News
And honestly, I am so glad I did! The storyline is incredibly fresh and entirely unique for a BL series. You really have to hand it to the Taiwanese BL industry, they consistently push the envelope and offer brand-new, out-of-the-box themes every single year instead of just recycling the exact same old tropes. The narrative here is so engaging and genuinely fascinating to follow week by week.
I will admit, in the very beginning, I was super annoyed by Chia Kai's character. He was really getting on my nerves! But the further I got into the series and watched his character development unfold, the more he completely won me over. Now, I find myself absolutely addicted to the specific, endearing way he calls out for Ta Wei, it has this undeniable charm that just hooks you completely.
What I find most impressive is how perfectly this series manages to capture my attention and build undeniable romantic tension without relying on explicit bed scenes to carry the weight of the chemistry. The emotional connection and character dynamics alone make it an unforgettable watch that will definitely stick with me. I am officially on the edge of my seat and absolutely cannot wait for the special episode to drop next week!
Was this review helpful to you?
A Rivals-to-Lovers Done Right
Even though the rivals-to-lovers trope is practically everywhere in the BL universe, this particular Japanese series holds a genuinely special place in my heart.What makes it stand out so much is Zen’s consistent character development from their high school days all the way to their adult years working side-by-side. One thing I consistently admire about Japanese productions is their casting dedication: When a story spans decades, they actually cast younger actors who look convincingly like the adult versions, rather than keeping the exact same actors across a 20-year time jump like so many Thai dramas often do. That attention to detail paid off brilliantly here. The younger counterparts didn't just share an uncanny physical resemblance, they captured the exact mannerisms and soul of Ryo and Zen, making their transition into adulthood feel authentic, grounded, and thoroughly earned.
So why can't I give it a top-tier rating? There are still narrative flaws that hold it back from perfection. I haven't read the original manga, so I can't speak to how faithful an adaptation it is, but the writing around Futami felt noticeably weak. If Futami was supposed to be an established high school friend, the show really needed to introduce or foreshadow him earlier in the story. Instead, he just suddenly drops into the plot out of nowhere to trigger conflict that ultimately felt rushed and overly simplistic.
Despite those structural hiccups, the emotional core between the leads is undeniable. The chemistry, nuanced character dynamics, and grounded tone make this an easy contender for one of my favorite BL series of the year!
Was this review helpful to you?
Ah… Almost!
Who on earth could possibly resist temptation when the "demon” looks like Barth?! 😭😭😭Gemini and Fourth are easily GMMTV’s most beloved, golden-standard pair right now. Year after year, they consistently land top-tier, high-production series, and their chemistry never misses. Frankly, they don't have a single project in their filmography that I can even critique. Their acting, comedic timing, and emotional delivery are always phenomenal.
However… (hear me out), I was actually fully prepared and braced for a gut-wrenching sad ending. But it feels like GMMTV just wasn't ready to take that emotional risk and face the wrath of heartbroken fans! This story was prime material for a devastating, poetic tragic finale, and a bittersweet ending would have given the narrative so much more lasting weight. If they had actually committed to a heartbreaking climax instead of wrapping everything up so neatly, I probably would’ve given it a solid 5-star rating without hesitation.
Well, scratch that! there's still one glaring detail that totally broke the immersion for me: How on earth do Barth and Tan still look completely identical 20 years later without aging a single day?! Seriously, guys? 😭 Not a wrinkle, not a different hairstyle, absolutely nothing changed over two whole decades! A little aging makeup or subtle styling shift would have gone a long way for realism.
Was this review helpful to you?
Unexpectedly Hooked
It’s been a very long time since I last watched a Hong Kong BL series. Honestly, I don’t even remember what the last one was. 🤔It took me about two episodes to really get into this one, but once it pulled me in, it pulled me in hard. I ended up getting really invested in both characters and especially loved their interactions. There’s just something about the chemistry between them that kept me watching, even when I wasn’t completely sure where the story was going.
