News
They warned us twice...
They warned us twice and I believed them instantly, it wasn't just an exaggeration it was the plain truth, that this movie was gonna be sad. Honestly don't have much to say, I truly loved this masterpiece of a movie, I'm not really the type to watch much sad movies but this was a perfect balance, it make me cry, laugh, made me feel so many emotions. And I truly felt it all, all the love and care they all had for each other, everything. This is truly beautiful. Amazing movie, a must watch. 100% recommend. But have your tissues nearby. You'll need them.Overall 10/10
Was this review helpful to you?
When Words Fall Silent, Dance Speaks
10Dance is one of those rare films that feels less like something you simply watch and more like something you experience. I am genuinely astonished by how beautifully this movie was made, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Everything about it is executed with such care and intention, from the cinematography to the acting, from the music to the chemistry, from the tension to the yearning, to absolutely everything in between. It is easily the best thing I’ve seen in a good while, and I am more than happy to have rated it a 9, a number I don’t give lightly these days. Modern entertainment often forgets how to truly entertain, but this film had my full attention for the entire two hours, never once letting go. What made this experience even more special for me was the mention and representation of Cuba. Being born there, it genuinely moved me to see it acknowledged so naturally and respectfully, adding a deeply personal layer to an already powerful film. The elegance of 10Dance is undeniable. It is sophisticated, graceful, and breathtakingly beautiful. Every dance scene felt like poetry in motion, like swans gliding across water or flowers swaying gently in the breeze. Even without words, the dances spoke volumes.The acting was phenomenal. I felt everything. The chemistry between the leads was intense yet restrained, built almost entirely on silent yearning. Even without overt physicality, the desire between them was loud, conveyed through lingering eye contact, subtle expressions, and, of course, dance itself. Their connection felt raw and genuine, and the tension was exquisite.
And the cinematography, truly outstanding. I haven’t seen lighting and shot composition this good in quite some time. Every scene felt intentional, almost painterly, as if each frame could stand on its own as a work of art. Visually, this film is a feast.
The only reason I didn’t give it a 9.5 or a perfect 10 is the ending. I wanted more. I wanted to see what came next, to explore their future, their relationship, and how love would coexist with their careers. It left me craving a sequel, or even an entire series, just to stay in their world a little longer. Still, that longing almost feels intentional, fitting for a story built on yearning.
At its core, 10Dance is more art piece than conventional film. Some viewers criticize its quiet nature or its lack of dialogue, claiming the dances exist to cover what isn’t said. But that is precisely the point. In this story, words are secondary. Dance is the language. It is how these characters communicate, connect, and reveal themselves. If you can’t understand that, then perhaps this film simply isn’t for you. But I understood it, and I loved it. This movie is a true masterpiece, and it reminds me of "You Make Me Dance", though elevated to an entirely different level. I recommend both wholeheartedly. There isn’t much else to say, because when I say this film is pure gold, I truly mean it. Go watch it.
Overall 9/10
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Secret Lover: Blink and They’re Already Making Out
I was so excited waiting for this one to finish airing. A best friends-to-lovers trope from a Taiwan BL? That’s supposed to be my Roman Empire. I was ready for slow burn, tension, yearning — the kind of emotional suffering we live for. But instead of a slow burn, I got a speed run. The series jumped straight into Freakytown before I even had time to finish my popcorn. Episode 1? They’re making out. By episode 4? They’re already in bed. Like… can we breathe first? Can you yearn a little before we start undressing? BLs without a build-up feel so off, especially when these two were supposed to be best friends with zero preexisting feelings. Realistically, if your best friend suddenly confesses, you’d at least need a few days or even longer to emotionally spiral before kissing them. But nope — these two skipped the spiral and went straight to “we’re in love now.” Jun Xi said Han Tuo was moving too fast, and honestly for the audience that was even faster. The audience needed a seatbelt. The pacing was just insane — there was no room for character or relationship development, which sucks because the plot idea was actually good. It could’ve been a gem, but they rushed it like there was a prize for moving like the speed of light. Now, I’ll give credit where it’s due: the chemistry was good! Like, they looked great together. But chemistry can’t fix a broken plot. And I swear, the side characters were eating them up. I was way more invested in the two girls than the main couple because they actually felt real. The parents? Adorable. The brother? Supportive king. The funny moments? Lifesavers. Those are honestly the only reasons the rating isn’t lower. Also, Han Tuo being jealous of a literal child was wild behavior. Sir, be serious. You can tell that man wasn't ready for a relationship and honestly, probably neither was Jun Xi. I think if anything Han Tao needed therapy. Anyway, safe to say I’m disappointed once again. Taiwan BL used to have that magic — what’s going on lately? Someone bring back the yearning, please.Rating: 7.5/10 (for the acting, the side characters, and the comedy that unintentionally saved the show).
