Quantcast

Details

  • Last Online: 14 hours ago
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Dramaland
  • Contribution Points: 1 LV1
  • Roles:
  • Join Date: April 5, 2019
  • Awards Received: Boba Brainstormer1
Completed
Soundtrack #2
2 people found this review helpful
Dec 24, 2023
6 of 6 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 8.0

Third time is the charm.

If the first Soundtrack story was a beautiful love story about two friends falling in love, then Soundtrack #2 it's a bittersweet melody about two people who can't seem to get it right. Not matter how much you care for someone, sometimes love isn't enough and you have to let time and space give you perspective to understand why things didn't work out with that person.

Some couples have to try hard at their relationship. It may be because of different upbringings, POV on life or individual issues. No relationship it's perfect, timing can be tricky and life make things difficult. The characters own personal issues also stand in their way but the important thing to take from this love song it's that when you find the person who makes you happy, you try to make it work until the very end. Even if it takes two or three times. Even if it means letting them go more than once.

The Soundtrack Anthology remains one of the best productions coming from South Korea and I hope that we get many more stories from this world.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Romance of Tiger and Rose
2 people found this review helpful
Jul 16, 2020
24 of 24 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.0
Story 7.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 6.0
Rewatch Value 8.0

Entertaining and fun drama!

A historical drama with a twist: it imagines ancient China as a matriarchal society. The Romance of Tiger and Rose is set in the fictional city of Huayuan, where women rule, command armies and hold public office. They even pass their family names on to their children. On the other hand, male characters aren’t allowed to pursue their studies or careers; instead, they’re to be obedient and virtuous, and dream of meeting a woman who will sweep them off their feet and into a life of domestic bliss.

Meanwhile, the neighbor and rival city, remains a patriarchal society where women are to study decorum, stay silent, do what husband’s tell them, take care of the house, children and parents. As a result, the problems that arise in this city sound familiar: young people prefer to stay single or ask for a divorce within a year after getting married, and birth rates drop. Their government even debates, at on point, a marriage law and if citizens don’t comply then they would get fined or even go to jail.

The drama is clearly trying to get through a point and it’s not surprise that gender issues, which are being largely talked about and challenged in contemporary China, are showing up in Dramaland.

An interesting premise but the drama does not analyze this matters, preferring exposition and gender bender hilarity to make a point about equality between men and women. Still, the issue is right there staring at you and impossible to ignore since it makes all the difference about the lives and interactions of the leads, which are -of course- each from one of these cities.

Since this is about a screenwriter getting trapped in the drama she wrote, the story also gets meta at times. Right down with leading lady calling the most prestigious storytellers of the city to a “writer’s room” where they talk about how to change the story and they end up debating all the usual drama troupes, ship wars and more. It was definitely my favorite running joke in the show.

Still, I had a great time with this absolutely charming and lighthearted drama. Kudos to Zhao Lu Si and Ding Yu Xi for their work as leads, their chemistry was fun, sweet and off the charts. The secondary cast does an amazing job, particularly Wu Yijian and Liu Shuyuan, who played the respective loyal right hands of each lead and were hilarious at it.

I recommend it!

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
My Journey to You
1 people found this review helpful
8 days ago
24 of 24 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 5.0
Story 5.5
Acting/Cast 7.0
Music 6.0
Rewatch Value 4.0

All vibes, no substance

I finished My Journey to You this morning, and while I knew going in that the ending had left a lot of viewers dissatisfied, I honestly didn’t expect it to be this bad.

For most of the drama, I was completely seduced by its atmosphere. The cinematography, production design, costumes, music, and overall aesthetic are gorgeous. It has this dark, dreamlike quality that makes almost every scene feel like a painting. There is clearly a very strong visual sensibility at work here.

My Journey to You often feels like it has been built around vibes rather than substance.

