. In general, the chemistry between the characters was one of the drama’s strongest qualities. Everyone bounced off each other so naturally, and those relationships made the show even more entertaining.
Episode 29 was a complete roller coaster. Even while watching it, I had a feeling there was no way the drama would actually end like that, and I liked how the story ultimately used its own mystery to resolve everything. The ending was still bittersweet, though, because just when the different clans had finally become allies and everyone had reached a better understanding, they had to separate again.
The drama wasn’t perfect. The auction storyline was definitely too long for me. It did not need five episodes and honestly could have been wrapped up much faster. There were also a few slower moments here and there, but none of that ruined the overall experience for me.
Visually, the drama was also really strong. The cinematography, costumes, historical setting, world-building, monsters, and overall atmosphere were all very well done. The OST was nice too, and the production helped make the world feel immersive.
Overall, Mystic Nine was just incredibly entertaining. It doesn’t feel like a drama that relies only on romance or emotional attachment to keep you watching. Its biggest strength is how well it pulls you into its mystery, world, characters, and atmosphere. It keeps you curious, gives you plenty to think about, and then rewards you with an ending that actually ties everything together.
I genuinely feel like I could watch ten seasons of this cast and these characters. The chemistry, the mystery, the writing, and the world completely worked for me.
Definitely one of my favorite dramas of the year, and one I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys fantasy, mystery, adventure, and a little bit of horror.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
A Darker Love Story Than I Expected
I genuinely had no idea what I was getting into with Love for You. I knew it was darker, but I definitely wasn’t expecting a full-on melodramatic thriller. I thought I was getting two people falling in love during a very toxic period of their lives, but it ended up being so much deeper than that, with fraud, revenge, family trauma, sacrifice, and a surprisingly solid plot. Honestly, I think this is such an underrated drama—but it’s definitely not for everyone.First of all, this is easily my favorite Song Weilong performance. I’ve watched him in so many dramas, and this is the most natural and impressive I’ve ever seen him. For the first time, I never had those moments where I could feel him acting; he completely became the character. I also realized that he suits darker, tougher, slightly bad-boy melodramatic characters SO much more than the typical CEO role. Those sad, emotionally heavy scenes are made for him. His acting genuinely blew me away and was probably one of the biggest highlights of the entire drama for me. My only wish is that they had pushed his character even further into the darkness. I would’ve loved to see more of his psychological struggles, depression, and the effects of his past. That would’ve been far more interesting to me than some of the storylines we actually got.
And Zhang Jingyi—OH MY GOD, she is GORGEOUS. Once she became an adult, I genuinely could not take my eyes off her. Her acting was also beautiful. I know her character probably pissed a lot of people off, and maybe with another actress she would’ve annoyed me too, but it’s Jingyi, so she can do whatever she wants 😭. I actually liked how determined and head-on she was. She knew what she wanted and went after it instead of waiting around for someone else. She reminded me so much of her character in Lighter & Princess, which I loved, and honestly both leads gave me little Lighter & Princess vibes with their characters.
And THE CHEMISTRY. Easily one of the show’s strongest points. I did not expect them to work this well together, but visually, acting-wise, chemistry-wise—they were so well suited. Their chemistry was off the charts without the drama needing to constantly throw romantic scenes at us. Their relationship is built much more around being each other’s support system than conventional romance, and I actually loved that. It’s less “I love you, you love me” and more about what they’re willing to do for each other. Though I wish we saw more of them together, cause they were on fire together.
Especially him. I feel like the entire show is basically built around him sacrificing himself for her. Almost everything he ever does is ultimately about taking care of her. Even when he goes to the darker side and joins Ben, part of it is because he wants money for her tuition. Again and again, he puts her before himself, and I loved how his love was expressed through his actions and sacrifices. That being said, these two REALLY needed to learn how to communicate 😭.
I obviously wasn’t a fan of the sibling aspect, especially because the first part leans much more heavily into that dynamic. But I think the drama handled the transition better than I expected. Eventually, I stopped really feeling like they were brother and sister and saw it more as two people who had spent their lives supporting and protecting each other. The latter half definitely worked much better for me in that regard.
