I am almost never interested in seeing something twice from start to finish. I might want to revisit a scene or an episode, but a series? Almost never. This one is different. Because I’m reading while watching k-dramas, I feel as though I sometimes might miss a fine detail here or there and usually I’m fine with that. I might rewind 10 seconds to listen again and see if I disagree with a subtitling choice (my Korean is limited to what you pick up watching 2500 hours of TV - I should probably be fluent by now, right?) or because I want to see the subtle details of a gaze, etc. However, for this one I’m going to rewatch the entire series. Why? There were things I found jarring while experiencing them the first time around: sound editing choices, for example. The beautiful but loud romantic background music that accompanies the flashbacks to their time at the beach ends abruptly with no segue into a scene with complete silence as a backdrop. Loud city background noises again cut straight to silence. Nothing tapers out to transition you gently from scene to scene. A lot of times when I’m acutely aware of the sound editing in a show it is because it is awful. Music that conveys the wrong emotion of the scene, music that is so loud it overshadows the sound and action of the scene itself… things not quite synched up. Sound has such a huge impact on the viewing experience and “jarring” sound is usually firmly on the “cons” side for me. “The Eighth Sense” clearly used these transitions purposefully as a stylistic choice that grew on me as the show progressed. It added another layer of feeling or sensation to the experience of watching. I’m looking forward to delving into the artistic choices further on a rewatch. The romance - the way they are just organically drawn to each other is really well done. We also don’t often get this level of passion displayed in kdrama - especially BL. I’ve only watched maybe 8 BL’s and 3 or 4 of those were Thai, but I just read a description that said something like dead fish kisses and OMG, yes! I have seen some truly terrible, zero chemistry kissing in BL Kdramas. Not here. The everything. Yep, just need to watch it again!!!
many fans unfollowed not just because he had sex. he lied to fans saying that he was single for 12 years~.( I…
They wouldn’t dare say she was just some chick he shagged… just sayin’. Honestly the truth isn’t in any of the statements made by entertainment companies, ever. And he grew up in the States at a prestigious boarding school where I guarantee he had a ton of relationships as a teen. The Entertainment companies create these fantasies because it is what the crazy fans in Asia want and expect of their stars, not because it is truth.
You can’t pick the family of the person you love. Nor should you visit the sins of the parent on the child. Her parents were involved in some shady stuff. Sucks for everyone impacted, including her. I absolutely LOVE Lee Seung Gi’s work. Him getting married has no impact on his craft. As someone who appreciates his work, I’m happy if he finds happiness. His work has brought me happiness so if the universe sends some back his way that is GREAT. Judging the love lives of idols is really not our business as fans. I think it must be incredibly difficult to be a star in Korea. Wishing happiness to the couple!!
I just don't get why this culture hasn't changed. American entertainers' lives are always in the news and tabloids…
It amazes me when North-Americanized people choose to live and work in countries like China and Russia where information and speech is so limited. I find it fascinating and would love to sit down with them to have a conversation about what it is like to make that change and if it impacts them daily or if they are just oblivious to it most of the time. Like do they acclimatize to the bubble quickly because it is just the norm there? But honestly, do you think that if a BTS member announced a relationship there wouldn’t be hundreds of thousands, or even millions of ARMY crying because Oppa has forsaken them? As an ARMY myself I would cheer for them, but the Korean ARMY members would probably lose it. I wish there were some way to help influence the fan culture abroad. I have watched thousands of hours of kdramas and hundreds of hours of cdramas. I really enjoy the television they create. Bathe price these idols have to pay is just too high!
Frankly I think it is ridiculous to get involved in stars private relationships. It is their business, period. As fans, we need to limit ourselves to admiring their work as actors and remember that they deserve to have private lives just like anyone else. It’s one thing if they are racist, sexist bigots in real life - bring on the recriminations and hatred! But, if their crime is dating, having sex or getting married? Just leave them alone. How about recognizing that this poor kid is a victim here? I like his acting. I think he is incredibly brave for giving up his US citizenship and committing to life under such scrutiny in a society where freedom (of speech and comportment) is so limited. Stars in the US may have to deal with paparazzi and lack of privacy, but at least they can openly have relationships without losing fans who think their idols dating means they are unfaithful to their fans. It is creepy the way fans treat their idols as not being entitled to date, have sex, get married or basically be humans.
many fans unfollowed not just because he had sex. he lied to fans saying that he was single for 12 years~.( I…
How does sleeping with someone make you “not single”? There is a difference between sexual relationships and romantic relationships. Frankly I think it is ridiculous to get involved in stars private relationships. It is their business, period. As fans, we need to limit ourselves to admiring their work as actors and remember that they deserve to have private lives just like anyone else. It’s one thing if they are racist, sexist bigots in real life - bring on the recriminations and hatred! But, if their crime is dating, having sex or getting married? Just leave them alone. How about recognizing that this poor kid is a victim here? I like his acting. I think he is incredibly brave for giving up his US citizenship and committing to life under such scrutiny in a society where freedom (of speech and comportment) is so limited.
I first saw him in Bulgasal and was blown away by his portrayal of the antagonist. Wow, can he act! I was also very impressed by him in The Silent Sea. I want to see him in lead roles. ❤️❤️❤️
That’s not at all what happened. On their day trip when they first started to date, they wrote letters and mailed them from that special mailbox for delayed post. Your letter is delivered a year later. She knows when he wrote it and doesn’t think he is still alive. She’s the only one who knows what really happened since he just vanished. Everyone else just thinks he is traveling like he said he would… Everyone is moving on and experiencing love. You even get a hint that someone even caught Yu-Jin’s eye…
I was really confused about the year this drama is set in., to the point where it was distracting. The phones are models from the mid 2000’s (I noticed a Motorola Razr that I had in 2006). Then I checked the headstone in the funeral service in episode 2 and confirmed this series is set in 2009.
The romance - the way they are just organically drawn to each other is really well done. We also don’t often get this level of passion displayed in kdrama - especially BL. I’ve only watched maybe 8 BL’s and 3 or 4 of those were Thai, but I just read a description that said something like dead fish kisses and OMG, yes! I have seen some truly terrible, zero chemistry kissing in BL Kdramas. Not here.
The everything. Yep, just need to watch it again!!!
But honestly, do you think that if a BTS member announced a relationship there wouldn’t be hundreds of thousands, or even millions of ARMY crying because Oppa has forsaken them? As an ARMY myself I would cheer for them, but the Korean ARMY members would probably lose it. I wish there were some way to help influence the fan culture abroad. I have watched thousands of hours of kdramas and hundreds of hours of cdramas. I really enjoy the television they create. Bathe price these idols have to pay is just too high!