Guo Jingming clearly knows how to create an image, a mood, a character entrance, a beautiful tableau. But the further the story progresses, the more I found myself asking: Where is all of this actually going? The drama introduces intriguing characters, complicated relationships, mysterious factions and plenty of potential for a genuinely compelling story, but too much of it remains underdeveloped or sacrificed for atmosphere.

The ending is where that becomes impossible to ignore. It doesn’t feel like a conclusion so much as the story simply stopping. After investing so much time in these characters and their conflicts, I wanted some sense of narrative payoff, emotional resolution, or at least a coherent direction. Instead, I was left with more questions than satisfaction, and not necessarily the good kind of questions.

What makes it particularly frustrating is that I can see the drama’s potential. There are moments when it feels like it could have been something truly special. The world is fascinating, the visual identity is distinctive, and several of the characters are genuinely compelling. But beautiful imagery can only carry a story so far.

This is actually my first work by Guo Jingming, either as writer or director, so I’m curious to see something else of his before deciding whether this particular combination of style and storytelling is representative of his work.

For now, though: My Journey to You is one of those dramas where I admired what I was looking at much more than I was satisfied by what I was watching.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Let's End Our Friendship Now
1 people found this review helpful
Aug 9, 2026
7 of 7 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 4.5
Story 5.5
Acting/Cast 5.0
Music 4.0
Rewatch Value 4.0

A cool premise that needed to move along

Let's End Our Friendship Now starts with an interesting setup and the kind of messy relationship dynamics that made me think this could turn into a really entertaining little jdrama. Unfortunately, for a story that is only seven episodes long, it sure knows how to drag its feet. The biggest problem is pacing. There is potential here, but some of the developments feel stretched rather than genuinely explored. Seven episodes should be more than enough to tell a tight, engaging story.

I watch this jdrama as it aired and I think this might have worked much better as a binge watch. Watching the episodes back-to-back could make the slower pacing feel less noticeable and give the story a better sense of momentum. As a weekly watch, though, the gaps between episodes make the dragging even more apparent.

It's not a bad drama by any means. The premise and chemistry between the leads are genuinely good, and there are enough interesting dynamics to keep you curious about where things will go. I just wish the writing had trusted its own premise a little more and moved the story forward instead of circling around it.

A promising premise, seven episodes, and somehow still not enough momentum. This is probably one of those dramas that might be better consumed in one sitting than experienced week by week. So, now that the the entire jdrama is available on Viki, future audiences might enjoy it more than me.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Colony
1 people found this review helpful
Jul 28, 2026
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 7.0
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 9.0
Rewatch Value 8.0
Yeon Sang-ho's Colony proves that he still knows how to reinvent the zombie genre. While it shares the claustrophobic tension and relentless pacing that made Train to Busan so memorable, Colony carves out its own identity with an unsettling new take on infected creatures that evolve, communicate, and hunt with terrifying intelligence. The action is intense, the creature design is genuinely creepy, and the film rarely lets the audience catch its breath.

What surprised me most, however, wasn't the horror. In a genre that often sidelines female characters, Colony gives them the emotional core of the story. Jun Ji-hyun delivers a commanding performance as Se-jeong, portraying a heroine who is intelligent, resourceful, and resilient without ever feeling invincible. She's joined by equally memorable female characters who each contribute to the group's survival in meaningful ways. Rather than existing as damsels in distress or supporting figures, the women are problem-solvers, protectors, and emotional anchors whose decisions genuinely shape the narrative.

The film isn't perfect. Some supporting characters could have benefited from more development, and the emphasis on relentless action occasionally comes at the expense of deeper emotional moments. Still, the suspense is consistently gripping, the set pieces are inventive, and Yeon Sang-ho once again demonstrates why he's one of the most exciting filmmakers working in the zombie genre today.

