Quantcast

Details

  • Last Online: 7 hours ago
  • Location: Narnia
  • Contribution Points: 0 LV0
  • Roles:
  • Join Date: September 9, 2025
Completed
Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
1 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Dec 10, 2025
20 of 20 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.5
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 9.0
This review may contain spoilers

Nine Years Later, This Time-Slip K-Drama Still Rips Your Heart Out ?

Genre: Historical, Slight Fantasy
Tropes: Transmigration, Love Triangle (that turns into some other weird shape later in the series)

I’ll start by saying that I have no words after finishing this. I had to take some time to process everything before sharing my feels.

If you are an international K-Drama fan like me, you probably know that for the longest time, "Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo" remained unavailable for viewing on any major streaming platforms.

It’s also important to note that it’s not a new drama. It was released in 2016, and while the quality of K-dramas has gotten way better in the past 9 years, this is still an ambitious series with a larger-than-life story, and it’s currently one of the most searched series on Viki.

At the heart of the story is a young woman in the present day who, after a
drowning incident during an eclipse, finds herself transported back in time, inhabiting the body of a noble lady closely connected to the royal family. As she navigates the unfamiliar customs and expectations of the Goryeo era, our heroine must forge new relationships with various people to survive. I’d like to mention that Goryeo dynasty was a significant period in Korean history that lasted from 918 to 1392. So, it’s important to understand this was the time of strict societal norms and a power struggle that knew no bounds.

Our heroine makes friends with several princes, ultimately falling for two of them simultaneously. So, the first half of the show we are invested in the love triangle.

But as the drama progresses, the narrative takes a dark turn. The love story becomes entangled in a complex web of family feuds, as the princes vie for the throne (and a few more vie for our heroine’s heart), their ambitions eclipsing any notion of a happily-ever-after. It's a harrowing, emotionally draining journey, yet one that we simply cannot tear ourselves away from. At this point, we are too invested in the characters and their fates because they are fleshed out and real, and we can’t help it. It’s almost like watching a trainwreck in slow-motion. There’s absolutely no comedic moments left, just lots of anxiety and some foreshadowing.

Things I enjoyed:

Acting and star-studded cast. And I do mean star-studded. This show gave a boost in popularity to a lot of beloved Korean actors. We even have a small cameo from Byeon Woo Seok from “Lovely Runner.”

I know the opinions on IU’s acting are divided. I think it has nothing to do with her skills but with the way her character was written. Historical setting and rules women had to adhere at the time also play a big role in her behavior. She essentially had to forget where she was from and try to make it work in her current situation. I have no problem with her character or acting. I think she did a great job. I think any woman in such circumstances would have done the same.

Lee Joon Gi, who played 4th Prince, carried the show on his shoulders. But… I am also not upset about some of the things that happened in the last two episodes. Yes, there’s romance but it’s not going to end the way you think. (SPOILER) For some reason, I rooted for 14th prince because he gave our heroine what she wanted. Not all, but the most important things that mattered in the end, in my opinion.

I loved all the other couples and how the relationships between the characters were portrayed.

Things I think could have been done better:

The ending. It’s not a secret this show doesn’t have a happy ending. This is ultimately a historical show with a dash of fantasy (and I mean just a dash) and it reflects the harsh realities of the time period it’s set at. I can definitely deal with some of the open endings where it’s easy to guess what could happen. Knowing what the deleted scene at the end of the last episode would have been, it gives me a little comfort. But leaving it the way it is is weird because if the writers are alluding to what we think they are alluding, it needs to be shown somehow. I think the ending definitely needed some finesse.

In a nutshell, “Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo” is a romantic historical drama about the price of power.

I suppose, you’re asking yourself why watch it if it doesn’t have a HEA.

Some shows are there for pure entertainment and to make you feel good. “Moon Lovers” is a show where you enjoy the journey not the destination. Not every work of fiction is going to give you fuzzy feelings. Some are there to show you other things.

Even years after its release, the series remains a staple of what a Korean historical drama, or "sageuk," should aspire to be. Its ability to seamlessly blend romance, political intrigue, and gut-wrenching tragedy has cemented its status as a true classic of K-drama.

It's finally available to watch on Viki.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
My Dearest Nemesis
1 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Dec 7, 2025
12 of 12 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 10
This review may contain spoilers

Finally, a K-Drama with lead who loves rock/metal music ?

If you're a sucker for K-drama clichés galore like me (and let's be real, who isn't?), "My Dearest Nemesis" is serving them up with a side of swoon and giggles for sure. And I would be lying if I said I wasn’t hooked from the very first episode.

Things I enjoyed: I really liked the delightful blend of humor and heart. The banter between the leads is sharp and witty. It's a wonder they didn't set off my smoke alarms. There’s no unnecessary fillers or any secondary plots. Writers waste no time, which is always a plus in my book (I skip/fast forward a lot when I watch).

The female lead is feisty and smart and can handle herself. Plus I’m a fan of Moon Ga-Young. I really loved her in “True Beauty” and she doesn’t disappoint here. As a character she is consistent.

Now let’s talk about the adorable male lead (played by Choi Hyun-Wook). He is nerdry, liked rock music, goes to concert, reads comic books, collects toys, and of course pining over his ice queen of a coworker? Swoon-worthy, I tell you!

Despite the drama only being 10 episodes long (a rarity in the K-drama world since they are typically 16 episodes), the character backstories and motivations were refreshingly well-developed. No needless separation at the end, either—just a wholesome, fuzzy-feeling conclusion that left me grinning like a sixteen year old.

Things that I think could have been better: Many longer K-dramas always wobble in the last quarter. Perhaps because writers run out of steam. Not sure. "My Dearest Nemesis" doesn’t really suffer from this much but the last couple of eposides could have used a little zing. While we get a lot of snippets of their HEA, the resolution with the main antagonist feels a little rushed and there seems to be no actual climax. However, I am not upset over this. This is better than that the separation trope where one of them disappears because he/she things it’s going to make their loved ones life better. Then magically appears 5 years later and everything is okay. Instead, in “My Dearest Nemesis,” the leads actually communicate (not without some secrets) and support each other like a real couple.

Overall:

"My Dearest Nemesis" is a solid 8.5/10 laugh-out-loud rom com with tons of cute situations. If you're looking for a rom com that's equal parts funny and heartwarming, this drama is the perfect antidote to all those angsty, melodramatic K-dramas out there.

Trust me, your inner K-drama addict will thank you.


P.S. Since I’m a music nerd, I want to say the soundtrack is amazing. Special Mention goes to Stay by NELL. I added it to my playlist.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Prisoner of Beauty
1 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Nov 1, 2025
36 of 36 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 10

Loved it!

I loved it.

No unnecessary, lengthy dialogues from insignificant characters or villains. Fast-paced. Great chemistry between the main characters. Great couple dynamics overall.

I have no complaints. I don’t watch C-dramas for some other reason beyond being entertained and relaxing after work.

