News
LOVE
High school dramas can be either really good or really bad. This is one of the really good ones.Both characters are easy to identify with and you sympathize with both of them for different reasons. Akk is the prefect president, who carries the weight of the school on his shoulders. While it may not seem like it, he struggles to keep up the "perfect child" persona he's always played. Ayan, the recent transfer, seems to be a rebellious troublemaker that Akk is tasked with keeping in line. However, Ayan's true intentions were never to cause trouble for Akk.
Not sure if you could really call this enemies to lovers, but they do start off as rivals of some sort. Akk and Ayan seem to be polar opposites, but slowly realize they find comfort in each other. This series also deals with issues of internalized homophobia, as well as outward homophobia from peers in school. The "Suppalo curse" storyline is a little unbelievable at times, but the way it is executed and the twists involved make up for anything it lacks.
My one complaint is the dream sequence. Why did they do that to us. Regardless, the tension between Akk and Ayan is perfect, the actors have great chemistry, and the pacing of the relationship is well done. One of my favorite BLs to date.
Was this review helpful to you?
People only like this because it's OffGun and you can't convince me otherwise
The only thing that made this worth watching was OffGun.Khai (Off) is a total player that Third (Gun) has been in love with for years. Unfortunately, Khai isn't into Third at all and refuses to date friends. But when Khai starts acting differently towards Third, he starts to believe that maybe Khai does have feelings for him.
Yeah the whole conflict between Khai and Third is bad. I get the whole idea they were going for, but they dragged this out for way. too. long. I don't know how someone could watch this and not be frustrated with Khai and Third. The classic miscommunication trope is always bad. If they just sat down and had a conversation, this show could have been half the length or shorter.
Was this review helpful to you?
Can't complain!
This show was simple. It was cute, fun, and lighthearted. No conflict lasted long and the relationship was a fairly happy one.I can't complain much about this show. Nhai didn't think he liked men, but when Ai and him become close, he starts to question himself. To see if it's true, he decides to move in with Ai as a trial run.
Nothing too special happened in this one. Gay people got to be happy and that makes me happy. There's no question of whether or not you'll be accepted for being gay when you've got two dads, so homophobia was never really an issue. The plotline between Ai and his mom was a little bit odd, but it didn't make a huge dent in the show anyways. Overall an enjoyable and easy watch.
Was this review helpful to you?
Slowburn but great development!
While I do think the relationship developed a bit slow, it was very cute to watch. Tian, who recently got a heart transplant, follows in the footsteps of the heart's former owner and become a volunteer teacher in a small village. There, he meets Phupha, the chief of the forest protection service. Tian learns that his heart donor was in love with Phupha, and realizes that he may be falling for him too.I loved seeing Tian's growth as a character. From a rich kid with no cares in the world, ready to gamble away all his parents money, to an independent adult who decides that he should use his time to be around people that he cares about and help others. Seeing his relationship with Phupha develop was very satisfying and enjoyable to watch. Though there are moments of heartbreak and conflict, the dynamic between these characters is wonderful to watch unfold.
It did feel like a lot of the show was spent waiting for Tian and Phupha to finally be together. If you don't like a slow burn romance, this one is not for you. Personally, I enjoyed watching each character grow and change after meeting the other, and seeing how this change finally led them to be together was very satisfying.
Was this review helpful to you?
Perfectly done!
I don't watch a lot of Korean BLs since they tend to be so short, but after all the hype over Semantic Error, I had to check it out. I gotta say, it lived up to expectations.Sangwoo is planning on making a video game and he's got all the skills to code it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the graphic design talent to make it happen. He decides to work with Jaeyoung, a talented artist, to get this game developed. Sangwoo is annoyed by Jaeyoung to no end and tries to fire him, but Jaeyoung is persistent in his pursuit of Sangwoo, and not just because he wants to make a video game with him.
I loved both of these characters. They're both so different and so perfectly portrayed by the actors. The whole plot is done so well and I don't think there's anything I could comment on to change besides the fact that I wish the series was longer. Even though it was so short, they managed to pack in character development that was perfectly placed within the storyline. Overall a fantastic watch with a lovely relationship.
Was this review helpful to you?
A cute and fun watch!
