Celebrity
This review may contain spoilers
Edit
EditAfter watching the recent chapters I’ve gotta to admit this bl show does a lot of things incredibly well.
My favorite episodes being 6 and 7
Review of ep 1-5
Unpopular opinion: I don’t think Shine is the masterpiece people hype it up to be. To me, it felt like fan-service dressed up as a serious political/romance thriller.
Main couple (Trin & Tanwa — MileApo): They didn’t work for me. Tanwa comes off as childish, so it’s hard to take him seriously; I honestly don’t get why Trin is into him. Victor made far more sense to me.
Second couple (the colonel & the journalist): Naran, Krailert
They’re the reason I kept watching. The chemistry is insane; their scenes are 🔥🥵 and genuinely compelling. That said, even with them, the writing undercuts realism, like flirting in a bathroom during a high-profile event in a period hostile to homosexuality. It just made no sense. Instead of coming across as daring or romantic, it pulled me out of the story because it felt careless and unbelievable.
That’s my biggest problem with the show: it tries to blend politics, social commentary, and romance, but it never balances them well. The “serious” parts feel hollow, and the romantic parts lean too heavily on fanservice. The end result is a story that wants to be meaningful but doesn’t have the weight or realism to back it up.
Shine wants to be a layered political romance, but deep down it’s still just fanservice wrapped in fancy packaging. 😒
That being said, if you enjoyed the show, that’s great, I did enjoy certain parts too. This is just my personal take, so don’t come for my head 😂. Feel free to disagree, just keep it respectful.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
What was that? ?
超级难看别浪费自己的时间I was recommended this because I liked Mr Queen. It’s nothing close to that “masterpiece”.
Maybe it’s not for me.
But the first few minutes of the first episode were quite painful to watch.
The way they introduced the so called match makers. They made them seem cool but I just couldn’t see that for myself.
Didn’t like anyone
Didn’t like the female lead
I felt like everyone’s acting didn’t come off natural.
I’ve never acted in my life so this is no direct criticism on the actors themselves. I’m sure they tried their best. Anyhow , I’ll pass on this one.
I couldn’t get past the first episode. But some have rated it 10 so don’t take my word for it. See for yourself .
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Hot bodies couldn’t make me stay
I have figured out how to enjoy most bls: turn my brain off and have zero expectations for the plot. Sometimes it work, but it didn’t with this series.I had read some reviews before watching so I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. I didn’t mind the absence of the explicit love confessions, kisses and what not. After watching the trailer I thought this might be my best Chinese bl ever. I dropped it after ep 5.
A man (one of main leads) with a supposedly bodyguard agency has time to follow another man(his would be love interest) 24/7. He is doing it coz his sister asked him to. You see , the sister is so entitled and can’t take no for answer. If she can’t convince you to be with her based on her own merit, she will ask her brother to follow you around till you go mad crazy and just give in. I guess some people found his actions cute. But I did find them creepy and fkng annoying. Especially since the man had said explicitly and shown with his actions that he wants nth to do with the sister. I want my men to be together eventually but I care about how they come to be together.
I also kind felt like the music was all over place. I mean let me find the scene enjoyable or emotional whatever for myself don’t put songs all over to manipulate me.
Was this review helpful to you?
It’s just bitter, where’s the sweetness?
My review is only based on the first episode which I didn’t even finish because I was too annoyed to finish.I don’t like timid and weak characters. This kind of mc is my least favorite. I get he’s from a poor background and he thinks it’s an honor to marry into a rich family but why can’t he see that that family needed him just as much as he needed them? Why act like they are only doing him a favor when he helped them big time too by marrying their daughter?
This is definitely not my cup of tea
I can’t continue watching this
I can’t feel sorry for characters that are sad puppy, punching bags, just because the plot wants them to be so. I can watch a proper angst with a good story not this, whatever this is, it’s definitely not for me.
This is too bad that it makes double helix feel like a masterpiece.
Was this review helpful to you?
Too painful to watch
I’m usually hesitant to watch Thai bl, the acting, the plot doesn’t do it for me. However I’ve watched some that are actually good, could even rewatch them.This series is just too painful to watch. Everyone’s acting is cringe asf and all over the place. I get it’s fiction but they try to act a bit like normal people. I know somethings are meant as comic relief but no, it’s a no for me.
Was this review helpful to you?
I tried
Before anyone accuses me of disliking this drama just because I mostly watch BL, hear me out 🙂I first knew the male lead from Addicted, but I was genuinely open to watching his non-BL work.