And let me talk about the soundtrack for a second. At the very beginning, I honestly hated it. I was like, “Why does this sound like this?” But then, I don’t even remember which episode it was, one of the songs suddenly got stuck in my head and would not leave. Next thing I knew, I was looking for it on Spotify and adding it to my playlist. So I guess the soundtrack won in the end. 😭
The one thing that kept me from giving this more stars, though, was the ending. I was actually prepared for a sad ending. Like, emotionally prepared. I could’ve accepted it. But the way they wrapped everything up just wasn’t really my cup of tea. It felt like they were trying to give us something satisfying, but for me, it didn’t completely land.
Was this review helpful to you?
When More Story Doesn’t Mean Better Story
I honestly do not understand why they needed to make this sequel. The first movie already ended in such a good and complete way, so this one feels like something that did not really need to exist. I get that they tried to expand Joe and Anong’s love story with time travel, past lives, destiny, and all those supernatural elements, but instead of making the story deeper, it just made everything feel more complicated than necessary.What disappointed me the most is that the charm from the first movie is not really here anymore. The first one was fun, cute, and emotional in a simple but effective way. This sequel, however, feels too forced, too melodramatic, and honestly kind of boring at some points. The pacing is also quite slow, and the story jumps between different eras so much that it starts to feel messy instead of meaningful. I was waiting for the movie to give me a strong reason why this sequel had to happen, but I never really got that answer.
However, I do not think the movie is completely terrible. There are still some cute moments, and the actors still have good chemistry. Some scenes are also visually nice, and the performances help save the movie from being worse. But overall, My Boo 2 feels like an unnecessary sequel that tries too hard to add more to a story that was already complete. Instead of making me love the first movie even more, it kind of made me wish they had just left it alone.
Was this review helpful to you?
Be Careful What You Wish For
I’ve had this series sitting in my Netflix downloads for such a long time, but I finally finished it last week. Lol. Honestly, I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I did. The idea of an app that can grant your wish but eventually takes your life is actually pretty interesting, and the first few episodes immediately pulled me in. It was creepy, suspenseful, and surprisingly emotional without relying too much on gore or cheap jump scares.
I also liked how the series was not only about the curse itself, but also about the jealousy, guilt, secrets, and insecurities that already existed between the characters. Some of their decisions were definitely frustrating, but they still felt understandable because they were just scared teenagers dealing with something completely beyond them. Bang-wool was easily one of my favorite characters because he brought some humor and warmth into such a dark story. The middle part became a little slower when they started investigating the history of the curse, and I wish Na-ri’s storyline had received a clearer and more satisfying conclusion.
Still, I really enjoyed watching it, and now I honestly can’t wait for a sequel. That ending clearly suggests that the curse is not over yet, so I’m really curious about what will happen next. I guess Na-ri might become the next Si-won? or maybe she will have an even bigger role in continuing the curse? Either way, I need Season 2 because they cannot just leave us with that many unanswered questions!
Was this review helpful to you?
Unexpectedly Enjoyable After a Rocky Start
I honestly did not intend to watch this series at first, but having a 16-hour direct flight from SF to SG made me realize that I really needed something to watch for that long journey. So I gave *The WONDERfools* a try, mostly out of necessity.At the beginning, I have to admit that I underestimated this series. It felt messy, a little too chaotic, and I almost wanted to drop it. I also don’t usually enjoy silly characters when their behavior feels too random or unreasonable. But surprisingly, as the episodes went on, the series started getting better. The comedy, the found-family dynamic, and the imperfect superhero concept slowly grew on me. It is not the most polished drama, but it has its own charm, especially when the emotional and comedic moments actually land.
The one thing that stopped me from giving it a higher rating was Jun Mo. I really wanted to see what he could do, especially since he is supposed to be one of the special “children.” But until the end of the series, we still did not really get to see his full capability, which was kind of disappointing. Overall, it was a fun and surprisingly enjoyable watch, but I still wish the story had explored some characters and their powers more deeply.
Was this review helpful to you?
Felt too realistic for me ?