If you're looking for a zombie thriller with creative ideas, pulse-pounding action, and female protagonists who stand out through their intelligence, courage, and determination, Colony is an easy recommendation. It doesn't try to be another Train to Busan, it evolves into something uniquely its own.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
True Beauty: Before
1 people found this review helpful
Sep 28, 2025
Completed 0
Overall 5.0
Story 5.0
Acting/Cast 4.0
Music 5.0
Rewatch Value 5.0

I am so angry.

The japanese version of True Beauty lacks the unhinged and hilarious camaraderie from the original korean version, which it's a bummer because the friendship among the kids and how the leading lady learnt to love herself thanks to their support it was one of the best parts of the story. Instead, this version decided to put the emphasis on the romance and love triangle, which was incredibly unnecessary considering the actors got barely any chemistry together.

The family dynamics were not only toned down but changed (as I am finding it's the usual move in a jdrama adaptation of a kdrama) and I wish they wouldn’t have. One of the main conflicts' in the original story, it's the FL's relatioship with her mother and the way people were constantly comparing her older sister. None of this happens in the movie, so other than the external conflict of bullying, there's no inner development to be resolved. Which, by the way, it's another thing they changed: the bullies in this are a tenth of the original and there's no confrontation or consequence to their actions.

All of this changes meant that there’s almost no comedy in this rom-com. It's just a romance about a girl who one day found out make up and it made her feel pretty.

Koki looks like a deer caught in the headlights all the time, I don't know if this was a script change or the director's fault but it's like he very loved female lead of the original True Beauty had a lobotomy. And as I much I appreciate Watanabe Keisuke, he had no business playing a high schooler when he is thirty. I'm sorry but this was not good. Miyase Ryubi has a random cameo/guest role in this, and honestly? They should have swap him for Watanabe. Maybe we would have a more compelling love triangle

It does have some nice moments, Tsuna Keito and Sato Jiro being the highlights, but that's about it.

PART 2 REVIEW: https://kisskh.at/profile/namjhyuns/review/497372

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Love Untangled
1 people found this review helpful
Sep 1, 2025
Completed 0
Overall 6.0
Story 6.0
Acting/Cast 6.0
Music 6.0
Rewatch Value 6.0

Wholesome!

The best part of this film was the friends group, whom are literally the definition of "ride or die". Every scene with the entire group was always fun, wholesome and even endearing. There's another good point: a surprising cameo from two big actors that I would have never expected to show up in this film. Ever.

Apart from that, the story is okay and well developed but there are certain points that remain unresolved by the end of the film that I would very much like to know since they are source of angst. Shin Eun Soo keeps growing as a leading lady and Gong Myung delivered, as per usual, but it was really hard to ignore he's a 31 year old man playing a high schooler. Especially, when the rest of the cast is in their early twenties.

This is a good movie to enjoy on a rainy day with some popcorn and just disconnect from the outside world.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Ameku Takao's Detective Karte
1 people found this review helpful
Aug 9, 2025
9 of 9 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 7.0
Rewatch Value 6.5

Doctor Ameku's detective agency

It's been a while since I had so much fun with a jdrama.

Every member of the cast was great, playing each respective character perfectly, delivering great comedic timing in contrast with some more serious and deadpan performances. They all had fire chemistry together. Particularly the leads, Hashimoto and Miura, who played off each other with ease in every scene they shared.

Although, some developments (such as hospital politics) were kinda predictable, the real fun was on each medical mystery, that played as a Sherlock Holmes cast. Sometimes to shocking turn of events.

Much of the comedy lives or dies with the editing, and thankfully this drama understands this and does a terrific technical job on it.

This was the perfect drama to unwind from stress and go with it. I really, really liked this story. And I am kinda hoping for a second season, if possible.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The First Frost
1 people found this review helpful
Jul 17, 2025
32 of 32 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 9.0
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 10
Rewatch Value 8.0

The importance of being earnest.

I admit I had high expectations for this drama. For starters, I really love Zhu Yi, the author of the original source material. She has a way of writing really beautiful stories about love and growing pains, that touch on subjects such as loneliness, self-love, friendship and overcoming society's prejudices in contemporary China, without making the characters' realities too harsh and cold. In her stories there's always room for hope and change.

