Weirdo 101 is a slow burn series. It doesn't give you satisfaction early. So if you are someone who complain about it and drop the show only after Ep 3, then I think that you should reconsider.
I've been watching each week and trying to support this series because I like the lead actors but now at last…
Forgive me but I beg to differ. It is because of the what you call 'robotic Cheewa' and Niran being pursued are the reasons why this series is special. It is not easy to deliver 'robotic' Cheewa but at the same time delivering emotions. Sea has to rely on micro expressions (though he smiles a lot) and limited body gestures to announce his feelings. It's very restrained. Whereas Niran being pursued is a 180 degree turn from Only Boo (do watch that show to see how great these two have improved in their acting). It is normal for us to see Keen as the pursuer. The one with high energy. But Niran is everything but. Niran is quiet, contemplative but also a tease. And Keen has to dial down his personal energy to bring Niran to life. And that's admirable. I guess that I am enjoying the show because I can see the craft that has gone in bringing out the characters. And Sea and Keen have nailed it. Good for them.
I guess that Weirdo 101 is a polarizing series. It's whether you hate it or love it series. Some say that it's a failed GMMTV project. Some totally hate the editing, even the characters. But to me personally, Weirdo 101 is one of the best series that GMMTV has ever produced. Why? Because the series proves to be a stepping stone for Sea and Keen. The series has become the laboratory for Sea and Keen to expand their acting craft. And expand they did. One needs to follow this duo from Only Boo to see how much they have grown. Weirdo 101's main characters are difficult, especially if you negate the actors of their real life publicly shown behavior. Just look at Keen. Moo in Only Boo is more similar to his real life persona. But Niran? That's a very muted character. We can theorize that ordinary Keen to be -50 > +50. But Niran requires only -20 > +20. So Keen has to act by subtracting his energy. And that's a big challenge. Same with Sea. He has to portray Cheewa as a nerd with limited physical gesture. Only by using his smiles, eyes and free hug stance. He must convey his feelings using limited means. So both Sea and Keen are given challenging acting exercise with Weirdo 101. And I am glad, at least to me, that they have nailed their characters.
ep 7 is the worst ep so far, bad editing, bad storytelling, bad directing, bad storyline. It's so clear that they…
Forgive me but I beg to differ. IMHO, ep 7 is the strongest so far. Due to Sea Keen's performance. remember the scene where Niran and Cheewa were sitting facing each other in Cheewa's room? That is a big scene. Because it is a 'silent' and emotional scene. Once Cheewa admitted that he likes Niran, the music stops. And from then on, for one and a half minute, Niran delivers his emotional monologue. And if you notice, Niran doesn't deliver a rapid fire line. It's measured and restrained. He doesn't gush out saying that he's sad. But he manages to deliver his emotions through his eyes, the color of his voice and using silence to buffer up his emotion. And for Cheewa, he has to act as an absorber to everything that Niran puts forth. I personally think that this is another level of acting. Without music background, and with a lot of silence, Sea and Keen do not have the usual buffer and scaffold. It's like they're acting naked. Yet, these two manage to convey their emotions very well. That is why, episode 7 has elevated my respect for Sea and Keen.
Episode 7 shows that Sea Keen can really act and own the screen. The scene at Cheewa's room where Niran told Cheewa about his mom... that's a biggie. Just the two of them with minimal dialog. And when Cheewa admitted his fondness for Niran, the music STOPPED. And Keen's emotional monologue goes on for 1 and a half minute... without any background score. Just silence. Niran pouring and Cheewa absorbing. This is why my respect for Sea and Keen has gone up a notch. These two can deliver emotions without the need to shout. Bravo Sea Keen. Bravo!!
People, I have watched all their dramas, I really like this duo. This drama is worth giving the shot no?
IMHO, this is Sea Keen's best series. Due to the complexities of the characters. This is not a typical cardboard character show. Sea and Keen have to really use their craft to make the characters believable. And so far, they have nailed it. Keen is known publicly as someone who is like a firecracker. Easy to laugh and tend to be an animated person. Niran is a subdued, contemplative and more nuanced character. Keen must tone down significantly to carry Niran. For Sea, he has the challenge to represent Cheewa who is monotonous and lack physical movement other than giving free hugs. And that is also a challenge. Too much nerdiness, or too little, Cheewa won't sound real. Until ep 6, Sea Keen have been able to show that they are a pair of serious actors with quite a big range.
You took a very generous approach to his directing style, and I can sympathize with that stance, but I think he’s…
First of all, forgive me. But I don't think that the interactions between Niran and Cheewa is bland. It is anything but bland. It is actually very very well acted. Keen as Niran has to restrain his acting. Just look at his face whenever Cheewa is monologuing his theory and facts. He doesn't look at Cheewa with enmity or boredom. His face relaxes as if saying, 'Go on Cheewa. I'm listening.' And knowing the real life Keen, that's a very restrained performance and I assume not easy. And for Cheewa, he has to deliver his lines mostly in a monotonous way. His facial expression moves from serious to smiling. And that's it. He has to 'engineer' his other emotions through voice modulations and minimum body movements. And that is also a kind of restrain. One can see the progression of them embracing each other company from ep 1. It’s slow, yes, because many of us are more accustomed to BL leads whose emotions are expressed more overtly.
people aren't liking this series which is making me think, is it actually bad and i enjoy bad things orrrrrrrr…
IMHO, the series is not bad at all. Yes, also IMHO, the production is not as polished as When Oranges Fall, with the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and carefully choreographed camera movement. Weirdo 101 feels a bit messy. Even the set looks messy. It's like a lived in school, classes and offices. It goes well with the messiness that the characters go through. But for me, Weirdo is a slow burn. And the acting, especially of Sea Keen, is very constrained and quiet. Which to me, has shown how much they've expanded their craft. Though constrained, we can actually see the minute changes on their mouths, eyes and the whole facial expressions. Just look at how Niran looks at Cheewa when the latter told him about scientific theories. Keen doesn't look bored. In fact, his expression says... "I'm not bored by this. I think that I've found my guy". Its subtle. It's quiet. It's nuanced. And that, to me personally, is great acting.
