Quantcast

Details

  • Last Online: 21 hours ago
  • Location:
  • Contribution Points: 0 LV0
  • Roles:
  • Join Date: May 18, 2023
Completed
When Life Gives You Tangerines
1 people found this review helpful
Jul 17, 2026
16 of 16 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 8.5
Acting/Cast 10
Music 9.0
Rewatch Value 8.0

A must watch series in this lifetime.

I will be really really honest. I waited till it ended airing to watch it all together at once, was watching the first episode; at 03:48 min mark, I got so emotional and started to tear up. Her old self was just calling out to her mother in the sea. I closed it. Kid you not I could not watch it any further. IDK why, but somehow I just didn't. I knew it was a hit, very emotional, slice of life, family, romance type of drama. Even saw few scenes due to edit on my FYP.

This was released last year, I am home rn, due to semester break, a few days ago going through Netflix, pondering what to watch I saw the title,( Maybe because my mother was sitting in the hall with me) I said to her, "You should definitely watch this, it's very heart-touching." (Even tho i hadn't watched it yet, but I knew), then I suddenly said, "Let's watch it together na, it has an amazing narrative about mother-daughter relationship." We started it, and there was not a single episode where I didn't tear up or choke up. I even whimpered like a puppy many times. There were storylines my mum got emotional too . I am so grateful to have shared watching this beautiful drama with my mum. She never watches foreign series at all, esp Northeast Asian ones or whatever I watch or have interest in. If she does, she likes to watch in ENG dubbed because it easier to understand at once, English is not our first language. But she gave this a chance for me and watched it all in the native language so that we could watch together, get the full essence of it. When Life Gives You Tangerines somehow deepened our bond should I say? Core memory for lifetime. Even if you watch it alone, with friends, your other half... it is just as beautiful. It makes you wonder about life in every possible way: the good, the bad, the ups and down, life & death, the past, present, future, relationships with every single human being out there-parents, siblings, family, people around you, even a passing stranger.

The whole storyline was so so goddamn relatable. The in-laws, even on how your own extended family can be, what a mother goes through and fights for the best for their children. It taught us & showed us, how life is so damn unpredictable, but what matters is that you never give up. NEVER EVER GIVE UP, there is this thing called fate/destiny, sure. But you also have to work hard to actually get lucky. It reminded us once again to always be good, have good nature, cause there is Karma, whatever you do-your words, your actions, one day they'll come back right at ya.

OUR Yang Gwan-Sik: Oh, to find love like that. To have so much warmth, courage, strength to go on, be the pillar, a husband, a father, a MAN. It honestly has left me speechless. He was also a good son, in every way he could be. Cause let's be real in those times and days; where change was needed. A husband, a life partner who is on your side, who wants to give you the world, Provide you with all his might... I could go on n on, it won't do him justice. You need to see it or have seen this masterpiece- in order to understand this feeling. He was with Ae-sun from the age of 9 until his last breath, he never left her alone, practically raised her while growing up himself, just silently staying by her side until they both came together & became one.
Oh Ae-sun: the 10 year old girl who lost her mother to the 70 year old Teacher Ae-sun. I am still having goosebumps thinking about her, her story, the curveballs life threw at them from such a naive age. I genuinely cannot write thinking back about it. Too many scenes going through my head.

It was also angering & frustrating at times to watch their kids be ungrateful and yell at their parents, the in-laws being "IN-LAWS", so many character pissing me off left n right (meaning they were that good at their job, acting 10/10).

To make the viewers feel every emotion in human emotional range: joy, fear of loss, sadness, guilt or compassion, YOU FUCKING NAME IT.
Hats off to the the writer, producer, director, all the actors, the entire production crew.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Long Vacation
0 people found this review helpful
4 days ago
11 of 11 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.5
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 8.5
Rewatch Value 7.5

A must watch if you are trying to find something authentic in the superficial year of 2026.

I watched this.. in the year of 2026... wow.
This was so natural, real. In compared to whatever stories we get today; anddddd I got to know that main lead Kimura Takuya is smth of a big shot back from those time, king of ratings apparently, well deserved cause his acting was so good, every emotion, his face, the way he portrayed it, with his eyes, even small actions, everything, and to say that this was his 1st main lead role, so crazy, (yeah ik he was in boy group n all, also had acted before but still, so good.)
The actress was also so real, relatable, fresh.
I might add, the whole series did seem a little too slow for me, and felt like side character were kinda ingrained into main characters one way or another due them having a close knit relationship with e/o.
Now like a bloody fool imma go and find old Japanese or any good Asian drama to binge watch, cause 20 years ago things used to be simple. and sometimes being simple is best.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?