This drama did the job. Production value has also gone up compared to previous years, which really adds to the enjoyment of watching. I think this one goes to the top 20 of my favorite costume C-dramas.

I think romance, of course, could be romancing a bit more. There was too little skinship for my taste, considering that the couple has been married for the entirety of the drama. But again, I’m a gal who lives in the west, so I’ll take what I can get when I watch C-dramas, especially if they are historical setting.

I think this is a must re-watch for me in a few years.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The East Palace
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
10 days ago
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.5
Story 8.5
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 7.5
This review may contain spoilers

Visually stunning horror that fumbles its potential due to a rushed eight-episode runtime.

While the breathtaking, high-budget special effects and a powerhouse action performance from Nam Joo-hyuk make The East Palace an absolute treat for the eyes, the heavily stripped-down narrative leave a highly predictable plot feeling a tad empty and lacking something.

I’m getting more and more convinced that Netflix really needs to wash their hands off producing K-dramas because this ain't it. They maybe thought they did something by shrinking this into an eight-episode format, but honestly, taking a concept that easily deserved a traditional 16-episode run (or at least 12) and cutting it down to the bare minimum is the biggest issue I have with this drama.

Because the runtime was so rushed, the main characters felt like they were existing in a total vacuum. The complete lack of side characters, subplots, and any sort of narrative breathing room made the whole vibe feel incredibly empty. It was like ‘let’s get these guys from point A to point B and forget about being creative about it.’

Usually, K-drama predictability is comforting, but here? The breakneck pacing didn’t allow the story to go beyond the surface. We never got the time to actually learn anything about the two main characters. Yes, we get all the villains’ motivations. The acting was stellar. We did have a quick dive into the leads’ stories. But both Gu Cheon and Saeng Gang were such compelling characters to begin with, and they had amazing depth, and there could have been a lot more said about their journeys. The development of their relationship is also extremely rushed.

Honestly, the main reason I didn't drop this show was Nam Joo-hyuk. He is fine in romantic K-dramas, but after seeing him in Vigilante, it’s clear that he absolutely thrives in action roles, and he carried this entire production on his back along with Kwak Dong Yeon. The way he handles the physical choreography and holds down the screen is unmatched. Plus, the visual effects team absolutely ate. The CGI was next-level—it gave total Stranger Things on steroids energy but made it historical and Korean, which is 100% my jam. Every supernatural encounter looked incredibly expensive, which only makes it more frustrating that the script couldn't match the budget.

Against all odds, the ending actually served. I was stressing, but both characters surviving was highly satisfying, and it left the door wide open for a season two. If we get a sequel, let's just pray Netflix gives it enough episodes to actually breathe next time instead of giving us a ghost town of a plot!

Overall, I think this is a stellar production with great cast, and great story. It is however bare bones with no meat for the relationship development for our main characters due to the short runtime. Netflix could have done so much more with it if they only hadn’t made a horrible decision to make this an eight episode show. It is still worth watching for acting and extremely original supernatural aspects and graphics.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
My Man Is Cupid
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Sep 7, 2026
16 of 16 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 7.5
This review may contain spoilers

Multi-Genre Fantasy Romance With Great Balance

Let's clear the air first: because this was made for Amazon Prime, it automatically sidesteps that aggressively OTT, dramatic-gasp energy we usually get from traditional Korean network broadcasting. My Man Is Cupid is clearly aiming for a slightly different, Western-adjacent vibe. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not. Just different.

But consider this your official public service announcement: do not go into this expecting a heavy, cavity-inducing romance. The writers threw romance, a cosmic mystery, and a literal serial killer crime plot into a blender. Surprisingly, they gave all three subplots the exact same amount of screen time. If you don't manage your expectations about that genre-mashup going in, you're going to confuse yourself. However, the romance is definitely a K-drama style with very high stakes and a heart pounding slow burn and it’ll be keeping you glued to your screen.

First off, the production budget was clearly budgeting. I was honestly shocked by how unbelievably crisp the picture quality was—my screen looked fantastic. The cast actually manages to balance the fantasy-thriller-romance tightrope, and when the comedy hits? It hits hard. You will actually laugh out loud at the funny moments, which are spaced out perfectly.

Let's talk about the couple. Jang Dong-yoon plays our resident Cupid, and he’s great. I loved him in The Tale of Nokdu, and his subtle performance here is just as solid. Nana is equally great as the female lead, and the chemistry works. Oh yes, it does. The got the kissing part down, for sure. Also, can we give a round of applause to the casting directors? Because Oh Baek-ryun’s character looked different in all her three lives, three different actresses played her. Revolutionary! Usually, K-dramas will throw a terrible wig on the same lead actress and expect us to believe the male lead is just blind for not recognizing her. Using different actresses made it actually believable that Jang Dong-yoon wouldn't know who she was because she in fact did look different in all her lives. More of this, please.

Look, I know this drama got highly mixed reviews. But at its core, it still serves classic K-drama absurdity. We have reincarnation, literal deities walking around a contemporary world, and completely unbelievable plots—everything we love.

The pacing is definitely on the slower, more subtle side, but it doesn't drag. It just takes its time making sure the side characters get their fair share of screen time. If you aren't looking for a groundbreaking, award-winning masterpiece but just want a nice, high-quality contemporary fantasy romance, give it a shot.

I personally enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The mystery kept on driving the plot forward and somehow this drama ended up impressing me quite a lot. Could just be Cheon Sang-hyuk and his wings. Either way, I don’t think My Man Is Cupid is as bad as some viewers make it out to be.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Blossoms of Power
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Aug 6, 2026
36 of 36 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.5
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 10
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 8.0
This review may contain spoilers

Great Cast, Terrible Execution

I went into this drama with very high expectations, primarily because I absolutely love Meng Zi Yi and He Yu from their previous romantic works with different on screen partners. Sadly, it didn’t work.

Blossoms of Power has all the ingredients to be a really great drama. The story follows Gu Qingzhi, a woman who dies and is transported into the body of an entirely different noblewoman named Shen Xihe. Armed with this new identity, Shen Xihe journeys to the imperial capital to marry one of the princes.

Upon her arrival, she immediately crosses paths with her old husband from her past life, Xiao Changqing, while simultaneously navigating intense attention from all other princes, including the brilliant Crown Prince, Xiao Huayong, who has been pretending to be weak all his life, but secretly knows martial arts and has a whole network of spies.

I mean, what’s not to love?
Reincarnation? Check.
Crown Prince with a secret identity? Check.
Multiple brothers fighting over one woman? Check.
Strong female lead? Check.

But oh my God, what a mess... I haven’t been so frustrated watching a historical drama in a very long time.

While Blossoms of Power features a large, interesting cast of characters with an excellent supporting lineup, and obviously amazing leading couple, the writing is completely uneven. Half the time, it is entirely unclear where the story is actually going. The pacing is off. In places it’s so fast that it’s clear a lot has been cut away for screen. Some of the key scenes and important reveals needed to be seen not just talked about. In other places, the pace is extremely slow and dragged down by scenes that didn’t need to be so long, or plotlines that lead absolutely nowhere. The show spends stretches of episodes hyper-focused on one specific issue, completely forgets about everything else, and then randomly pivots.