Plot-wise, I was genuinely surprised by how much was going on. I expected more of a “life happens” kind of story, but suddenly we’re dealing with fraud, revenge, schemes, auditing, etc. 😭 The revenge plot was actually interesting, and I was rarely bored—although the second they started talking about auditing, they lost me. This isn’t really a drama you watch purely for cute romance or something chill. It’s for people who enjoy darker melodrama, complicated relationships, revenge, and a story with more depth.
My biggest problem is that it was simply too long. This could’ve easily been around 28 episodes and been much tighter. The episodes surrounding the mother’s return were by far the weakest for me. I was bored, and honestly, I didn’t think she deserved the justice/redemption she got after everything she did to her daughter. I especially didn’t like that she was forgiven. I would’ve happily traded that entire storyline for a deeper exploration of Song Weilong’s character and his psychological struggles. Once the drama moved past that and returned to the revenge plot, though, it picked up again.
The writing also wasn’t always as polished as it could’ve been. There were quite a few threads and ideas introduced where I kept thinking, Why did you put this here if you’re never going to explain or explore it? The drama opens several doors and then just leaves them there. Even the actual revenge payoff became unnecessarily confusing and, in my opinion, wasn’t written particularly well. And the police were basically background support 😭. If they had actually done their jobs properly, this drama would’ve ended much earlier.
One character I absolutely loved, though, was Uncle Zhu. His storyline with Wenwen genuinely broke my heart. It felt like almost everyone eventually got some form of happy ending except him. I also loved his relationship with Chen and Miao Jing. Because neither of them really grew up with supportive parents, he became this parental figure in their lives, along with Wenwen, and there was something so beautiful and heartbreaking about that.
I also have to give the drama credit for its final episode. They actually gave the story room to breathe and wrapped everything up calmly instead of suddenly speed-running the ending, which I really appreciated. It felt like they gave the drama the ending it deserved.
Overall, there’s a lot to love here: great characters, no unnecessary love triangle, insane chemistry, beautiful cinematography and costumes, amazing OSTs—especially the songs by the actors—and some of the best acting I’ve seen from these leads. It’s darker and much more melodramatic than I expected, but it was still very entertaining and never felt particularly difficult to watch.
I would definitely recommend Love for You, but to the right audience. If you’re coming purely for a fluffy romance or rom-com, this is probably not it. The romance is absolutely there, but it’s expressed more through sacrifice, protection, support, and simply being there for each other. At its core, this feels just as much like an action-thriller/revenge melodrama as it does a romance.
It has its flaws, it could’ve been shorter and tighter, and some storylines desperately needed more development—but overall, this was a surprisingly solid, emotional, and underrated drama that gave me something completely different from what I expected.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Where Every Character Matters
If I had watched A Journey to Love back in 2024 when it first aired, it probably would have been my favorite drama of the year. It completely blew me away. This is one of those rare shows that reminds you just how incredible television can be when every element comes together. From the writing and directing to the acting, cinematography, action, and character work, it felt like an absolute masterpiece.The writing is easily one of the strongest aspects of the drama. Everything feels purposeful, the story always makes sense, and the pacing is exceptional. It never drags or wastes time. I especially appreciated how the writers handled slower moments. Instead of dedicating entire episodes to events that the audience didn’t care about, they condensed them into quick montages while still giving us everything we needed. It kept the story constantly moving without ever feeling rushed.
What truly makes this drama special, however, is that despite being called A Journey to Love, the romance is not what defines it. At its heart, this is a story about people. It is about a family that slowly forms through loyalty, sacrifice, trust, and shared hardship.
This isn’t a drama built around two main leads while everyone else simply exists around them. It is a true ensemble cast, and I honestly think it is one of the best examples of an ensemble drama I have ever watched. Every member of the squad feels equally important, every supporting character has their own purpose, and every relationship is given room to breathe. It is genuinely impressive how the writers managed to make me love every single character.
Because of that, every death hurts. The show doesn’t simply tell you these people are important—it makes you believe it. By the end, losing any one of them feels personal, and the emotional impact stays with you long after the final episode.