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
I'm At Lost For Words
This is such an amazing movie, I felt so much during these 2 hours, and at first I thought I wouldn't like it too much because a lot of things in this plot weren't my cup of tea, but it all balanced itself out and it became a perfect mix of a rollercoaster of emotions, even though this doesn't have a happy ending like how I usually like or wish it had, it was still very well done, and it had its good moments and good chemistry, this is a devastating story but its beautiful regardless, it just shows so much emotion and so much realistic views on real life problems, marriage inequality, and economic issues. It depicts greed and the yearning of money so much, the actors do an amazing job expressing each character individually and being able to show across a screen how these characters were feeling. I am at loss for words so theres nothing else I can say, but in very short, I loved this movie, its been a while since I've watched something this good, I honestly recommend it with every part of me, but be warned about the rollercoaster of emotions and sadness you will experience. It's a tragic story, to say the least.Was this review helpful to you?
Jack & Joker: U Steal My Heart! Special Episode
1 people found this review helpful
This review may contain spoilers
I Will Cry, Don't Test Me
Bro, I'm done, I'm done, I'm done, like why them? Why do they have to do all this like can't we just have a normal cute special episode, these days special episodes are not special anymore, they're more like torture episodes, either super boring and unnecessary or crazy and dramatic and this one is crazy and dramatic, they didn't have to do all that, like killing Joker and then making it all sentimental and shit, then putting that hideous cardboard version of joker and marrying Joker and Jack like that shit doesn't look goofy asf and out of a mental hospital, like be so fr. And then to top it off they add this cliffhanger at the end like stop edging us and give us a second season, which btw they probably won't even do, they'll AT MOST give us another episode or some shit and call it a day, and make it as confusing as ever. Because IVE PLAYED THESE GAMES BEFORE. AND IM TIRED. I LOVE THESE 2 AND THEIR PLOT, I LOVED JACK AND JOKER BUT WHY IS THIS EPISODE SO ASSSSSSSS. It wasn't horrible, I liked the action, still waiting for the day Aran and Tattoo realize they LIKE each other and start dating!!!!! BEEN WAITING FOR THIS. And I need that peaceful happy ending for those 2, LIKE THEY CAN'T GET A BREAK! UGH! So yeah petition for season 2 because I won't rest until we get Aran and Tattoo together, and happy ending for Jack and Joker. Who's with me? Based on these reviews I think everyone. I'm done here (for now), I shall be back soon. Once season 2 or whatever is released.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Cringe & All Over The Place
I watched the Korean remake first and wasn’t planning on watching this one since I heard it wasn’t good but I liked the Korean remake so I wanted to watch more. Therefore I gave this one a try, at first it was okay, I was able to watch it pretty decently, sometimes it was hard to continue because of how cringe the characters were (mainly Zon) and just how boring the whole storyline was in general. The only reason I kept going was because of the relationship between Tutor and Fighter but after they went on their beach vacation that was enough for me to fully get bored, because there was nothing for me to be excited for anymore and since I’ve watched many BL’s I can guess what’s gonna happen in the last 3 episodes I skipped and decided to drop. Therefore I didn’t even finish the show because I won’t sit for 1 hour and 5 min to just watch some cringe content and arguments form. I don’t want to compare this one to the Korean one because at the end of the day this is the OG, but I think the main reason why I liked the Korean one better was because it was short and simple. The story was told fast and with the perfect amount of information we needed for context and that’s it. I really hate long shows and BL’s but some are worth watching every minute of it. This one on the other hand. Wasn’t the best. Was it the worst? No. But could’ve been better. Also I watched “Peach Of Time” before this show and seeing Zafiah and Zon together as a couple just seems wrong to me since I saw them having more of a friendship/brotherly bond rather than a relationship bond. But they’re actors so ofc they’re gonna have different roles and I’m sure they’ve acted in multiple shows together. But I just wasn’t used to it. Anyway, if you like lengthy quirky shows with some cringe in it, then this is for you, if not then I wouldn’t reccomend.Was this review helpful to you?