Worse, the writers completely abandon intriguing setups. For instance, they spent time building a dynamic between Xiao Changying and Shen Yingruo only for it to vanish. If the writers did not intend to continue with their storyline, they should have cut those scenes out and included the ones that actually needed to be there.

By the end of the show, it is glaringly obvious that the writers simply forgot about multiple storylines and characters, leaving them completely dropped without a single word of explanation. On the contrary, some of the characters that did not spend a lot of time on screen and their storylines were completed earlier in the drama, were given longer scenes that made no sense and wasted screen time. For example, Second Prince or Fourth Prince had bland storylines. Their death scenes should have been cut in half. At least.

Let’s talk about romance now.

The romance between Shen Xihe and Xiao Huayong is a massive slow-burn that ultimately feels somewhat unbelievable in certain parts. Shen Xihe remains extremely cold for three-quarters of the drama, only to suddenly realize she fell for Xiao Huayong out of nowhere. Don’t get me wrong. I did like the romantic tension. I think the biggest mistake here is the fact that writers dragged on her cold shoulder era for too many episodes. I deeply wish her character started to warm up much earlier in the timeline, so this emotional shift in her doesn’t feel too sudden.

Furthermore, the romantic chemistry wasn’t what I expected. They are both incredibly fine actors, and I know for a fact that they both can pull off intimacy beautifully. Having seen He Yu’s work with Esther in Speed and Love, I was incredibly excited to see what he and Meng Zi Yi can give us. Additionally, I really liked Meng Zi Yi in Blossom.

However, she felt detached in some intimate scenes. They both had some good kissing scenes, but also some were not so good. No, I don’t mean to say that the romance is done poorly. On the contrary, I think the romance was still done very well. I kept watching because of the romance. But I think Xiao Huayong was the highlight of the show, mostly because he was the only character that brought comedic relief to the drama during his pursuit of Shen Xihe. However, I still think that none of the attributes writers gave him at the beginning of the show like his hidden martial arts skills or his hidden identity were utilized to the full potential in the show. Writers kind of screwed up because instead of letting the character reveal his true self with the flair—because there was so much fuss made about keeping it secret—they just let it all fizzle out. Which leaves me with the question why introduce Xiao Huayong secret identity at all? He could have remained a sick Crown Prince, and that would have been enough for the kind of story we received.

Before I move on to the last part, I want to add that the female lead is an absolute badass here. That’s one thing that I truly liked about the drama. Additionally, the relationship between the lead couple is interesting. I like that he allows her be herself without tying her down. Relationships between all the brothers and all the sisters are nuanced and written well. However…

A Final Insult of an Ending

The absolute worst part of the drama is the final arc. Xiao Huayong completely disappears for the last four episodes of the series. Well because he dies. Then, in the final two minutes of the drama, he suddenly shows up out of nowhere with absolutely no explanation as to how, why, or where he was, and if this is even true, or if she’s seen another dream.

Frankly, this ending pissed me off. If he was alive the whole time, he essentially left Shen Xihe alone in a den of vipers to fend entirely for herself. This was such a letdown. While the drama has decent production value, a great main cast, and a solid premise, the execution is an absolute mess that leaves you completely unsatisfied.

I actually had to go online and look up some information about the original novel. Yes, I understand why writers chose not to include what he did during those four years of absence. But I think that viewers who don’t have a chance to read source material deserve better than to scour the Internet for answers.

Would I recommend this drama? Probably if you like any of the actors, or while you’re waiting for something with a much better storyline. But I wouldn’t expect anything extraordinary or well written just because the cast and the production are high-end.

I additionally I did not like music at all. This drama has this typical dramatic old school depressing music score that invokes a feeling of doom in me.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The King's Woman
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Jun 14, 2026
48 of 48 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 9.0
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 7.0
This review may contain spoilers

Slow-Burn Tragedy That Needed 10 Fewer Episodes

48 Episodes of 'Why Did I Watch This?' (And Why You Might Want To Too)

This drama has been sitting on my watchlist for literal years. I kept putting it aside because, let’s be real, I knew it didn’t have a happy ending and I wasn't sure I was ready for the heartbreak. But as a total fan of Dilraba Dilmurat and Vin Zhang, I finally made it my mission to binge it just to see what their acting was like back in their rookie days.

In a nutshell, The King's Woman is a tragedy mostly based on the life of on the first Emperor of China, starring Dilraba Dilmurat as Gongsun Li, a compassionate and free spirited woman forced into the palace of the ruthless Qin Emperor, Ying Zheng, who is played by Vin Zhang. The catch? She’s secretly pregnant with her first love's child. Ying Zheng's toxic, possessive self decides to accept the baby anyway just to keep her by his side, creating a super messy and dark bond with Gongsun Li. Meanwhile, her childhood sweetheart, Jing Ke and father of her child, played by Liu Chang, goes down a dark ‘no way out’ path to become a legendary assassin.

Fun fact: Jing Ke and Ying Zheng are both real historical figures.

Honestly, the whole show is just a massive twist of fate. These three actually met as kids when one was in danger, and the other two saved him. Flash forward, and that little kid who they saved grows up to be the first emperor of China—and the literal reason they both die.

Yikes. So, word of advice: if you go into this expecting a fluffy romance, you are doing it wrong. I see quite a lot of hate online from people who watched this one when it came out, criticizing the actual romance. The romance in this drama is a myth. This is a tragedy, plain and simple.

And don’t forget that it’s loosely based on history; while the assassin and the Emperor were real people, Dilraba's character is fictional to make the drama interesting and actually show the real price of power. If you drop the romance expectations, it actually gives a pretty realistic look at how trapped women were in ancient China. Romanticizing the story between her and the Emperor was pretty much for the sake of viewership and dramatization and the reasons I mentioned above.

Yes, there is absolutely crazy chemistry between Dilraba and Vin Zhang and that’s the reason why this drama is controversial because people totally misinterpret the "romance" between the female lead and the king because of this chemistry. She didn't magically forget her first love. She was genuinely in love with her childhood sweetheart, the father of her kid. But she had to survive for the sake of her son.

Sure, spending years trapped in a palace with the king meant she grew to understand him, but half her heart was elsewhere. I think perhaps there was quite a lot of screen time given to them to portray them as a couple and it perhaps was a mistake because the drama gives a feel of a romantic drama with that much time given to the relationship between Gongsun Li and Ying Zheng. If writers were to concentrate on everyone’s stories equally and just take a full on ‘historical tragedy’ approach that would perhaps not have given viewers an idea that this was a romantic storyline. Also, despite the amount of the toxicity between the couple and the fact that she is forced into being his wife, there’s barely any skinship. We hardly get any intimacy. They share a few kisses on screen and that’s it. The only real romantic intimacy-filled scene is between Gongsun Li and Jing Ke at the beginning of the drama, which tells you that he was always the one despite her loving Ying Zheng in her own way.