The directing deserves just as much praise. The cinematography is beautiful, the action choreography is phenomenal, and the fight scenes are among the best I have seen in a historical C-drama. The court intrigue also never becomes boring. Political storylines can often slow a drama down, but here they remain engaging because everything moves at exactly the right pace.
Liu Yuning once again proved why he is one of my favorite actors. He never misses. His performances always leave a mark on me, and Ning Yuanzhou is no exception. His emotional scenes were devastating because his squad wasn’t simply a group of subordinates—they were his brothers, his family, and in Yuan Lu’s case, almost like a son. Watching him lose everyone he loved completely broke my heart. At the same time, he was such a beautifully written leader. Everyone respected him not because of his authority, but because of the kind, righteous, caring man he was. I also loved every one of his fight scenes, and his styling throughout the drama was fantastic.
Liu Shishi was equally outstanding. She completely embodied Ren Ruyi. She never felt like an actress trying to play an assassin—she simply was Ren Ruyi. I loved that she was written as a genuinely capable female lead who never needed to be constantly rescued. Even when she faced impossible situations, the drama respected her abilities instead of undermining them. Her journey from someone consumed by revenge into someone who slowly found healing and a new purpose was beautifully written.
Although I personally did not feel the chemistry that many viewers praised, I still loved the relationship between Ning Yuanzhou and Ren Ruyi. Their romance wasn’t built on misunderstandings or dramatic jealousy. It was built on trust, respect, protection, and two broken people understanding each other in a way no one else could. They never asked one another to abandon their past or give up their goals. They simply stood beside each other. It was mature, refreshing, and wonderfully written. I also appreciated that despite giving the supporting cast so much attention, the writers still gave the main couple plenty of meaningful moments together.
If I had to choose my favorite member of the squad, it would probably be Yu Shisan. He was the heart of the group. He brought humor into the darkest moments with his flirting, dancing, and obsession with beauty, but underneath all of that was someone fiercely loyal who cared deeply for everyone, especially Ning Yuanzhou. His death broke me the most. I only wish we had received a proper goodbye for him, and I also would have loved to see his romantic storyline explored further instead of leaving him as the self-proclaimed playboy until the end.
Qian Zhao was another favorite. He barely needed words to make an impression. He was quiet, dependable, and always there whenever someone needed him. His storyline became increasingly emotional toward the end, and it added even more depth to a character who initially seemed reserved.
Yuan Lu absolutely shattered my heart. He felt like the son of the entire squad, especially of Ning Yuanzhou and Ren Ruyi. I desperately wanted them to see him one last time before he died because that emotional closure was missing. His relationship with Yang Ying also felt incredibly touching. Personally, I saw them less as lovers and more as two people who deeply understood, supported, and comforted one another.
Sun Lang deserves just as much love. His gentle personality and affection for animals made him impossible not to adore, making his fate equally heartbreaking.
One of the biggest surprises of the drama was Yang Ying. She arguably has the best character development in the entire series. Watching her grow from a frightened, sheltered princess into a confident woman capable of standing before an emperor and declaring she would become his empress was incredibly satisfying. She truly earned every step of her growth.
I also loved Li Tongguang’s character. He was frustrating, complicated, and sometimes impossible to like, yet he remained fascinating because he was written so well. My only criticism is that his obsession with his master lasted far too long. I wanted him to move on and eventually allow himself to love Yang Ying. Even so, his development was excellent, and hearing him finally call Ning Yuanzhou “Brother Ning” completely broke my heart. Both he and Yang Ying experienced some of the strongest growth in the entire drama. I wish we got to see more of them together as a couple towards the end.
What impressed me most was the chemistry between the entire cast. Every relationship felt authentic. Whether it was friendship, brotherhood, mentorship, rivalry, or romance, everyone felt connected. Ren Ruyi gradually becoming part of the squad was one of my favorite aspects of the series because she never remained an outsider or existed solely as the female lead—she genuinely became family. Which is something she never had.
The ending is heartbreaking and absolutely not for the faint-hearted. Personally, I believe they all died. Many viewers interpret the ending differently because we never clearly see Ning Yuanzhou, Ren Ruyi, or Yu Shisan after their final battle, but I viewed Chu Yue’s final vision as symbolic. To me, they were reunited in the afterlife, finally together again after sacrificing everything for one another.