Disappointed
Honestly I'm disappointed but not shocked, I didn't love the "Love In The Air" plot, honestly I never understood the hype for it, yes the NC scenes were good for both "Love In The Air" and "Love Sea" but both also lack plot imo, "Love In The Air" has a bit of a better plot than this one but God this one got boring fast, it took me a while to finish and honestly I just couldn't go through with it all and skipped the last 2 episodes and the special episode, all seemed boring as hell. After episode 1-2 everything goes downhill, I hate when characters have these backstories that are so annoying and the story just never goes well with it, it was just so so so so so so boring. The NC can't save this one. I'm rating it a 7 cause honestly even after episode 2 I was kind of hooked with the idea we would get something from the WLW story, but even that one was boring and weird. Also the quality was good, and other aspects of it were good so I'll make my rating higher but if it was just according to the plot, I would rate this a solid 6-6.5. Hoping for better, shorter BL series from them in the future.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
I'm Sad, I'm Disappointed, Wasted Potential
I have so much to say about this because, honestly, this was incredibly disappointing, and it genuinely hurts to say that I had to drop it. I really tried to keep watching, but eventually, I just couldn't bring myself to continue.If you've seen my TikToks or reviews, you'd probably know that I have a particular appreciation for religious BL dramas. Even though I’m not religious myself and probably never will be, I find the intersection between religion and queer stories incredibly fascinating. There’s something about that forbidden feeling, especially when faith, sexuality, guilt, and identity are all intertwined, that can make for such an emotionally powerful story.
I remember watching "Original Sin", which was only a short film, and yet I felt like it captured something incredibly real, the internal conflict that many LGBTQ+ people can experience when they grow up religious, whether they are still unaware of their sexuality or already know but feel ashamed, conflicted, or afraid because of what they have been taught to believe. That is exactly the kind of emotional depth I was hoping this series would explore.
Unfortunately, this series felt incredibly unrealistic in its portrayal of someone who had spent most of his life immersed in religion and attending a religious school slowly discovering that he might be attracted to men.
So, let's get into it.
Tanrak, or Tan, is supposed to be a character who has suffered immensely. He lost his parents at a young age, and considering that he already came from a religious background, it makes sense that he would become even more devoted to God after experiencing such a devastating loss. Religion became his source of comfort, and he eventually attended a religious school where seemingly everything revolved around saints, God, and faith.
Because of that background, I expected his internal conflict to be much more intense.
If someone has spent years being taught to follow God, avoid sin, and live according to a specific moral framework, I would expect the realization that he is experiencing romantic or sexual attraction toward another man to be incredibly difficult for him to process. Lust itself is one of the seven deadly sins, something the series even briefly acknowledges, so the realization that his own feelings of attraction are directed toward another man should have carried significantly more emotional weight.
And yes, someone could argue that maybe Tan was simply open-minded. But that's where I have an issue, because his established background doesn't really support that interpretation. If he were genuinely that comfortable with these feelings, then why does he constantly bounce between guilt and acceptance? His internal conflict exists, but it never feels fully developed.