As for the execution? The actors were super young here, but the acting is surprisingly good. That said, the pacing was a snail-paced test of patience at times. This show easily could have chopped off 10 episodes and been way better for it. On the bright side, the fight scenes actually serve and super fun to watch, considering this is a drama that was filmed more than 10 years ago. Yes, there are way too many irrelevant side characters and political filler, but hey, that’s 2017 C-drama logic for you.

The production value is a bit of a mixed bag. The costumes and sets look great, and I love that they actually shot on location instead of abusing green screens and cheap CGI. But oh my god, the makeup! Specifically for Jing Ke at the beginning? Absolutely criminal. The make up. team eventually made him look really. Bada$$. I loved it but first half of the show feels like they try to make him look ugly on purpose.

As far as the ending goes, yes, it’s extremely sad, but I was surprised at the fact that I didn’t hate it at all. Everything that the characters did and Gongsun Li’s final choice at the end made total sense. We are left with the lingering filling of the possibility of the better future for Ying Zheng. Perhaps in that fictional universe, he could be a really benevolent ruler. Obviously, historically, we know that while he did unify China, he was pretty much a dictator. But he still goes down in history as someone who ultimately did an important thing.

It’s an old drama and it’s definitely not for everyone and people who are only coming into C-drama now will probably not be able to stomach it, however, I’d still recommend it if you are in the mood for a good cry or if you love Dilraba Dilmurat and Vin Zhang and want to see them in their breakthrough roles…or just want a vintage c-drama, or if you just want to finally check it off your list since the drama community still brings it up all the time.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
A Romance of the Little Forest
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
May 2, 2026
35 of 35 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 9.0
Acting/Cast 10
Music 9.0
Rewatch Value 8.5
This review may contain spoilers

Great Romcom Chemistry Buried Under Too Much Second Couple Screen Time

A Romance of the Little Forest is a cute typical romantic comedy about a cold, dedicated professor and a bubbly fashion blogger with a secret Ph.D. whose paths cross again years after he unintentionally broke her heart.

I think this drama deserves a slightly higher rating than what it's currently sitting at, and I'll tell you exactly why — and where it falls short.

The Leads

If you're not a fan of Esther Yu, this may not be the drama for you. But I like her, and she delivers an amazing, over-the-top, romcom-worthy performance here. Her character Yu Meiren is extremely chaotic, and every single frame she's in is enjoyable if that’s the vibe you’re looking for in a female lead. She's expressive, she's like a little ray of sunshine, and I thoroughly enjoyed her acting even though it's nothing extraordinary in terms of range in this particular drama. She's just perfectly cast for this role.

Vin Zhang as Zhuang Yu delivers a very believable performance of a cold, unapproachable, single-minded man determined to dedicate his life to science. That is, until Yu Meiren enters his life. If you want a male lead with a face card, who does everything for her when he finally comes to terms with his feelings, you are in the right place. He's still one of my favorite male leads in contemporary C-drama despite one writing issue I'll get to in a moment. And this was truly not the character’s fault.

The Romance

This drama is your typical tropey warm-bubbly-female meets cold-unapproachable-male opposites-attract setup. Don't expect anything new or original. However, it's charming, and the first twenty episodes are amazing. There are so many laugh-out-loud moments that you'll want to rewatch them immediately.

The one thing I wish the writers would have done differently is giving the lead couple more episodes together actually *being* in a relationship. It takes them literally thirty-four episodes to get together properly and officially. But that slow burn is also the part that keeps you watching, and we have to wait for that first real kiss until almost the very end. It does not disappoint, however. When it happens, it burns.

The Slump

Things slow down and take a typical C-drama turn somewhere around episode twenty when Zhuang Yu goes abroad to pursue his scientific and academic endeavors, leaving Yu Meiren behind with matters between them unresolved after pretty much leading her on. For the next three to four episodes, things are boring and slow between the lead couple and you just want to skip them because they’re depressing, so I did a lot of skipping. Once he returns and is back in the picture, things pick up again and we get more of the fun stuff.

Here's what bothered me about that stretch though — the situation between Zhuang Yu and Yu Meiren is up in the air, and he doesn't really try hard to reach out to her after he sees she blocked him on WeChat. He doesn't try to contact their mutual friends, her parents, or even email her. It's not like he was sent to a war zone with no reception. After you finish the drama and get to the final episode, it becomes a bit more clear why he did what he did. But as you're watching it unfold in the middle episodes, it's baffling because things between them were heating up and he just left without a word and didn't even attempt to explain himself. This type of behavior is why women will not take men back. This drama is a few years old, so I’m hoping that this is the last time I’m seen this trick writers attempt. It’s really becoming outdated.

Zhuang Yu does redeem himself at the end, but I think this was the only point where his character didn't read very well and I hated him thinking that if I were Yu Meiren, I would never take him back. That feels more like a writing problem than anything else of course — the writers couldn't think of a better way to create conflict. Or explain better or sooner why he didn’t try to contact her.

I also adored Yu Meiren's parents. Her mom definitely added plenty of laughs.


The Second Couple Problem

Now, the biggest flaw in this drama is Li Tiantian and Jin Xi — the second couple. They have equal, if not greater, screen time than the leads. At a certain point, you genuinely can't tell who the main couple is. Perhaps the producers wanted two main couples, but I'll be brutally honest here: while the story for the second couple is meaningful and very well written, and while Ding Guansen delivers great acting, I just didn't feel the chemistry between them. I think if the producers had cast somebody else, it maybe would have worked much better. I believe this is one of the main reasons this drama has a lower rating than most contemporary romcoms — the second couple takes up too much space without delivering the chemistry to justify it.

The entire drama could have been cut down to thirty episodes, if not fewer, and it wouldn't have suffered at all.

On a personal note: I’m noticing, though the writers in the past few years are starting to desert the second couple subplots altogether. Most dramas that do really well concentrate on a single couple and supporting characters have shorter scenes. People who are only now discovering some of these popular actors and watching their older works are probably baffled with the amount of screen time the supporting cast is getting in the older dramas.

Final Verdict

If you don't enjoy the second couple's chemistry and dynamics from the very beginning, just skip their story. Watch A Romance of the Little Forest for Vin Zhang and Esther Yu's super chemistry and some genuinely great laughs. The first twenty episodes are a blast, the romance pays off in the end, and the leads are more than enough to carry this drama — they just needed more room to breathe.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Rattan
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Apr 28, 2026
30 of 30 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 9.5
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 9.0
This review may contain spoilers

Surprisingly Original Sci-Fi Romance With Good Production Value


If you like urban fantasy, Rattan is worth your time.

I will start by saying that Jing Tian and Zhang Binbin are amazing in this modern fantasy romance. This is a story about a young architect who accidentally resurrects a powerful ancient being named Si Teng and gets roped into helping her navigate the modern world, recover her memories, learn how to be a human, and confront a dangerous enemy from her past.

