Editorials
This review may contain spoilers
Fun RomCom
Cliches done right! Rich, cold guy/poor, warm girl, love triangles (at least five?), misunderstandings, amnesia, comas (both leads!), falling into a kiss, obligatory fan service male torso shower scene, etc. It was entertaining to watch a gentle satire of Asian dramas.The editor of romance novels found herself inside one of her novels, and her knowledge of their inner workings helped her leverage out of the second female role into the lead female's place to capture the heart of the cold CEO.
The romance was sweet once things were straightened out from misunderstandings. This is only my second drama from Taiwan, and I'm going to have to check out more, as I'm impressed! I realize I'm looking at a tiny data point, but if other Taiwanese dramas are done this well, they've made me a fan. The two dramas I've watched have known how to make a happy ending. I was given that dopamine hit that Korean dramas often fail to produce in the last episode (they are killer up to that point, but I've often been bitterly disappointed by the ending).
I've awarded an extra half star to the ML for his quizzical looks as he read FL's romance novels. I found his bewilderment amusing. "Cheetah, again?"
Was this review helpful to you?
Noble Idiocy Practiced as a Fine Art
The pointless misunderstandings went on far too long, but I liked the leads and the supporting cast. There were no villains, and once the ML and FL learned to communicate (they broke the fourth wall and spoke to the viewer more than with each other!), there was resolution. FL was cute, but she never varied her orange/blue manicure for a year. Things that make one go, "hmm."Was this review helpful to you?
If You're Going to Bubble Wrap Your Daughter, Make it into a Princess Dress
I expected this to be a silly piece of fluff, and the addlebrained expressions of the FL in the beginning seemed to confirm this (seriously great performance by the lead actress; we have a tendency to admire dramatic performances but rarely realize the talent needed to play a comedic role). However, as the drama went on, I was treated to a slice of life with flawed humans who struggled and learned to overcome through the help of family. FL's development from an overprotected, coddled child to a competent adult was satisfying. Much more than fluff.I loved the bubble wrap princess dress at the beginning of each episode!
Was this review helpful to you?
A Calm Sea and Beautiful Days with You
1 people found this review helpful
Sweet Slow Burn
A young woman entered a marriage arranged by her parents with a man she'd never met. He was asea for their wedding ceremony; a photograph took his place. The drama detailed their slow adaptation to one another and the deep connection that gradually developed.This was a very sweet story about two people with tall walls who overthink internally. There were no villains except for that treacherous inner voice many of us have that comes to rob our peace.
The romance between the second leads was just as compelling, if not more. I didn't begrudge their time onscreen as I often do with secondary romances.
MDL doesn't have this listed under the "Comedy" genre. The over-reactions may seem out of place if the viewer isn't expecting a romcom, but this is firmly in that category.
Was this review helpful to you?
Potential Squandered with the Worst Tropes
The drama contained much of what I despise: stupid misunderstandings that lasted way too long; a "strong" woman, which meant she can't cook or do domestic things, but she could be rude, mean, and inconsiderate (I don't find those something a true "strong" person needs to do, and everyone should be able to cook a bit); noble idiocy that led to a break-up; cheap grace (forgave someone who repeatedly tried to destroy people); and a time skip.The actors were enjoyable. I like strong, assertive women such as I thought the FL was going to be. It was a nice change from submissive FLs. However, she was routinely mean to the ML for no reason and didn't have the decency to text when standing him up for an important date. Her constant anger and nasty attitude toward the ML was exhausting. I don't know why anyone would be attracted to that. She did have a killer wardrobe, though. Great clothing throughout.
The premise could have worked. The actors were great. The script needed to be revised and cut down considerably. Removing some cringe and adding intelligence would have been a good start. For example, when our leads were in a library and the power went out, instead of stumbling over things in the dark, how about using sense and whipping out both cell phones, which both professionals carried, and light a way out? Amazingly, instead, the ML picked up the FL and carried her to safety. Holding her must have given him night vision he didn't have previously.
I should have rated 7.5 stars, but I deducted a half star for irritation purposes.
Was this review helpful to you?
Being a Genius Doesn't Bring Happiness
The Kidnapping Day showcased many of the reasons I find K-dramas appealing: an intriguing story, warm human elements, and emotional impact. The suspense was balanced with surprisingly comedic moments (I was giddy with amusement during the hamburger eating scene). Best of all was the growing relationship between the kidnapper and his "victim." The child actress did an amazing job.As much as I enjoyed the drama, there were plot holes and unanswered questions. Evil doesn't stop just because circumstances change. Those holes left ample opportunity for a continuation of the story. With Ro Hee's intelligence, would she be tempted to continue her parents' plans? Or could she look for vengeance? I'd love to see more of Ro Hee.
