Editorials
A Perfectly Acceptable Romcom
Sometimes, I just want to watch pretty people in pretty clothes and surroundings entertain me. Perfect Crown fit that need perfectly.The Good:
• There's something about IU I like. She was achingly believable in My Mister, mesmerizing in Hotel del Luna, heartbreaking in Moon Lovers: SHR, and authentic in The Producers. She did well here as the striving, overachieving chaebol trying to secure her position by becoming royalty.
• Byeon Woo Seok was the perfect Prince Charming: tall, handsome, and a bit tragic.
• Gong Seung Yeon did a fantastic job as the Queen. She was a scene stealer.
• The supporting cast of a secondary romantic couple (very sweet and just the right amount of time so as to not take away from the main couple); the family members; and the villain were all top notch.
The Bad:
• The characters weren't consistent. Evil, vindictive people don't flip a switch and become decent and caring. Am I supposed to believe treating a child with demeaning, cold neglect was done out of some noble purpose? A person who has grasped for power all her life suddenly walked away from it? An ambitious person who has never actively pursued the object of his affection becomes willing to risk his career and soul by killing for her?
• The politics and machinations were never fully explained. Once the villain was exposed, there was no mention of him again.
• The drama felt as though entire scenes were cut, because the edits didn't always make sense.
• I realize this is an odd complaint, but those fake press-on nails were distracting. I'd feel relief when suddenly they were gone (hospital scene and others), but they'd return in the next scene. This is the second recent K-drama I've watched with those bad press-on nails. I hope this isn't a trend. I suffer through bad wigs in sageuks; must I suffer through bad nails in modern dramas?
Was this review helpful to you?
Nothing is Secret That Will Not be Revealed...
Thanks to Tat for the recommendation. I needed a break from blood -spewing wuxias and mindless romcoms, and this was a welcome change. Zhao Lu Si was perfection as the closed off, careful schemer. William Chan did admirably as her chameleon lead, at first charming the viewer as a thoughtful suitor until he revealed his cold, manipulative nature.I hate lying, despise liars, and tire of drama misunderstandings, but those issues were dealt with a deft hand and made sense. I was sympathetic to the FL's need to create a carefully crafted, totally bogus image of herself. The misunderstandings that derived from her duplicity occurred naturally and were understandable. The overriding narrative of the drama is that nothing remains secret forever, and there is a price to pay for dishonesty.
The character development of the ML and FL was compelling as their masks were dropped, and they became increasingly honest with one another.
The final episodes sullied the drama a bit by having too many over-the-top conflicts presented and overcome. At least one, if not more, of the ridiculous scenarios should have been discarded. I can only suspend belief so far until reality rips me out of the story.
I added a half star for Zhao Lu Si's acting.
Was this review helpful to you?
I Think I Watched a Different Version Than Most MDLers
I can't be objective in rating, because, at some point, I began hate watching. I think the overly-loud music that drowned out the dialogue made me turn into an old, crotchety man (I'm female).The Good:
• I liked the actors even when I disliked their characters.
• The 2ML wasn't toxic.
• It kept my interest, and I didn't drop it. It did help that it was shorter than most C-dramas.
The Bad:
• Oh, the frustrating inconsistencies. We're told and shown that the ML was so afraid of fire that he lived in the dark, not allowing candles to be burned around him. As soon as that was established, the writer immediately forgot about his fear, and the ML never showed any concern about candles and even carried around a bunny lantern. It was established that he had super speed. He could move so fast, he was nearly invisible to the eye. He seemed to forget this and moved slowly in a crisis.
• The FL was irritating. I don't mind damsels in distress if they didn't bring disaster upon themselves, but this one didn't have two brain cells to rub together. She never told people what she was planning and made stupid decisions which made everyone have to rescue her all the time. I felt sorry for the ML actor's back, because he was forever having to carry the FL after she fainted, fell, or foolishly got herself into trouble. She rarely carried through with anything; someone else had to rectify her mistakes.