For something that was produced before Covid, this is a visually stunning drama. While there are some very cheesy moments with the alien costumes — and yes, they do get a little weird — the overall CGI and cinematography are genuinely impressive, better than some of the dramas released after 2022. I enjoyed it immensely.

Story & Pacing

This is a love story at its core, but there's a lot more going on around it. If you're here purely for the romance, keep in mind that there are quite a few different characters and subplots woven throughout. If you're not into that style of drama, you'll probably find yourself skipping some moments. That said, even when it dragged in places, I still stayed engaged because I genuinely wanted to know what would happen next with our lead couple. One of the reasons I liked Rattan is because this drama doesn't follow any of the clichés you'd typically see in a C-drama, and that alone kept me hooked. The premise is very fresh and original and that’s part of the charm.

Acting & Romance

The acting was amazing across the board. The romance was great — I just wish we had a little more skinship beyond the couple of kisses we got. You know the drill by now — I always want more.

Yan Fu Rui was an absolute delight of the character. He brought so much comedic relief. There were some scenes where I just couldn’t stop laughing. He deserves a separate shout out.

The soundtrack is also fantastic and complements the tone of the drama really well.

⚠️ Spoilers Below — You've Been Warned

This drama doesn't have a typical happy ending in the conventional sense. The ending is somewhat bittersweet, but I think it makes sense because the characters return to their original form — so for them, this *is* a happy ending. I've heard there's an alternative ending floating around on YouTube, but I couldn't find it, so I have to go with what I watched. It landed for me.

Final Verdict

While the story is somewhat bogged down by a number of draggy scenes, it's still an interesting and original concept with a compelling love story at its core. There are several genuinely heartbreaking moments that will make you tear up. It's absolutely worth watching if you're looking for something in the urban fantasy lane and you like both lead actors. This one surprised me and despite being fairly dated at this point. But I’m on Zhang Binbin binge right now so I stumbled upon it and I don’t regret it.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Twelve Letters
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Apr 6, 2026
12 of 12 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 8.5

A Poignant Story About the Meaning of True Love and Sacrifice


Let me preface my review by stating that you should absolutely watch this drama because Twelve Letters is cinematic storytelling at its best with extremely talented young actors as leads.

Now, I’ll be honest I went to watch Twelve Letters right after I finished watching Generation to Generation mainly because I wanted to see Zhou Yiran in a contemporary role since I liked his acting in GtG. Plus I’m a big fan of Wang Yinglu after When Destiny Brings the Demon.

Twelve Letters is not your typical idol C-drama. This isn’t the glossy, easy romance you might expect from those names because you saw their previous work. In fact, this is not a romance. It’s a story about deep, rooted, selfless love. It’s a raw, brutal, and beautifully honest story of two young people who come from nothing.

The show splits between 1991 and 2026, linked by a mysterious red mailbox. The 1991 storyline with Tang Yi Xun (Zhou Yiran) and Ye Hai Tang (Wang Yinglu) is full of small-town grit: kids with no options, messy families or no family at all, and the kind of violence and neglect you rarely see handled so plainly in mainstream dramas. You watch two damaged people refusing to bend to the circumstances, find warmth in one another, and the heartbreak that follows lands really really hard.

The 2026 timeline is where the mystery unveils for the most part. This is where we find out what happens to the leads in the end. The structure keeps you invested. As future and past characters exchange letters, every letter peels back more of the past and the consequences of this past, and every reveal is tied to real emotional stakes, not just plot twists.

Acting is why I loved this drama. Zhou Yiran and Wang Yinglu bring the kind of depth to their characters even some experienced actors can’t. Their performances are restrained when they need to be and explosive when called for.

The music and cinematography deserve a shoutout too: a haunting score and intimate camerawork that amplify every quiet moment and every gutting scene. Together, these elements build a mood that’s melancholic and foreboding but hopeful.

This is not light entertainment. Expect to cry — maybe more than once. The show refuses to sugarcoat hardship; instead it asks what “love” really means when it’s tested by time, trauma, and impossible choices. It’s about loving someone who isn’t blood, and choosing another person’s peace over your own selfish wants. That thematic maturity is rare for a short web drama and it’s what stuck with me the most.

My one small gripe is the ending. I docked one star only because I wanted a slightly expanded resolution — a little more screen time with the young Tang Yi Xun and Ye Hai Tang. That wish for a fuller warm moment at the end is probably just me wanting to linger a bit longer in the feeling the show created. Still, the finale makes sense for the story they wanted to tell; it’s just lean rather than indulgent.

Bottom line — who should watch it
If you’re after pretty rom-com vibes or expecting the same tone as the leads’ previous romantic roles, this isn’t your pick. But if you want powerful acting, thoughtful storytelling, and an emotional ride that examines love, family, and redemption across time, give Twelve Letters a shot. It’s a heavy, rewarding watch that stays with you after the credits roll.


Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
How Dare You!?
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Mar 3, 2026
32 of 32 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 7.5
This review may contain spoilers

Brilliant Acting and Costumes but Romance Needs More Screen Time

After binge-watching several of Ryan Chang’s dramas in 2025, I was really looking forward to How Dare You?

That trailer looked so promising. But they did us so dirty, including all that romance into the teaser material and not into the actual drama.

The early episodes were great—fast-paced and filled with action, with our leads getting plenty of screen time while pretending to be a couple while doing their shenanigans. However, after episode 10, things started to slow down considerably. Suddenly, supporting characters, who were not all that interesting to begin with, got way too much screen time. Those dragged-out scenes really could have been cut down simply to get the point across and not hog my TV.

I felt like I was watching less of a romance drama and more of a political drama with slight romance 2/3 of the scram a. The leads hardly interacted in the middle stretch of the drama. And there was a considerable lack of romantic situations, which was disappointing since the trailer set up expectations for a lot more romance.

Sure, there were some great emotional moments between our couple—like the intense post library fire scene early in the drama—so it was frustrating when romance took a backseat for many episodes. With all the intrigues and unnecessary character scheming being spoon fed to us as if we couldn’t read between the lines, it felt like those elements could have been implied rather than shown. It seemed like many characters were added just to be killed off.

And yes, be prepared – people drop like flies here. People who waste the screen for the third of the drama. I don’t mind it sometimes when the characters are interesting, but as I’ve said, maybe only one or two were actually interesting.

In the middle, it felt like I was waiting forever for anything to happen again between Xiahou Dan & Yu Wan Yin. They were just going in circles.

Things pick up a little bit in episode 19. Romance picks up in episode 20. Finally.

After episode 25 the plot picks up too and becomes interesting. Episode 30 has some great military action sequence. We get some really cool visuals of Xiahou Dan in disguise. A must rewatch scene right before they take the capital.

The addition of characters like Flower was cute, and I wish she had been introduced earlier. Even though she is not who she is she says. I think she was one of those interesting characters that I like to see in the dramas.

The final seven episodes are mostly satisfying, though the last two dragged a bit. Still, everyone who was still alive had their stories wrapped up reasonably well.

