Quantcast

Details

  • Last Online: 7 hours ago
  • Location: Narnia
  • Contribution Points: 0 LV0
  • Roles:
  • Join Date: September 9, 2025
Completed
My Stand-In: Uncut
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Oct 12, 2025
12 of 12 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 10

Great Character Development

I'll start by prefacing this by the fact that I live in the west and I'm not a 23-year old. My kids could be in college now, so I understand the complexity of human emotions and why things were the way they were in this drama.

For me, this drama was perfect. First part gave us the foundation to build upon. Second part allowed us to see Ming's character development. I adored the chemistry between the lead actors. And Up's acting skills are superb here. If you watch him in Lovely Writer, you'll get what I'm saying. That man is great playing a bottom, but playing a top he is unbelievable. He is not what you would call classically handsome, but with the quality of acting he gave us in this drama, you absolutely do not care about his looks. If you hate his character, it means as an actor he’s done his job well.

I'll probably rewatch in the future. Because I had way too many feels after I finished.

If you're into simple BLs with flat, green flag love interest, then this is not for you. If you're looking for a serious drama with complex, a little morally gray characters with their own faults and want to see proper character ARCs and don't get your panties twisted in a bunch, then this is for you.

I appreciated the writing. One of the better BL's out there. I do think they could have done better job with some of the intimate scenes. But obviously they did not really want to concentrate on that and the chemistry was there regardless.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Early Spring
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
22 days ago
24 of 24 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 9.5
Music 10
Rewatch Value 7.5
This review may contain spoilers

Incredibly Mixed Emotions

The Early Spring leaves me with incredibly mixed emotions. On one hand, the messy secret office romance feels authentic if we don’t count the fact that the lead couple doesn’t even talk. On the other hand, the show is a structural mess with a male lead who is deeply unsatisfying for 95% of the drama.

I want to start with the positive. While the acting isn't mind-blowing, it delivers exactly when it counts during the story's high-stakes emotional peaks. The scenes with Flora and Luke breaking up and trying to divide their dog or the episode with the suicide scene are extremely realistic and honestly had me crying. All actors did fantastic. Additionally, the lead couple has genuinely great chemistry that kept me hooked, which is wild because I’ve never seen either of these actors before. Sun Qian as Flora easily outshone the Jing Bo Ran, holding down the emotional weight of the show. Perhaps it’s also because the show concentrated on her story mostly. But she was very natural and you could actually see the change in her character. Jing Bo Ran as Luke was a great, but I thought that there were some moments where he seemed stilted. And I don’t think they were even the emotional moments.

The interpersonal friction between Flora and Luke isn't just cheap drama tropes—it is an extremely realistic reflection of real-world relationship struggles for a couple with such power dynamics as them. He is the boss. She is an employee. They are both in a very vulnerable situation if they get caught. Show the insecurity was extremely on point. This realism is elevated by exceptionally high production value and stunning cinematography, which beautifully frames the couple's tension during their many intimate moments. I will see if you want to see C-drama with a lot of skinship. And by a lot, I mean A LOT, and you don’t even have to wait for it, then The Early Spring is it.

However, the male lead was truly despicable for the most part of the drama. I actually understood the creator's vision for the romance, but I basically had to guess what they were trying to say. The biggest issue is that Luke is incredibly unappealing because he has the emotional intelligence of a chair. We never got to learn why he was so arrogant and couldn’t express his feelings properly. Yes, his dad is cold, but his mom is very warm, and the drama gives us a mere two-minute explanation of his childhood in the beginning and literally never returns to it. There were also some other events in his past, that were just dangling threads that never got fully explained or resolved like his unsuccessful business. It seemed like it was supposed to lead to something, but it never really did. On top of that, Flora never even meets his parents.

