What most viewers forget is that the company has stipulated that employees are not allowed to date or have relationships. Both Luke and Flora flaunt this rule. For six years these two carry on a secret affair. If you want these two to be open and honest with each other, put them in a situation where they can be open and honest. Not when they are in the middle of flaunting company policy.
When she first enters the building for work, she has a pep in her step. She is excited and eager to learn. She is self confident enough to send her work sample to the HR person even after she has been turned down for the position. Gradually throughout the drama, she becomes insecure, hides her feelings, and thoughts. I would even say becomes depressed. She can't express her true thoughts for fear that they will come back and bite her as Luke is her boss. When she has expressed her feelings, he slaps them down and tells her she's stupid. He has all the power and can fire her at will at anytime. This power imbalance doesn't stop at work. It has even entered their love life. He controls everything about her life who she can be friends with, what she can do, and even how she handles situations. She didn't have any insecurities until she met him. Yes, Luke has been good for her in her work life, but it comes at a cost in her personal life.
She is happiest when she goes away to the northeastern region because she finally feels free to be herself. She doesn't have that pressure of having to hide until he comes.
The closing scene of episode 19? is very telling. She starts to initiate sex, and he refuses saying that Luke is in the room. What this tells you is he is back in control of the relationship. He manipulates when things happen, including sex. This entire drama has been about him manipulating situations to fit his needs.
I'm just starting episode 20 and don't see much character growth in him. In her, I see more character regression in her personal life and personal growth in her work life.
EXACTLY! It baffles me that so many commenters here have forgotten or just choose to completely ignore this fundamental…
I disagree. Both are criminals. Just because Luke didn't force her to have sex physically, he forces her emotionally. If someone repeatedly tells you that you are not good enough for the position and then dangles sex in front you, what would you do? Especially if you are just fresh out of college and working with someone who can help advance your career.
For me, what Luke does is far worse than what Dony does. What Dony does the blame falls strictly on Dony. In Flora and Luke's situation, the blame falls on her for consenting and accepting his advances which is what Luke wanted. For me, this drama has done nothing but glamorize sexual harassment in the name of love. I am only on episode 17, so I hope it changes.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
I don't know about in China, but in my country, the relationship between the two main leads would be considered…
Thank you for the explanation and for the Chinese definition of sexual harassment. Don't know if I will finish it as the relationship relies too much on plot armor to be a strong story.
As I wrote to another commenter, sexual harassment doesn't necessarily mean physical sexual advances, it could also be emotional manipulation. The writers set Luke up as someone who is brutal in his comments. He is controlling and loves to manipulate people to get what he wants. As the boss, he even scoffs at the company rules and feels like they do not apply to him. And for the sake of this drama (plot armor) they don't.
Viewers who do not see the manipulation he does to get her to consent need to watch the drama again. He is very careful with his words and actions in those scenes. When she could not remember her address, he is the boss. He could have looked it up in the company files on his phone right then and there or called his HR person to do it. He could have answered her phone when the other guy kept calling. He chose to take her to his home. He chose to let her "sleep it off". He chose to not answer her phone. This lets you know that he has something else in mind. Once she is "sober", he should have taken her home immediately. He does everything to manipulate the situation to his advantage. Also, the fact that he doesn't do this for any of his other employees let's you know that this arrangement is special. You can call it love if you want to, but I don't see it that way.
Thanks again for the discussion and your take. I am on episode 17. Probably won't have time to finish it until the weekend. Happy drama watching.
I don't know about in China, but in my country, the relationship between the two main leads would be considered…
Actually, their affair is wrong according to the company policy. This company policy was mentioned several times during the first two episodes. Just because no one turns them in, doesn't make it right even if they are two consenting adults. The story is driven by their affair (plot armor). If someone told on them, the story would be over, so that argument is out the door.
Here are the facts. Luke is her boss directly at first and later indirectly. He has the power to hire and fire her at will at any time. Her job is literally in his hands. This was shown at her interview when he refuses to hire her. She is only saved by the HR person. He even scoffs at the notion of the company policy as he feels he is above the rules, and for the sake of this story he is right.