The first episode was already a bit underwhelming, but I still decided to give it a chance. Unfortunately, things went downhill fast. There’s a plotline where some random guy who isn’t even particularly convincing manages to coerce his father into giving him 100,000 RMB (around 14k USD). That’s an insane amount of money to just hand over so easily. Unsurprisingly, the same guy keeps scamming them for even more. That whole arc felt completely illogical to me, and honestly, it was enough to make me drop the drama.
On top of that, there’s basically zero chemistry between the main leads. The female lead is constantly flexing her non-existent muscles and beating people up. I’m all for female empowerment, but please make it believable. There’s no way someone with her physique is realistically taking down four grown men in a modern drama. Maybe I could suspend disbelief if this were a wuxia or fantasy setting but here, it just doesn’t work.
Overall, the plot lacked logic, the romance didn’t land, and the characters didn’t convince me. It just wasn’t for me.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Maybe just not my kind of series
Wait a minute, you telling me heavy make up can cover that kind of acne? I guess I should work on my make up skills.I personally believe that it’s ridiculous to treat people badly based on their looks seeing that we never get to choose our looks. If you are good looking it’s not an achievement since you didn’t earn your looks they are just a gift of Mother Nature. So I really did sympathize with the female lead for having to take all that crap from bad people just because of her looks. I just didn’t like how it seemed like her problems will be superficially solved by make up. I never got past the first episode so I can’t really say much about the entire drama.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
BL where? ?
This one doesn’t need the bl tag.It’s just b without the l 😂
Maybe an action bromance could be the right genre for it not bl.
To be fair watching the first episode I seriously thought I was gonna like this. I’m already very picky with bls, I can count with my fingers the number of Thai bls I’ve watched. I really wanted to like this one but felt 🥱
I didn’t see any hint at romance between the main leads, perhaps it gets better I’ll never know dropped on ep 3.
Don’t get me wrong, I can watch a good bromance or any story as long as there’s sth for me to enjoy, well this one was kinda hard to like. Kudos for trying though. I guess I should just stick to reading manhwas
Was this review helpful to you?
Not for me
I’ve tried to watch it twice, each time failing to finish the first episode .The intro didn’t do it for me. I didn’t feel like it’s a show I wanna spend even a second watching. I considered watching it on 2x. I find the acting a bit mid for cbl.
I usually watch c dramas for the Chinese anyways, the way they delivered their lines felt underwhelming.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
logic out of the window
Bromance well abou to find out.I prefer watching Chinese bromance because at least I kow the story wont be centered on some boring romance.
Im only on ep4 and I already have so many complaints, where do I even start.
Bromance well abou to find out.
I prefer watching Chinese bromance because at least I kow the story wont be centered on some boring romance.
Im only on ep4 and I already have so many complaints, where do I even start.
Bromance well abou to find out.
I prefer watching Chinese bromance because at least I kow the story wont be centered on some boring romance.
Im only on ep4 and I already have so many complaints, where do I even start.
Bromance well abou to find out.
I prefer watching Chinese bromance because at least I kow the story wont be centered on some boring romance.
Im only on ep4 and I already have so many complaints, where do I even start.
Bromance well abou to find out.
I prefer watching Chinese bromance because at least I kow the story wont be centered on some boring romance.
Im only on ep4 and I already have so many complaints, where do I even start.
hh
Was this review helpful to you?
Nah, not for me
I watch BL for the love, so there is no reason for me to stick around when a story completely lacks it. I can't root for a relationship built on abuse, no matter what the backstory or justifications might be. Toxicity just isn't something I can overlook.The first 30 seconds of episode 1 already left a bad taste in my mouth, and I barely knew how to push through from there. I ended up dropping it just 8 minutes in.
If you enjoy this kind of drama, by all means, go ahead and enjoy it. But I'm off to find shows I’ll actually like, rather than something that frustrates me and gives me another reason to give up on BL altogether. Chinese BL used to be a reliable go-to for relatively healthy stories, but I guess not anymore, it feels like they're in a competition to create the most toxic tops possible.
Was this review helpful to you?
Couldn’t even finish one episode
I’ve not watched anything with the fl. I tried one an episode of another show she’s in, didn’t like her acting there, so dropped it. I wanted to give her another chance but oh boy, I still finding her acting and those of others very cringey. 😬 that’s just my opinion, if you loved this good for you.Was this review helpful to you?