As devastating as that ending is, I strangely don’t hate it. In some ways, I think it would have been even crueler if only one or two of them had died while the others were forced to spend the rest of their lives grieving. They were always meant to stay together, and knowing they ultimately shared the same fate made the ending slightly easier to accept.  I only wish that the main leads were able to say goodbye to the side characters more than just like a letter or a passing thought. I wanted an actual scene of them like visiting their graves at least like it felt like a proper goodbye.
My only real complaint is that I wish the final three deaths had received proper farewell scenes. I wanted to mourn them alongside the remaining characters. That emotional closure felt missing.
Apart from a few moments where the travel logistics between cities required a little suspension of disbelief, I honestly have almost no complaints. The pacing is excellent, the writing is exceptional, every character receives meaningful development, the action is spectacular, and the emotional payoff is unforgettable.
A Journey to Love is one of the best-written historical C-dramas I have ever watched. It is so much more than a romance. It is a story about found family, brotherhood, loyalty, sacrifice, healing, trust, and choosing to stand beside the people you love until the very end.
It is a masterpiece, and I cannot recommend it enough. Just be prepared—this drama will absolutely break your heart.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Beautiful, Addictive, and Emotionally Complex, but Weaker Toward the End
While I was watching The First Jasmine, I was completely immersed. It was the kind of drama that constantly made me curious about what would happen next, and I became so attached to its world and characters that I felt strangely empty after finishing it. Perhaps binge-watching intensified that feeling, but I also think the final few episodes were genuinely underwhelming compared with everything that came before them.For me, the first thirty episodes were the strongest part of the drama. I loved Ye Li and Xi Yao’s marriage era, the political intrigue, the revenge storyline, and the way Ye Li moved through the story while secretly pursuing her plans. Their divorce arc genuinely broke my heart, but it was also incredibly well executed. The moment Xi Yao discovered how ill she was, along with the eventual revelation of what had happened on the mountain, was one of the emotional peaks of the entire drama. Everything leading up to that point felt intense, layered, and deeply engaging.
Ye Li is easily one of the most fascinating female characters I have encountered in a historical drama. She is deeply broken, psychologically complicated, and filled with layers that are gradually uncovered throughout the story. Her trauma, anger, determination, and self-destructive tendencies made her unpredictable and compelling. Bai Lu gave one of her strongest performances here. She portrayed Ye Li’s pain and emotional instability with so much depth that I could not look away. Her acting was immaculate, particularly during the heavier and more heartbreaking moments.
However, Ye Li gradually seemed to lose some of her spark toward the end. The revengeful, determined energy that made her so intriguing began to fade, and even though the final confrontation should have been her defining moment, it did not carry the emotional impact I expected. After such a memorable portrayal of her trauma, the conclusion to her revenge felt strangely muted. The revenge plot did not provide enough closure or transformation, especially considering how much of the drama had been built around it.
I also loved Xi Yao, particularly during the first half of the drama. It was refreshing to see Cheng Lei play a vulnerable and physically broken character rather than the powerful, commanding roles I usually associate him with. His performance while Xi Yao was confined to the wheelchair was incredible, and his quiet pain, loyalty, and emotional restraint were beautifully portrayed. He also looked amazing with the grey hair; that entire look was such a refreshing change for him.
Unfortunately, Xi Yao became increasingly sidelined as the story progressed. He was no less a victim of what had happened, so I strongly felt that he deserved to be involved in the final confrontation. I understand allowing the heroine to lead the finale of a female-centered revenge story, but completely pushing the male lead aside made the ending feel incomplete. His character had so much emotional depth and potential, yet the drama gradually reduced his importance. Even during the war sequences, we barely saw him fight, which felt like another wasted opportunity, especially because Cheng Lei is so good in action scenes.
The relationship between Ye Li and Xi Yao was essential to the story, even though the drama was never romance-centered. Their love helped both of them heal. Ye Li did not simply recover on her own; through Xi Yao, she found someone who remained beside her, while she also helped him rediscover his will to live. Their connection was therefore more than a romantic subplot—it was part of both characters’ emotional journeys. That is why I was disappointed when the drama gradually moved away not only from their romantic scenes, but from the healing relationship itself.