Adding to this, I already knew Director and screenwriter Chu Yu Ning thanks to his impeccable work in the classic romcom It Started with a Kiss (and its sequel). So, I knew not only he would do an outstanding work but the team that he would bring to for this adaptation would be up to the highest standards. Finally, when it was announced Bai Jingting and Zhang Ruonan would be starring as Sang Yan and Wen Yifan, I knew this would be probably one of the best dramas of the year. I was right.

The First Frost is a beautifully shot story about two people loving each other unconditionally because they share a deep understanding of whom the other person is, and accept them with flaws and all. Sang Yan and Wen Yifan were never friends, they were always meant to be more, and their relationship is certainly based in a partnership of equals that respect each other. And because of this, they are able to navigate natural feelings in life such as heartbreak and fear of abandonment, and other more harsh situations such as overcoming childhood trauma and parents' neglect.

Every character in this drama was casted perfectly and all the actors brought their A+ game. Even when I fundamentally disagreed with some characters, such as Yifan's mother, the character and story building made me understand she was product of society and her environment, but I give props to The First Frost for delivering one of the most satisfying resolutions to this particular storyline. For too long we have been characters narratively forced to forgive neglecting or downright abusive parents, Wen Yifan said we are doing things differently from on.

There's a lot of value and importance in what The First Frost has to say about women's experiences through life, and how much we need positive people (of all genders) around us. Sang Yan is not perfect but he certainly is an ideal that we should aspire to, particularly the men. Yifan's journey was to learn that you don't need to be healed in order to receive love from others. Or, perhaps even more importantly, to love yourself.

Absolutely recommend watching this drama that delivers a powerful message through great character building, a compelling narrative, superlative soundtrack and writing.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Aoshima-kun Is a Bully!
1 people found this review helpful
Apr 15, 2025
9 of 9 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 5.0
Story 5.0
Acting/Cast 6.0
Music 4.0
Rewatch Value 4.0

I liked it.

This was a very lovely drama about a romance between two co-workers who start as fake relationship for one day, only to become friends and slowly starting to fall in love. The biggest hurdle, in their relationship, I would say it's their age difference but the open communication and maturity from both of them, makes it easy to work things out any issues.

I like Yukino as a leading lady. I particularly like that she knows herself and it's aware of her shortcomings and strengths. She's also older and experienced, so while Yukino dreams of romance she has her feet on Earth and understands the realities of relationships and love.

Aoshima as a leading man is fun because of his confidence on his love for Yukino but he's also aware enough to have moments of doubt, not about her but about how to approach the relationships and I think that's quite relatable.

One of the small treats from Aoshima-kun wa Ijiwaru is finding out its the sister drama to The Reason We Fall In Love, as it takes place in the same world and even company,

Overall, this was a sweet and short drama to watch if you are looking for something calming.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Glory
1 people found this review helpful
Apr 13, 2025
30 of 30 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.5
Story 7.0
Acting/Cast 8.5
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 4.0

A good revenge story

The Glory certainly knows how to hook you in.

The production design is damn good. Although the drama doesn't name in which dynasty it takes place but from everything you can see from the clothes to the set pieces and locations, it's clearly the late Ming Dynasty. A really important point of the story that confirms this, it's the subplot regarding a powerful eunuch. The Ming Dynasty was known for how Eunuchs gained unprecedented power over state affairs. The fact the main story of The Glory centres, in part, on the aftermath of capturing all the followers of a powerful Eunuch who angered the Emperor, confirms this is the late period of this particular dynasty.

The cinematography outstanding. I love it when a drama uses light and shadow narratively, to expand the inner turmoils of a character's emotions, this is particularly effective when you are trying to destroy your entire family from within the darken rooms and hallways of their mansion on a bloody, snowy winter. This also makes The Glory a really pretty drama to watch.