Luke’s entire storyline revolves around being an immature a$$hole and pining after a woman he genuinely likes but can’t say a single nice word to. The breakup was entirely his fault. All he had to do is to tell Florida that he loved her. Who tied his tongue? I couldn’t figure out the reason behind him being such a coward, except that he was just a jerk. The fact that he knew in advance that Flora wasn’t going to receive an award because of the inner company politics and didn’t tell her wasn’t absolute dick move. I do blame her for the fact that she did not confide in him because of her insecurities about her friend’s suicide, So he went off on her, not truly understanding why she was so emotional. She was still probably coming to terms with the fact that her close friend killed himself. This seems to be the pattern with his character. He will do something nice for her, but when it counts, he becomes emotionally unavailable and extremely selfish. By that point, it’s hard to blame her because she has never experienced any kindness from him at the moment when it actually counted.

And honestly, this drama wouldn’t even exist if these two just took a moment to talk about their insecurities and issues upfront. Luke only redeems himself in the final episode because he finally grows a backbone, confesses his true feelings, and treats her right. I think this is one of the reasons why I couldn’t give this drama a higher score. Some people score dramas as low as one or two, but I know how hard the actors and the producers work, so I usually try not to drop below seven and even then for me, that’s barely possible.

The writing choices outside the romance are just as baffling. The drama is set against a strict "no office romance" policy, yet they date secretly for six whole years and we don’t get a single subplot about them dodging coworkers or getting caught. It only comes to fruition at the very end of the drama when the writers need to set up the breakup. Even then, Flora never finds out about Luke’s choice that was aimed to save her place in the company. There is also almost zero humor, making the drag feel even heavier. It falls into that classic, frustrating C-drama format where the backstory consumes three-quarters of the runtime, forcing the creators to wrap up the actual resolution in the final two episodes, which ruins the pacing and makes the ending feel completely unearned. This pacing nightmare makes sense knowing the show was cut by eight episodes, but it severely harmed the romantic payoff. I usually binge dramas, but the execution here was such an exhausting rollercoaster that it took me a whole week to get through 24 episodes that are only 35 minutes each.

Ultimately, despite the solid chemistry between the leads, I still wasn't all that impressed overall. It really made me appreciate masterclasses like Hidden Love or The First Frost so much more. Those two Chinese dramas truly left me impressed because the flawless pacing and the storytelling support each other perfectly, using just enough humor to break down the heavy, sad, and dramatic moments. Unfortunately, The Early Spring missed so many great opportunities to strike that balance. The only saving graces that actually carried me to the finish line were the absolutely amazing soundtrack—without it, I probably wouldn’t have even finished—and Luke the dog, who was easily the best highlight of the entire show and definitely had more emotional intelligence than Luke the mail lead. The music and that dog single-handedly saved this from being a total drop.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Blossoms in Adversity
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Aug 30, 2026
40 of 40 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 10

An Underdog Masterpiece That Defies Typical C-drama Slumps



🌟 My Personal Rating: 10 / 10

Blossoms in Adversity is the ultimate lesson in not judging a book by its cover—or a drama by its trailer. What initially looked like a cluttered family drama with too many distracting side characters turned out to be one of the most cohesive, tightly written, and evenly paced historical dramas I’ve seen in recent years. Instead of losing steam halfway through like most C-dramas do, it builds a rich world where every single character serves a purpose and never loses its pace.

🎭 Core Characters & The Cast

The stellar acting across the board transforms what could have been a repetitive story into a deeply engaging human drama.

Hua Zhi (played by Zhang Jingyi) is the heart of the entire show. Intelligent, outspoken, and incredibly resilient, she evolves from a low-key sheltered noble lady into a powerhouse head of household when tragedy strikes. Watching her get her hands dirty to save her family from starving makes her one of the best independent female leads in Cdrama history.

Gu Yanxi (played by Hu Yitian) is the brooding, lethal commander of the Security Bureau). Driven by family trauma, he starts out on the opposite side of the law from Hua Zhi but morphs into her ultimate partner and protector. His top-notch action scenes contrast perfectly with his gentle warmth toward those he loves.