When he finds out she has feelings for him and initiates physical contact , as the boss and knowing the company rules, regardless of his feelings, he should have set boundaries or helped her find a different job, so that they could be together out in the open. The fact that he says they must date in secret tells you that something isn't right, consensual or not. That entire scene shows his controlling nature. He knows what to say and do to get what he wants when he should have just walked away. Also, in the first few lines she states, "For six years, I was in a shameful, hidden relationship." Again, this tells you something wasn't right about the relationship. So I am not the one twisting the relationship. The story shows you how he manipulates things to get what he wants. Though he doesn't force her physically, he does so emotionally, especially at the beginning of the relationship.
I have not watched the entire drama. I'm on episode 15.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
I don't know about in China, but in my country, the relationship between the two main leads would be considered…
If the company has a policy that employees are not allowed to carry on a relationship or date, then what Luke and Flora are doing is against company policy. It doesn't matter who started it or that it is consensual from both parties. The fact that they have to keep it secret tells you that what they are doing is wrong.
What the drama doesn't state is the consequences if they are found dating. Three things could happen. Both could be fired. He could be fired or she could be fired. Most people think it would be her, but in China I believe it would be the boss as he was in a position of power and has more influence on the image of the company. So what the company thinks does matter, especially in this situation.
This is clearly illustrated when she files sexual harassment charges against Dony who made it perfectly clear that he would help her advance if she had sex with him. Just because Luke asked for her consent doesn't make it any different than Dony. Luke is in a position of power.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
I don't know about in China, but in my country, the relationship between the two main leads would be considered…
If a company policy says that employees should not carry on a relationship, then the relationship that Luke and Flora have goes against the company policy whether it is consensual or not. There is no gray area even for her.
Now, what is not stated are the consequences if two employees are caught dating. Three possibilities could happen. Both are fired or one or the other is fired. Now, to my thinking since Luke is in a position of power, it will be him who is fired, not her, as she is the subordinate. So even if they are caught, she pretty much could consent and still come out on top. Even if you don't see her as victim, the company would as she would have been taken advantage of by a superior.
Now, I know that you think she uses this to her advantage, and you would be right. He stops threatening to fire her and even starts complimenting her instead of belittling her all the time. It's all because she consented to the sexual relationship and continues to. What she does is no better than him. However, because he holds the position of power, he would be the one in the wrong.
I don't know about in China, but in my country, the relationship between the two main leads would be considered…
I have been watching this drama very carefully from the beginning to where I am, episode 15. Up until the time she consents to have a sexual relationship with him, he threatens practically everyday that she should be fired. He even stops belittling her when she continues to carry on the relationship. I don't need to watch the drama again, maybe you need to watch it again to catch these details.
EXACTLY! It baffles me that so many commenters here have forgotten or just choose to completely ignore this fundamental…
Actually, neither of them can have a normal relationship under those circumstances. Since I don't know what the consequences are if two employees are found to a have relationship, I can only speculate. There are three possibilities. Both would be fired, Luke would be fired, or Flora would be fired. My thinking is Flora would not be the one fired as just like Dony, Luke is in the position of power. There is nothing different between what Dony does to Flora and what Luke does to Flora. Both men have sexually harassed her. The only difference is Luke has plot armor and Dony doesn't.
While the drama wants to distinguish the differences between Dony and Luke, Luke only stops threatening to fire her once she consents to a sexual relationship. He also gradually stops insulting and belittling her when she continues to carry on the relationship with him.
Also, I disagree with you on Flora going with Alex. If Alex had been an upright guy, I would agree. However, Alex allowed one of his subordinates to slander Luke in order to get the general manager position. Alex, the leader, made her take the fall when it should have been him. The girl went with Alex to the new place. Now, what would happen if something goes wrong at the new place? Flora would, like Luke said, be the first to take the fall, and she would be right back where she started. Would she be free and clear of Luke, yes, but she would be in a more precarious place. That is why the conversation between Luke and his friend at the time was so important. Was Luke afraid that Flora would leave Lime, leave him, or both?