GMM finally lets gay people be happy? My School President was way better than I first expected it to be based on the plot synopsis. Tinn, the new school president (Gemini) who has been in love with Gun, the "rebel" (who isn't really a rebel) from the music club (Fourth) for years finally gets a chance to pursue him now that he's the president and in charge of all the school's clubs. Unfortunately, even once Gun likes Tinn back, it's revealed that one of the rules of the club is that the members can't date until after the big music competition, Hot Wave.It's fun, it's cute, and there's way too much singing. Luckily, the songs are recorded and not the typical playing guitar and singing in a different key that BLs love to do for some reason. The relationship development was unfortunately slow, but it was still cute and fun to watch. While the vast majority of the show is light-hearted, the more intense moments help with the pacing of it and keep the characters real.
I will be watching anything else with GeminiFourth in it.
Was this review helpful to you?
Oh the bodyguard trope....
Am I gonna love a bodyguard plot? Of course. Every time.I thought this one did a good job of building the relationship before the romance even started. The cinematography reminded me a bit of ITSAY, with beautiful beach shots throughout the show. Pond and Phuwin do a fantastic job as Palm and Nueng, and their chemistry is great.
Biggest complaint with this show is the frustration you feel as a viewer from the back and forth of "you're better off without me!" between the two of them. Luckily, it was never too drawn out, but it was still a bit overdone. The way they wove the legend into the show was really well done, and I loved that they kept that until the end. I was expecting this one to be way sadder than it was, and I'm glad it wasn't! It was a great balance between conflict, tragedy, and relief/happiness that it made each episode worth waiting for.
Was this review helpful to you?
WAY better executed than I thought it would be!
Did not think I was gonna like this one honestly. I wasn't hopeful in the ability of a BL to pull off a universe travel sci-fi theme but man they kinda nailed this one.I was super happy that there wasn't a bunch of back and forth between the universes. When Puen (Jimmy) and Talay (Sea) wake up in the bodies of people in a different universe, they have to find a way back to their own. I was so worried that we were going to have to watch their old selves as well, but the show only focused on Puen and Talay and their journey home.
Very well done with the right amount of sci-fi elements that didn't take away from the story. No crazy world building that didn't make sense. Overall a fun and pleasant watch without much heartbreak.
Was this review helpful to you?
Appreciate it for the history....
Genuinely, the only reason I watched SOTUS was because it's GMM's first series with a leading gay couple. I felt like with all the GMM series I watch, I needed to go back to the beginning. So while I understand how important this series was when it came out in 2016, that doesn't mean that it's still good in 2025.This show focuses much more around the ideas of SOTUS - the hierarchical values of the engineering school - than it does the romance. And frankly, the romance kinda frustrated me the whole show. Not to mention, this was DEFINITELY not an anti-hazing show. While there were moments where I felt like it was leaning that way, it definitely did not end with that message! In fact, parts of it felt....pro-hazing??? Weird take, but even getting past that, I don't love the whole "falling in love with someone who bullied you" trope. While Arthit isn't necessarily a direct bully of Kong, he definitely still bullies him along with the other first years.
Like I said, I'm sure if you watched this in 2016, it was great. If you're considering watching this in 2025.......I wouldn't. Unless you really like KristSingto, or you're curious about GMM's earlier work (and how much they've improved), I wouldn't watch this one.
Was this review helpful to you?
Heartbreaking and Heartwarming
WOW! This show was a MASTERPIECE. I already had a feeling it was going to be good between the cast and the director, but this is one of the most moving BLs I have ever seen. I felt like every episode made me full the full range of emotions, and they managed to pack it all into an extremely short show. Not to mention, the artistry in the directing was BEAUTIFUL! The way the shots would linger, the tension in the shadows, and the love in the lighting....all of it was genius. The religious imagery was beautiful, and the small details of religion brought into different scenes really made this show feel complete. It's hard to bring religion into a queer show, especially to do it in a way that doesn't feel like it's ridiculing the religion or pitting religion and queerness against each other, but this show manages to do just that.Tanrak (Fourth) has been raised in the Catholic church, and ever since his parents died, he has been on the path to becoming a priest himself. When Barth (Gemini) transfers to the boarding school, Tanrak is tasked with looking after him; he didn't expect Barth to be a troublemaker who doesn't see the purpose in believing in God. While Tanrak tries to help Barth follow the straight and narrow path, Barth tries to get Tanrak to see things from a new perspective. As feelings start to develop between them, Tanrak is torn between his love of God and his love of Barth, believing them to be mutually exclusive.