Shao Yao is Gu Yanxi’s neurodivergent little sister. Her sweet nature, incredible medical knowledge, and pure sisterly bond with Hua Zhi make her an absolute fan-favorite character who showcases great range. After seen several other dramas with Lu Yuxiao, I can confidently say that her acting talent is undeniable.

Xia Jin'e is the sharp, business-savvy third aunt of the Hua family. Her fiery personality and initial complex dynamics within the household add immense flavor to the family's survival story. Her character growth is amazing.

The Emperor is a masterclass in complex, layered villainy. He comes off as someone who truly cares for Gu Yanxi but he is set up as a bad guy from the beginning because Hua Zhi’s family is suffering because of his pettiness. The further into the drama, we go, the more we see that he is paranoid, and demanding nothing less than absolute control, he is the root of the family's ruin and a captivating threat until the end.

There are a lot more characters in they all have a good amount of screen time and mostly all of them have backstories, but they don’t crowd the main story. Audit additionally, there are a lot of child actors in this and they all did such a great job.

📈 What Makes It a 10/10 Masterpiece in my Opinion

From Rags to Riches

The narrative is a deeply rewarding journey of a noble family stripped of everything. Watching the women pick up the pieces after going from riches to rags is what makes it an amazing underdog story. Because the show takes its time early on with the family dynamics, the growth is incredibly satisfying. Nothing feels dragged out; instead, the slow setup provides crucial flavor and weight to their eventual rise. I highly recommend to stick it out first few episodes just so you can get through the exposition.

Mature, No-Misunderstanding Romance for the Main Couple

Blossoms in Adversity has my favorite romance, trope-Enemies-to-Lovers with a Twist. The setup is perfect—Yanxi is the officer who raided Hua Zhi’s mansion under the Emperor‘s command and escorted her family into exile. They are meant to hate each other, yet the drama beautifully subverts this.

The absolute best part of the romance is the complete lack of tedious misunderstandings. Writers give us quality screen time between Yanxi and Hua Zhi. The main couple gets ample scenes together, actively working as a team to stick things out. Even their late-game separation is brief and doesn't drag the show down.

Additionally, there are several more couples in this drama, all with different stories. That are both enjoyable and terrifying to watch.

There’s zero "Middle Slump" writing

Unlike other C-dramas that stall in the middle by giving bloated screen time to annoying side characters, Blossoms in Adversity maintains an even, steady stride. The side characters don't distract from the main plot. Their individual stories are intricately woven into the main narrative, making the entire world feel alive, vibrant, and essential to the plot.

Elite Action Choreography

For a drama deeply rooted in family and business, the action sequences are spectacular. The fight scene in Episode 35 stands out as a stunning masterpiece. It is expertly choreographed, looks highly realistic, and provides a powerful, high-stakes anchor for the final arc. I personally think that Hu Yitian is staining in this drama for his action scenes he fully embodies the character.

Amazing Music

The music score and the songs in this drama are amazing. I think they make the drama what it is. The action scenes and the emotionally important scenes all have fitting soundtrack that adds emotional weight.


📝 Verdict
If you are hesitant because Blossoms in Adversity looks like a slow, crowded family drama, give it a chance. It completely avoids the dreaded "middle slump," trades toxic relationship angst for healthy communication despite a very star-crossed lovers coded set up, and delivers exceptional action alongside a heartwarming story of resilience. A true 10/10 gem for me.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Princess Royal
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Mar 26, 2026
40 of 40 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 9.0
This review may contain spoilers

Surprisingly Good Palace Intrigue Drama with Great Characters

I must be honest: I do not like palace-intrigue historical C-dramas unless there is a decent amount of fantasy elements or romance takes up over 60% of the plot. That’s my baseline.