I actually enjoyed the slow-burn romance for most of the drama. Their love was gentle, warm, supportive, and often unspoken rather than passionate or electric. They sometimes gave me the feeling of an older married couple, and I do not necessarily mean that negatively. Their affection came through in the quiet gestures, particularly from Xi Yao, who carried much of the romantic side of the relationship. Ye Li was written as emotionally closed off and could sometimes feel like a block of wood when it came to expressing affection, so most of the direct romantic gestures came from him.
The problem was not the lack of kissing or intimate scenes. The drama worked perfectly well without them. My issue was the way so many promising moments between the couple were abruptly cut short. Just as a scene began building emotional closeness or chemistry, it would suddenly move elsewhere. The romance constantly felt within reach but never fully explored. The actors did have a warm spark, particularly earlier in the drama, but the script and editing did not allow that chemistry to develop naturally. By the end, it felt as though the connection had faded—not because the relationship itself lacked potential, but because the drama kept taking time away from it.
Their dynamic was also weakened by Ye Li constantly acting behind Xi Yao’s back. They shared the same enemies, goals, and ambitions, yet they continued walking toward those goals separately. Even when Xi Yao understood what she was doing, Ye Li rarely chose to place her trust in him and work openly beside him. I would have preferred to see them combine their strengths and pursue their shared goal together rather than repeatedly taking different roads toward the same destination.
I also think some viewers misunderstood Xi Yao’s decision to leave her. He needed to be hurt and broken by Ye Li before he could truly understand her pain and ultimately help her heal. His actions make more sense when viewed through the emotional complexity of both characters rather than simply as a romantic betrayal. With characters this complicated, criticism and differing interpretations are inevitable, but that complexity is also one of the drama’s greatest strengths.
Beyond the leads, the drama introduced many interesting characters and storylines that never reached their full potential. Han Mingxi seemed as though he would play a more consequential role, and his interactions with Ye Ying had so much entertaining potential. Mo Jingli was perhaps the greatest missed opportunity. He was intelligent, cunning, and morally layered—a man pursuing what he believed was a just cause through questionable methods. Yet the narrative gradually diminished his motivations, intelligence, and overall importance as it approached the finale.
This became the drama’s biggest weakness: it tried to handle too many themes, characters, and conflicts without properly completing all of them. Many characters initially appeared to possess genuine agency and complexity, only to be pushed into familiar tropes or sidelined when the story needed to conclude. The ending closed several plotlines and was technically happy, but it did not feel like a proper emotional goodbye. We barely saw the main couple together, Xi Yao was largely absent, and even Ye Li no longer felt fully present in her own story. After spending so much time with them, I wanted a conclusion that allowed their relationship and individual journeys to breathe.
Visually, however, the drama is absolutely stunning. The costumes are beautifully designed, the cinematography is gorgeous, and the entire production is rich, colorful, and vibrant. The styling, sets, and use of color created a world that was consistently beautiful to look at.
The music deserves even more praise. This drama has one of the best and most memorable soundtracks I have heard. I do not mean only the OST songs, although those are also beautifully done—the background score itself is phenomenal. The music elevates the tension, heartbreak, mystery, and emotional weight of so many scenes. It remained in my mind long after the drama ended, and it is easily one of the strongest aspects of the entire production. Honestly, well done.
Despite my frustrations with the final stretch, The First Jasmine contains so many memorable scenes, complex characters, and excellent performances. It is an unusual mixture of revenge, politics, trauma, healing, and subtle romance. I would not recommend watching it solely for the romance, because the relationship supports the story rather than carrying it. Those expecting a highly passionate or intimacy-heavy romance may be disappointed. However, anyone interested in a compelling storyline, emotionally damaged characters, stellar acting, and a beautifully produced historical drama will find plenty to appreciate.
The ending may not have delivered everything the earlier episodes promised, but the journey was still exciting, emotionally absorbing, and different from the typical romance-focused historical drama. Despite its flaws, I would definitely recommend it.
Was this review helpful to you?