I think the story would have benefited tremendously if, from the very beginning, Tan's attraction toward Barth had been portrayed with much more uncertainty, yearning, and confusion. I wanted to see him question why he felt this way. I wanted him to wonder what these feelings meant, why he was experiencing them, and whether having these feelings made him a bad person in his own eyes. I wanted to see him scared of himself, anxious about what these feelings meant for his faith, and genuinely struggling to reconcile the person he had always believed himself to be with this new part of himself.
And realistically, I think he would have pushed Barth away because of that.
That could have created so many opportunities for genuine self-discovery. Tan could have distanced himself from Barth, struggled with the guilt, slowly realized that his feelings weren't something he could simply pray away, and gradually come to terms with his sexuality and what it meant for his relationship with his faith. We could have watched that transformation happen over time rather than having him seemingly become comfortable with these feelings almost immediately.
Instead, we got a character who is deeply religious, yet somehow becomes relatively comfortable with the idea of liking men almost overnight, while simultaneously having moments where he feels guilty and conflicted. His feelings constantly go hot and cold, but the transition between those emotions never felt natural to me. Everything just moved far too quickly, and because of that, his internal struggle never had the emotional impact it could have had.
Barth, on the other hand, is also someone who has gone through a lot. Unlike Tan, he isn't a believer, and he seems much more confident in himself and what he wants. But there was another aspect of his character that I found difficult to understand.
If Barth had previously been bullied at his old school because he was gay, why didn't he seem to carry any real fear or hesitation into his new environment?
He transferred into a religious school and immediately became extremely close to Tan, eventually becoming very open about his feelings. Considering what he had already experienced, I would expect him to be much more cautious about who he trusted and how openly he expressed himself, especially around someone like Tan, who was essentially the model religious student.
Realistically, I think Barth would have been afraid of history repeating itself. He could have worried about being bullied again, being rejected, getting kicked out, losing his friendship with Tan, or even simply misunderstanding Tan's intentions and putting himself in a vulnerable position. I think it would have made so much more sense for Barth to take his time before making a move or openly admitting his feelings.
And honestly, I think this all comes back to one major problem: THE SCRIPT
Fourth and Gemini are both amazing actors, and I genuinely enjoy watching them. They have great chemistry together, which is one of the reasons I was so excited for this series in the first place. I had been waiting for this for over a year, especially since I had taken a small break from watching BL, and I was genuinely ready to feel everything this story had to offer.
Because realistically, this is the kind of plot that should make you FEEL something. It's not a concept that should simply be interesting to watch. Religion, sexuality, guilt, identity, repression, and love all have so much emotional potential when they're brought together.
But because the script didn't give the characters enough depth or time to properly explore those things, even the acting occasionally felt a little off to me. And I don't blame Fourth or Gemini for that. I blame the writing. It's difficult for actors to fully sell emotional conflict when the script itself doesn't give that conflict enough substance.
And that's probably my biggest disappointment with this entire series.
The cinematography was good. The music was good. The cast was good. The chemistry was there. There were so many elements that worked individually, and yet the one thing that needed to hold everything together, the writing, just wasn't strong enough.
I wanted more yearning.
More confusion.
More questioning.
More guilt.
More internal conflict.
More moments where these characters actually had to confront what their feelings meant.
I wanted the religious aspect to be more than just an aesthetic or a setting. I wanted the story to actually explore what it means to grow up believing that certain things are wrong and then suddenly realize that you may be experiencing those very things yourself. I wanted to see the psychological and emotional consequences of that conflict instead of simply having religion present in the background.
Instead, we got what ultimately felt like a very mediocre series with an incredibly interesting premise that never reached its full potential.
So yes, I am disappointed.
I will probably forever grieve what this series could have been, especially because the casting was genuinely perfect. Fourth and Gemini had so much potential to bring this story to life, and that's what makes it even more frustrating to me.
And to anyone who enjoyed this series, I genuinely respect your opinion. I just hope mine can be respected as well. Not every story is going to resonate with everyone, and unfortunately, this one simply didn't resonate with me in the way I desperately wanted it to.
I’ll keep waiting for that perfect religious BL, the one that actually makes me feel everything I came here to feel.