The main conflict in this show not being between Barth/Tanrak and the church itself, but being between Tanrak and himself was truly incredible. I feel like oftentimes we see religious parents citing religion for the reason to not accept their queer children, which still exists in this show of course, but I really enjoyed this internal struggling the most. You could really sympathize with both Tanrak and Barth and their reasons for believing or not believing in the things they do. These internal conflicts only grow stronger as we learn more about the characters' pasts, and I am super impressed with the amount of character development we see in such a short series. I of course wanted this show to be longer, but not because it felt unfinished or underdeveloped - I just loved these characters and thought the show was beautiful. And I have to say - Fourth's acting was CAPTIVATING! So much of this story is not told through words but through the emotions portrayed by Tanrak. The struggles he goes through are not things that he talks about, but rather things that show up in his actions and in his eyes. I cannot believe how much storytelling was done simply by a camera pointed at Fourth as he stares into it and WOW it was incredible to watch. Even as someone who is not religious, I found the messaging of this story to be done very thoughtfully, and it definitely has something that can resonate with most people. Overall, this show is one of the best things GMM has put out in a long time, and I think it's worth a watch from everyone.
Was this review helpful to you?
Simple, but cute
My Love Mix Up was super cute, light, and fun. Gemini and Fourth did a great job in these roles, and the side couple helped to round it out very well. No conflict was drawn out too long either. My only complaint is that it didn't feel like anything new, especially for Gemini and Fourth.It's said that if you write your crush's name on an eraser, the more you use it, the closer you'll get to them. Atom (Fourth) has a crush on Mudmee (Pahn), a girl in his class, but when he asks to borrow her eraser, he sees Kongthap's (Gemini) name written on it. As he's using the eraser, he ends up dropping it and Kongthap picks it up - leading him to believe that Atom has a crush on him. To prevent his friend's feelings from being exposed, Atom has to come up with another way to tell Kongthap that he doesn't like him, but the more time he spends with him the more he realizes he might like him after all.
This show was a very cute and simple high school romance. If you're a fan of Gemini and Fourth, you'd definitely like it. Mudmee and Half (Chokun) were also super cute and fun to watch! I do wish that Gemini and Fourth would branch out and play different types of roles though, as this show felt very similar to My School President (though less singing), especially in terms of the main characters. Overall though it was very cute and fun to watch.
Was this review helpful to you?
World's Most Incompetent Cops
Going into this, I was super excited for the murder/crime aspect of this show, especially as someone who really loves crime dramas. If you're going into this for that like I was, SKIP IT! This show is a romance that happens to have a crime happening in the background. The cops can't solve a case for shit, and spend all their time flirting instead.Jade (Joong) is the cop in charge of a new murder case when a new inspector Kamin (Dunk) arrives to help. The two of them investigate the murder of a college girl and the subsequent murders of the other students in her friend group. As murders continue to happen, Jade's brother Jay is also put at risk, as are the cops themselves. Even though the cops don't get along at first, they grow closer as they work on the case - and Jade's immediate attraction to Kamin is obvious to everyone.
I have never watched a crime show with more incompetent cops. These guys did not solve ANYTHING!! Even up to the very end (no spoilers here) they basically didn't do anything themselves. They quite literally just spent their entire time flirting with each other. The romance fully took away from the actual plot of the show. If you don't care about the crime and just want to see Joong and Dunk flirt, go ahead and watch it. If you care about the crime aspect at all, there are much better crime dramas....
Was this review helpful to you?
Coming of Age, Back in Time
Twinkling Watermelon was a show that I knew I should have watched long ago, and now that I finally have, I understand why it has one of the highest ratings on here! This show was wonderful, with slow but meaningful pacing and well-developed characters that are all so easy to empathize with. If you haven't seen this one, you need to!Ha Eun Gyeol (Ryeo Un) is a child of two deaf parents with an older brother who is also deaf. He's lived as the family translator and interpreter for his entire life, rarely doing anything for himself. When he decides to join a band, his father can't seem to understand why. One night, Eun Gyeol is transported back in time to when his father was 18 and could still hear. Determined to prevent the accident that caused his father's hearing loss, as well as make sure his parents get together, Eun Gyeol begins his new life in 1995.