I started The Princess Royal several times but couldn’t get past episode 1. Now that I have finally finished it, I don’t understand why I couldn’t continue earlier. Maybe it’s because I went into it after watching xianxia—xianxias and historicals have a very different vibe. So perhaps the switch from one subgenre to another did not work at a time.

But this drama actually surprised me in a good way.

Production values and action

- Very high budget production. Everything from the costumes to the fight choreography felt top notch.
- I particularly liked the action scene in the first episode and there was a stunning sequence in the last episode.

There were additional strong action beats in between, but those two stood out.

Plot (brief, non-spoilery recap)

I’m not the kind of person to recap the plot — most people reading reviews already know the premise. They basically want to know if the drama is worth watching. But for anyone who doesn’t: it’s a story about a married couple (who die) traveling back in time to the period before they got married. They get a second chance at life and must decide whether to repeat the same path or choose something else.

Pacing and storytelling

If you like palace intrigue, it’s absolutely worth watching — one of the better ones I’ve seen. The story moves pretty fast in terms of development. Yes, there are long dialogue-heavy scenes, but they don’t drag the plot. Most of them are fairly meaningful and easy to watch. There were only a handful of draggy scenes toward the end, but not nearly as many as in other historical dramas I’ve seen.

Acting and characters

The acting is superb. I particularly liked Zhao Jin Mai in this role. I didn’t like her in Shine on Me — she wasn’t convincing in that one for some reason (maybe direction). In The Princess Royal she was perfect.

There’s a love-triangle situation that settles halfway through. The tension between Pei Wen Xuan and Su Rong Qing is amazing and holds up until the end. This is one of those rare dramas where the tension between male characters vying for one woman is convincing and the second male lead doesn’t just exist for a trope — he has meaningful presence and development and actually is a worthy opponent.

A lot of characters were interesting and had good storylines. That’s rare for me in historical dramas; I usually skip a lot when it comes to supporting characters, but I didn’t here.

Lead couple: Li Rong and Pei Wen Xuan

Their relationship is complicated because they lived as half-enemies in the previous life—existing on opposite edges of the same circle. In their second life they get a chance to change things. The dynamic is enemies-to-lovers at first: they bicker, scheme against each other, and then marry again because despite their animosity they love each other deep down. Even if they don’t understand it just yet. Their relationship gets crazy and toxic, and very sweet eventually.

I liked the power dynamics a lot. Li Rong is a princess who’s a force to be reckoned with and is the dominant one in the relationship from the beginning and throughout.

Pei Wen Xuan isn’t always the guy to save the girl. She saves him plenty of times too. He’s shown vulnerable in many scenes (the punishment scene at his family’s place, fainting in the court session), though he still saves her too and gets injured doing so.

The best part I liked about his character is that he has learned his past life mistakes. He lets Li Rong take the lead often; he saves her but also allows her agency. I liked that balance.

Palace intrigue and supporting arcs

Reason why I said that this drama surprised me a lot being the palace intrigue drama is because romance is not as prevalent in here as I would like. It seems to be woven evenly into the main story arc which involves the struggle between the noble families and people who are opposing them. Despite my occasional dislike of palace intrigue, I liked the way it was handled here.

Many supporting characters and their storylines were compelling — a rare win for a historical for me.

Around episode 30 the emperor’s character/background comes in heavily, which is where many C-dramas suffer with long torturing scenes that could be trimmed. This drama does have some of that, but it isn’t as bad as usual.

Episode 33 has pretty sick plot twists that help keep the pace going.

Favorite scenes/episodes

Episode 20: the sequence where Pei Wen Xuan catches Li Rong in the flower field — I watched that sequence and the minutes before it several times. The cinematography and the execution and direction are amazing.

Episode 23: the banquet hall performance between the royal siblings, Su Rong Qing and Pei Wen Xuan — stunning.

First episode action and the stunning sequence in the last episode (already mentioned) are also standouts.