Overall: 7.5/10
Was this review helpful to you?
School Trip: Joined a Group I’m Not Close To
1 people found this review helpful
Wholesome Story!
I really liked this JBL, honestly JBL's do it very well when it comes to making a good series that is perfectly balance and most of the times it has a lot of chemistry and slow burn which I love overall! This one had it as well, its a very cute slow burn, to the point they don't kiss until the last episode, and that's one of my favorite things a show can do, only reason why I didn't rate it higher was because regardless of me loving the slow burn and all, I wish I had seen a bit more to them and them being a couple, and also slightly more chemistry, like it was there it was just lacking a bit and it was a bit of a noticeable thing. At least for me, regardless it's a solid BL and it's super wholesome and cute! I really love seeing coming of age series, those are so pure. And I'm glad I got to see more of them with the 2 special episode or after story. We got to get a glimpse of them in a relationship, though I wish it was a bit longer, I was still satisfied with everything overall! Decent watch!Overall 7.5/10
Was this review helpful to you?
I'd Rather Quit Than Die, Director!: Uncut Version
1 people found this review helpful
Not A Strong Short Series
Maybe the fact that this series is very limited in time makes it lack so much, but it’s not the best. This story is about someone who gets in an accident, passes away and gets revived but now is a year in the past. This character with the knowledge he now has from his future self, he tries to do things differently and finds his little lover. While I’m not the biggest fan of this plot alone, it wasn’t really interpreted well, a lot felt rushed and like there wasn’t any sort of build up in the relationship, ever since the ML met the second ML, the second ML was extremely kind and interested in the first ML. Therefore it didn’t feel like anything was actually built, in the sense of their relationship and what led to it. But regardless it’s not the worst thing ever, not really my cup of tea, but not horrible. I wouldn’t 100% recommend, just because there’s better out there. But anyway I rate this 7/10.Was this review helpful to you?
Controversial, But Hear Me Out
Well don’t know where to start with this one, but I will say this BL is a little controversial since it can be viewed in different ways depending on the person. I have a very “in the middle” opinion with this show so I will state what I think like if I’m writing an informative essay… kinda lol.Some may state that this BL is considered incest while others will state otherwise. But as of now let’s focus on the first opinion.
Is this incest?
Well considering they’re not blood related, no it’s not incest but other factors play a major part into why this could be seen as incest. Other people have mentioned how the fact that since Qian raised Yuan since a very young age that he should not have those sorts of feelings towards Yuan. I read a review saying that it’s understandable that Yuan had those feelings considering his rough past and also him being young and taken care of by Qian could possibly confuse him and make him have feelings for Qian. But Qian reciprocating those feelings is just plainly wrong because for one he’s old enough to understand what’s right and wrong. And two he basically saw Yuan grow so you would guess they would only have a family relationship and feelings towards eachother. Now, this is something that I am confused about, though liking an adopted or non-blood-related person is very possible mostly if they’re adopted already while you’re in your teens or so. But if you’re growing up with them since little I would assume you would only see them as a family member. Like this is what I would see it as but if my family adopted someone when I was very young and I grew up with them I would never have such romantic feelings towards them since once again, I grew up with them and will only see them as a sibling. I’ve also never understood how in some shows best friends that grew up together also start having feelings with eachother because to me if we grow up together I will see you more as a family rather than a friend that could possibly turn into something romantic. You know? Now having a best friend that you grew up with since very young and having an adopted person that you grew up with are very different things because, one is adopted lol so that automatically makes you related to them. But it’s still something that seems to play a similar role to me because once again, if we grow up together, you’re family to me and I will see you as such. It’s not the same as meeting someone who was adopted by your family when you’re, let’s say 15 and they’re 15 too, and by the time you’re a bit older you realize you have feelings for that person because once again you met that person at a pretty mature age and didn’t technically grow up together.
Anyway, that’s all I have to say about that opinion. I side with both opinions being stated for this show. Because once again it’s controversial. But let’s talk about the second opinion and come to a conclusion.
