i really like Kang Ning (3rd Lady) and Fu Hui (2nd Lady) v much especially 3rd lady's story due to her wits but…
In case you want an explanation regarding DYX's actions, here's a comment I had written previously on this topic. Hope that helps!
Filial piety is what drove DYX's revenge since, at the time, it was a moral and social obligation for anyone to honor their parents.
DYX was raised by his foster mom, but he had to live with the thought that his bio mom and foster mom lost everything due to his father's greed. As a son (a scholar at that who is well versed in Confucian teachings), it was a duty to set right this wrong and sue his dad.
Now, he couldn't share all of this with Shouhua and SYR (Andao) because he didn't want them to suffer from the consequences of his revenge (exile/death penalty), but he also didn’t want them to try and dissuade him from his plan (as he'd then fail to honor his mothers).
Moreover, he chose to be ruthless with SH to ensure her reputation remains spotless after their divorce so can easily get married again.
Usually, we witness such stories from the POV of the person who is taking their revenge so it's easier to empathise with them, but in this instance, lots of people couldn't relate to DYX because his agenda wasn't made clear from the start.
I'm happy that you didn't give up on this brilliant series, produced with a high artistic and cultural level.…
Wow! I do have some interest in Chinese civilization, but haven't delved too much into that unfortunately. Will definitely take a note of the poets you've mentioned and read some of their works.
As for Shouhua, she's also my most favorite character in Perfect Match, and one of my most favorites in all c-dramaland. Very rarely do we get to see a character whose core strength mainly lies in their sobriety (which makes her tears all the more painful and her joys all the more enjoyable to witness).
I will make sure to look for the articles you've mentioned! Especially the one pertaining to Shouhua who is such an underrated character.
I'm happy that you didn't give up on this brilliant series, produced with a high artistic and cultural level.…
Your comment was brilliantly written, and so informative! I am so glad someone else picked up on all those details and motifs in SH's story. Hers was the most lyrical and tragic of all stories IMO, and I thouroughly enjoyed it.
i always liked him since the beginning; a person inflexible in his principles, very hard on himself, they way…
Same here! I knew from the start something was up with him and that his background wasn't that simple. So I wasn't surprised when he turned on his friend and wife as I knew he was doing this to protect them
I'm sure many people don't like DYX because there are many spoilers showing him hitting SH, divorcing her, making…
👏 100% correct
Lots of people minimize the importance of filial piety. This is what drove DYX's revenge since, at the time, it was a moral and social obligation for anyone to honor their parents.
DYX was raised by his foster mom, but he had to live with the thought that his bio mom and foster mom lost everything due to his father's greed. As a son (a scholar at that who is well versed in Confucian teachings), it was a duty to set right this wrong and sue his dad.
Now, he couldn't share all of this with Shouhua and SYR (Andao) because, as you said, he didn't want them to suffer from the consequences of his revenge (exile/death penalty), but he also didn’t want them to try and dissuade him from his plan (as he'd then fail to honor his mothers).
Moreover, he chose to be ruthless with SH to ensure her reputation remains spotless after their divorce so can easily get married again.
Usually, we witness such stories from the POV of the person who is taking their revenge so it's easier to empathise with them, but in this instance, lots of people couldn't relate to DYX because his agenda wasn't made clear from the start.
Personally, I love both SH and DYX and enjoyed their story the most. I am happy SH finally got to choose for herself when she forgave him. She married her 1st husband to protect her family, married DYX for 3rd sister's happinness, and was almost forced to marry SYR (Andao) to please her mother. I felt so bad for her when her family was trying to force her into a 3rd marriage...
Regarding the 1st sister, Sang Yan Ran was no prize! The dude was eager to marry her even though he knew damn…
Thanks for expanding on your views! I totally get where you're coming from :) On my end, I was thinking that I'd prefer not being involved if I were SH (wouldn't want to end up in jail or dead😂).
Now enjoying the 4th sister's story (although 1st sister's remains my fav), and let’s hope this one isn't full of moral dilemmas
Regarding the 1st sister, Sang Yan Ran was no prize! The dude was eager to marry her even though he knew damn…
DYX had no choice but to withhold the truth from SH because:
1) he didn't want her/their love to shake his resolve (filial piety was a paramount virtue at the time so he HAD TO avenge his mother) 2) he didn't want to implicate SH (as a sinner's kin, she could be executed or exiled), and also wanted to help her maintain her dignity (so she can remarry), that's why he divorced her unceremoniously.
