K-Drama
This review may contain spoilers
Traumatic Masterpiece
ML thought she killed his pregnant mistress and he sent her to prison for 5 years. Within those five years she was tortured and also gave birth to their son. When she is released she tries to start a new life without him. The show explores the darker side of chaebols and includes themes like suicide and rape. This masterpiece of acting was a phenomenal introduction into Wang Gege and her vast array of acting skills.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Just two adults living and loving
Sometimes you just need a fluffy fluff romance to end off a long stressful day. This is it. Wang Kaimu and Wang Gege are both phenominal leads to start with and pairing them together was a genius move. They have great chemistry and pulled off a great romance about two adults living and moving on from our own traumas so they we can work towards a better and happier future.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
How is this not being renewed
Everything from the acting to unpredictable storyline to incredible fight scenes was mind blowing. I've never seen Esther Yu in a completely serious role and it was AMAZING. The casting was done so well I'm not sure if they could have picked anyone better. Also, the fight scenes were just mind blowing. I know the ML and FL had amazing chemistry and were the focal point but I think my favorite storyline was Cheng Lei and Lu Yuxiao. My only regret is that I can't watch this show for the first time again. That and the absolutely insanity that this is not getting more seasons.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Amazing
This was such an original concept that was carried out well by a combination of great actors/actresses, costume/makeup, and storyline/editing.The FL and her ***sister trade off characters so unbelievably well. You can tell which character it is not by what they look like but their mannerisms ans facial expressions. honestly, a phenomenal acting feat.
I can honestly say that I have lost track of how many times I have watched it. It is also a great first chinese drama to start off with. kudos all around!
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Okay but not a romance more of a killer revenge story
There was nothing remarkably interesting about this one. Yes, she got revenge and it was slow, deliberate, and powerful but it didn't show her finding her own happiness. That is the completion viewers are looking for when watching a revenge drama. Which I categorically changed it to because there was not enough romance or relationship building for it to be.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Done Really Well Crime + Undercover Agent
This show aired while several other BIG BL and dramas were airing so it definitely had solid competition. It wasn't crazy overboard with their cast or crazy NC scenes, however, I felt that the raw chemistry and storytelling elevated this drama to a top tier. I mean the most anticipated BL this season was Oat-Boat's The Knot and this scored way higher than them. I liked the plot twist at the end where you find out they were both working for the government. It also explains his reaction to their OG conversation when he brought him home. I almost feel bad for the "sister" but she was also an assassin. Idk if it was the ponytail or just the personality of his character but cop/military dude was lit. Honestly, a job really well done. This is definitely going on my re-watch list.Was this review helpful to you?
Bei Tou Ting Xin Sheng Hou, Wo Cheng Le Di Wang De Zhang Shang Jiao Chong
0 people found this review helpful
well written characters with fluffy sweetness enough to give you cavities
i think i saw a very similar version to this one (possibly a remake) and what i liked here was the ML attitude and how well he treated the FL despite everything. He didn't let her get away with her silly antics but he also stood up for her regardless who the person was. Bless the writers for not spending an endless amount of time going in circles as the ML pretended the green tea wasn't green tea-ing. His mom bowing out in grace was probably her only wise decision the whole show. I do wonder what happened to the FLs parents? It was sweet that her brother genuinely cared for her as that wasnt common during those time periods.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Heartbreaking Love Story
A powerful look into the world of ALS. Yao Guanyu gives a stellar performance opposite Yu Yin who is slowly losing control of her body af6er being diagnosed with ALS. She has also lost her mother and is now trying to protect her half-brother from his father's family. As she helps her little brother fight for his inheritance she hits a roadblock with the ML and current heir to their familys fortune. He's color blind and fell in love with the FL years ago. The MLs heartbreak was palpable when he found out that the FL was sick and the highlight of this drama. Finally, the child actor who played the little brother was adorable and very loveable.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Fluffy Puppy Love with unnecessary overused tropes acting as plot guidelines
Liang Si Wei smiles with his entire being. He is the personification of "megawatt smile" or "a smile that brightens a room." The version i watched missed the first couple of minutes but I got the overused trope-based concept of kidnapping and then being ignored by the current male lead. Honestly, the show didnt need it. The two leads did very well creating, developing, and then nurturing that love. Despite it not technically being her first love, this was very much a puppy/first love drama that will leave you smiling at the very end. I'm so gonna get wrinkles/smile lines. Totally worth it though.Was this review helpful to you?