Finally, I think the reason why commenters are forgetting the rule is because the drama has dropped the rule. The drama writers have given both main characters plot armor to hold the story together which makes for a weak story.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
I don't know about in China, but in my country, the relationship between the two main leads would be considered…
If your boss told you everyday that you should be fired and then fell in love with you what would you do, especially if you're not in love with them? Luke only stops saying he will fire her when she agrees to the sexual relationship. That is sexual harassment at least in my country. Also, when she says no, he keeps pestering her until she consents.
In addition, the drama doesn't seem to be stressing this, but the company has a policy that employees do not have relationships with other employees equal status or not. So consensual or not both parties are in the wrong. The boss more so as he is in a position power over her. So it really doesn't matter if she consents or not, so it is black and white.
“You don’t have to be perfect to be worthy of love.” That’s the predominant message of this drama.
Thank you for telling me what it says in the introduction to each episode. I caught the type written note.
Also, I understand what you are saying and agree. For me, the whole storyline of boss and subordinate doesn't really fit the message of what they are wanting to say. The only way it works is if you consider being the boss a flaw and being a subordinate a flaw in the relationship, and the relationship between them is inappropriate. But the drama doesn't seem to be stressing that presently.
Just my take. I know that I am in the minority. I usually am when it comes to dramas.
People should understand that relationships are sometimes in a grey area. If the ML’s approach towards the FL…
I don't know about in China, but in my country, the relationship between the two main leads would be considered sexual harassment because of their power imbalance in the work place. No matter if she quit, agreed to it, or reported it.
“You don’t have to be perfect to be worthy of love.” That’s the predominant message of this drama.
Presently, I am on episode 15. I understand what you are saying and agree with it. Yet, no one in this entire drama has talked about or even argued that any of the characters are undeserving of love, not even Luke. So I don't get where that is the predominant theme. Now at some point, the characters themselves may think that they are unworthy of love, but up to where I am at, even this is not demonstrated.
That's why I asked if it comes at a later time. I have read in the comment section that in episode 21, she finally leaves the company. Please don't tell me why. But quite frankly, I feel like I have watched 15 episodes of glamorized sexual harassment and will have to watch 6 more episodes before it finally stops.
I know I'm in the minority, but this drama has made no sense from the beginning. Even with all of the symbolism splashed in different places, the storyline is extremely weak, especially if what you have said is the main theme.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
After watching twelve episodes of this drama, all I can say is that in my country the two main leads' relationship would be considered sexual harassment on his part because of the power imbalance between the two. Just because they are two consenting adults doesn't make what they are doing right.
Also, the drama seems to have forgotten its own rule that employees are not allowed to carry on a relationship. When Luke and his friend are talking about how to solve Luke's problem with her not talking to Luke after Luke had to discipline her for her work mistake, they act like this is a "normal" relationship and try to solve it using "normal" methods. It is not a normal relationship and will never be a normal relationship until one of them leaves the company.
Just tell me one thing, I'm impatient. Shen Haoming knows Xu Yan's deal right ? Because I feel like it's impossible…
Exactly, they both have ambitions. She wants to be a news anchor and he wants a wife who is just like his mother's friends. But not just any wife. His wife needs be hard working, intelligent, beautiful, and manipulable. XY fits this description perfectly as she will do anything to keep what she thinks is real love.
Since I don't know how far you are, I don't want to say too much. You are right. XY thinks they have an emotional connection (love). In episode 12, she begins to see that this marriage or love may not be what she thought it was. Because she is in love with him and thinks he is in love with her, the reason for all of his presents becomes a knife and makes her feel worthless. On top of that she has lied about her family background and created a fake family. Since she can't tell him the truth out of fear that she will lose his love, the love and affection she thought they had disappears and her life becomes about transactions, not love, which is all she really wants and thought she had.
Hope this helps. The agave plant really is a wonderful symbol for their marriage at this time.
Just tell me one thing, I'm impatient. Shen Haoming knows Xu Yan's deal right ? Because I feel like it's impossible…
Yes, there is definitely some foreshadowing going on that he is also not what he appears to be. The symbolism of the agave plant is very important during the first 14 episodes. I love all the symbolism in the first half, especially with the mirrors! Have a great weekend.