Is it not incest?
Morally speaking it is, realistically speaking from DNA and so on. No, it’s not. No matter what anyone thinks they’re not blood related. So is it not incest? Before I keep going let’s search up what incest is. And from a quick search it states “ Incest is human sexual activity between family members or close relatives. This typically includes sexual activity between people in consanguinity, and sometimes those related by affinity, adoption, or lineage”. Therefore based on this definition what they did is incest since he’s adopted by Qian. But once again they’re not blood related. Since I can remember the word incest has mainly been used when actual blood related members of a family have a romantic relationship between themselves. Though when someone dates their stepbrother or stepsister it’s a little bit more normalized but by some it’s also considered incest. There’s a lot of shows/movies about stepsiblings catching feelings for eachother, but back to the age thing most of the times this is portrayed, the stepsiblings meet when they’re in their late teens and don’t necessarily grow up together. So it’s not as controversial. Cause it’s like a friend of yours or your crush suddenly becoming your stepsibling cause your parent and their parent decided to be together.
Ok that’s all I can think of to say for both sides, ngl trying to write out about this not being incest was a little hard because the way this BL is portrayed is very much incest coded.
But to conclude, this BL is gonna be seen differently by many different people depending on their own personal views and opinions. I myself will admit that I’m in the middle about this show, although I do see why it’s seen as incest I can also accept why it’s not. Yes, it’s more to the incest side because of different factors such as age gap, the fact Yuan was adopted by Qian, the fact that he was very young when he was adopted by Qian, and the fact that Qian played a father, mother and older brother role for both Lili and Yuan throughout the years, and not only until Yuan confessed his feelings did Qian suddenly start having those feelings for him as well which leads me to think that before Yuan showed signs of liking Qian and also confessed, Qian had no such feelings for Yuan. And that thought makes it a bit weird but also not? Once again, controversial as fuck. Very complex to actually put a label on it as either incest or not incest. At the end of the day, they were both kids when they met eachother, there was an age gap but possibly no bigger than 7 years, but still they were kids when they met. They both had hard lives and tough pasts. A lot of trauma and no therapy or anything that could’ve emotionally helped them. Even Qian would have nightmares about his mother, therefore he isn’t mentally stable to make more mature reasonable decisions such as not dating your adopted brother. Both need therapy and need help mentally, and the fact that they liked eachother isn’t 100% their fault, most likely not their fault at all. For one you can’t control your feelings, and second they’re both not mentally stable to possibly understand how weird it actually is. And the fact that everyone else accepted it so easy didn’t help this case either. Because in reality this probably wouldn’t have been so easily accepted by people mostly coming from a gay relationship. But that’s just how this show turned out to be and we must accept it as it is. Overall I will admit it was a good show, the acting was good, the story was decent, and everything else was good too. It’s just a little controversial but that shouldn’t be something you let ruin your watching experience, mostly when you consider the other factors as to why things turned out the way they were. Was it a little unrealistic in some parts? Yes. But this whole show is a little unrealistic and controversial all over. But also realistic and relatable in certain parts.
Final thoughts
Have an open mind when you watch this show, your opinion is valid whether you think this is incest or not, or both. It’s up to you to let this show be a certain experience for you wether that be a bad, good or both. But let’s not lie, the chemistry was good, and so was the acting, casting, and directing.
Overall: 8.8/10
Was this review helpful to you?