Note: It's important to watch the post-credit scene of the last episode. Holy open ending!
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Friendships Save Lives
It seems I've watched mostly light, quirky Japanese dramas, so I was unprepared for the beauty and suspense of Erased. The visuals were stunning: starry night skies, snowy fields, barren trees, and a little girl in a red coat at the center of it. The story kept me at rapt attention, jostling me from sweet interactions with a rag-tag group of school children to gut-gripping dread that one of them will become the next victim. Kudos to the child actors; they were all exemplary. And, amazingly, they resembled the adult actors they were to become.When first introduced to Satoru, he wasn't in a good place. He lived estranged from his mother, was a sullen loner, and his career as a manga artist wasn't going anywhere, so he worked as a pizza delivery guy. Even so, when he had his "revival" spells, he still tried to help people anonymously. He was afflicted with a five-minute reset of time whenever something bad was about to happen. He saw the issue in real time and worked to remedy it during the reset.
Every reset was about five minutes previous until something dramatic happened, and Satoru was sent 18 years back into the past to his younger self. He realized he was reset to prevent the murders of three school children that occurred when he was a child. In order to do that, he had to break out of his shell, stop being a loner, and reach out to his classmates. The ensuing friendships changed Satoru. He wasn't just trying to solve the mysteries in order to return to his timeline; he began to genuinely care for his classmates, and they loved him in return. He started to see his mother in a new light and began to appreciate her. His character development was rewarding to watch.
There's also a psychopathic killer on the loose if personal growth arcs and adorable children don't hit your sweet spot.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Fan Zhi Xin is Mesmerizing as a Lethal Man
Ridiculous writing and nonsensical decisions are partially forgiven due to a captivating performance by Fan Zhi Xin. He singlehandedly saved the drama with his charisma. I kept thinking I recognized him and realized, with a shock, that he'd played the part of a manipulative, gaslighting man in a short length series, Dear Liar. It was a low-budget affair unworthy of note except for Fan Zhi Xin's portrayal of a psychopath. He seriously gave me shivers in that one. I should probably note here that he gives shivers in this one, too, but for a far different reason: this is a very kissy drama!ML had schemed and planned for 17 years to take over the family business and find his family's murderer. He had two accomplices; one was very tech savvy, and the other was the muscle. The trio had strategies, but the drama had plot holes galore, like:
1. Unknown vendors showing up in the lobby of a major corporation and setting up a drink stand without any security checking them out, especially in the turbulent times they were experiencing.
2. Uninvited guest crashing the engagement party and blurting out FL's real name. Knowing their lives were in danger, security should have been tight.
3. FL opening a biometric lock with the dead girl's iris, when all she had received in the surgery were her corneas. Irises aren't transplanted successfully yet. Never mind that the dead girl hadn't been in the country for years, so how did her irises get scanned?
4. When encountering a drowned person deep in the water, trying to shake them to consciousness is counterproductive. And once on land, screaming their name repeatedly won't be as effective as CPR.
5. When 2FL barges into the corporate office and insists FL sign a contract, any Business 101 student knows that it needs to be taken to legal first to be read, amended, and approved. Before any of that is done, there is NO WAY an outsider is taken into the super-secret vault.
6. FL's father let everyone think the worst when all he had to do was explain, "I didn't cause the accident." If I'm ever accused of murder, the first words out of my mouth are going to be, "I didn't do it!" I won't hang my head and look sad.
7. It was imperative to keep FL's real identity a secret, so why did ML have her listed in his phone with her real name? Why did her always call out to her with her real name?
8. When it's discovered XXX is the killer, there is a touching scene with tears and hugging that person. HOLY MOLY, GUACAMOLE!!! That person tried to kill at least 6 people (maybe more, I lost count), successfully ended 3, and inflicted trauma and disability to the others. The kicker is someone knew 17 years ago who the killer was and hoped that person would get over murderous tendencies and live a sweet life afterwards. Bonkers.
9. What are golf clubs sitting in the ultra-formal living room of the mansion? They were necessary for the dramatic slashing of the water scene artwork. Jeeves, fire the maids!