The Mini-Drama That Had No Right Being This Good
I’m genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed My Familiar Stranger. Going in, I had very low expectations because it’s a short drama, and a lot of mini-dramas tend to feel low-budget or rushed. You can often tell when corners have been cut in the production, but that really wasn’t the case here.What surprised me most is that this easily could have worked as a full-length drama. The story has enough potential, the cast is strong enough, and the chemistry is definitely there. Maybe part of the reason it works so well is because it’s so direct and fast-paced. It jumps right into the story, there’s no dragging, and you never really have time to get bored. At around four hours total, it’s an incredibly easy binge-watch.
Does the story always make sense? Not really. But honestly, I didn’t care. It was entertaining enough that I was willing to overlook the logic gaps. It actually reminded me a lot of In Blossom, but in some ways I think this was executed better. Everything moves quickly, the atmosphere is engaging, and the show never loses momentum.
The cast was absolutely spot-on. I do have to mention Cheng Lei because I’m admittedly biased—I love that man. While I think this is probably one of the weaker performances compared to what he’s capable of now, it was still very good. Looking back, you can clearly see how much he has grown as an actor over the years. His recent projects showcase a much more refined performance, but even here he was charismatic and easy to watch.
The female lead also did a solid job. I’ve seen her before, and while nothing about the performance completely blew me away, she delivered what the role needed. What really carried the drama, though, was the chemistry between the leads. I was not expecting it to hit as hard as it did, but they worked incredibly well together. The romantic tension, the steamy moments, and their overall dynamic were some of the strongest parts of the show.
Even the supporting characters were enjoyable. The drama isn’t trying to tell a deeply complex story, nor is it particularly political or heavy. It’s simply an entertaining watch that knows exactly what it wants to be. Unlike many mini-dramas that can feel cheap or disposable, this one actually feels like there was real effort put into it. The production quality is surprisingly decent, the costumes are lovely, and overall everything looks polished.
My biggest complaint is honestly that it’s so short. I kept wishing there were more episodes because the drama had the potential to become something much bigger. With a longer runtime, I think it could have been a genuinely great full-length series.
The ending is probably the one area that didn’t fully land for me. It wasn’t bad, but I do think it could have offered a stronger sense of closure. Still, that wasn’t enough to significantly affect my enjoyment.
Overall, I’d definitely recommend My Familiar Stranger. It’s a quick, entertaining binge with great chemistry, some steamy moments, a solid storyline, and absolutely no filler. If you’re looking for something light, engaging, and easy to finish in a single day, this is a perfect choice. It’s basically four hours of pure dopamine.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
The Warmest Surprise of the Year
I started Dazzling with absolutely zero expectations. In fact, I wasn’t expecting to like it at all. I hadn’t seen many people talking about it, and since it’s from the same writer as Speed and Love (which I personally didn’t love), I went in with very low expectations. Somehow, it completely blew me away.This ended up being one of the biggest surprises of the year for me.
The drama has such a warm, comforting summer atmosphere. The seaside setting instantly reminded me of Welcome to Samdal-ri, but with a much younger and more youthful energy. At its core, it’s a story about friendship, family, community, dreams, and growing up, with romance naturally woven into it rather than dominating the story.
The relationship progression is one of my favorite aspects. It’s not really enemies-to-lovers; it’s more enemies-to-friends-to-lovers. At the beginning, I know a lot of viewers found the female lead bratty, but honestly, I completely understood her reactions. Imagine going from a comfortable city life with your own room, air conditioning, and privacy to suddenly living in a crowded seaside community with shared bathroom and a completely different lifestyle. I’d be struggling too.
What I loved most was how Xing Wu treated her from the very beginning. Even when he teased her or acted annoyed, he was always looking out for her. He constantly took care of her, protected her, and put her needs first. That’s such a huge part of who he is as a character—he takes care of the people he loves, and she was no exception. One line from later in the drama really stuck with me: even when they had almost nothing, they would still offer what little they had to her. That warmth and generosity perfectly captures the spirit of this show.
The drama balances so many elements beautifully: friendship, family, romance, hardship, perseverance, and personal growth. Xing Wu’s journey was especially inspiring. No matter how many times life knocked him down, he always found a way to get back up again.