• I shouldn't pick on the FL too much. Everyone took stupid pills. When they had the villain injured and at their mercy, instead of imprisoning him, they walked away because the FL was injured. He was right there, injured, and they walked away.
• The FL, heavily cloaked and veiled, walked into the King's quarters. I guess all the palace guards were on break that day.
• How nice for the Crown Prince (2ML) that he wasn't needed in his country and could hang out with friends, even when his father was injured.
• The bit with the FL's brother was bizarre. I can accept that the blood bond might make him take on some of her qualities, but he was channeling someone else, not her!
• The rules for the tree were inconsistent, or maybe I was too busy watching the boom mic infringe on the scene and missed something. Also, what the heck happened to the second heart of the tree?
• I can appreciate sacrifice, but I can't condone evading responsibility. At the end, the ML's choice left his people without his leadership and his child without his guidance.
I'm adding a point in a desire to be fair to the actors, but this is a never-rewatch drama for me.
Was this review helpful to you?
"Autism is not a tragedy. Ignorance is a tragedy." - Kim Stagliano
Joo Won's portrayal of an autistic savant, Park Si On, was masterful. His posture, eye avoidance, and speech were spot on. The character's medical skills and knowledge were superior, but his social skills and inability to parse the actions and emotions of those around him were stumbling blocks that could have prevented a career in his field.As with most of us, Park Si On withdrew and became more confused and flustered under continual harassment and condemnation. He was fortunate to have a caring mentor who initially fought for Park Si On's chance to serve at the hospital. He gave Si On the chance; it was up to Si On to make the best of it. As he continued to prove himself, Si On gained more acceptance. With less bullying and harassment, he began to thrive and become a respected member of the medical team. Neurodivergent or not, isn't it true that we all do our best when we feel accepted, loved, and supported?
As someone on the spectrum with ample experience with others with varying degrees of autism, I found one concept of the show laughable: autism was deemed curable. And this in a medical show of all places! The hospital staff were wanting assurances that Park Si On had received treatment and was cured or mostly cured. To be certain, there are degrees, and many with autism function quite well in society, even excelling. Many can likely pass as "normal" (whatever that is!), but there are others who are more affected and can't assimilate or hide their mannerisms or quirks. Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition. There is no cure, but there are coping mechanisms like behavioral or occupational therapies to help people function to the best of their abilities and to feel more comfortable with themselves and others. As with most things in life, respect and love are the best "cures" for what ails mankind.
I added a half star for Joo Won's fantastic performance.
Was this review helpful to you?
Imaginative Sets and Wonderful Actors
I wanted to watch something short, funny, and fluffy. This had some very cute moments, especially with Cho Jun Young's portrayal of Nam Gi Jeong—a young man experiencing his first love. He was adorable. Amidst the fluff were life lessons, some of them uncomfortable but relatable.The Good:
• The found family of people who enjoyed drawing together was a highlight. Their supportive, encouraging camaraderie brought out the best in each of them.
• I loved the set of their art studio/cafe. That was worth the watch in and of itself.
• Kim Seul Ki always nails her part, but she was especially charismatic as Black Finger.
• It was fun to see Noh Min Woo guest star as the cafe owner. I liked the dog, Bigfoot, too.
The Bad:
• I found it stressful when the FL was unkind to ML unnecessarily. He was nothing but thoughtful and loving towards her, but her insecurities caused her to treat him the worst. The harder he tried, the colder she treated him.
• I realize this is just a drama, and a comedy at that, but abusive parents don't change overnight and become a happy family. I've never seen an abusive family heal itself. Generally, the only option for children is escape.
Was this review helpful to you?
What's Immature, Obnoxious, Arrogant, and Adorable? Gu Yan Zhen!