That said, some plot points—like Xiahou Dan's character and the fate of the little crown prince—are frustratingly overlooked. It feels like important elements were introduced but never fully explored. I mean, the guy spent half his life in this world which was mostly hell for him. Why Yu Wan Yin never asked Xiahou Dan about his actual biological son after she found out how long he had been inside the novel world beats me. I think any woman would ask, considering how he treated the boy. Yes, he has his reasons. Yes they showed us what happened in a very quick two second snippet that some may have overlooked, but Yu Wan Yin did not see that snippet. So I’m just wondering whether the writers introduced this bit but then glossed over it. Actually, I don’t think they glossed over it. I think they just ignored it. If you introduce something this difficult, then you need to really close this topic properly.

Another thing I did not really get is why make Xie Yong Er from a completely different world. I just did not see the point. Again if you introduce this bit, explore it better. Otherwise, just make it from the same world as the rest of the characters who transmigrated.

In summary, this is a good drama, but I’ve seen better. The pacing is all over the place, especially in the middle, where side characters take up too much valuable screen time that could have been better spent on the leads. If you're a fan of the lead actors, you will enjoy it, but if you're looking for heavy romance, you'll find How Dare You? May know that satisfy your craving.

I also want to comment on acting in this drama.

Acting here was amazing from pretty much everyone. That includes all the child actors.

Ryan Chang here is on fire. He is one of those versatile actors who really shines no matter what kind of emotion he has to play. But he is particularly good costume dramas. In this drama, his emperor has a unique dark tragic aura, and his performance in emotional scenes adds extra depth that makes you empathize with his character. He is just as good in comedic moments.

I also really enjoyed the soundtrack.

Another thing I really liked is that this is one of probably a few C-dramas where you see both characters with hair undone and without their outwear going too bad. I mean, they literally look like they’re wearing sleepwear and their hair is down. Everyone knows this a unicorn in Asian costume dramas. They also don’t make a fuss about sleeping in one bed. They gotta do what they gotta do so they just do it without being prude about it. Also a unicorn situation.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
To My Beloved Thief
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Feb 28, 2026
16 of 16 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 9.5
Acting/Cast 10
Music 9.5
Rewatch Value 9.0
This review may contain spoilers

A Binge-Worthy Body Swap Plot That Stumbles at the Finish but Remains Enjoyable

The Basics

The plot isn’t groundbreaking. You’ve got your classic romance, a little of comedic relief, and that ever-fun prince-meets-commoner trope, all set against the oh-so-familiar backdrop of palace intrigue and class struggles. The writing doesn’t break new ground; it checks the boxes like every other historical K-drama, and you know what? That’s fine by me!

- What I Liked -

Positive Vibes

Unlike sooo many sageuks where beloved supporting characters drop like flies for the emotional impact, this one keeps things relatively light. There are plenty of uplifting messages, and I genuinely appreciated that most characters managed to survive the chaos.

Body Swap

Here’s something I didn’t expect! Because we actually don’t have any indication that this is fantasy, and there are no other fantasy elements here except for the body swap trope. It’s typically used for cheesy romantic escapades and humor, but here it’s utilized for true character development. This was pretty meaningful use of the trope. Enjoyed it in this drama.

Supporting Characters

Usually, I'm not too keen on a bunch of side characters, but I found myself loving every quirky personality they threw at us. Especially Sin Hae Rim. Plus, it’s a relief to see everyone get a nice wrap-up. Those who need punishment get it—without any of our beloveds biting the dust!

Pacing and Engagement

The drama keeps you coming back for more! Yes, I spotted a few episodes somewhere in the middle, where the pacing kind of wobbles a little, but overall, the pacing was pretty good—until, *sigh*, the last two episodes.

The Romance

You’re going to have to wait until almost last episode for that kiss. But it’s worth it. Romance isn’t slow-burning; it feels more like “we get it, you like each other!” The characters spend plenty of time together, but they just can’t close the deal due to various factors. It’s more of a yearning romance than a sizzling slow burn. The characters like each other early on, they just don’t really reveal their feelings to each other until later into the show. Well, one of them reveals them earlier, but we need to wait longer for the actual closure.

The Not-So-Great Stuff

Before diving into critiques, let’s give a shout-out to the fact that despite being 16 episodes long, the drama doesn't waste our time on unnecessary side stories. It primarily focuses on the leads and their romance—thank you very much! None of those palace discussions from all those unnecessary antagonists. Thank you, but we can understand everything without you guys.

But here comes the bummer: the last two episodes hit a brick wall. Despite building intriguing overall backstory, once the throne situation is wrapped up, the show loses its steam. The pacing stumbles. I found myself rolling my eyes at some unnecessarily drawn-out scenes. And seriously, after all that buildup, we get a rush job on the main couple’s reunion? Just a couple of seconds of a hug? I wanted more than that! Their long journey deserved a grand finale, not an abrupt cut-off. It’s just the entire thing is a little bit anti-climatic.

Let’s talk characters!

Im Jae I was the shining star for me. He is a complex and twisted character who grows immensely during the drama. I rooted for him and sometimes shipped him with Eun Jo. It’s that damn bad boy charm. Unfortunately, she already had someone else she liked. But I wish he would have gotten a love interest too.

On the flip side, Nam Ji Hyun, while talented, doesn’t quite hit the mark in historical settings for me. She was phenomenal in Suspicious Partner, but her looks always dull when she is dressed in historical gowns, and get the matching hairstyle.

Moon Sang Min, on the contrary, was born for historical dramas! He’s got the look and the screen presence. He is still very young, so I’m sure he’s going to get a lot more historical dramas after this role.

Final Thoughts

Despite my nitpicking, the acting was top-notch. The leads delivered strong performances that I couldn’t truly fault—even if I had my personal preferences for different pairings. Overall, To My Beloved Thief might not break new ground, but it offers enough charm to keep you entertained if you are into historical romantic K-dramas and are not looking for anything elaborate.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Princess and the Werewolf
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Dec 13, 2025
30 of 30 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 9.5
Rewatch Value 8.0
This review may contain spoilers

Cute Romance Story That Doesn't Take Itself Seriously with Beauty and The Beast Vibes

"The Princess and the Werewolf" is the perfect drama for those who aren't looking for anything overly extravagant or complicated. As a straightforward, fluffy romantic fantasy, it delivers exactly what you'd expect - a 70% romance, 30% adventure tale that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel.

It's obvious that this drama did not have a huge budget, so the quality of costumes, makeup, and CGI aren’t going to be top-notch here. So I adjust your expectations accordingly.

However, this did not take away from my viewing experience or overall enjoyment.

There were a few things that stood out to me, for better or worse. Like, the camera work had some really strange close-up angles that seemed to be the director's attempt to capture Kui Mulang’s emotions. Since I do have production experience, some of the camera work seemed like it didn't fit in this type of drama or at least in the scenes. But since this only happened a few times, I really do not think that's going to be a detriment for the fans of Chen Zhe Yuan. And let's be honest, most people will find this gem because they have seen something else with him. There aren't any other big names in that drama.