Educational, Sentimental, Intriguing
This show shows you the perspective of different kinds of relationships varying in ages and sexualities. Showing the ups and downs of each relationship and how they solve them throughout the series. It educates people on different topics such as sex, family, relationships, marriage and more. I really enjoyed this series because it kept me entertained but also seemed educational in different aspects. It gave you the perspective of all the characters and how some things can be misunderstandings and could be minor issues that with miscommunication it becomes a bigger problem but with time, patience, cooperation, communication and involvement it could be fixed. It showed the struggles of what a married couple could experience at a specific moment in their marriage and how it affects them overall, this show does an amazing job at showing how sexual attraction can be affected once you’ve been with someone for a long time and how issues with sexual intercourse could arise due to lack of time, lack of interest, and just not enough communication and also making plans to switch things up here and there. It showed conflict, sentimental, happy and confusing moments and more with family and how it all evolved through the series. The tension, connection, and intimate moments shared in this series speak for themselves, while some sex scenes scream out love and affection others scream out as a cry for help in the relationship because the bond is just not there during it causing conflict and confusion in the relationships. This show does a great job as being realistic on multiple subjects and how it affects multiple people in either a positive or negative way. While this show is mainly targeted as a sex show, focusing on only sex is not the main plot, there’s more to it and it takes you for a ride so expect yourself to cry, laugh, and have your heart pounding throughout the spicy scenes and passionate kisses. Overall a beautiful show with realistic scenes and many characters stories being shown to keep you extra entertained. Really recommend this show!Was this review helpful to you?
A Surprisingly Captivating Watch
Wow wow wow. Honestly, I didn’t have any expectations before watching this, but this was actually so much better than I thought it would be.I wanna start with the visuals because holy cow, everyone looked SO damn good! I swear they just hired models and told them to act. The acting was actually very good too. Honestly, sometimes with Korean BLs, and just BLs in general, the acting can be a 50/50 depending on the plot and everything else. I expected this one to have some questionable acting because of the plot, since usually a lot of similar BLs I’ve watched don’t have the best acting, and because of that, I don’t always get that dark, serious vibe they’re trying to portray with things like killers and crime. But the acting here was genuinely really good, and I think every character was portrayed extremely well.
I really liked how this was kind of a slow burn and wasn’t super heavily focused on romance. It also did a really good job of keeping me captivated by the storyline. Honestly, my attention span is VERY low, and if a show isn’t exceeding my expectations, it doesn’t matter if it’s 4 episodes or 16 episodes, it can either feel extremely long or go by super quickly depending on how captivating it is. And with this one, the 8 episodes went by in a BLINK because I was so invested in the storyline and constantly wanted to know what we were going to find out next and what would happen next. So honestly, amazing job with that!
The music was also TOP TIER. It really helped set that dark, eerie atmosphere throughout the entire series. It reminded me of those dark series where everything feels so depressing and unsettling, and honestly, they absolutely nailed that vibe.
The chemistry was decent. I do feel like it could’ve been better, and the kiss scenes could’ve had a little more to them too, but honestly, it wasn’t horrible, so I don’t have many complaints there. I really liked the balance of the series overall. I liked how short but still straight to the point it was while also giving us enough background information to understand what was going on without dragging things out unnecessarily.
If I had one major complaint, it would be that I wish we got to see more happy moments between the main couple. I would’ve loved to see more of them simply enjoying life together after everything they went through, and maybe a little more tension and yearning between them as well. I feel like that could’ve made their relationship and chemistry hit even harder.
But regardless, I think this was a really nice watch, and I definitely recommend it! Especially for those who enjoy their fair share of dark, crime-focused BLs.
Overall: 8/10
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
I Wanted More From This One
Mhm, ok, let's see where I can start with this one. Honestly, I was a bit excited to see this series cause I'm a HUGE fanatic of historical BL's. It doesn't matter if it's Japanese, Korean, Thai, or Chinese, I love them all. They feel more ethereal and special overall. So yeah, I was super hyped for this one, but it didn't meet my expectations. It was a pretty bland story, a lot of conflict in like 99% of the entire series, and barely any happy moments towards the main couple. Even till the very end, we were left at the edge of our seats wondering if it was gonna be a happy ending or not. Well, it is a happy ending, but I did see this review saying how it was very broad, like, how are we supposed to know if them meeting again towards the end wasn't a dream or something? And I can agree, honestly, cause that couple felt very much doomed.Honestly, I kept thinking that maybe the lesson of this story is that we can't change fate no matter how much we try to. It doesn't matter if we change every choice we make, the outcome will be the same if that's our destiny. But I was left just wondering if I was right or wrong towards thinking that. I mean, yeah, I guess it is a happy ending. Like, I'm not gonna make it sound like it isn't cause realistically, they did meet again. But still, it felt like they were constantly just fighting for that happiness together, and it just felt exhausting to watch.