10. FL is kidnapped in the back of a taxi. She repeatedly tries to open the door but never tries making a phone call.
11. FL knows her life is in danger. She's been kidnapped and sedated before, but she pursues a similar guy (the typical bad guy with a black cap, mask, and jacket) and climbs into a trailer into which he threw something. Of course, she is locked in.
12. It's IMPERATIVE the ML finds his mother's seal if he is going to complete his mission. It's likely FL has it, but he won't ask her for it, because he wants to "protect" her.
13. When FL learns ML needs the seal, she tells him it's at her house and he can come over the next day. No sense of urgency! This is just something that will solve his 17-year dilemma, and if his enemies get it, it's game over. Let's not mention her house and his office has been ransacked before in an attempt for the enemies to locate it.
14. ML didn't follow through in screening the FL, her past, and her family and associates before installing her as the double. The fact ML's henchmen didn't tell him FL's best friend worked at the same company was beyond idiotic; they owed their allegiance to him, and years of planning had gone into the operation.
TL/DR: Drama suffered from a split personality: intelligent, lethal man fighting a imbecilic, unrealistic script.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Cuteness Overload
The ML was puppy dog cute and worth watching the drama for; the actor owned the role of a narcissist who dealt with the world relying on his looks. When ML was confronted with his future, ugly self, he was first horrified and in denial. As time went on, and he began a romantic relationship based on caring rather than looks, he began to change. I love character growth in dramas; it gives me hope for some people I know.I was wishing for a better ending, but it fell flat, just like old beer. Who wants a rom-com to end with a stiff, off-putting romance? Who wants the adorable ML to become an ugly, old man? It's a downer ending to a cute drama. I waffled on how many stars to rate after my disappointment. I considered 6.5, but the lead was engaging. I decided to award 7 stars, but I gave another half star because of the lead's cuteness factor. I'm allowed; don't judge me.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Enjoy the Scenery: Mountains, Yi Lin, and Esther Yu
I like sports dramas. I appreciated learning more about snowboarding, but I wish there had been a little more competition shown. Except for two jumps, there was no suspense involving the snowboarding.There should be an expiration age on full-time aegyo for adult humans, and Esther Yu, approaching 30, has reached it. I didn't mind the childishness in Love Between Fairy and Devil, because aegyo suited the character of an innocent flower fairy. It's different when Esther Yu is playing an adult businesswoman. This is not a criticism of the actress; I like her very much and will happily watch most of her dramas, but I hope she can get more adult-ish roles where she plays an intelligent, competent person without all the toddler, spoiled attitude. What's cute as a toddler just isn't as an adult. I'm not saying she has to take cold, calculated roles, but wouldn't it be fun to see what she could do with a villain role?
When watching this drama, leave logic at the door. FL wore a new snowboarding outfit every day but claimed she couldn't afford to buy fogless snowboard goggles. This from a woman staying at an exclusive resort and taking personal snowboarding lessons. And she carried one suitcase a trip when she wore the equivalent of a complete dress shop. She seriously couldn't get two of her coats in that suitcase, much less all of the boots/shoes/purses/hats/dresses. That suitcase must be like the Tardis: bigger on the inside.
Kudos to the secondary romance of a snowboarder and his ex-skier girlfriend who lost her legs in an accident. Their love story was more interesting to me than the leads. It's not often a disability is done well. Either the person is pitied or made into a saint. The girlfriend was treated like a normal, sweet person with dreams and abilities. The third romance between FL's best friend and snowboarder Lao Yan was weird and unfinished.
Loved the scenery. The mountains were exquisite. It's hot summer where I watched the drama, but I had to cuddle up in a warm blankie to make it through all that snow! Beautiful scenes!
All in all, I'm not mad I watched, but I was a tad disappointed, because I expected more.
Was this review helpful to you?
We Are More Than Our Brains
This drama ticks many of my boxes: a plethora of brain conditions/injuries, intelligent characters, and engaging actors. The co-leading man was a handsome psychopath; the other co-leading man was the relatable, comic relief; and the supporting/guest actors were gems. I'm always mesmerized by Ye Ji Won: she never plays a boring part.I enjoyed all the brain dilemmas, even though the science was flawed. I'm capable of overlooking poetic license for a little drama.
I'm a sucker for intelligent characters, and this drama had mostly smart people until the 15th and 16th episodes, when everyone must have take stupid pills and overdosed. I was cringing at the thought of two neuroscientists being so brainless, and three cops (count them!) being so unprofessional and unprepared. There is also no way a truly psychotic being would have ended the way he did. It was agonizing sitting through all that while muttering, "Call for back-up!"