How I enjoyed this! I'd been dubious about pretty Bai Lu playing the role of a boy, but she did an admirable job. I could almost believe she was a young soldier if I squinted just right and suspended belief. Thank goodness, the make-up artists went light on mascara and lipstick. The last drama I watched with a woman dressed as a man was The First Jasmine, and it was laughable that anyone thought the woman with lipstick, plucked and penciled eyebrows, mascara, and noticeable breasts was a man. But I digress. Bai Lu must have been wrapped well, because her lady bits were well camouflaged. And she acted in a masculine manner and became stronger as the drama progressed.I didn't recognize Xu Kai until I checked the credits. He'd only begun his drama career, and he was so young. Just a pup! Yet he played the role with style—he made the character of Gu Yan Zhen his own. I don't know if tight black leather pants were really a thing in the Chinese Republican Era, but they should have been. Xu Kai was impeccably styled throughout the drama in cravats, long coats, leather vests, and a wide array of boots.
Were the fight scenes ridiculous? Invariably. Fifty against one was handled easily. Did the heroes get critical wounds? Of course, but they were up and ready for action in a matter of days. And was the villainess annoying? So much so that I'm not willing to watch another drama featuring the actress for awhile!
The Good:
• The cast was large but handled well, giving several story arcs to individuals. The chemistry of the ensemble was relatable—starting as strangers, evolving to friends or enemies, and ending as close as siblings.
• Great character growth.
• Wonderful sense of camaraderie.
• I was given a new perspective on that time period in China. I hadn't considered that dismantling the monarchy would have had support from some of the Chinese people, even though it was done forcefully by a foreign nation.
The Bad:
• Patriotism was a bit overbearing. I appreciate the love of one's homeland, but I don't want to be bludgeoned repeatedly with it in a drama.
• Qu Man Ting got on my nerves. I was grateful when she disappeared for a while late in the drama.
• Guns in most Asian shows are unnerving. There is NO trigger or muzzle discipline. Fingers are on the trigger while riding in a fast-moving car on a dirt road, and the gun is pointed at the head of the hostage. One bad bump (or even an unexpected sneeze) and the upholstery is going to be splattered red. I cringed when Gu Yan Zhen was cleaning his gun and looked down the barrel. And those scenes where the soldiers surround the enemy and begin firing wildly into them? Plan on lots of friendly fire. I was amused that people who were shot fell down instantly dead from one bullet, no matter where they were shot. How considerate of them!
Arsenal Military Academy rates high as one of my favorite Chinese Republican Era dramas. The story was original, the cast was fun, and it had some sweet moments. I added a half star due to pure enjoyment.
Was this review helpful to you?
Chaos and Hotpots
The drama came out of the gate fast and frenetic, full of zany fun and energy. I thought I had a handle on what to expect—a light-hearted romcom—but the drama kept expanding my expectations. The comedy was served with a side of thoughtfulness, a generous dollop of tragedy, and some delicious revenge for dessert.The Good:
• The action never lagged, because there was always a new twist, character, or situation to figure out. This is a drama that might improve on second watching, because a great deal was thrown at the viewer with explanations, if given at all, only provided indirectly or at a later part of the drama.
• The leads had great chemistry together. It felt as though they were enjoying themselves as much as their intended audience.
• The costumes, sets, and visuals were beautiful.
• The OST enhanced the scenes.
The Bad:
• The crown prince was underutilized. He either needed a larger story arc or a smaller one. I understood his father's attitude toward him, but if he planned on him being his successor, he should have introduced him to the consort early on. The Emperor knew from personal experience the horrific life of a puppet crown prince. How could he, in good conscience, not intervene? Poor little prince. (I do wish they'd used different actors to portray the Crown Prince and the Emperor as a child to lessen confusion. I had to keep trying to figure out which was which in a scene. It didn't help that the Empress Dowager looked the same in both situations. Yes, the drama had a cute intro for the young Emperor's parts which helped, but I'm still going to complain.)
• Could we NOT George RR Martin all my favorite characters?
• I felt a bit let down by the ending.
I was going to rate 8 stars, but it deserves an extra half star for the leads' enjoyable relationship.
Was this review helpful to you?