Just realized that some movies I’ve been watching lately somehow match my real-life experiences this whole week lol. This one especially reminded me of my transit at Changi Airport. With the help of AI, I was trying so hard to see the indoor waterfall without going through immigration, and somehow I just kept walking in circles between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 like I was trapped in an endless loop. 😭 Honestly, halfway through the movie I started laughing because it felt way too familiar. Okay… back to the movie before I start having airport flashbacks again.For such a simple premise, this movie was surprisingly entertaining and stressful at the same time. I love how it keeps you thinking together with the characters instead of just throwing random jump scares at you. The repetitive looping situation could’ve easily become boring, but the pacing, acting, and atmosphere made it weirdly immersive. Japanese horror/thrillers really know how to make ordinary places feel unsettling without trying too hard. The movie also lowkey feels like a reminder to stop being glued to your phone and actually pay attention to your surroundings… which is honestly funny considering I got lost because I trusted AI too much at the airport. 💀
Was this review helpful to you?
What's wrong with the ending?????
Watched this on a plane with zero context. The movie itself mixes multiple mystery stories together with twists, social media commentary, secret documentaries, murder cases, and some really tense moments. I actually enjoyed few stories a lot because they were suspenseful and kept introducing interesting reveals, especially the island kids storyline. The anthology format was fun at first, even if it made the movie feel longer than it needed to be.But near the end, things kinda went off the rails 😭 The final act tried way too hard to be deep and preachy, and instead of tying everything together smoothly, it just became messy and confusing. The open ending felt abrupt. Idk what were they trying to do, but it did not work like that....
Was this review helpful to you?
I Lowered My Expectations… and They Proved Me Wrong
This might be my most unexpected favorite series of 2025. I guess I need to update my “Best of 2025” list because this one just claimed a spot. 😭I’ve been following PondPhuwin for so long I can’t even remember when it started. Historically, their series either disappointed me or didn’t fully meet my expectations. That’s why I went into this one with my expectations set extremely low. But… it was actually really good.
I think this might be my most favorite PondPhuwin series so far. To me, Thee feels like a reincarnated version of Mhok (Fish Upon the Sky), but with a massive upgrade in every possible way.
So thank you to GMMTV for giving them this opportunity. And while we’re at it, I’m still hoping JoongDunk also gets another strong project. They deserve a series that truly showcases their potential as well.
Was this review helpful to you?
My closing of 2025?
Hopefully, this will be my last BL series of 2025.I need to release my 'favorites' list for the year. It has been really hard to move on from Shine; I’ve tried multiple series, but none of them worked. I ended up dropping them halfway through, including That Summer and Me and Who.
Who would have guessed that this silly little thing would finally help me move on from Shine? lol
I had actually watched Keen and Sea in other series before—Only Boo! and Head 2 Head—but once again, those shows didn't succeed in making me stay until the end. Of course, I had to add them to my 'dropped' list. I honestly didn't expect this series to be this good. Since my previous experience with these actors wasn't great, I really didn't want to waste my time with them. But then I realized this series was only four episodes long, and I am so glad I tried it!
I honestly love this series! Should I watch Head 2 Head next, or just stop here and let this be my wrap-up for 2025?
Was this review helpful to you?
School Trip: Joined a Group I’m Not Close To
0 people found this review helpful
Their cuteness is absolutely top-notch, でも。。。。。。。。
Even though I was smiling through almost every episode like a crazy person, I couldn’t give this series more stars than it deserves. Their cuteness is absolutely top-notch, but that’s pretty much what the series offers from beginning to end. It feels like something important is missing, something essential that every strong series should have.What I truly enjoyed about this series (aside from their undeniable chemistry and cuteness) were the references. It felt like a blend of several other JBL series released in recent years. I think that’s one of the reasons it gained so much attention across different platforms.
I still hope they continue the story into their college years, but I would love to see something more meaningful, something deeper rather than just a season filled entirely with lovey-dovey moments.
Was this review helpful to you?