One thing people should know before watching: this is an incredibly slow burn romance. And when I say slow burn, I mean slow burn. The leads don’t officially get together until very late in the story, and for a long time you could easily interpret their relationship as best friends or even sibling-like. Normally that would frustrate me, but surprisingly, I didn’t mind it here because their bond was so genuine and heartwarming. Their friendship alone was enough to keep me invested.
This was my first time watching GXT, and I absolutely loved her. She fit the role of the spoiled rich girl perfectly. More importantly, her character growth was fantastic. Her bratty attitude doesn’t last forever, and watching her become more humble, empathetic, and connected to the people around her was incredibly satisfying. I also loved that she consistently stood up for herself. She knew what she wanted and wasn’t afraid to pursue it.
As for Xing Wu, he completely stole my heart.
His story is heartbreaking, but what impressed me most was his resilience. This man goes through absolute hell, yet he never lets bitterness consume him. He keeps getting back up, keeps trying to be kind, and keeps giving people second chances. He genuinely has one of the biggest hearts I’ve seen in a drama.
And honestly, this might be my favorite Li Yunrui role so far.
I’m usually used to seeing him in historical dramas, so this was my first modern drama with him, and he felt incredibly natural. He wasn’t the bad boy I expected him to be. Instead, he was basically a walking green flag disguised as a red flag. His smile, his warmth, his quiet devotion—I loved everything about him. Also um the blond hair :)
Most importantly, he got to live his youth because of her.
Before she entered his life, he was surviving rather than living. She pushed him back toward society, encouraged him to dream again, and reminded him that he deserved happiness too. They changed each other’s lives in the best possible way.
The chemistry between the leads felt incredibly natural. Whether they were friends or lovers, every stage of their relationship felt believable. Nothing felt forced. They clicked from the very beginning, and I loved how supportive they were of one another throughout the entire drama. I enjoyed every second of them as the chemistry was amazing!
My biggest issue is Episodes 26–28.
I actually didn’t mind the separation or time jump itself. I understood why it happened and why Xing Wu needed time to grow. However, I think the writers completely wasted those three episodes.
Instead of spending so much time keeping the leads apart, they could have used those episodes to develop their adult relationship. Since the romance is already such a slow burn, it felt frustrating to lose valuable screen time that could have been spent showing them reconnecting, falling in love, and building their relationship.
When they finally do get together, I absolutely loved their scenes. That’s exactly why I wish we had gotten more of them. Their relationship felt a little rushed simply because we spent so much time waiting for it. I would’ve loved a wedding, an epilogue, or just more time with them as a couple.
One thing I really appreciated is that there are no unnecessary love triangles, annoying second leads, or pointless characters. Every character serves a purpose, and even the people who make mistakes remain understandable. I never truly hated anyone because the drama takes the time to show where everyone is coming from.
The friend group was wonderful, the family dynamics were heartwarming, and I loved how the story portrayed life in a close-knit seaside community where everyone looks after each other. By the end, every major character receives a satisfying conclusion, and seeing everyone achieve their dreams felt incredibly rewarding.
The cinematography is also gorgeous. The seaside views, the lavender fields, the sunsets—everything looks beautiful. And of course, having songs from Liu Yuning on the soundtrack is always a bonus. The OST perfectly matches the bright, comforting atmosphere of the show.
Overall, Dazzling is not a fast-paced romance. It’s a calm, comforting, character-driven drama that feels like a warm summer by the sea. It’s wholesome, emotional, funny, inspiring, and full of heart.
I just wish we’d gotten more time with the couple in the final stretch—but despite that, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It’s one of those dramas that simply makes you feel good while watching it.
Was this review helpful to you?
Pure Entertainment Done Right
This show honestly had a bit of everything, and I feel like it delivered exactly what the trailer promised. It’s one of those dramas that mixes comedy, politics, romance, and chaos all together, and somehow it works really well. For me, the biggest strength of the show is how entertaining it is from start to finish.First of all, the pacing is fast. From the very first episode, things just keep moving. There’s always something happening and the story never really slows down. In 32 episodes, I honestly didn’t feel a single dull moment. Everything moves quickly but in a way that still makes sense. Some people who prefer slower storytelling might find it a bit rushed, but personally I loved it. The drama keeps you constantly engaged.