The villain of the story, god, just wouldn't stop. Literally, from the very first episode till like episode 7 or something, he's just constantly tormenting those 2 and trying to get all the power he could've had if he wasn't so blinded by greed, and ofc, a bad mother by his side.
But anyway, I think the chemistry was decent. I do wish I had seen more intimate moments and like cute, happy moments with them, but I tried to survive off what we got. I also liked how there was a possible or an actual Yuri relationship going on with Yin Qi's sister and the daughter of the aunty who ran that restaurant? I think it was a restaurant. I also wonder if that aunty was in a Yuri type of relationship that was never spoken about out loud with Yin Qi's mother, Concubine Chen, but they could've just been besties.
Anyway, I think a lot of the characters were really solid. I like their personalities, except the bad ones, ofc lol. I do wish the story had been more interesting. I have this issue where whenever I watch mostly historical Chinese BL, I can't understand the story going on for at least half the series, if not the entire series, until the very last few episodes. I just feel like they're speaking so fast and saying historically accurate words or how they would speak back then, and I just get so confused as to what is even going on. But I think I have an idea of what the whole issue was.
But yeah, this is just a pretty simple story, just nothing too crazy. I liked the cinematography, I liked the music a lot, I liked the costumes and hair. I did notice some of the beards and wigs would show the lace on screen, but this isn't an issue or a complaint. I actually found it cute, it felt human, yk. I liked the whole production overall. Acting was decent. I just wish story-wise it was better, more interesting. It lacked some depth into it.
But other than that, it wasn't a horrible watch, just not a historical Chinese BL I would recommend in a room where other Historical Chinese BL are present.
Overall: 7.5/10
Was this review helpful to you?
I'll Be Waiting For Season 2
I refuse to believe this is how this series ends, so yeah, I'll be waiting for season 2! I really enjoyed this series. It's giving KinnPorsche, The Heart Killers, and it reminds me a lot of Jack And Joker and honestly, many more BLs with the same vibe or story! And I enjoy those so much! This wasn't an exception. I really enjoyed the story, the characters, the way it was slow-paced, and a possible season 2?! Count me in!But yeah, the character dynamic is very intriguing. You would expect the gang boss to act all cold and mysterious, yet he's outgoing and truly just adorable at times with his "idc" mindset when he truly does care. While Ho Cho Sam looks like he would be acting like the gang boss, but instead he's actually very quiet and soft-spoken, mysterious at times, and just very #leadingtheway. And I honestly really enjoyed that swap in dynamic because, as a watcher, you'd expect the opposite based on their roles!
I really liked how there wasn't, at least in this season, some side couple that just distracted us from the main couple, but instead, we got hints and snippets of other queer representation, like the cops being with each other as a one-night stand and the girl working with the gang boss being a lesbian! I liked that, and tbh, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that in season 2 and, if anything, a little more in-depth about the cops' relationship with each other.
I enjoyed how slow-paced it was story-wise, and they weren't, like, making out by the 2nd episode. Everything was slow, and even when we did get those kind of scenes, it wasn't excessive and over the top. It was really well-balanced. The only reason why I didn't rate this higher was because now I'm here waiting for a second season :C. And though I did like the slow pace of it all, I think I would've liked to see more of the main couple as a couple. This entire season was spent on just figuring things out and finding out feelings, and towards the end was when we finally got the "yes, we both like each other," but boom! Gang boss arrested, and now we won't know what happens next.
But that's just minor. I just really liked this show, and I wanna see more of it, so I'm getting impatient already lol. It's kind of giving me PTSD of Jack And Joker, though LMAO, but anyway. Yeah, I did enjoy this series, and I'll be patiently waiting for a second season to continue this beautiful story!
Rating: 8/10
Was this review helpful to you?