Zombie Romance Got Me
I’ve been wanting to watch Newtopia for months, and honestly, I’m kind of glad I ended up finishing it in just a week. I thought it would take way longer, mostly because I really couldn’t stand Ji-soo’s character at first. She genuinely annoyed me more than the zombies did. But surprisingly, the show kept pulling me back. The comedy actually worked for me, which I didn’t expect at all, especially for a zombie drama. Somewhere along the way, I realized I was enjoying it way more than I thought I would.What really saved the series for me was how well it balanced its chaos. The romance itself is messy, no denying that, but it didn’t bother me too much. I didn’t mind waiting for Jae-Yun and Yeong-Ju to finally meet again, even though I was expecting (and kind of hoping for) a very different situation when it happened. The emotional payoff wasn’t perfect, but it was satisfying enough. And while the zombie elements weren’t groundbreaking, the mix of absurd humor, tension, and occasional heartfelt moments made the whole experience surprisingly fun to watch.
I’m not really a Korean drama fan in general, but I have to admit that zombie + Korean drama + romance is a genre combo that totally works for me. I didn’t expect to say this, but if more shows lean into this chaotic, emotional, slightly ridiculous formula, I’d definitely watch again. It’s not flawless, but it knows what it is, doesn’t take itself too seriously, and that’s exactly why it ended up being more enjoyable than I ever expected.
Was this review helpful to you?
Unusual bullying horror movies
We’re usually served horror stories where the bullied kids die and come back to get revenge on their bullies, but this movie twists that idea in a really unexpected way. At first, I was genuinely confused, because it didn’t feel fair at all to the victims. Even after the bullies died, the bullying didn’t stop. They were still being tormented, just this time by ghosts. That reversal honestly made me uncomfortable in a way I didn’t expect, and I wasn’t sure how to feel about it. Just when I thought I had figured out where the story was going, the movie hit me with another twist that completely caught me off guard… including an extremely unusual fetish element that I never would’ve imagined 😭.The twists were wild enough to keep me hooked, and I can see why people are talking about it. It’s creepy, disturbing, and oddly playful at times, which makes it stand out from typical revenge-horror stories. I do feel like people who were bullied in school might really hate this movie, and honestly, I get why. If that’s you, I’m genuinely sorry.
Was this review helpful to you?
Carried by Cast, Powered by Chaos
I couldn’t help but compare this series to Abadi Nan Jaya (The Elixir), mostly because I watched them back to back in the same week. And for me, Abadi Nan Jaya still wins. What surprised me, though, was seeing how much higher this show’s rating is in comparison. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. People aren’t watching this series to deeply analyze every detail or pick apart the writing, they’re watching it to be entertained. And in that sense, it works. It’s the kind of show you binge without thinking too hard, and I think that’s exactly why so many people rated it generously.The characters here are way more annoying than the ones in Abadi Nan Jaya. And weirdly enough… I didn’t hate that. The chaos, bad decisions, and straight-up frustrating personalities actually made the show easier to binge. I finished it in two days, mostly because I kept thinking, “Okay, what dumb thing are they going to do next?” This isn’t a show where you get super emotionally attached to everyone, but it keeps you watching through sheer momentum. It’s more about reactions than reflections.
If there’s one clear area where this series beats Abadi Nan Jaya, it’s the cast. Let’s be real, the casting is stacked. Mandee really said, “What if we put every BL actor people recognize into one zombie series?” and honestly, that move worked. Seeing familiar faces pop up constantly was fun, exciting, and definitely part of why the show got so much hype. The actors all did a solid job, and their presence alone carried a lot of scenes. That said, great casting can only take a show so far, it boosts popularity, but it doesn’t automatically fix storytelling issues.
I’d say this series had potential, strong production value, and a cast that did a lot of heavy lifting. It’s not something I’d praise for its depth or character development, but it is entertaining, fast to binge, and easy to recommend if you’re just looking for something fun and chaotic. I get why people enjoyed it, even if it didn’t fully land for me. I’ll probably still tune in for a second season. If nothing else, I’m curious to see whether they take the story somewhere more meaningful or just lean fully into the madness again.
Was this review helpful to you?
