Quantcast

Details

  • Last Online: 4 days ago
  • Gender: Female
  • Location:
  • Contribution Points: 0 LV0
  • Roles:
  • Join Date: November 28, 2024
Completed
The Empress of China
1 people found this review helpful
9 days ago
96 of 96 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 5.5
Story 5.0
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 6.5
Rewatch Value 1.5

Beautiful but has a weak script & poor pacing that isn't saved by the amazing cast

I finally finished this today 😮‍💨

I took a break at the halfway point (episode 41) earlier this year because it was just so long and dragged a lot. I guess it says something about the story that I was able to pick it back up months later without needing to be refreshed on the plot? I picked it back up just this week and was fatigued by the time I got to episode 77, but I pushed through because I really wanted to complete this drama after so long.

The sets, jewelry, and dresses/robes were gorgeous, and you could tell they prioritized those in the budget because the armor was cheap and fake looking. I also quite enjoyed the OST. While not particularly memorable, there were many songs that were pleasant to hear while watching. It's a very pretty drama, but I feel it could have been better with less filler and cut down to only 45-50 episodes. Many arcs take an unnecessary amount of time (10-20 episodes) to resolve, while others lasting years are time skipped and finish in a single episode.

Without spoiling, the result is a confusing and inconsistent mess because they focus on a petty squabble or misunderstanding for multiple episodes but skip important events in the FL's life. Later in the show, new characters are added without a proper introduction to facilitate the plot and it's very rushed. While I'm not totally critical of the drama and think it has it's good moments, I cannot recommend it for the reasons I stated. If you're a fan of the actors and have 72 hours to spare, maybe check it out? It's a slog to get through.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?