Musical Noona Romance Hits Some Good Notes
The couple met in an e-game which allowed for fantasy locations, fun visuals (leaping from a building in formal dress into pastel balloons), and wardrobe. This, and the music angle (the FL was a singer), differentiated Love Scenery from other romance dramas.The cast was good. I liked the leads; they had chemistry when the script allowed, and I enjoyed their interactions. If all the ML's friends were supposed to be irritating idiots, the actors did their job superbly. The FL had an irritating idiot of an assistant; the actress played her part well, as I cringed every time she opened her mouth. The secondary romance was a trial to get through: a persistent stalker and a woman who stopped living meaningfully because of betrayal. I don't have much patience for either of those, so their screen time was something of an endurance test, and it went on seemingly forever.
It was a relief all the parents and grandparents were supportive of the older woman celebrity/younger man college student romance. One trope averted! The OST was enjoyable. And I liked the cat and dog. That cat looked like she was living her best life. So often in dramas, cats looked stressed and unhappy.
Recommended for those who don't mind the ML and FL almost connecting but missing one another for about the first ten episodes. It's not a slow burn—it's a never-ignited romance for too long. Once again, I'll remind the reader that I am missing a strong romance gene, and MDL's rating of 8.3 shows that many would disagree with my assessment that this is an average drama.
I've added a half star for the cat's obvious enjoyment of being cuddled and for Lin Yi's crooked little fingers (my husband's fingers are crooked, too).
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Cute Dog, Lovable Brother, and Inane Emperor
Si Jin contained many tropes, but it was highly watchable. The cast, including the dog, elevated it from an average drama.The Good:
• The swift pace kept the story interesting. There were many ongoing crises to be navigated and overcome.
• The romance between two intelligent, decent people was rewarding.
• Huang Yi's depiction of a villainess was chilling, but it was masterful in allowing her vulnerabilities to be shown.
• Xu Hao portrayed pure narcissism: she was evil with a cute face. Still, the viewer understood how her upbringing, or lack thereof, had brought her to that point. Even that bit of understanding and sympathy didn't lessen my desire to see her suffer a quick and unequivocal demise. It needed to be thorough, like the execution of a vampire: a stake through the heart, decapitation, burning the body, and then nuke it from orbit to be sure. No halfway measures. Two out of four was barely acceptable.
• The most endearing character was played by Zhang Chi. His interactions with his sister, brother-in-law, and love interest brought levity, charm, and warmth to the drama.
• Er Niu, the dog.
The Bad:
• I've never understood why, in most transmigration/reincarnation events, the protagonist didn't take full advantage of previous knowledge to orchestrate outcomes better. Jiang Si re-entered her body ten years in the past with all the knowledge of what had transpired in that time and had many opportunities to take people into her confidence, to warn of possibilities, and to purposefully manipulate situations. For the most part, she was passive and handled each crisis as it happened.
• Was it ever explained how Jiang Si returned or became the Saintess? It was mentioned that Yu died for her, but there was no further explanation of which I'm aware. The flashbacks were unnecessarily vague and confusing.
• Most dilemmas were settled satisfactorily, but did I fall asleep and miss how the timid sister escaped marriage to the sickly son of a magistrate? Or was that never addressed again?
• I'd expected more from the emperor, but I guess we all have blind spots for our loved ones.
• Lazy writing. Let's have the maid slip our private letter halfway through the gate on a busy street so our enemies or anyone else can retrieve it. Let's talk about big secrets in our normal voices without having anyone outside to watch for spies. It's not like we have servants to do that job.
• Do all romantic couples need to leave one another for a distant land for a long period of time after finally getting together? I tire of this trope. At least, this couple communicated by carrier pigeon, unlike modern dramas that pretend cell phones and the internet don't exist in other cities and countries.
I'm adding an extra half star solely because of the emperor's line of being a good judge of people made my jaw drop.
Was this review helpful to you?
Uneasy Alliance
I was getting "The Double" vibes in the beginning, and I settled in for a treat. And it was compelling, initially. The FL was mesmerizing as the abandoned child grown into a scheming survivor. When the equally calculating ML met her, the intrigues grew into dueling agendas. They reluctantly agreed to assist each other when their objectives matched, but it was an uneasy alliance filled with distrust and lies.The Good:
• The story had enough twists and action to keep me engaged. It did lose steam as it progressed but was still very watchable.