SYR on the other hand THANKED HEAVENS for SH's divorce and was ready to marry her despite her unwillingness/firm refusal.
So I didn't care much for 3rd sister's romance and skipped 1st sister's story for the most part bc the Du guy…
Regarding the 1st sister, Sang Yan Ran was no prize! The dude was eager to marry her even though he knew damn well she was unwilling to be with him. I couldn't stand him after this.
Actually, I think Chai An was a better friend to DYX than SYR.
Wow! Those old laws were really something 🙄 Thank God, we're lucky to be existing in an age where the laws…
1st sister's CP (DYX + SH) is my favorite as well! Loved seeing their journey and hope to witness their peaceful days together.
1st sister (SH) is my favorite character overall. She's so gentle and kind (I loved that she took the maid back even though she had "betrayed" her, and how supportive she was of 4th sister's wish to marry)
Filial piety is what drove DYX's revenge since, at the time, it was a moral and social obligation for anyone to honor their parents.
DYX was raised by his foster mom, but he had to live with the thought that his bio mom and foster mom lost everything due to his father's greed. As a son (a scholar at that who is well versed in Confucian teachings), it was a duty to set right this wrong and sue his dad.
Now, he couldn't share all of this with Shouhua and SYR (Andao) because he didn't want them to suffer from the consequences of his revenge (exile/death penalty), but he also didn’t want them to try and dissuade him from his plan (as he'd then fail to honor his mothers).
Moreover, he chose to be ruthless with SH to ensure her reputation remains spotless after their divorce so can easily get married again.
Usually, we witness such stories from the POV of the person who is taking their revenge so it's easier to empathise with them, but in this instance, lots of people couldn't relate to DYX because his agenda wasn't made clear from the start.
As for Shouhua, she's also my most favorite character in Perfect Match, and one of my most favorites in all c-dramaland. Very rarely do we get to see a character whose core strength mainly lies in their sobriety (which makes her tears all the more painful and her joys all the more enjoyable to witness).
I will make sure to look for the articles you've mentioned! Especially the one pertaining to Shouhua who is such an underrated character.
I love DYX but I understand why lots of viewers are angry and disappointed because of his actions
Lots of people minimize the importance of filial piety. This is what drove DYX's revenge since, at the time, it was a moral and social obligation for anyone to honor their parents.
DYX was raised by his foster mom, but he had to live with the thought that his bio mom and foster mom lost everything due to his father's greed. As a son (a scholar at that who is well versed in Confucian teachings), it was a duty to set right this wrong and sue his dad.
Now, he couldn't share all of this with Shouhua and SYR (Andao) because, as you said, he didn't want them to suffer from the consequences of his revenge (exile/death penalty), but he also didn’t want them to try and dissuade him from his plan (as he'd then fail to honor his mothers).
Moreover, he chose to be ruthless with SH to ensure her reputation remains spotless after their divorce so can easily get married again.
Usually, we witness such stories from the POV of the person who is taking their revenge so it's easier to empathise with them, but in this instance, lots of people couldn't relate to DYX because his agenda wasn't made clear from the start.
Personally, I love both SH and DYX and enjoyed their story the most. I am happy SH finally got to choose for herself when she forgave him. She married her 1st husband to protect her family, married DYX for 3rd sister's happinness, and was almost forced to marry SYR (Andao) to please her mother. I felt so bad for her when her family was trying to force her into a 3rd marriage...
On my end, I was thinking that I'd prefer not being involved if I were SH (wouldn't want to end up in jail or dead😂).
Now enjoying the 4th sister's story (although 1st sister's remains my fav), and let’s hope this one isn't full of moral dilemmas
Also, I am not arguing with you :) Just wanted to share my POV. It was interesting to read yours. Cheers!
1) he didn't want her/their love to shake his resolve (filial piety was a paramount virtue at the time so he HAD TO avenge his mother)
2) he didn't want to implicate SH (as a sinner's kin, she could be executed or exiled), and also wanted to help her maintain her dignity (so she can remarry), that's why he divorced her unceremoniously.
SYR on the other hand THANKED HEAVENS for SH's divorce and was ready to marry her despite her unwillingness/firm refusal.
Actually, I think Chai An was a better friend to DYX than SYR.
Loved seeing their journey and hope to witness their peaceful days together.
1st sister (SH) is my favorite character overall. She's so gentle and kind (I loved that she took the maid back even though she had "betrayed" her, and how supportive she was of 4th sister's wish to marry)
Thanks a lot for the quick update!!!!
Guess next "age gap" couple will be 4th sister and Magistrate Shen!