This series is sweet and heartwarming, but unfortunately, I can't picture Keen and Sea as lovers. Not at all.…
Forgive me. IMHO, if it's weirdo 101 that you're referring to, I think that Niran's love is subtly hinted. Keen doesn't have -50 - +50 energy in Weirdo like he had in Only Boo. He's restraining his acting. Perhaps only -20 - +20 range. But for me, Keen has wonderfully accepted Cheewa and beginning to open up to him. His silent gaze has that 'longing + accepting' look. It's quiet. But deep. And it's only ep 6. There are 4 more episodes to go. However, if you meant in real life... we can never know about their feelings to each other. To each his own.
I seldom post something like this in the middle of a series, ep 6. But I just can't hold it any longer. I have followed Sea & Keen since Only Boo. And Keen since Project Alpha. And I still remember telling myself that these two could go far. And yes. They have. With every series, they have improved tremendously. Weirdo 101 is a test for them. These characters are difficult especially when their real-world persona (as publicly seen) are not the same. Both Sea and Keen had exercised a great restraint in their acting. And that is admirable. Keen has this challenge to be quiet, contemplative and sometime bossy character. Yet he also has to show vulnerability. Sea has to be a flat nerd with almost no body movement, except when giving free-hugs or abducted by alien. And his line deliveries have to be almost monotonous yet give enough signs to the audience of how he feels. Compared to their first outing in Only Boo, Weirdo 101 has shown that they have extended their acting range and improved so very much. Bravo Sea Keen! It's such a wonderful feeling to see both of you getting better in your craft.
When I started this, I just wanted to fill my time. I ended up binging it and loving it. Many people rubbishes the story. Well, for me personally, being a student at an all boys school... Lovesick is a real depiction of the daily ongoings among the boys. Puppy love, innocent love, jealousies, enemies and lovers. Lovesick 2024 makes me miss my years at school.
The cast is great with good chemistry. The fact that most represent their age makes this series more authentic than some other high school series. The production is OK. Good cinematography and nice soundtrack. Though the use of 'popular shows background music' is quite annoying. I'd prefer if the show uses more original music.
All in all, I love this show. Albeit due to personal experience, it's still a worthy watch.
I hv seen a LOT of dramas which were really GOOD in the cute and Happy scenes..BUT just failed to perfectly portray…
Exactly the point regarding Shone. He knows the circumstances of the break up. It's not due to Kang n Moo don't love each other anymore. Yet he still flirts with Kang. That to me is an irresponsible behavior.
Regarding the series, I know that I'll get some flak (again) with this statement. But Only Boo! has impacted me, personally, more than Bad Buddy, Last Twilight and Moonlight Chicken, combined. This is how much I love Only Boo! So my rant had been very specific to 2 characters and their scenes in ep 11.
And now, Station No.0 has been repeating for hours. I dare not watch it cause every time I see Moo cries, I'd shed a tear as well. EVERY SINGLE TIME.
I may be out of line and this will probably upset some, but from a personal preference, I would say this show…
Totally agree with you. Yes, I did rant about 2 characters, but as a whole, Only Boo! exceeded my expectations. GMMTV must give Sea and Keen new projects for them to shine brighter. Just imagine, these 2 rookies are able to carry this show from ep 1 till now. They made us laugh and smile like kids and then made us cry so much that it hurts. THAT is not an easy feat for actors. Bravo Sea Keen! And to the team as well.
I’m not ranting about the writing as a whole. If I don’t like the show, I wouldn’t have watched it every day. I just don’t like what happened in ep11 esp regarding Kang and Shone. I understand that without the plot, the tension between Moo and Kang can be downplayed. By injecting Shone in the equation, it makes the angst and drama more serious, perhaps more hurtful. Yes, ep 10 was hard. But ep 11 is brutal. After been knocked TWICE, it’s just difficult for me to be optimistic. That’s all.
The cast is great with good chemistry. The fact that most represent their age makes this series more authentic than some other high school series. The production is OK. Good cinematography and nice soundtrack. Though the use of 'popular shows background music' is quite annoying. I'd prefer if the show uses more original music.
All in all, I love this show. Albeit due to personal experience, it's still a worthy watch.
https://hitz.syok.my/trending/trending-on-hitz/family-last-meal-refrigerated-5-years-mother-cry-j
Regarding the series, I know that I'll get some flak (again) with this statement. But Only Boo! has impacted me, personally, more than Bad Buddy, Last Twilight and Moonlight Chicken, combined. This is how much I love Only Boo! So my rant had been very specific to 2 characters and their scenes in ep 11.
And now, Station No.0 has been repeating for hours. I dare not watch it cause every time I see Moo cries, I'd shed a tear as well. EVERY SINGLE TIME.