• The actors nailed their parts. Yu En Tai was masterful as the mild-manner father. I couldn't take my eyes off of Wen Zheng Rong when she was on screen.
• The ML was a stoic character, but his interactions with his little daughter were delightful. The actor could infuse some warmth into his frigid character with his smiles, indulgent attitude, and hugs when playing with the child.
• Beautiful costumes. Love those capes with the fur collars.
• Lovely scenery. I was amused at all the flowers blooming in the snow every shot, but, whatever. Ancient China must have had special growing zones.
• I sometimes grouse about open endings, but I admired how the viewer was left to interpret the final scene. Inventive!
The Bad:
• Both the ML and FL were morally gray characters. I empathized with them, but I never grew to like them. ML was willing to lie and endanger others for his purposes. He was comfortable with torture. FL was willing to kill the innocent in order to obtain her revenge. I admired their bravery and intelligence (but why were they always one step behind the villain?), but their ruthless natures made it hard for me to love them.
• This was a revenge, not a romance, drama, but I had hoped for a little more between the leads. It felt as though the drama was headed there, but those sweet moments never materialized.
• At the end, the FL admitted to the ML that there was one more thing she had lied to him about. He told her the past was in the past and to enjoy their beautiful future. Well, that's fine for him! What about me? I want to know what the other lie was!
• There was a bit too much "girl power" evangelizing. Even when I fully agree with the sentiment, I hate having it preached to me. Repeatedly.
• I had to suspend disbelief far too many times.
I added a half star for that imaginative take on an open ending.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
The Cast Elevated a Convoluted Script
At the beginning, I thought this was going to be an "oops, I hit my head and now I'm in the Goryeo Dynasty," but later it seemed it was a body switch between two women: one real and one a fictional side character in a novel. Unfortunately, the story never addressed the ancient transported to the modern world, and it was treated as if she just automatically fit in with short hair (which was shameful in her era) and technology. She didn't even have a language barrier or an issue with Hangul.The Good:
• I was grateful the 2ML wasn't part of a love triangle. One trope dodged! Once the ML and FL chose one another, their relationship was solid. No unnecessary break-ups. Second trope averted!
• I liked the message: "Revenge is for those who can't turn back." The ML was willing to turn back once he loved the FL. He wanted to offer the other prince a chance at laying down his hatred and redeeming his life.
• TFNwtD was surprisingly kissy for a K-drama. Good ones, too—not the we're-30-years-old-and-look-like-awkward-teens kind of kisses. I'm a bit old school and am not comfortable with excess screen affection, but, if it's going to be part of a drama, it should look competent.
• Do Hwa Seon was spoiled and evil. Ji Hye Won did a great job in the role. I couldn't help but like her!
The Bad:
• I can't decide if there weren't enough cutaways from the past to the future or there were too many. As it was, there weren't enough to make a coherent backstory or there were too many that intruded upon the story of the past.
• The lack of cohesion and the proliferation of confusing storylines marred a potentially good drama. K-dramas are usually masterful in blending intrigue, action, and comedy, but this was was loaded with the comedy in the beginning and heavy with drama at the end; it was unbalanced.
• As is often the case, the villains were forgiven, redeemed, or their bad deeds ignored. What's a little murder or treason between friends? This trend is deadly in the real world, and it's unsatisfying in the fictional one.
I really should have given my 7.5 star rating for standard fare, but I added a half star because Ok Taec Yeon looks great in historical dress, wields a sword well, and emotes with his eyes.
Was this review helpful to you?
I Promise You Won't Experience Second Lead Syndrome
I needed another calm drama like Road Home (real life has provided plenty of angst lately, thank you very much), and this featured the same actress (and snow) of Amidst a Snowstorm of Love, which was just about as chill as it gets. Oddly enough, like Road Home, Shine on Me had attractive snow scenes and rugged desert scenes.The Good:
• There were beautiful visuals: plum blossoms, canal scene, ski resort lit in the dark, sweeping desert vistas, and Shanghai neon shining at night.