Now, some of the things I really liked is the amount of bare legs we got to see from Qi Pa. It was just hilarious. Or her antics. I thought she was funny and unlike most of the female leads I’ve seen in dramas. It was a little refreshing, to be honest.

The banter between all the characters was super fun, and I loved watching the female lead constantly trying to find her way back home. I think it started to slow down the romance part of the drama at some point. But again, since the drama is only 30 episodes long, it didn’t have enough screentime to get draggy.

I have to admit, I liked the "beast" look over Kui Mulang’s human form. There was just something about that red flag-esque vibe, haha. I also appreciated that Qi Pa kissed both of Kui Mulang’s forms. In a nutshell, this story shows you that looks don't always matter. Or that while you chase after something that may not be real can make you miss out on something that is very real.

Now, I will say, the drama did get a little heavier towards the end, and I was a bit surprised by the writer's decision to kill off one of the side characters. That felt a little brutal, considering the fluffy, feel-good vibe of the first three quarters of the drama. But it wouldn't be a true C-drama without somebody dying, am I right?

At least the story wrapped up with a happy, fluffy ending.

Overall, if you're in the mood for a light, uncomplicated fantasy romance and can look past the questionable CGI, "The Princess and the Werewolf" is definitely worth checking out. Just don't go in expecting anything too elaborate or complex – this one's all about the simple pleasures.

I am also going to add that this drama had a surprisingly great soundtrack. Some of the higher-budget dramas don't have such great music.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
A Journey to Love
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Oct 25, 2025
40 of 40 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 10

A Story About War With A Sprinkle Of Romance And Brotherhood

This has been on my watchlist for two years now. I’ve heard things about the ending and kept don’t put it off. And I honestly wish I didn’t. It’s absolutely worth the watch.

You need to dive into this drama with the right mindset. This is not a drama about love, friendship, or palace intrigue. Sure it has all that but essentially, this is a serious drama about war and sacrifice. Everything that happened in the last 5 episodes was on par with the reality of the war-torn world the characters lived in.

Things I loved: soundtrack, acting, costumes, decent CGI (C-Drama is nowhere near Hollywood level CGI but it’s gotten better in recent years).

There was a lot of character development. Each one had a story to tell and I really liked how the writers did that.

I skip a lot when I watch C-Dramas during lengthy dialogues on monologues from the characters who are not needed at all and don’t bring anything new to the plot. I didn’t skip a single scene here. Which is a sign in itself.

Side note: I wish the romance between main leads wasn’t as tame. Yes, it starts off bold with her pursuing him, but it kind of just dies down real fast and moves on to more serious things. But that’s just me. I am a big believer that if you introduce a strong romance storyline, then you need to give it enough screen time to explore the intimacy in the relationship between the characters. Plus, all the promotional posters of the show and a cover has a couple on it. That sets a certain expectation for me for what the romance is going to be like. I could also be spoiled by too much BL content, haha. They do skinship way better. The kind of romance we had in Till the End of the Moon was actually right up my alley (considering how tame C-Dramas are in general). Dark, delicious, satisfying. But that’s just my personal preference. Others will have their own thing going for them. In the end, it doesn’t really make the show any worse because it is not a historical romance show.

Watch this drama for quality production, acting, fight scenes, awesome characters, poignant story, and amazing soundtrack.

P.S. The ending is actually not as bad if you pay close attention to details. You can take it as what you will. Use your imagination.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Dazzling
1 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Jul 12, 2026
30 of 30 episodes seen
Completed 1
Overall 7.5
Story 6.0
Acting/Cast 10
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 6.0
This review may contain spoilers

Qing Ye isn’t worth Xing Wu’s Love At All

In short: Dazzling is gorgeous production sabotaged by its own abhorrent screenplay.

The female lead, Qing Ye, simply wasn't worth the male lead Xing Wu's endless attempts. I said what I said, and people need to hear me out because I will gladly explain why.

For starters, this drama establishes a highly compelling premise. We follow a city girl forced to relocate to a small coastal town, where she must learn valuable life lessons. There that she crosses paths with Xing Wu — a brilliant young man who dropped out of school despite his exceptional mind and is now working himself to the bone to support his family. He is not at his best in life when they meet, and that's precisely what makes the setup sing. It’s a bit over spoiled good girl/local bad boy vibes. The foundation is chef's kiss. But the script? Absolutely horrendous. The writers managed to do almost everything else right for every other character in the drama, but they completely fumbled the romance and made baffling structural choices that I will never understand. Let's get into it.

Production Quality

Let me give credit where credit is due, because this drama is genuinely beautiful to look at. The camera work is stunning — cinematic, intentional, and atmospheric in a way that makes you feel the salt air and the golden-hour light of that coastal town. Visually, this is top-tier work. The music, while not groundbreaking and not my favorite, lands well in the moments where it counts. It complements the emotional beats. For a drama set in a small seaside town with this kind of coming-of-age energy, the soundtrack does its job.

The cast across the board is solid. Guan Xiao Tong as Qing Ye did really well in her high school years portraying a young girl, and there was a noticeable and impressive shift in the way she portrayed a grown woman — you could feel the maturity settle into her performance. I actually thought Guan Xiao Tong was a new face because I’ve never seen anything with her before. I had to look up her age. She is 28. So that proves that she landed the part of her younger self well. The supporting characters were actually quite interesting to watch. I enjoyed most of them and their stories because they don't hoard the screen. Sure there were some scenes that I did skip, but it wasn’t too much. They only have enough screen time to make the rest of the story meaningful, and that's exactly how it should be done. The contribute without overstaying their welcome. The development of the supporting cast wasn't hurt or hindered by the pacing issues, which honestly makes the main couple's treatment even more frustrating. But I'll get there.

Chemistry

Here's the thing that makes everything else sting even more: Guan Xiao Tong and Li Yun Rui have phenomenal on-screen chemistry. Like, genuinely electric. The kind of chemistry that makes you lean forward in your seat and root for these two idiots with your whole chest. The big issue - and again I will address this - is that writers under utilize that chemistry. The subtle power dynamics, the push and pull, the way they exist in each other's space — it's all there. These two actors did the work. They showed up. They delivered. The camera did the work too. The writers, however, did not match their energy. Not even close. And that's what makes this whole situation so infuriating — because the raw material was right there, and the screenplay just... wasted it.

Pacing

The first 12 episodes are amazing. Full stop. They build a great setup for a small-town romance between young people on the cusp of adulthood. The storytelling is tight, the character introductions are compelling, and I was genuinely invested. Everything was moving. Everything had purpose. I was having a great time. There was a lot of comedy as well which made it a very fun watch.