Specific dislikes/emotional beats

I hate how Su Rong Qing’s confession affected Li Rong after the cliff fall. It’s understandable Li Rong reacted that way after learning who truly killed her, but it was disheartening to watch her determination to care for her little brother disappear. I’m glad that in the end she allowed herself to believe in humanity again.

Ending and final impressions

The last three episodes were pretty good, with the exception of a couple of draggy scenes — but those dragged scenes made sense because they focused on major characters.

Bonus: it’s a happy ending. Characters who had tragic or sad outcomes in the previous life get good lives and good endings this time. Everyone gets what they want and what they deserve.

If you like historical female-centric dramas, palace intrigue, and are a fan of the actors, this is a pretty good watch.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Moonlight Mystique
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Nov 22, 2025
40 of 40 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 10

Amazing Soundtrack and Graphics

Bai Lu is one of my favorite C-drama actresses. Her acting is mature and emotional, and any drama she's in, I'm always adding it to the list. Moonlight Mystique is no exception.

First of all, I was very impressed with CGI quality. It was off only in a couple of places toward the end but otherwise very even throughout all the episodes. The sets were also beautiful along with costumes and makeup.

The music was amazing. It added an extra layer to an already very emotional story.

As far as characters go, I loved that each one had a backstory, and all of the stories were interesting. In a long drama, it's almost inevitable for me to skip scenes, many times bogged down with long dialogues and random characters, but in this drama everyone's scenes were beautiful and meaningful. I appreciated that.

I also liked that we didn't have too many exposition episodes and got right down to business.

ROMANCE (mild spoilers below)

I think for the first time in history of watching C-drama I actually liked a second CP and was just invested as into the lead couple. Also toward the end of the series, I started to guess what the true purpose of Fu Ling's character was. Honestly, when my guess came true, I was heartbroken.

Main couple had a very healthy relationship, if not a little boring. I think what really made them shine was obvious chemistry and the things they would do for each other. I enjoyed watching that. They had a lot of beautiful scenes together. I do think that Fan Yue's character started strong but became too soft. Still, the actor was made for this role. He needs more roles in xianxias and wuxias. He rocked all those outfits. Plus, his development aligned with his character's arc.

I also think Chang Hua Sen needs proper lead roles moving forward. I really liked him in Journey to Love. He was a little unhinged there. And here too, at the end. But the man can act.

I do think that it was a little unfair to the second couple for them to end up the way they did. I think they deserved a better ending. However, if that's the source material, I won't argue. Let's put it this way--I've seen better fantasy, but I also was very impressed with the quality of music, sets, costumes, story, and acting in this one, so I am not going to take off any rating. As far as watching for pleasure to relax (and that's why I watch), this was one of the better ones I've seen this year.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
ABO Desire
0 people found this review helpful
by Nat
Oct 12, 2025
16 of 16 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.5
Story 9.5
Acting/Cast 9.5
Music 9.0
Rewatch Value 9.0

I appload everyone involved for pulling this off

Is this show perfect? No. Is this one of the best BLs out there? Also, no. But despite all this, I applaud to everyone involved, especially lead actors for taking the risk to get this project done. And trust me when I say it's risky, I mean. I'm from the country with the same views on queer content as China. So, I'm not going to b**ch on here why the drama lacked. I'm an older viewer and writer of queer content and even the west hasn't dared to adapt decent queer literature for TV, let alone an omegaverse source material. And we don't lack the material. Trust me. Tons of books to choose from to adapt.

So, I simply will say this, just watch it, enjoy the chemistry between actors and the magic and stop looking for things to neatpick. I don't know if there rumours are true and we'll see more projects from the sisters or the CPs, but I do hope so.

I've never been this happy to watch a queer C-drama sinceThe Untamed. And even then, they really did us dirty with the adaptation by turning it into something it was not.

P.S. I will probably rewatch this in the future. And I do not rewatch the shows or re-read the books with rare exceptions.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?