Another thing I loved was how the comedy lasted throughout the entire show. Even during serious or tense scenes, they would sprinkle in small comedic moments that actually worked instead of feeling forced. It lightened the mood without ruining the tension. The balance between comedy, political intrigue, and romance felt just right for the type of show this is.
For the first half of the drama, Cheng Lei’s performance really stood out to me. He perfectly portrayed a man who has been stuck in that world for ten years and is simply exhausted with life. The hopelessness, the frustration, the quiet desperation — he conveyed all of it so well, especially through his eyes. He’s honestly such an amazing eye actor.
What I also really loved about the main couple was their dynamic early on. They weren’t dating for most of the show, but they were already working together and supporting each other from the start. It wasn’t enemies-to-lovers or filled with constant hostility. Yes, he lied to her, but overall their relationship felt like two people becoming companions first. They protected each other, helped each other, and even had small moments of physical closeness like holding hands or hugging before they were even officially romantic. I found that really refreshing.
And I have to mention how he kept feeding her- those scenes were honestly so cute.
Now let’s talk about Cheng Lei. I genuinely think this might be the best role I’ve seen him play so far. The character itself is very complex, shifting between madness, humor, obsession, vulnerability, and genuine affection. Cheng Lei managed to portray all those layers convincingly. Sometimes he felt like a tyrant, sometimes a hopeless man, sometimes surprisingly funny, and sometimes deeply loving. It never felt fake. His acting felt very natural.
Also… his emperor styling? Absolutely perfect. The costumes, the hair, everything suited him so well. Even when his hair was supposed to look messy or unkempt, he still looked incredible. He really carried the aura of an emperor, and I honestly hope we see him in another emperor role someday because it fits him so well.
While Cheng Lei is one of my favorite actors, I have to say Wang Churan completely stole the show for me. She was stunning in this drama. Every time she appeared on screen she felt like a breath of fresh air. Her character was bright, kind, and strong at the same time, and she brought such a light energy to the story.
Her kindness was something I especially loved. Even though she knows many of the characters are technically “2D characters,” she still wants to protect them and care about them. That aspect of her personality made her really lovable.
And whoever was responsible for her styling deserves a raise. Her wardrobe, hair, makeup — everything was flawless. Some of the best costume styling I’ve ever seen in a historical C-drama. She looked absolutely gorgeous in every scene.
Together, Cheng Lei and Wang Churan had great chemistry. They looked like they belonged in the same world — like a true emperor and empress pairing. I also appreciated that their relationship didn’t rely on long misunderstandings. When issues came up, they were resolved quickly. Even though the drama doesn’t focus heavily on romance itself, the story still revolves around their relationship in a very natural way.
Some of my favorite scenes were honestly the simple ones — like them eating hot pot together or just casually interacting. Those moments made the relationship feel very warm and genuine.
Another surprising highlight for me was the scholars’ storyline. I ended up really enjoying their characters and their arc. At first they stood against the emperor, but later they also fought alongside him. That development felt well written and added an interesting layer to the political side of the story.
Speaking of politics, the drama handled it pretty well. There was enough court intrigue and power struggle to keep things interesting, but it never became overly complicated or draggy. For viewers who enjoy historical dramas but don’t want something extremely heavy on politics, this show strikes a really good balance.
The OST was also great. The songs matched the tone of the scenes perfectly and helped elevate the emotional moments.
Overall, I would describe this drama as pure entertainment. It’s not necessarily the kind of show that emotionally destroys you or leaves you unable to move on afterward. Instead, it’s just incredibly fun to watch. It’s engaging, fast-paced, visually beautiful, and full of enjoyable characters.
As for the ending — considering the censorship system, I actually think it’s probably the best ending we could realistically get. Of course I would have loved to see more of them in the modern world, but at least it didn’t feel unfair or tragic.
In the end, How Dare You is simply a really entertaining drama that delivers exactly what it promises: a fun mix of comedy, romance, politics, and chaos.
Was this review helpful to you?