• FL's younger cousin was a delightful addition. He was sweet with just the right amount of ornery. Their interactions felt authentic. Although they teased one another unmercifully, it was always apparent they cared about each other.
• The OST complemented the drama excellently. The lyrics were on point, and the music was fitting.
• The snow figurines were darling.
The Bad:
• The last two episodes could have been squished into previous episodes. I didn't need the time skips. As the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I really didn't need all the lovey-dovey stuff at the end.
• Entitled one-sided loves who don't know when to give up are tiresome. And is it really love if you don't trust or believe in that person?
• Some characters faded away with no further mention of them.
I added an extra half star for the younger cousin. Finn Han's acting was natural and appealing. He made a small role memorable.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Slow but Beautiful
Road Home was a gentle love story between two people with nearly everyone against their relationship, especially family and friends. The pace was slow, but the actors kept this viewer's attention. The ML, especially, did a notable job with his stoic, quiet presence, mainly emoting from his eyes.The Good:
• The cinematography was outstanding. The snowscapes were spectacular. I was bundled up in my cozy red blanket while it snowed outside my window in real life, but my view wasn't nearly as magical as a night scene in Qining with the houses reflecting colored light on the wintery snow. The desert scenes were equally majestic with mountains, canyons, and gorges dominating the screen.
• Once the ML and FL were grown, they acted like adults in love. The FL was a refreshing departure from the 30-years-old-acting-like-a-12-year-old virginal damsel. She actively pursued the ML and admired his body openly.
The Bad:
• Unless you're a completionist, there's little need to watch the last episode, as it's a rehash of previous scenes which have already been viewed multiple times, and it felt anti-climatic. Good scenes were shown repeatedly in long flashbacks throughout the drama. Cutting or shortening those repetitive flashbacks could have trimmed at least four episodes (conservatively) and tightened up the story telling.
• Chinese dramas (and Korean ones, to a lesser extent) often like to rehabilitate, overlook, or forgive the villains. A violent, abusive, alcoholic man who cheated on his wife, beat his children, and actively tried to destroy their futures realized the error of his ways, stopped drinking, returned to his wife, and became a better man. If only life worked that way!
• There's more rah-rah propaganda than action.
Was this review helpful to you?
Dangerous Romance
A meek doctor and an elegant shop owner wed, but their mild personas were facades for their dangerous abilities.Being a short length series, there wasn't time for filler, and the drama never dragged. The leads were good, married romance was passionate (as it should be but rarely is in dramaland), and the story was interesting until the final episodes. I was left confused, unsure what happened with the prince. The subs were often odd, and I couldn't determine whether that was for comedic purpose or an inept AI language translation situation.
Was this review helpful to you?
Campy Mad Scientist Battled Beautiful People
Take an evil villain, four beautiful boys, and an average girl and her capable best friend and place them in a tale of conflict between taking over the world and finding one's place in it.The drama had the potential to ask universal questions about relationships and discerning fantasy from reality, but it swung like a Newton's cradle from deeper meaning to nonsensical fluff. Intelligence and common sense weren't a part of the movement, but, even so, it was diverting and occasionally mesmerizing. Love Crossed couldn't decide if it was a romcom or a sci-fi action series.
I'd like to see a drama with Zhang Ling He and Fan Shuai Qi as the leads (they were, unfortunately, the second leads). They were striking together. Her strong and decisive character was a nice departure from the typical inept damsels in distress.
The last episode was filled with cringe and happily ever afters, with all the wish fulfillment possible. Too kissy for me. I felt embarrassment for the adults in the room watching the kids fawn over one another.
I added a half star for Tien Niu's performance as the motorcycle riding granny. It was as unrealistic as the story, but she almost made it believable.
Was this review helpful to you?

2
2
1
1
1
1