Then episode 13 happened, and it's like the writers collectively decided to take a nap. The pacing slowed to a crawl — and I mean a painful, excruciating crawl. Every episode between 12 and 25 was a chore to get through. There was no new information, no interesting plot points, nothing to justify why we were still sitting in this era except for Xing Wu’s return to school. It was filler dressed up as storytelling, and I genuinely believe everything that happened in that stretch could have been easily condensed and folded into the first 12 episodes without losing anything of value. We wouldn't have wasted so much precious time in the high school era, and the drama would have been infinitely better for it.

And then we get to the final three episodes, where suddenly the writers remembered they had an entire adult timeline to cover and just hit fast-forward on everything. Years of separation, a reunion, the development of an adult relationship — all crammed into three episodes like they were packing for a flight they were already late for. The whiplash is unreal. We go from 26 episodes of slow-drip high school content to a full-speed sprint through the part of the story that actually matters. The contrast is jarring, and it makes the entire viewing experience feel unsatisfying.

Writing and Arc Distribution

This is where I need to have a serious conversation with whoever greenlit this script structure. I do not understand — and I mean this genuinely — why the writers chose to spend 85% of this drama on the characters' high school years and leave literally three episodes for their adult lives. Who made this decision? What was the logic? Because from where I'm sitting, there is none.

The romance is supposed to be the central pillar of this drama because our main couple gets a lot of screen time. And by a lot, I mean a lot. And yet by choosing to camp out in the youth arc for 25 episodes, the writers ensured that the relationship never actually goes anywhere meaningful. In fact, it regresses. After episode 12, Qing Ye and Xing Wu share fewer and fewer romantic moments as the episodes progress. Their dynamic starts resembling a sibling relationship more than a love story, which is the exact opposite of what should be happening in a romance drama. Before their separation, they don't even share a kiss or express — even vaguely — that the feelings they have for each other are more than pseudo brother and sister and mutual. Because we can tell that Xing Wu liked Qing Ye since early on, but her feelings remain very ambiguous toward him until the day she has to leave.

I also need to address the cousin thing. Why did the writers decide to brand them as cousins at the beginning and have them call each other brother and sister? If they were going for that trope, they needed to explore it more. They needed to show the awkwardness, the realization, the shift. But no. Nobody bats an eye when the two of them suddenly start dating as adults. No one questions it. No one reacts. It's just accepted. So what was the point of establishing that dynamic in the first place? It was a missed opportunity that adds nothing and confuses everything.

Because the writers chose to burn 85% of their runtime in the youth era, the payoff in the last three episodes — when our leads finally meet again as adults — doesn't carry the emotional weight it should. The impact is gone. You can't build longing for 26 episodes and then resolve it in a sprint. That's not romance. That's a scheduling conflict.

The Romance (or Lack of Proper Development Thereof)

Now let's talk about the separation itself, because this is where I truly lost it. First, I hate the separation C-dramas in general because most don’t do it very well. I’ve seen only one drama where the couple separation was meaningful and made total sense and I didn’t skip through any scenes during that separation. But let’s get back on track with Dazzling. The writers build Qing Ye really well up until episode 25 — until her father comes to pick her up and take her back to the big city, back to her luxury life. And what does she do? She deletes their contacts from each other's phones. She just... erases him. I'm sorry, what?

This is extremely selfish and I will die on this hill. Xing Wu was in danger so many times because of her. He carried so much weight on his shoulders while also being there for her. And she didn't even give him the grace of supporting him through the distance. There was absolutely no need for her to delete the contact from his phone and just leave him hanging. The way it comes across is devastating, and not in a romantic way — in an enraging way. She's essentially telling him: "You're too poor for me. My dad doesn't approve of you. You don't have a good family background. But hey, if you try really hard, maybe you'll make it someday — but don't expect me to be there for you while you're killing yourself trying." That is how her character reads. It was selfish. It was mean. It was giving "I only care about you when it's convenient for me." If I were Xing Wu, I would forget about her entirely and get on with my life because oh my God, this poor man deserved so much better than that.

I understand that the writers needed to create a separation, but it was absolutely not believable. They needed high stakes — real, earned, gut-wrenching high stakes — to justify this couple being out of touch for five or six years. I would have believed it if her father paid Xing Wu’s family off and covered all their expenses just so they'd leave her alone. For a guy like Xing Wu, I could see him agreeing to let Qing Ye go so he doesn't hold her back — that tracks with his character. I would have believed a serious argument where they fundamentally disagreed on something. I would have believed an external circumstance. Just not this forced, manufactured separation that the writers clearly cobbled together because they wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get from point A to point B.

So after five or six years apart, they finally meet again. And she doesn't even say two words to him. At the dinner when they reunite, she doesn't offer to catch up after they get out from the restaurant. She just goes home. She gives him absolutely nothing after telling him to do his best to catch up with her. It’s inconsistent with her stubborn and outspoken character at all. Especially because she’s been waiting for him. Then, when they meet at the beach again, he just runs up and kisses her. Yes I could understand him. It does works with his character. But they don't discuss anything. They haven't been talking for five years. How does he know she still likes him? How does he know they're compatible? They've never kissed before! None of this was believable. None of it was earned. The writers skipped the entire reconciliation process and exploration of their romance as adults and just went "trust us, they're in love" and expected us to be satisfied. No. I am not satisfied. I am annoyed.

Li Yun Rui Deserves Better

I need to talk about Li Yun Rui specifically because this man is the reason I kept watching. I really don't want to rate this show low because of him. This very talented actor has been playing supporting roles for so long and is finally getting good-budget dramas, but he just cannot catch a break — much like his character, honestly. He'll get a promising project and then end up with a crappy script, or there's the disaster that was Rebirth. The universe keeps testing this man's patience, and frankly, mine too.

I continued watching Dazzling largely because of Li Yun Rui and his character, and I had to stop and take several days' worth of breaks multiple times just to push through because of the mess of the script. He has a very simple but elegant face, and he could literally fit into any role — contemporary or historical. He is extremely flexible and adaptable, and that's what I appreciate about him. Give this man the script he deserves. Give him a romance where the female lead actually matches his energy. Give him a project where the writers don't fumble in the second half. He's earned it. I'm begging.

Final Thoughts

I'm extremely torn about the rating. This drama is visually gorgeous, well-acted, and carries a genuinely compelling story at its core. The first 12 episodes had me fully invested. Guan Xiao Tong and Li Yun Rui have the kind of chemistry that should have carried an iconic romance. But the distribution of the youth arc versus the adult life and reunification arc makes absolutely no sense. Because we don't have enough episodes of them as adults, everything is rushed into three episodes, and that compression makes everything that happened during the high school years feel less impactful. They're not given any time to actually learn about each other as adults and explore the romance they've been yearning for since they were young.

The writing choices are genuinely baffling. The pacing is wildly uneven. The separation is contrived. The reunion is unearned. And the female lead's actions in the final stretch make her deeply unsympathetic at the exact moment she should be at her most vulnerable and relatable. This drama had every ingredient for greatness — the cast, the visuals, the setting, the premise — and the screenplay just refused to let it be great. I'm still mad about it. I might be mad about it for a while.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?