I don't understand why they chose Emperor Yongzheng out of all the historical figures.
As someone who has already watched multiple shows about Yongzheng, I find him so out of character in this one. He’s humble, smart, and observant, but other aspects of his personality are so unlike the Yongzheng I’m familiar with. Historically, he was a very cautious and calculating person, but here he’s portrayed as extremely nosy and energetic. He also doesn’t really act his age (40s-50s).
She played quite a lot of East Asian ethnicities (Han, Wa, Mongol, Bai) and I didn't even know she was Central Asian this whole time. She really does look racially ambiguous 😭
The biggest problem for me is that the message about beauty feels contradictory. The drama is supposed to critique…
That part is what I found really unconvincing about this show. Maybe it's the director's storytelling. Or maybe it's the acting. To me, it felt more like he's thinking "at least Mi-rae doesn't piss me off like the others" rather than "I'm really interested in Mi-rae."
The biggest problem for me is that the message about beauty feels contradictory. The drama is supposed to critique…
Thank you so much for your kind words. I think what really irked me was that Kyung-seok, being an introvert, didn’t express his feelings (as in friendship) when Mi-rae was at her lowest. He was too passive. If he had stepped up sooner, maybe Mi-rae would have healed earlier and wouldn’t have felt the need to resort to plastic surgery. I’m not blaming him. I just find the whole situation very sad. Maybe I'm biased because I have dated someone who is similar to Kyung-seok, but the actions were very different, like he made a lot more of an effort to comfort me about looks as an introvert than Kyung-seok did.
Third time watching this. I've watched quite a few time-travel shows, but this is the only one where the humor is so consistent. The early episodes are packed with funny moments—it's honestly addictive!
And just to clarify, its concept is similar to Rooftop Prince, but the plot is completely different. There's no reincarnation or inheriting anyone's identity.
Hello, thank you so much for letting me know 💗!! I’ve already removed that movie from the list 😃!! I also…
I believe two lists is enough. One for ethnic groups recognized by the Chinese government today, and one for ancient minority ethnic groups in Chinese history.
Now that I think about it, I was a bit ignorant in my last comment. The Khitan case is more complicated than I thought. Although the Liao dynasty was not considered an orthodox Chinese dynasty under the traditional concept of political legitimacy in the way the Song was, historically speaking, Liao was still a multi-ethnic state considered part of Chinese history (the Russian word for China is "Kitay"). There was a large Han Chinese population within Liao that played a very important role in its bureaucracy and local administration. In this respect, Liao had some similarities to Northern Wei dynasty and Qing dynasty.
So, with this context, I would consider the Khitans, Jurchens, and Xianbei to be ancient minority ethnic groups within Chinese history, rather than simply viewing them as foreigners. So, I guess the true foreigners are Central Asians (Gokturk, Wusun) and Korean peninsula people (the ethnic-Mohe concubine in Legend of Xiao Chuo). Nanzhao and Dali kingdoms are in the gray area since they are regional polities in southwestern China with very direct historical connections to the ethnic groups of modern China.
Sorry for talking so much about that topic. Back to your question: It depends on whether you consider Taiwan an independent country or not. Mainland China officially recognizes the Gaoshan peoples as one of its ethnic groups (mainly about the ones in Fujian province), while Taiwan recognizes 16 distinct indigenous peoples. The two classification systems are different. Although they have historical and ancestral connections, they cannot be considered completely equivalent. (Indigenous Taiwanese people dislike the Gaoshan label, as it means "high mountains", completely disregarding indigenous peoples that traditionally lived in the plains.)
Side note: Creation of the Gods II is treated as pre-Han Chinese history. I don't remember it having distinct minority ethnic groups, unless this adaptation mentions the four barbarians (Rong, Di, Man, Yi).
Hello, thank you so much for letting me know 💗!! I’ve already removed that movie from the list 😃!! I also…
No worries, it's understandable! There’s just one thing I’m confused about, since you also included extinct peoples.
I noticed that you included the Khitans (The Legend of Xiao Chuo) and the Xiongnu (A Legend). Since those stories take place within their own countries, they are actually considered foreigners from the perspective of the Chinese dynasties of the time. I think a more appropriate example of minorities would be Khitans living within the Song Dynasty (A Change of Destiny), or Göktürks/Sogdians living within the Tang Dynasty (The Glory of Tang Dynasty, The Long Ballad).
As someone who has already watched multiple shows about Yongzheng, I find him so out of character in this one. He’s humble, smart, and observant, but other aspects of his personality are so unlike the Yongzheng I’m familiar with. Historically, he was a very cautious and calculating person, but here he’s portrayed as extremely nosy and energetic. He also doesn’t really act his age (40s-50s).
And just to clarify, its concept is similar to Rooftop Prince, but the plot is completely different. There's no reincarnation or inheriting anyone's identity.
Now that I think about it, I was a bit ignorant in my last comment. The Khitan case is more complicated than I thought. Although the Liao dynasty was not considered an orthodox Chinese dynasty under the traditional concept of political legitimacy in the way the Song was, historically speaking, Liao was still a multi-ethnic state considered part of Chinese history (the Russian word for China is "Kitay"). There was a large Han Chinese population within Liao that played a very important role in its bureaucracy and local administration. In this respect, Liao had some similarities to Northern Wei dynasty and Qing dynasty.
So, with this context, I would consider the Khitans, Jurchens, and Xianbei to be ancient minority ethnic groups within Chinese history, rather than simply viewing them as foreigners. So, I guess the true foreigners are Central Asians (Gokturk, Wusun) and Korean peninsula people (the ethnic-Mohe concubine in Legend of Xiao Chuo). Nanzhao and Dali kingdoms are in the gray area since they are regional polities in southwestern China with very direct historical connections to the ethnic groups of modern China.
Sorry for talking so much about that topic. Back to your question: It depends on whether you consider Taiwan an independent country or not. Mainland China officially recognizes the Gaoshan peoples as one of its ethnic groups (mainly about the ones in Fujian province), while Taiwan recognizes 16 distinct indigenous peoples. The two classification systems are different. Although they have historical and ancestral connections, they cannot be considered completely equivalent. (Indigenous Taiwanese people dislike the Gaoshan label, as it means "high mountains", completely disregarding indigenous peoples that traditionally lived in the plains.)
Side note: Creation of the Gods II is treated as pre-Han Chinese history. I don't remember it having distinct minority ethnic groups, unless this adaptation mentions the four barbarians (Rong, Di, Man, Yi).
I noticed that you included the Khitans (The Legend of Xiao Chuo) and the Xiongnu (A Legend). Since those stories take place within their own countries, they are actually considered foreigners from the perspective of the Chinese dynasties of the time. I think a more appropriate example of minorities would be Khitans living within the Song Dynasty (A Change of Destiny), or Göktürks/Sogdians living within the Tang Dynasty (The Glory of Tang Dynasty, The Long Ballad).
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1bx4y127VG