Ik i’m gonna be in the minority but I’m not the kind of person to support every women because I’m a womanwhy…
I agree and disagree with you. Both are victims and perpetrators, but her con has nothing to do with getting the benefits he could give her. It's about keeping what she thought was real love. If she was in it for what he could give her, she wouldn't have walked away from her job, him, and the family. When she walked away, she had everything she wanted a family, dream job, etc. What she didn't have and wanted was love and to be chosen. At that time being with him was detrimental to her self worth.
When she first enters the building for work, she has a pep in her step. She is excited and eager to learn. She is self confident enough to send her work sample to the HR person even after she has been turned down for the position. Gradually throughout the drama, she becomes insecure, hides her feelings, and thoughts. I would even say becomes depressed. She can't express her true thoughts for fear that they will come back and bite her as Luke is her boss. When she has expressed her feelings, he slaps them down and tells her she's stupid. He has all the power and can fire her at will at anytime. This power imbalance doesn't stop at work. It has even entered their love life. He controls everything about her life who she can be friends with, what she can do, and even how she handles situations. She didn't have any insecurities until she met him. Yes, Luke has been good for her in her work life, but it comes at a cost in her personal life.
She is happiest when she goes away to the northeastern region because she finally feels free to be herself. She doesn't have that pressure of having to hide until he comes.
The closing scene of episode 19? is very telling. She starts to initiate sex, and he refuses saying that Luke is in the room. What this tells you is he is back in control of the relationship. He manipulates when things happen, including sex. This entire drama has been about him manipulating situations to fit his needs.
I'm just starting episode 20 and don't see much character growth in him. In her, I see more character regression in her personal life and personal growth in her work life.
For me, what Luke does is far worse than what Dony does. What Dony does the blame falls strictly on Dony. In Flora and Luke's situation, the blame falls on her for consenting and accepting his advances which is what Luke wanted. For me, this drama has done nothing but glamorize sexual harassment in the name of love. I am only on episode 17, so I hope it changes.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
As I wrote to another commenter, sexual harassment doesn't necessarily mean physical sexual advances, it could also be emotional manipulation. The writers set Luke up as someone who is brutal in his comments. He is controlling and loves to manipulate people to get what he wants. As the boss, he even scoffs at the company rules and feels like they do not apply to him. And for the sake of this drama (plot armor) they don't.
Viewers who do not see the manipulation he does to get her to consent need to watch the drama again. He is very careful with his words and actions in those scenes. When she could not remember her address, he is the boss. He could have looked it up in the company files on his phone right then and there or called his HR person to do it. He could have answered her phone when the other guy kept calling. He chose to take her to his home. He chose to let her "sleep it off". He chose to not answer her phone. This lets you know that he has something else in mind. Once she is "sober", he should have taken her home immediately. He does everything to manipulate the situation to his advantage. Also, the fact that he doesn't do this for any of his other employees let's you know that this arrangement is special. You can call it love if you want to, but I don't see it that way.
Thanks again for the discussion and your take. I am on episode 17. Probably won't have time to finish it until the weekend. Happy drama watching.
Here are the facts. Luke is her boss directly at first and later indirectly. He has the power to hire and fire her at will at any time. Her job is literally in his hands. This was shown at her interview when he refuses to hire her. She is only saved by the HR person. He even scoffs at the notion of the company policy as he feels he is above the rules, and for the sake of this story he is right.
When he finds out she has feelings for him and initiates physical contact , as the boss and knowing the company rules, regardless of his feelings, he should have set boundaries or helped her find a different job, so that they could be together out in the open. The fact that he says they must date in secret tells you that something isn't right, consensual or not. That entire scene shows his controlling nature. He knows what to say and do to get what he wants when he should have just walked away. Also, in the first few lines she states, "For six years, I was in a shameful, hidden relationship." Again, this tells you something wasn't right about the relationship. So I am not the one twisting the relationship. The story shows you how he manipulates things to get what he wants. Though he doesn't force her physically, he does so emotionally, especially at the beginning of the relationship.
I have not watched the entire drama. I'm on episode 15.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
What the drama doesn't state is the consequences if they are found dating. Three things could happen. Both could be fired. He could be fired or she could be fired. Most people think it would be her, but in China I believe it would be the boss as he was in a position of power and has more influence on the image of the company. So what the company thinks does matter, especially in this situation.