Narratively speaking, the drama relies on short and exciting highs and plot twits to capture the audience's attention. Especially as it builds up to capture the root of the family's inner problems. This means as a whole, The Glory might not be as cohesive but overall very entertaining.

As for the performances, this is only the second time I have seen Chen Du Ling in a tv show or film and I am impressed with her. I think she has a talent to captivate trough her performance, no matter if she has to be calm and collected, or screaming bloody murder.

This was also my first time seeing a drama starring Xin Yun Lai and ,to be honest, it was rather disappointing. I am not sure if there was a particular description in this scripts or a director's decision but the he was simply emotionless 95% of the time, which made it very hard to connect with his character or even understand why should I even care for his revenge story. There's being poker faced, and then there's this. And this is not good.

In stark contrast, our main villain and the other family members are outstanding. Yu En Tai (FL's father) absolutely devoured this role by playing meek and slowly but surely showing his true colours; Wen Zheng Ron (FL's mother) is a goddamn shakespearean actress trained to perform in this kind of story as if she was born for the role; and Wan Yan (Concubine Zhou) was a wonder to watch as she moved swiftly among the many traps put in place by our lead.

Overall, I would recommend The Glory for most of the performances, the entertaining and production value.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
A Familiar Stranger
1 people found this review helpful
Mar 11, 2025
18 of 18 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.5
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 7.0
Rewatch Value 6.0

A really good mini drama

I am not the person that wants dramas to be longer, ever, but A Familiar Stranger is the exception. I liked everything about this drama, from the story to the characters, and I wish I could have had more time in this world.

For starters, the camera work and storytelling was really good and when I found this drama is from the same director as last year's hit cdrama Blossom, it all made sense. The cinematography, the way the production design, costume design, make up and character development are all connected in a cohesive way to tell the story, it's wonderful to watch.

The performances are really good and the cast's chemistry solid. One of the reasons why I would want this drama to be longer is because I would have love to see a more extended character development for each characters, as the resolution to the villain's story seemed rushed. I would have also loved to see more of the leads' love story and their found family.

Overall, this was a really good and fun watch for the weekend.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Serendipity's Embrace
1 people found this review helpful
Aug 14, 2024
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 6.0
Story 6.0
Acting/Cast 7.0
Music 6.0
Rewatch Value 4.0

Short and sweet

This was a perfectly fine drama full of very easy to like characters who had confidence in themselves and others. Because of this, I think the strongest part of Serendipity's Embrace are the friendships and family relations, giving us a glimpse at how the people we choose are a fundamental part of how we deal with life.

The friend group was particularly special and wonderful to watch, and I loved to see a healthy portrayal of women supporting each other and, also, the possibility of being friends with the opposite sex without any romantic entanglement.

Story-wise this was a very sweet and stress free romance but I do think it wasted too much time on the flashbacks to the leads' high school days to establish their "strong connection". I get it, they were meant to be even back then but I am far more interested in their relationship now as adults than days and opportunities already gone.

That said, I was a little disappointed in the use of mental health issues to excuse bad behaviour or troupes that belong in the 2000s, were we left them for good reason. All of these are embodied in one particular character that we could have done without.

So if you are looking for a short and sweet kdrama to pass the time, this is it.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Double
1 people found this review helpful
Jul 22, 2024
40 of 40 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 7.0
Story 7.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 5.0
Rewatch Value 4.0

What was that ending???

For starters, this was a great watch. The production value was outstanding, the clothing design beautiful and the performances exactly what you want from this kind of revenge story, which is subtle and over the top at the same time, somehow. The music and editing could be better but they didn't stop me from enjoying this drama.

The main characters are smart, deadly and flirty. Their friends and family members a perfect fold for their cunning ways.

Wu Jin Yan and Wang Xingyue have an explosive chemistry. It's unreal. Every scene they had together got me giddy with excitement.