This show was so beautifully done. There were some parts that I felt like were overly drawn out or slow, but for the most part I thought the pacing allowed the viewers to really get to know the characters, their lives, and their backstories. I do think that the ending could have concluded the show a bit better since it felt like a lot was left unsaid, but I still had a great time watching. It's a very emotional drama, and I loved the coming of age style story. If you haven't seen this iconic show yet, do it now!
Was this review helpful to you?
Slow Start -> EXCELLENT Finish
Love upon a time is a show that started off slow and somewhat predictable, but slowly turned into a show that was unique and exquisitely done. I was really excited to see Net and JJ in main roles for a series, and they absolutely delivered on these roles! I am partial to soul mate/reincarnation tropes, so if that's not something you're into, this probably isn't for you - but if you're into it at all, this one is DEFINITELY worth watching! Just get through the slow start and it becomes a masterpiece.Nakun (JJ) has been having the worst luck ever, right as he turns 20. Thinking it can't get any worse, he has a few too many drinks and goes and watches the stars fall - only to end up transported back in time 400 years. There, Lord Phop (Net) informs him that he, now known as Klao, has been missing for awhile, and Phop is glad he has returned. Nakun now has to try to play the role of Klao, figure out why he got transported there, and how he can get back, all while falling in love with Phop.
The first few episodes were a little too silly, and had a few too many stereotypical/repetitive elements of "oh I'm not really back in time, I must be dreaming!" type plotpoints. However, as the actual plot of the show picked up, this show began to wow me. I don't know what has been happening with Mandee/Domundi recently but WOW they are killing it! I loved the attention to detail in this show, from the costumes to the language (and the slow assimilation of Nakun into the past dialect was wonderful). I think that as long as you're willing to watch the first few stereotypical sent back in time episodes, you are in for a real treat with this one! The amount of emotion these actors delivered was fantastic to watch, and NettJJ killed these roles. Not to mention, Latte and Kim as Jom and Kaew was such a nice addition! I loved all of the characters in this and cannot recommend it enough, especially if you like period pieces.
Was this review helpful to you?
Selfish Desires
This is EXACTLY the kind of show I needed from OffGun. Dramatic, sexy, thrilling, and MESSY! Throughout the entire show I was upset with both of their characters, as well as Dew's, and that's what made this show so fun. Truly, this is a story of three people motivated almost entirely by their own selfish desires, and the conflicts that they end up in because of it.Jira (Gun) is a struggling artist, currently unemployed and unwilling to take jobs that involve AI because of his moral aversion to generated art. Even art isn't motivating him anymore, so his friend suggests he head to Burn Out Bar to meet other people in similar situations. There he meets Pheem (Dew) and the two hit it off - Jira listens to Pheem's stories of his overbearing boss, and Pheem is happy to have someone to listen and flirt with. Soon, Jira is offered a job working for Koh (Off), but the details are a bit murky. Eventually, Jira learns that Koh is one of the biggest names in tech right now, with an AI model in development that will blow the others away - but since Koh hates dealing with people, he hires Jira as his stand-in for in person events. As much as Jira hates AI, he loves the rush of inspiration he gets around Koh, and finally his love of painting is back and sexier than ever. Jira is torn between his feelings for Pheem and Koh, and the two men both struggle for Jira's attention, but it's unclear whether they're fighting for him because they love him, or because they want something from him.
I loved the way that this love triangle played out. Yes, one of the downsides of watching a GMM love triangle is that you always know who they plan on having together at the end, but the way the relationships developed over the course of the show as so fun. Koh is motivated by his desire to use Jira for his own gain; Pheem by his need to win Jira's attention; and Jira by his sexual fantasies of Koh and entertainment from Pheem. All of these characters seem to disregard the other characters' feelings for their own gain, and boy does that make this fun to watch!! And even as an OffGun fan, I absolutely cannot deny the chemistry between Dew and Gun - frankly, the show is worth watching just for that! Not to mention, the directing/cinematography of this show is GORGEOUS! I'm not gonna lie, I feel like it's rare that I say that about GMM shows nowadays, but WOW this show blew me away with how beautiful it was. My biggest complaints about the show are just that it could have used a little more time on the final conflict, since the ending felt a bit rushed, and I wish they committed more to the messaging around the harm of AI since it was a central theme of the show. Still, this show was VERY good and definitely worth watching if you're into messy and dramatic plots with very flawed characters.
Was this review helpful to you?