This is clearly illustrated when she files sexual harassment charges against Dony who made it perfectly clear that he would help her advance if she had sex with him. Just because Luke asked for her consent doesn't make it any different than Dony. Luke is in a position of power.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
Now, what is not stated are the consequences if two employees are caught dating. Three possibilities could happen. Both are fired or one or the other is fired. Now, to my thinking since Luke is in a position of power, it will be him who is fired, not her, as she is the subordinate. So even if they are caught, she pretty much could consent and still come out on top. Even if you don't see her as victim, the company would as she would have been taken advantage of by a superior.
Now, I know that you think she uses this to her advantage, and you would be right. He stops threatening to fire her and even starts complimenting her instead of belittling her all the time. It's all because she consented to the sexual relationship and continues to. What she does is no better than him. However, because he holds the position of power, he would be the one in the wrong.
Happy drama watching.
While the drama wants to distinguish the differences between Dony and Luke, Luke only stops threatening to fire her once she consents to a sexual relationship. He also gradually stops insulting and belittling her when she continues to carry on the relationship with him.
Also, I disagree with you on Flora going with Alex. If Alex had been an upright guy, I would agree. However, Alex allowed one of his subordinates to slander Luke in order to get the general manager position. Alex, the leader, made her take the fall when it should have been him. The girl went with Alex to the new place. Now, what would happen if something goes wrong at the new place? Flora would, like Luke said, be the first to take the fall, and she would be right back where she started. Would she be free and clear of Luke, yes, but she would be in a more precarious place. That is why the conversation between Luke and his friend at the time was so important. Was Luke afraid that Flora would leave Lime, leave him, or both?
Finally, I think the reason why commenters are forgetting the rule is because the drama has dropped the rule. The drama writers have given both main characters plot armor to hold the story together which makes for a weak story.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
In addition, the drama doesn't seem to be stressing this, but the company has a policy that employees do not have relationships with other employees equal status or not. So consensual or not both parties are in the wrong. The boss more so as he is in a position power over her. So it really doesn't matter if she consents or not, so it is black and white.
Happy drama watching.
Also, I understand what you are saying and agree. For me, the whole storyline of boss and subordinate doesn't really fit the message of what they are wanting to say. The only way it works is if you consider being the boss a flaw and being a subordinate a flaw in the relationship, and the relationship between them is inappropriate. But the drama doesn't seem to be stressing that presently.
Just my take. I know that I am in the minority. I usually am when it comes to dramas.
That's why I asked if it comes at a later time. I have read in the comment section that in episode 21, she finally leaves the company. Please don't tell me why. But quite frankly, I feel like I have watched 15 episodes of glamorized sexual harassment and will have to watch 6 more episodes before it finally stops.
I know I'm in the minority, but this drama has made no sense from the beginning. Even with all of the symbolism splashed in different places, the storyline is extremely weak, especially if what you have said is the main theme.
Thank you for the discussion and happy drama watching.
Also, the drama seems to have forgotten its own rule that employees are not allowed to carry on a relationship. When Luke and his friend are talking about how to solve Luke's problem with her not talking to Luke after Luke had to discipline her for her work mistake, they act like this is a "normal" relationship and try to solve it using "normal" methods. It is not a normal relationship and will never be a normal relationship until one of them leaves the company.
What is the message of this drama?
Although nothing will top LLtG and HL, for me this is one of Zhao Lu Si's best dramas.
Many viewers have said the next half of the drama is like watching a different drama. Love to hear what you think when you finish.
Happy drama watching.
Since I don't know how far you are, I don't want to say too much. You are right. XY thinks they have an emotional connection (love). In episode 12, she begins to see that this marriage or love may not be what she thought it was. Because she is in love with him and thinks he is in love with her, the reason for all of his presents becomes a knife and makes her feel worthless. On top of that she has lied about her family background and created a fake family. Since she can't tell him the truth out of fear that she will lose his love, the love and affection she thought they had disappears and her life becomes about transactions, not love, which is all she really wants and thought she had.
Hope this helps. The agave plant really is a wonderful symbol for their marriage at this time.