This was actually pretty good until ep 15/16. It was exciting, angsty and I really liked the FL’s story and her relationships with both male leads. But from ep 17 onward, it felt like the writers didn’t really know what to do anymore now that the main leads were together and most of the past had been revealed. Her sudden realization that she actually loved the ML also felt a bit random ... I would've loved for this to be more dramatic lol
And as so often, the leads became weirdly cringe and childish after getting together. They had such mature, sexy couple vibes before, only to suddenly turn into a cheesy rom-com couple. The drama of course had the mini-drama vibes, but why lean into it so much right at the end? 😅
I still think the premise and story of this drama is really captivating and could’ve worked so well as a standard-length drama with more angst, more about the past lives and better relationship development. I genuinely liked all three leads, so it was a pretty good watch for a mini-series :)
First two eps were sooooo good!!! Oh my, it's been some time I've been this excited for a drama. I'm so in love with the vibes of this drama and those quirky characters. ❤️
Some said at the beginning that 47 eps were too many, but I guess now we're realizing that 47 eps actually aren't nearly enough to tell this story with the same care and attention it had in the beginning.
Ever since ep. 39, the pacing has started to feel rushed and it's honestly changed the watching experience for me. I still really like the show, but I can feel that it's not getting the time and care it would've needed to become an amazing drama from beginning to end.
So many crucial things are happening now, but there just isn't enough time to explore them properly or give them the emotional weight they deserve. Things that should feel huge are happening so quickly that we barely get the chance to process them before the story moves on.
I genuinely think this drama would've benefited from having twice as many episodes. With more time to let the story, characters and emotions breathe, this could've been something truly incredible from start to finish. It's such a shame because the potential to be the masterpiece of the century was absolutely there ...
I really think that expectations need to be managed. It seems like quite a few people went into this drama expecting…
I’m pretty sure none of us were expecting any full-fledged romance scenes. But you have to admit that, while the writers gave us incredibly detailed character arcs and side stories, they really fumbled when it came to actually "showing" the development between Lan Xiang and Jin Qi.
Someone here explained it really well: every time something crucial happened between them, the writers decided to throw in a time skip and basically left us to fill in the blanks ourselves. I think that’s where most of the disappointment and frustration comes from. After following Lan Xiang and her journey for 38 episodes, these moments weren’t just important to us as viewers, they were part of her journey too and we simply didn’t get to see them.
That’s what makes it even more frustrating. This drama took the time to show even the most mundane things in such detail, yet somehow their relationship ended up feeling sidelined.
None of us were expecting some heavy make-out scene, at least I wasn’t lol. But I still wanted to actually see and celebrate their milestones: her developing romantic feelings, their wedding consummation (well, maybe they did, but was weird after 4 years lol) , her finding out she’s pregnant, him finding out he’s going to be a father... is that too much to expect after 38 eps? I guess, it is ...
If they had given us only half an episode showing their relationship naturally developing through those moments, I genuinely think the comments here would be VERY different.
It's Lin Xiu Shu. Jin Qi's youngest sister. She was smaller and was played by a different actress before all those…
I think it would've been weird if she hadn't changed after almost five years. She's at marriageable age now, so keeping the same actress would've felt a little off. I guess, she just looked way too young for that stage of the character's life.
Who is the girl getting gifts at the end of ep39? I don't recognize her.
It's Lin Xiu Shu. Jin Qi's youngest sister. She was smaller and was played by a different actress before all those time skips. Maybe that's why u don't recognize the character.
Agree with everyone. Ep. 39 was really confusing and probably the weakest episode in terms of pacing and writing so far. Up until then, every ep had been remarkable imo, but this one left me feeling really unsatisfied ... why did they have to bait us with romance-trailer and waiting for 2 days, just to give us nothing lol
I know this isn't a romance-focused drama, but still... really? 😭 The writers could've done so much better with this. There was barely any romance development shown on screen and all those time skips made it even harder to connect with what was happening.
After THAT kind of slow burn, I genuinely thought they were about to give us one of the best slow-burn payoffs of the year, but I guess they deliberately chose not to because that's simply not the kind of drama this wants to be. It's a shame, but I can respect that decision.
