K-Drama
This review may contain spoilers
A Masterpiece That Fumbled Its Final Sprint
I have so much to say about this drama, but I will try to keep it brief. Moli had all the ingredients to be, by far, THE drama of the year. For a huge chunk of the series, it was genuinely funny, the characters were insanely well-written, and the leads shared incredible chemistry. But then, it fumbled. The last 6–7 episodes completely lost momentum, and it felt like the writing lost track of its own purpose.What drew me in initially was that, for the first time, we had a female lead whose vengeance wasn't just a side plot, it was her life's mission. She was actively working to destroy the lives of the people who hurt her, and I loved her for it. Her character had so many dimensions, and the inclusion of her schizophrenia was handled with insane nuance.
As for the Male Lead, he wasn't just a green flag at first, he was the entire forest. He was deeply supportive, gentle, and understanding. He was there for her whenever she needed him, and together, they allowed each other to feel loved again after their respective tragic pasts. Their relationship felt so mature that I was completely invested.
...Until he had his little over-the-top dramatic moment and divorced her. I might have accepted that plot point with any other FL, but not when he knew exactly how sick, lonely, and incapable of being by herself she was. Out of nowhere, he has a mental breakdown, decides he can't live without her, finds out she is schizophrenic, and then runs to the mountains for a redemption arc. The fact that she forgave him instantly, seemingly not even remembering that he had completely let her down, felt incredibly sad. The audience was left holding the resentment she couldn't. It was obvious the divorce arc was just a cheap excuse to get him into the mountains, but it could have been handled so differently.
After that shift, the spark vanished. I don't know if it was because of the betrayal, or because their relationship suddenly felt like siblings. The plotline with the aphrodisiac incense gave me a total ick. Why does a husband need a chemical gimmick to sleep with his wife if they are supposedly madly in love? I know historical dramas love this trope, but here it felt regressive; he was practically hiding and incapable of just approaching his own wife. They randomly stopped having chemistry, a problem made worse by choppy editing. It felt like many kissing scenes were cut, leaving us with jarring jumps from one scene to the next.
By the end, the writers fell into the classic trap: they traded her agency for a "happy ending." Turning a fierce, independent woman who survived absolute horror into a passive figure who just watches her husband run her dream academy completely defeats the purpose of her arc. Peace doesn't have to mean powerlessness, and the show forgot that.
Overall, I am still happy with the drama's success, even if certain things could have been much better. The leads did a fantastic job. I normally hated the ML's acting in The Legend of the female general, and I couldn't even finish Story of Kunning Palace because of Bai Lu and Zhang Linghe’s acting. However, I was pleasantly surprised here. It just goes to show that sometimes actors don't need to change, they just need a great director to pull out a nuanced performance.
Moli is a great ride that unfortunately traded its boundary-breaking agency for lazy, safe clichés at the finish line, but it remains a testament to what good directing can achieve.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Fast-Forwarded to the Finale: Why Road to Success Couldn't Keep My Interest
I ended up dropping Road to Success around Episode 26 and jumped straight to the finale just to see how it concluded. While the initial setup: a sports-meets-healing story centered on a high school football team had promise, the execution quickly lost momentum and became a chore to watch.Key Takeaways:
Zero Lead Chemistry: The romance felt forced and awkward; I couldn't ship them at all.
Bland Character (Wang Fa): As the male lead, Wang Fa was just too dry and uninspired to root for or keep things interesting.
Forgettable Side Characters: The kids' backstories were generic, making it impossible to care about the team.
Esther Yu: She just needs a good director to tone down the ridiculous acting. When that happens, she’s actually really enjoyable to watch and easily the best part of the show.
Ultimately, Road to Success suffers from a pacing drag and a formulaic plot that fails to deliver on both the sports motivation and the romance. It reflects a broader trend of recent C-dramas relying on strong baseline premises but failing to maintain engaging character dynamics or original writing over a full episode run.
Was this review helpful to you?
1