Still Like Leaving Someone to Shine on Fallen Flowers
0 people found this review helpful
This review may contain spoilers
Good cast with a half-baked script
Most of this drama could have been condensed into about 20 minutes but for the drama-bit it was dragged out for an hour. Also, how was the FL's father and the FL covered in major wounds and concussions able to be left around untreated for that long? The dialogue was annoyingly repetitive and I feel the writers could have introduced a new plotline or something to add more substance to the plot.The saving grace here? The cast and how well they written and acted out. I liked how they wrote the FLs parents. They protected her as much as they could despite the circumstances. Her father's silent support was sweet and heartwarming. I get the Empress Dowagers attitude but honestly, how do you start beating someone to death on your birthday...
The leads had great chemistry. I like that the emperor did try and take responsibility for her and genuinely did care for her.
Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Great but left with so many questions...
This is a high school romance where two warring students find common ground in the abuse of their parents eventually fall in love. I like that they covered both physical and mental abuse because people often forget that just because you can't see physical evidence of abuse doesnt mean it isnt there. They had great chemistry but I felt like a lot of plot points were left hanging. what happened to the FL mother? did she come back? Who did she leave her father for and why? What happened to the ML's mother? why did she allow the father to treat him like this? Also what happened to the dad and ML relationship after High school? I think I accidentally wrote the second season in my head while writing this review. Now, I'm itching to reactivate my AO3 account...Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Another version of this tale but with BOMB chemistry
While I get where he was coming from killing a random woman so you can survive and _not_ telling her is insane. The child actor did an amazing job but again the storyline was a bit rushed and oddly paced. Ma Xiaoyu and Guo Yuxin make a phenomenal pair and I hope to see them together in more dramas. This one had potential but I feel as if the production/ directing team dropped the ball here.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
There is no season 1 and yes, that confused me as well
Shen Haonan never ceases to amaze at the duality and depth of his acting. He plays an undercover cop trying to take down a crime syndicate. The FL is the surviving daughter of one of the many crime syndicates family murders. What surprised me the most was how blood thirsty the mother was and how (seemingly) softer the father (uncle) was. If the FL knew their family was behind her familys murder — why was she still so kind to him before his death? It also begs the question of just how involved he was in her family's murders. Overall done very well. Although the ending is not a happily ever after one, it is the one that makes the most sense and is in-line with thr story. There are somethings that you don't come back from and the undercover work he had to do changed him too much to ever go back. Trading his life for hers was a life well-spent for him and the closure he needed.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Light, Fluffy, and Full of Hard-Earned Love
This was a light fluffy drama that left you smiling all the way through the end. It was less about her revenge and reinvention of herself and more about this couple's life/love story. The ending scene of the leads with their grandchildren was a good choice as it really brought them full circle and gave you a "full life" view of them. It also gave proof that he did not follow in his father's footsteps in how he treated his wife. Nor any of the other male characters from their extended family who all had trouble keeping it in their pants. Speaking of keeping things in their pants; was that boy actually his brother or was the mistress just cashing in on the dad? Also, what happened to the twin sister? And her older sister – did she marry the non-gangster gangster? If so, what happened when she found out that they set her up to break her up with her ex-husband? And their younger (and adorable) brother? I'm kinda invested in their stories now. I would totally watch another two seasons of this show. I've been trying to find out if it is an adaptation but I've yet to find a confirmed source. I think the funniest part of this series was when the FL'S mom showed up and had to teach the gangsters how to collect a debt. Ugh. Now I want to watch it again. BRB. Repeating this watch.Was this review helpful to you?
This review may contain spoilers
Toxic relationship v Understanding relationship + a side of a weak king
I didnt realize why I knew the plot until the hunt scene and then i remembered i had watched it before. The bear outfits on people was so bad it was comical. Verbal abuse is still abuse his desert rose was just verbally abusive to him and he was physically abusive to her. (Amber and Johnny Depp anyone?) It also had me thinking about feminists and the original movement and what it morphed into. The original movement was supposed to be women supporting other women no matter what they chose: career, domestication, or whatever they wanted without the oppressive weight of society to do or be any one specific thing. In the 21st century we have become our own aggressors against ourselves. The glass ceiling we wanted to break – did we really break it or did we just put more people on top of it? I enjoy watching dramas by this FL because she tends to choose stronger more female-positive friendly roles. I like that she didnt settle for either prince and never apologized for waiting until the prince suffered what he put her brother through. I like that her prince met her on her level and that the two (presumably) live their life-long goals of bloodshed, conquering, and defending. (Again, not what i would plan to do with my life but hey girl you do you.)Was this review helpful to you?