I just really hope this isn't the beginning of a bad turn where they start killing everyone off and give us a disappointing final stretch 😭 This drama has been way too good so far to suddenly lose its footing now... pls don't do this to me T-T
What did we miss in those 6 months time skip for Nanke looking slightly back at Xiaolian like that?! And Xiaolian looking shyly away?! Pls give me all the romance on screen, not just in my imagination lol
The first two episodes didn't really hook me... idk, something just feels off. It almost feels like I'm watching a short-length drama? The pacing is kinda weird and I'm not really feeling any of the characters yet lol. Idk how to explain it 😭 Maybe my expectations were just too high?
Gonna put this on pause until more episodes are out, but I honestly had such high hopes for this one T-T
This drama is way too much makjang and sooo much talking. There are barely any likable characters. And villains have too much screentime. Not sure how I've gotten so far, but ep. 25 was seriously badly written ... 😅 well ... gonna watch it till the end, but not really my cup of tea. But I like the leads and the cast...
I love how all of the Lin siblings are so fond of their sis-in-law Lan Xiang 🥰 It's rare to have a costume family drama without evil siblings or toxic family rivalry lol That's why I love this drama even more! And who knew even Xiuwan would become so likable :D
wow, ep 36 was a masterpiece of an episode! So intense and emotional. I cried so much! T-T It's remarkable how the episodes get even better each ep, even now so far in the drama!
And as so often, the leads became weirdly cringe and childish after getting together. They had such mature, sexy couple vibes before, only to suddenly turn into a cheesy rom-com couple. The drama of course had the mini-drama vibes, but why lean into it so much right at the end? 😅
I still think the premise and story of this drama is really captivating and could’ve worked so well as a standard-length drama with more angst, more about the past lives and better relationship development. I genuinely liked all three leads, so it was a pretty good watch for a mini-series :)
Ever since ep. 39, the pacing has started to feel rushed and it's honestly changed the watching experience for me. I still really like the show, but I can feel that it's not getting the time and care it would've needed to become an amazing drama from beginning to end.
So many crucial things are happening now, but there just isn't enough time to explore them properly or give them the emotional weight they deserve. Things that should feel huge are happening so quickly that we barely get the chance to process them before the story moves on.
I genuinely think this drama would've benefited from having twice as many episodes. With more time to let the story, characters and emotions breathe, this could've been something truly incredible from start to finish. It's such a shame because the potential to be the masterpiece of the century was absolutely there ...
Someone here explained it really well: every time something crucial happened between them, the writers decided to throw in a time skip and basically left us to fill in the blanks ourselves. I think that’s where most of the disappointment and frustration comes from. After following Lan Xiang and her journey for 38 episodes, these moments weren’t just important to us as viewers, they were part of her journey too and we simply didn’t get to see them.
That’s what makes it even more frustrating. This drama took the time to show even the most mundane things in such detail, yet somehow their relationship ended up feeling sidelined.
None of us were expecting some heavy make-out scene, at least I wasn’t lol. But I still wanted to actually see and celebrate their milestones: her developing romantic feelings, their wedding consummation (well, maybe they did, but was weird after 4 years lol) , her finding out she’s pregnant, him finding out he’s going to be a father... is that too much to expect after 38 eps? I guess, it is ...
If they had given us only half an episode showing their relationship naturally developing through those moments, I genuinely think the comments here would be VERY different.
I know this isn't a romance-focused drama, but still... really? 😭 The writers could've done so much better with this. There was barely any romance development shown on screen and all those time skips made it even harder to connect with what was happening.
After THAT kind of slow burn, I genuinely thought they were about to give us one of the best slow-burn payoffs of the year, but I guess they deliberately chose not to because that's simply not the kind of drama this wants to be. It's a shame, but I can respect that decision.
I just really hope this isn't the beginning of a bad turn where they start killing everyone off and give us a disappointing final stretch 😭 This drama has been way too good so far to suddenly lose its footing now... pls don't do this to me T-T
Gonna put this on pause until more episodes are out, but I honestly had such high hopes for this one T-T