Sung Hoon: 'There are things you can't overcome no matter how hard you try'

Kong Hyo Jin has shared her thoughts on Jung Jun Won's controversy during an interview for The Journey to Gyeong-ju.
The Journey to Gyeong-ju is a family revenge drama that follows four women — a mother and three daughters — who, after waiting eight years for their youngest daughter, Gyeong Ju, who never returned from a school field trip, embark on a "killer" journey.
Lee Jung Eun, Kong Hyo Jin, Park So Dam, and Lee Yeon star as leads.
Kong Hyo Jin is currently starring in MBC's Friday-Saturday drama A Bona Fide Killer as Yoo Bo Na, a married woman who is also a ruthless killer. The drama has been gaining popularity, with its latest episode recently surpassing a double-digit viewership rating.
Kong Hyo Jin married singer Kevin Oh, who is 10 years her junior, in 2022. Kevin Oh holds Korean and U.S. citizenship. He enlisted for active-duty military service in December 2023 and completed his mandatory service in June 2025, being discharged as an Army Sergeant.
Describing herself as an "ordinary daughter-in-law," Kong said that after getting married, the success of her dramas makes her twice as happy. She explained, "It's because I have more family members now."
She continued, "My family in the U.S. is quite large. When my drama receives a positive response with high viewership ratings and [I get] congratulated, I feel like the joy, excitement, and sense of fulfillment have multiplied several times over."
Kong Hyo Jin said, "I was so grateful to Kevin Oh. When he asked me, 'Why are you grateful to me?' I told him, 'I feel like my happiness has doubled.'"
She continued, "My new mom and dad are experiencing this kind of feeling for the first time, right? For me, it feels very full and abundant to have more family members sharing the joy of seeing their child doing well. I hope the ratings for A Bona Fide Killer continue to do well all the way to the end."
Meanwhile, her co-star Jung Jun Won, following his appearance on MBC's Hangout with Yoo, came under fire over his attitude after he frequently hesitated when answering questions, appeared to rely on Kong Hyo Jin, and drew criticism for responding passively, leading to criticism that he "lacked sincerity."
Regarding the matter, Kong Hyo Jin said, "I think it's something that [one] has to go through. Public opinion can go in any direction, and you're left wondering what happened…" She continued, "I imagine he must be feeling quite troubled. Even from the sidelines, that's how it seemed to me."
Regarding Jung Jun Won's reaction to the controversy, she said, "I think he got through it like a man, without wavering. He must have realized that the world doesn't always go the way you want it to, right?"
She added, "I'm concerned [about him, too], but I think he needs to prove himself through his work. I have absolute faith that he is a good actor."
Recalling the filming of Hangout with Yoo, Kong Hyo Jin said, "I think I had forgotten that he is an actor who had never played the lead role before. That's because he had been so mature and [carried himself with such] gravitas while filming the drama."
She continued, "Jung Jun Won is the type of person who does not easily blurt out [anything on his mind]. I wonder if that was the problem, though. He's that cautious of a person." She then added, "Please write the article well."
The Journey to Gyeong-ju is set to premiere on August 26.
Source: Newsen