The villains were not your typical and I found myself equally invested in the part they had to play in this story. Their ending was befitting to their respective arcs and retribution sweet.

It's my first time watching a drama where Li Meng stars in but I am damn impressed by her. She's a powerhouse and I will be looking forward to her future projects.

This is also the kind of drama where nobody is safe and I commend the scriptwriter for going there when so many other don't. That said, if you are going to kill a major character, you can't have a lukewarm resolution.

I have spent the better part of the last hour reading and watching every interview the director, cast and crew gave about this drama because when I finished it watching I was pissed.

This might be controversial because I know this is a well loved drama, hell, I loved watching this drama but what was the director thinking changing the script of the final episode and leaving the story as an open ending? Viewers spent 40 episodes, invested in this characters, hoping for them to have a happy ending, only to be met with a final scene that can be interpreted as reality or wishful thinking. Leaning more on the latter.

A revenge story it's not something you leave open ended. And, yes, I know there's an epilogue and I think it should be part of the final episode not something you release just in case fans might be angry at what you did. This is so unserious, I am lacking words.

This drama was a solid 8 for entertainment and production value until that ghastly final scene, forcing me to drop a full number. They should have known better... and they did. Why release an epilogue if they didn't?

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Love 911
1 people found this review helpful
May 6, 2024
Completed 0
Overall 6.0
Story 6.0
Acting/Cast 6.0
Music 6.0
Rewatch Value 6.0
I’m down with the flu, so instead of studying for my finals I have been watching a lot of films and series. That’s what you are supposed to do, right? Last night, I watched Love 911, a korean dramedy from 2012, starring Han Hyo-joo and Go Soo as leads, and with a really good and solid ensemble of supporting actors.

Mi-soo (Han Hyo-joo) is a doctor studying towards her goal to become a cardiothoracic surgeon and working through her residency. She has a tendency for being a smartass and quick judgement, but it backfires when she misdiagnosed a woman, whose husband she assumed to be an abusive thug. So when the patient takes a turn for the worse, the husband decided to sue.

Kang-il (Go Soo) is the epitome of the wounded hero. A former soldier now turned firefighter and widower. Despite having a great team of friends and co-wokers at the station, Kang-il refuses to move on with his life, carrying the guilt of his wife dying alone while he was busy saving others.

Fate and some machiavellians ways bring these two together. The relationship between Mi-soo and Kang-il didn’t feel forced, their chemistry is fiery since the first moment. Her carefree personality brings a much needed light tone to his brooding, and his way of taking everything serious gives her a newfound weight to every decision she makes and how they affect other people’s lives.

I enjoyed it was Mi-soo who very cheekly and endearingly pursued Kang-il first. That’s right, he was the one being wooed not the other way around. In this film you will find a leading lady, willing to take risks and rejection, but also in control of her life, not letting anyone tell her how to be proper. What’s more, this way she has, actually gets her out of almost all the troubles she starts.

Kang-il’s grief was harder to watch, mostly thanks to Go Soo’s acting, which carried a lot of weight through the film. You could feel his heartbreaking and denial to move on, even when he was clearly falling for someone else. But he had lighter moments too, like when he interacted with his friends or Mi-soo, and then you could see glimpses of the real Kang-il.

The rest of the cast it’s what really made the story so enjoyable to watch. Ma Dong-seok (Police Force 38, Train to Busan) is the adorable and though Chief, who behaves like an older brother and father figure at the same time. A true leader. And then you have Kim Sung-oh (Fight for My Way, My PS Partner) and Hyun Jyu-ni (IRIS, Descendants of the Sun) friendship-turned-romance which is both hilarious and endearing. My favorite part is the cameos from Jung Ji-hyun and Yang Dong-ge, the detectives who befriend Mi-soo at the police station.

Overall, Love 911 was a fun romance with enough gravity to have actual character development and a lovely message about the meaning of happiness and living your life.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?