I wanted to remove a star due to the cringe-worthy ending, but I can't because the leading man had a two-story library and a mouse/rat named Algernon (read the short story Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes; don't read the novelette as the short story is superior: https://www.sdfo.org/gj/stories/flowersforalgernon.pdf). It obviously doesn't take much to make me overlook a disappointing ending. I also liked the philosophy that we are more than our brains. We don't have to be constrained by what we're given.
Was this review helpful to you?
The Winner of Worst Wig...
Is Hong Ryeon/Mu Yeon, by a landslide. Wigs are often bad in historical dramas, but this one was atrocious. The actress had dark auburn hair, but her wig was raven black. The actress, Kang Moon Young, did a fine job chewing the scenery in her role as a villain, but I couldn't keep my eyes off her wig. Very distracting. As was the rap music in the fight scenes. Still, time spent with Lee Joon Gi and Shin Min Ah elevated what, otherwise, could been an average offering. I enjoyed Hwang Bo Ra as comic relief, too.In typical K-drama style, early episodes started promisingly, middle episodes had a tendency to drag, and the last episode had everything thrown into the blender at high speed, then poured out haphazardly. I won't add this to my "Unsatisfying Ending" list, but it just barely escaped. It isn't a sad ending, but it's unfulfilling. It's just enough to leave me disgruntled.
Was this review helpful to you?
Short on Angst, Long on Charm
The ML was played masterfully by Wallace Huo. He depicted a man newly turned 40, set in his ways, and encumbered by neurodivergence. ML was brilliant, but he was hampered by his OCD, his lack of filter when he spoke, and his inability to read social signals. He had learned to navigate life by isolation, the protection and intervention of his business partner, and the defensive speech he used to keep people at arm's length.Zhu Zhu depicted an older woman successful in her profession who was unwilling to settle for the sake of marriage, no matter the pressures society and her father placed upon her.
What unfolded was a mature love story. Some might find it slow and lacking in the romance department, but I was fascinated with ML's journey and evolution. Wallace Huo fleshed out a character I will long remember, and he did it in a stylish and heartwarming manner. Unlike so many dramas that have disappointed me, it managed to have a sweet and satisfying ending.
I quibbled with myself over the rating, but my enjoyment of Huo's character made me come back to rate the drama higher.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Loopholes, We've Got Your Loopholes of All Sizes Here!
Nothing was explained or made sense: why was a modern woman outrageously, belligerently fearless in an isolated area when a man repeatedly tried to kill her (with arrows, sword, and knife!); if she was from the future and had foreknowledge, why didn't she make better choices or give out warnings; why would cooks well-known for their knife skills choose wooden spoons as weapons to save their lives; and why was the king's mother killed? The ending is equally nonsensical, and the writers even admitted in a sideways fashion that they couldn't come up with a viable explanation. As for loose ends, the whole drama garment was frayed! If you don't need logic or explanations, this is the drama for you.Even so, I enjoyed myself. The leads and supporting cast were fun. I enjoy food dramas, and I could happily watch the ML eat in slow motion for an entire drama. Which is, basically, the main reason to watch this show. I've added an entire star for the ML's acting skills in relishing each bite.
Was this review helpful to you?
Every Trope Known to Drama Lovers!
This is a satire written for drama lovers, as only they can fully appreciate the many tropes. There are also puns and references that only those who know Chinese culture and language will comprehend. Even without those understandings, anyone can enjoy the drama even though they will miss some humor and foreshadowing. A Dream Within a Dream is so rich in music, art, poetry, philosophy, lush cinematography, Easter eggs, and tropes that missing a few allusions won't matter, as the story holds together without needing total awareness.The cast was exceptional, from the charismatic leads to the wonderful supporting characters.
If I had to quibble about anything, it's that a character with foreknowledge should use it to her advantage. If something horrible is going to happen in the forest at night, don't decide to travel through it at that time. It was frustrating to experience the FL floundering and making foolish choices. She took excruciatingly long to wise up to those around her, and it wasn't until late in the game that she tried to use the script to her advantage.
I found ADwaD to be fresh and innovative while using old, tired tropes. I generally don't enjoy slapstick or overt silliness, but they fit well in this parody.
Was this review helpful to you?

2
2
1
1
1
1